Anthem - How many kids would be on ship the week before Christmas

That week will have nearly as many (if not more) than Xmas week. Most schools will be off that week and prices tend to be slightly cheaper than Xmas week. You should expect a LOT of kids based on my past experience. Probably the 1st or 2nd most kid-packed of the year (even more than the summer or Spring Break).

11 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Ship will be PACKED with families/children that week.   If you don't want kinds, pick another week. 

M

So that week will be packed with kind people, good to know.

• Haha 3

The week before Christmas should be quiet. There may be a few kids who go to private schools that get out earlier. But, public schools don't let out until December 23 so you should be okay. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

The week before Christmas should be quiet. There may be a few kids who go to private schools that get out earlier. But, public schools don't let out until December 23 so you should be okay. 

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan.  That is what I thought.  Carol

• Like 2

We sailed Jewel last year the week prior to Christmas. Jewel is  not traditionally a ship with lots of kids. Cruise was PACKED with kids/families.  

Many US public schools begin winter  break on December 15 this year. 
m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

That week will have nearly as many (if not more) than Xmas week. Most schools will be off that week and prices tend to be slightly cheaper than Xmas week. You should expect a LOT of kids based on my past experience. Probably the 1st or 2nd most kid-packed of the year (even more than the summer or Spring Break).

I was going to say the same thing.  If school's out, the ship will be full of kids.  We sailed ONCE years ago on a holiday, and it was a bad experience: 

- With so many kids on board, the ship sailed above 100% capacity; that is, a large number of cabins sailed with 3rd and 4th passengers.  I wasn't aware that "above 100%" was a thing until that cruise. 

- The pools and other amenities were more crowded than I had ever experienced.  

- This was before My Time Dining, and instead of being assigned to a "real table" in the dining room, we were placed in a "side room".  It felt like being at the kids' table.  On Day 1 I asked to be moved into the "real dining room" and was told it was impossible because of the crowds. 

- I watch my prices pretty carefully and usually see a price drop (not recently, but that's another topic), but this holiday cruise went up-up-up.  

We will never sail a holiday again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

I'm assuming you're referring to your own local public schools? That's definitely not the case throughout the country. 

To the OP: if kids are a dealbreaker for you, with home schooling and private schools both on the rise, public school schedules aren't the predictor they used to be.  Your best bet is probably a longer itinerary on a less family-oriented cruise line.  Or, if you just want to lessen your chances of hordes of kids ... anything other than the winter holidays, spring break and summer break. 

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I'm assuming you're referring to your own local public schools? That's definitely not the case throughout the country. 

To the OP: if kids are a dealbreaker for you, you're probably better off avoiding the holiday period. That being said, with home schooling and private schools both on the rise, public school schedules aren't the predictor they used to be.  Your best bet is probably a longer itinerary on a less family-oriented cruise line.  Or, if you just want to lessen your chances of hordes of kids ... anything other than the winter holidays, spring break and summer break. 

The OP is sailing on Anthem of the Seas which sails from the New York/New Jersey area. 90% of the kids on board will be from that area. 

Jonathan

13 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Jonathan

11 hours ago, cruiserking said:

The OP is sailing on Anthem of the Seas which sails from the New York/New Jersey area. 90% of the kids on board will be from that area. 

Jonathan

They last day of school before Winter/Christmas Break is Friday, Dec 22, 2023 for most public schools in NJ this year, including my district, the district my daughter teaches at and the district my grandkids go to.  Since I have quite a few friends in eastern PA, I believe they are on the same break schedule for Christmas as well.   So, I'm going to agree that there will not be a ton of kids unless they are traveling from different areas or attend local private schools that get out earlier. Definitely less than Christmas week.

14 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Jonathan

This is not true. Sailings from NJ are filled with people from Canada to NC and everywhere in between. Truthfully there’s never a cruise anymore that doesn’t have a ton of kids. People take their kids out of school without a thought anymore and there’s a lot doing homeschooling. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

Thanks Jonathan.  That is what I thought.  Carol

But many pull their kids early to start vacation especially if they are going to a vacation destination.  I would expect lots of kids and be pleasantly surprised if there are not.

Personal experience only....... but we'll pull the kids from school (and have at least 3 times) to Cruise anywhere from Dec 5(ish) on, to book those weeks between the 5th and Xmas.
Loads of other people also do this as the school "educational intensity" reduces during those few weeks before Xmas.
And we're Canadian sailing from Florida........ so while there is some truth to timing the port and its local school board breaks..... there's also no definitive formula.

If you're concerned about kids I'd suggest avoiding anything in December.

For that particular week, maybe choose a cruise line that caters more to adults like Celebrity, Princess, or Holland America?

We've sailed the week before Christmas on NCL (which caters to pretty much the exact same crowd as Royal) and didn't notice an abundance of kids.  Not at all.  Felt like most of the other cruises we do, however we are sailing  more and more now in the summer months (when kids are not in school)

18 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Jonathan

I disagree slightly,  we were on Anthem the week before Easter with over 1800 children on board. We are from the UK so easy to get to New York and a lot of passengers (with children) like us were from Europe.

21 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

We have been on the Anthem in December before.  Trying to avoid too many kids.  Would the week before Christmas (12/17 to 12/24) have less kids.  

My Magic 8 Ball says, "cannot predict now". 🎱

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Jonathan

That has not been our experience at all when we sail from Cape Liberty.  Lots of kids from Canada, New England and Pennsylvania, as well as the New York/New Jersey area.  Our recent roll call had more kids not from the New York/New Jersey area than from that area.  I would also expect the week in question to have a lot of kids as the kids sail free constant sale have really increased the numbers.