Woo Hoo... Britannia day today...

AndyMichelle

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Yes the pre-Epicurean restaurants were excellent. Our favourite was Oriana Rhodes. Pre-Covid we always felt that Epicurean on Ventura wasn’t as good as Epicurean on Britannia, but we are on both ships over the next few months, so will be interested to see if things have changed.

We only had a couple of cruises on Oriana, but I remember Arcadian Rhodes very fondly. It was a real step up from the MDR, at a time when the MDR was still very good 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I wasn't being evasive, just conscious that our experience will differ to others. 

The Epicurean food and service was just not what we expected or had previously... 

Firstly, no dress code. It was evening casual, we were smart, as we're many others. Others had tatty t shirts, jeans and trainers, not smart casual in my book. 1 party of scruffy guys were so loud, it spoilt the atmosphere. 

The amuse buche was missed completely for us and the pallette cleanser served after we had finished all courses as they forgot us... 

The steak I had was very poor quality and drastically overcooked. I ordered medium rare, it was very well done. 

When I queried it, the answer was that passengers don't usually like to see pink!!! 

Michelle had the pork t bone, it was also overcooked and very dry. The chips, ironically, were undercooked. 

The scallop starter just tasted of pepper. 

The desserts were good. 

No choice of petit fors, just 2 served in a dish. 

We spoke to the manager who said sorry, but that was it. 

We have cancelled our bookings for the other nights without penalty. 

Unfortunately, everything else is fully booked, we will take our chances joining the queue for the Glass House where we received outstanding service and great food. 

Andy 

What a shame Andy, I’m 90% sure the dress code applied to Epicurean on Ventura last week. We didn’t have any of the other problems you had either. I don’t blame you for cancelling.

• Like 3

Good morning all, 

Just some positives to be getting on with. 

The breakfast and lunches in the Peninsula restaurant have been great with excellent service. 

A completely different vibe to Oriental and I think this shows when they are both open for breakfast and one gets booked and the other doesn't... 

Feedback from other guests is that the freedom dining restaurants are working well with only a few first night hiccups. 

Entertainment was good again last night and our Glasshouse meal was good. 

It's Michelles birthday today, so time to spoil her. 

Have a good day

Andy 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm sure she's with the right man for that job Andy 😍

animated-happy-birthday-image-0089.gif.1d7e6637a8ebfe320b383a017d8097c5.gif Michelle🙂🙂😊

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good morning all, 

The breakfast and lunches in the Peninsula restaurant have been great with excellent service. 

A completely different vibe to Oriental and I think this shows when they are both open for breakfast and one gets booked and the other doesn't... 

Feedback from other guests is that the freedom dining restaurants are working well with only a few first night hiccups. 

Have a good day

Andy 

Dear Andy and Michelle

Firstly and most importantly - Happy Birthday Michelle!  I hope you have a very happy day. I don't know where you guys are today but I wish you all that a birthday should bring. Enjoy it.

Secondly, I'm so sorry your cruise hasn't been all you'd hoped for. I've been following your posts closely and am very disappointed for you both - especially your Epicurean experience. I know you will both be making the best of it and finding many positives - like hoping those oiks from Epicurean all catch Norovirus and are confined for the rest of your cruise!

Have a great day guys. Love and best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good morning all, 

Have a good day

Andy 

That’s great feedback Andy - many thanks. We shall aim for the Peninsular restaurant on our cruise and we always avoid the MDR on the first night anyway. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Glasshouse last night after your disappointing experience in Epicurean. Most importantly of all, a very ‘Happy Birthday’ to Michelle! 

P.S. Just looked at my notes for our cruise, and your feedback that Peninsular is the restaurant to use is also consistent with the feedback that P&O Sue gave during her cruise. Duly noted!

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good morning all, 

Have a good day

Andy 

Happy birthday Michelle.

michelle-3.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We were on Britannia fixed dining 2nd sitting table of 6 in March. We did speak with our waiters and head of dining room to resolve some things we weren't so happy with.

We wanted to choose dessert after we'd had mains. We wanted coffee after dessert.  Recall making a point of asking waiter and assistant what their names were as they had neglected to introduce themselves.

Everything was good after that, except one evening when main was too cold and had to be replaced. It was no problem otherwise.

Extra veg available if you asked. Ice cream with dessert if you asked. Don't be afraid to politely ask for whatever you need to help make your experience more memorable and, always say thank you for a good experience. Most of the waiters appreciate building positive vibes with those they are serving and they smile and relax more.

One thing that still could not be done was to keep bottle of wine for you for next night. You had to take it with you.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good morning all, 

Have a good day

Andy 

We prefer taking a lunch in the MDR, and avoid the buffet. It's so much more relaxing, and more hygienic.

Happy Birthday to Michelle 🎉🎈

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle absolutely loves Aurora, I found her a bit dated even in 2019.

The solace of Andersons is calling though, especially now the Crystal rooms on Britannia are being used for Karaoke, silent disco and quizzes after 9.15.

We used to enjoy the jazz band and watching the ballroom dancers with a night cap. 

Andy 

Yes she may be slightly dated,  but she feels like a comfortably pair of old slippers with a nice relaxed atmosphere, we spent 65 nights on board in January after been on Arcadia, Azamara Quest and HAL Konningsdam (all smaller ships than Britannia, Azura and Ventura) and loved her. Sailing on Azura after those ships was a culture shock and made our minds up to our future holiday choices be it cruising or otherwise. Aurora would be our ship of preference with P and O although we are going on Arcadia in January.  Anderson's is indeed a haven even though after 11pm we were normally the only people in ( suspect this been to the length of cruise).

When you have anticipated and looked forward to your cruise for so long I can fully understand your disappointment and feel a lot of your points and comments are fully justified, Just make the best of your holiday (quite sure you will) and best wishes to your good lady on her birthday  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Michelle (from me and my Michelle)!

47bb849b92b614409920978156b96f23.jpg

Hopefully the ship is well stocked so that you don't have this problem tomorrow!

IMG_3058.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

36 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

One thing that still could not be done was to keep bottle of wine for you for next night. You had to take it with you.

I had been under the impression that this was one of the ‘because of Covid’ excuses that had since been rescinded? We like to have a bottle of white and a bottle of red on the go in the MDR, but only drink about two-thirds of a bottle in total each night between us (mostly me, as my wife can’t drink much alcohol). Being able to leave the unused wine to be returned to the table the next time we used the MDR was always something that we loved about cruising. We buy different drinks in the bars and don’t drink in our cabin, so have no need to take the wine with us and it’s a pain in the proverbial having to walk around with half used bottles of wine and then having to remember to take them back next time. I hope that was a one off and someone can confirm that the previous facility to leave part used bottles in the MDR has returned, as I thought it had?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I had been under the impression that this was one of the ‘because of Covid’ excuses that had since been rescinded? We like to have a bottle of white and a bottle of red on the go in the MDR, but only drink about two-thirds of a bottle in total each night between us (mostly me, as my wife can’t drink much alcohol). Being able to leave the unused wine to be returned to the table the next time we used the MDR was always something that we loved about cruising. We buy different drinks in the bars and don’t drink in our cabin, so have no need to take the wine with us and it’s a pain in the proverbial having to walk around with half used bottles of wine and then having to remember to take them back next time. I hope that was a one off and someone can confirm that the previous facility to leave part used bottles in the MDR has returned, as I thought it had?

Believe they had been experiencing issues with being unable to locate half used bottles the following night and, determined best option at that time was to not keep.  It may well be that they have resolved whatever the pitfall was and now reinstated for passengers to leave part used bottles?

It did put us off purchasing wine in the MDR as we only tend to drink half each evening.  As we normally have a pre-dinner drink we sometimes purchased a bottle of wine in the Glass House, had a glass pre-dinner and then took the rest of the bottle to MDR to enjoy with our dinner.

It may well be that procedure they follow will differ from ship to ship at any given time.

We aren't due to sail with P&O again until next year so will have to wait and see.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

In many cases buying wine in large glasses, 250ml, is no more expensive that buying by the bottle and sometimes cheaper. I suspect this is now P&Os favoured system, it is probably quicker for the waiters, and probably only needs one "wine" waiter per MDR to open bottles and pour the wine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I haven't checked, as an open bottle of wine is an empty bottle in our case, but plenty of people are carrying around half empty bottles, so I assume they no longer keep them. 

I will investigate further tonight. 

Andy 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

We were on Britannia fixed dining 2nd sitting table of 6 in March. We did speak with our waiters and head of dining room to resolve some things we weren't so happy with.

We wanted to choose dessert after we'd had mains. We wanted coffee after dessert.  Recall making a point of asking waiter and assistant what their names were as they had neglected to introduce themselves.

Everything was good after that, except one evening when main was too cold and had to be replaced. It was no problem otherwise.

Extra veg available if you asked. Ice cream with dessert if you asked. Don't be afraid to politely ask for whatever you need to help make your experience more memorable and, always say thank you for a good experience. Most of the waiters appreciate building positive vibes with those they are serving and they smile and relax more.

See, we don't seem to have a designated waiter and assistant, we are part of a section that has multiple servers doing different things. They are not very approachable or helpful, but efficient and hard working. 

You can tell their remit is to get you out of there as quick as possible. 

I get fed up with having to ask for absolutely everything, no sauces offered etc. 

These guys definitely don't have time or don't want to have positive vibes with anyone, we did try... 

Portion sizes are plentiful and all the food served hot, just the friendliness of service and quality of food on a couple of occasions has been lacking. 

We are going to try the mdr again tonight as its beef Wellington and we cancelled our Epicurean booking, so let's hope it's improved over the course of the week. 

Andy 

• Like 9