Visa required for Americans traveling to EU starting in 2024?

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

I don't mind the $8, but for lordy's sake, its such an invasion or privacy and such an opportunity for Identity Theft.

Hilarious, the US wants to know everything about you before you travel, finger prints, photo and all sorts of other stuff

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Hopefully we follow suit and charge Europeans 

You already do , have been for years , it is called an ESTA.

Edit:  Hubby was reading today that the delay  in implementing the European visa is due to the Olympics being held in France and they don't want anything jeopardising tourists visiting during that period . 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yowman said:

You weren't aware that the US already does this for European travellers to the US??

Yep. For ESTA I’d need to pay $14 USD for 2 years

I’ll also need to pay for Etias. It will be €7 (or $8) for 3 years

Fwiw I don’t mind paying for either

11 hours ago, icat2000 said:

You already do.  ESTA. and its not cheap either. 

Only $21 for two years last time I applied - which seems pretty cheap to me compared to the cost of the rest of the trip.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:29 AM, CPT Trips said:

Your post is mostly correct. But The Republic of Ireland is an EU member so ETIAS will be needed to visit all but the small portion of the Island still occupied. 

You might want to let ETIAS know their website is wrong then 🙂

On 7/29/2023 at 2:29 AM, CPT Trips said:

Your post is mostly correct. But The Republic of Ireland is an EU member so ETIAS will be needed to visit all but the small portion of the Island still occupied. 

IIRC the ETIAS is actually for Schegen nt EU members.

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

You might want to let ETIAS know their website is wrong then

ETIAS is a planned electronic authorisation system of the European Union for visa-exempt visitors travelling to the Schengen Area (including EFTAcountries), with the exception of the Republic of Ireland, which is part of the Common Travel Area.

Just to clarify. The ETIAS will only be for those countries in the Schengen Area together with Cyprus, Bulgaria and Romania.

Of more concern there will also be EES (Entry and Exit System) where you will have to record your entry and exit in and out of the above countries. How this will operate for cruise passengers has not yet been decided but under the current rules every passenger entering a port and leaving a port will have register their details (facial recognition and fingerprints). With the best of intentions there will be long queues (anything up to two hours, or more) to disembark and the same to re-embark (something akin to non US citizens entering the US) - and yes it will apply to UK citizens as well.

Edited by david63

On 7/30/2023 at 5:28 AM, cruzsnooze said:

Hopefully we follow suit and charge Europeans 

The US has had its equivalent for years.

The EU implemented this (making the US pay) in retaliation for the US system charging them.

The EU offered to exempt US citizens, if the US would exempt EU citizens from its similar system.

Edited by ldtr

31 minutes ago, aForestr said:

No big deal.  It's the world we live in today.  However, that being said, it's a little itchy as an American cruising to Le Harve and needing a permit to visit Normandy.  Just saying.

Back in 2017 at LeHavre passports were stamped both arriving and before leaving - with only one agent on duty there was quite a backup in the terminal.

17 hours ago, aForestr said:

No big deal.  It's the world we live in today.  However, that being said, it's a little itchy as an American cruising to Le Harve and needing a permit to visit Normandy.  Just saying.

Re: the bolded:

Why?

17 hours ago, aForestr said:

Since 2009 the French have had to buy an ESTA to visit the USA.

Despite their involvement in Yorktown VA, 1781 and the US War of Independence

Just sayin' 😏 

JB 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Perhaps you can point out where their website is wrong.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/who-should-apply_en

JB 🙂

Oh their website is perfectly accurate, because it doesn't list Ireland as an ETIAS country. The person I responded to said Ireland needed ETIAS, and I jokingly told them they better let ETIAS know their website was incorrect because it didn't list Ireland. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zach1213 said:

Oh their website is perfectly accurate, because it doesn't list Ireland as an ETIAS country. The person I responded to said Ireland needed ETIAS, and I jokingly told them they better let ETIAS know their website was incorrect because it didn't list Ireland. 

Ooops, beggin' your pardon, Zach - I aimed at the wrong person 🙄

Can we call it friendly fire ? 😏

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ooops, beggin' your pardon, Zach - I aimed at the wrong person 🙄

Can we call it friendly fire ? 😏

JB 🙂

image.png.612f55899949a432431bdce208d1e9e1.png

(I'm just giving you a hard time because I'm bored on a 12 hour flight) 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Has anyone heard whether the EU is moving forward with this requirement? Has X or any TAs mentioned this?

Will this be another hoop for us cruisers?

e

It still appears that the EU will be implementing the ETIAS requirement next year.  You will be doing it online and it will cost 7 Euros.  Authorization is supposed to be pretty quick.  It sounds similar to the e-visa application that we had to make to travel to Australia and New Zealand.  I don't think it will be a big deal--you just have to remember to do it. 

• Thanks 1