Question re the Ascent

2 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Just curious considering how controversial the infinite verandahs are, is Celebrity reducing the number of them on the Ascent?

She is the sister ship of Beyond, so no.  Plans were made years ago. 

54 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Just curious considering how controversial the infinite verandahs are

There are a plethora of posts of this forum expressing all sides of the "controvers[y]".  No reduction.

2 hours ago, jwlane said:

There are a plethora of posts of this forum expressing all sides of the "controvers[y]".  No reduction.

Yes, some people love them, some people hate them, and some people don't care.

I was just wondering given the mixed opinions and the lack of true traditional balconies which are popular, whether they might reduce the number of those on a new ship.  I thought I read that the Icon of the seas is planning to have some but only a small number.

We are going on an Ascent Cruise in July 2024, with an IV.

First time on Edge Class/ First time Mediterranean/ First time without a full balcony.

should be very interesting for many reasons.

Hopefully good all around 

Celebrity made a 5-ship commitment for the Edge Class ships and non-traditional IV cabins, the Ascent is the 4th of these ships. I was told while onboard the Equinox last month that a 5th yet unnamed E Class ship is scheduled for late 2025 or 2026. With all the debt of RCL, I doubt Celebrity will be committing to any more new ship builds for some time.

• Like 1

Pretty straight forward. It is your money, your choice as a cruising consumer.

If you want E-Class then it is an IV.  Or a limited number of Sunset verandas have balconies as do all suites.  This is the situation for all current and future E-Class ships.

If you want a true balcony, choose M- or S-Class.  Or another cruise line.

• Like 3

I agree with @terrydtx that Celebrity has a contract with the shipbuilder for five ships. The contract would include specific design specifications, some of which would be impossible or quite costly to modify. This means it’s unlikely that Celebrity will either abandon the fifth ship build or pay for expensive structural modifications. 

While it is true that RCL - like every other publicly held cruise company - emerged form the pandemic shutdown burdened with unanticipated debt, that is not the only reason Celebrity would be unlikely to commit to a new build for some time. Historically, there have been lulls between build cycles. There was a gap of six years between the launch of the last Millennium class ship (Connie) and the launch of Solstice. There was also a gap of six years between the launch of the last Solstice class ship (Reflection) and Edge. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

While it is true that RCL - like every other publicly held cruise company - emerged form the pandemic shutdown burdened with unanticipated debt, that is not the only reason Celebrity would be unlikely to commit to a new build for some time. Historically, there have been lulls between build cycles. There was a gap of six years between the launch of the last Millennium class ship (Connie) and the launch of Solstice. There was also a gap of six years between the launch of the last Solstice class ship (Reflection) and Edge. 

I would bet when Celebrity does decide to build out a new class of ships it will be some revolutionizing new concept. Solstice Class was the first to introduce live grass fields and mostly balcony cabins, both new concepts at the time. The E Class was a total revolution with dedicated retreat facilities, innovated hull design and the love them or hate them IV balconies.

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The next Celebrity ship is in 2025 

There is 60 ships on order , with 134,457 Berths 

Going to hard to fill all these new and existing cabins 

IMG_5715.thumb.jpeg.e2b35b2292226e83b5d8e6b9cb8774b4.jpeg

I think we will see more of the older and smaller ships of the mainstream cruise lines being sold off or scaped during the same time. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, theopup said:

We are going on an Ascent Cruise in July 2024, with an IV.

First time on Edge Class/ First time Mediterranean/ First time without a full balcony.

should be very interesting for many reasons.

Hopefully good all around 

The OP says that IV's are controversial. I say they are misunderstood. I enjoy the Infinite Veranda because I understand its function, its purpose and its efficiency. It seems that for every 1 advocate, there are 5 critics. That is understandable because the concept is new and different. Everything about your upcoming 2024 cruise from the ship class to the itinerary to the cabin type is first-class. Think of it as such and know just how all around good and interesting your sailing will be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

The OP says that IV's are controversial. I say they are misunderstood. I enjoy the Infinite Veranda because I understand its function, its purpose and its efficiency. It seems that for every 1 advocate, there are 5 critics. That is understandable because the concept is new and different. Everything about your upcoming 2024 cruise from the ship class to the itinerary to the cabin type is first-class. Think of it as such and know just how all around good and interesting your sailing will be.

Very well put!

13 hours ago, jwlane said:

It'll actually have more.

I'm not sure of the actual room count, but if you look at the deck plans for the Icon, Decks 9,10,11 have MAJORITY of the cabins as IV's;whatsmore, there are new IV categories with larger cabin space meant for families. So far from being a failed concept, Royal has embraced the IV concept as ONE of the various cabin types it offers.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I think we will see more of the older and smaller ships of the mainstream cruise lines being sold off or scaped during the same time. 

I agree, those were my thoughts years ago.

It was just a matter of time, IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I agree, those were my thoughts years ago.

It was just a matter of time, IMO.

I enjoy cruising on new ships, exploring all the nooks and crannies, along with enjoying the ride!  There is always that excitement onboard, not to mention all the planning/packing for another adventure.

6 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I enjoy cruising on new ships, exploring all the nooks and crannies, along with enjoying the ride!  There is always that excitement onboard, not to mention all the planning/packing for another adventure.

We fell in love with the E class ships and have sailed exclusively on them since the Edge Inaugural. Can’t wait to be on board the Ascent!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

We fell in love with the E class ships and have sailed exclusively on them since the Edge Inaugural. Can’t wait to be on board the Ascent!

I remember when the Edge was being first introduced and on every Celebrity cruise we took there was always something about it on the stateroom TV. We said no way not for us. Then we took a cruise on the Apex based on the itinerary this past March. Needless to say we were wrong. Got the Edge booked for a future cruise.  

• Like 4

We have sailed on all the E class of ships and absolutely love them... 

However having said that we love both the M & S class of ships too as all have their pros & cons.... 

For a hot weather cruise I especially love an E class as the Retreat Sundeck is marvellous but again not unhappy with any of the ships...

We have only sailed on Edge once. That sailing we were in a sky suite. My dislikes are. Luminae has limited food choices and noisy. Edge Retreat does not have a real bar. Retreat sundeck had limited shade. Retreat sundeck bar seating area. Not a nice area for lunch on port day when it rains as you get wet. Yes we got wet. Luminae not open on port days for lunch.

Friends booked Apex for Iceland. We decided to join them and give E Class suites another try. Apex does have a bar in the Retreat Lounge.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We have only sailed on Edge once. That sailing we were in a sky suite. My dislikes are. Luminae has limited food choices and noisy. Edge Retreat does not have a real bar. Retreat sundeck had limited shade. Retreat sundeck bar seating area. Not a nice area for lunch on port day when it rains as you get wet. Yes we got wet. Luminae not open on port days for lunch.

Friends booked Apex for Iceland. We decided to join them and give E Class suites another try. Apex does have a bar in the Retreat Lounge.

I think you will be happier with Apex. 😉 😊

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I don't necessarily agree.  I completely understand it's function, purpose and efficiency.  And I don't like it.  It has nothing to do with being a new concept or that it is different.  I spend lots of time sitting on my balcony and relaxing when I cruise (which is often - 6-10 per year since retirement).  I cannot get that same experience in an IV cabin.  So unless I can afford a suite I don't sail that class.  For those who cruise differently, and don't use their balcony much, it could be a nice change.  But my point is that not everyone who dislikes it doesn't understand it.  We have good, solid reasons for not liking it.  I also don't happen to prefer the design or ambiance on E class ships overall, but that is a personal preference as well.  I will still sail them as I love Celebrity overall, but they are not my first choice for sure.

Sorry for the rant, but I get tired of people implying that the reason I don't like something new is because I can't handle something new, or don't understand change.  I am an intelligent person who has the right to have my own likes, dislikes, and opinions overall.  There are many new things Celebrity has done over the years that I am a big fan of.  IV's are not one of them.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

IMHO, if they would just change the HVAC system so it would run if the window was open but the doors going into the room were closed would eliminate a lot of the unhappiness with the cabin. 

• Like 4