Don't assume...read the information

I'll start by saying I should have been more diligent in reading the documentation.  I'm not blaming anyone else but certainly don't want anyone else to do what I did.

June 2022 I booked a cabin on Oasis with the intent of inviting a friend of dd's along on our 9 night (now sailing without us).  At some point I realized that I wasn't sure the cabin we had would accommodate 4.  We hadn't invited friend yet.  I was unaware of the rule that you can move to a different cabin in the same category without penalty, and apparently got on the phone a rep who also was unaware. 

After a second call and pleading my case, the agent made me feel he was doing me a favor by talking his boss into it.   I was eternally grateful.   I paid $800 on the spot to add #4 and went on my way.

Thursday, dh tested positive for Covid (hence, we're not on Oasis right now).  Sadly called to cancel on Thursday to discover that when my hero agent changed our cabin and added #4, he removed the insurance.  I really had no idea. He didn't discuss or advise and I never checked the paperwork because I just assumed all else was the same. 

Luckily documentation of a positive covid test was on hand (dh wanted to be sure because our 2 home tests were expired).  They advised we could get a refund but it'd take 30+ days.

In the end we would have boarded the ship if we were otherwise going to lose it all.  Not blaming the agent necessarily but it would have been nice to know we weren't covered. As an aside my MIL who turned 96 three days ago is recovering from hip surgery....I always take insurance but this time was even more crucial. 

The whole thing just su**s but learn from my mistakes...read everything.   Be aware...because they may not disclose or discuss. 

So sorry about all of this but glad you're at least getting a refund.

7 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

The whole thing just su**s

Not much more to say other than I can't wait for you to have a cruise without any issues. They exist, I promise!

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

At some point I realized that I wasn't sure the cabin we had would accommodate 4.  We hadn't invited friend yet.  I was unaware of the rule that you can move to a different cabin in the same category without penalty, and apparently got on the phone a rep who also was unaware. 

You can move within the same exact category (i.e. 4D to 4D).  You cannot move from a 4D balcony to a 3D balcony.

If your cabin only held 3, you could not freely move to a cabin holding 4.

Edited by Another_Critic

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

So sorry about all of this but glad you're at least getting a refund.

Not much more to say other than I can't wait for you to have a cruise without any issues. They exist, I promise!

I have no choice but to believe you. Lol let me go on record and say I have another 9 night booked for June 2024. Maybe I should take bets on how it winds up?

Dang....and I should make sure I have the insurance.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear that you ended up cancelling your sailing.    I hope your DH is feeling better and has a speedy recovery.   

Yes, you are definitely right that you have to read your invoice anytime a change request is made.   I usually ask the agent to email the updated invoice while I am on the phone with them so I can review and make sure everything looks right so I avoid having to make another phone call. 

Did they provide you with any special instructions on how to get a full refund due to positive covid test?

I hope you are able to re-book a new stress-free cruise soon.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did they provide you with any special instructions on how to get a full refund due to positive covid test?

Thank you. 

The agent said that they couldn't cancel our reservation because the final manifest had already been sent. So once the sailing is over, the refund process would automatically begin. 

I asked for it in writing but he said it's all attached to the original reservation.   He'd emailed me and asked me to reply with a photo of the positive results.   That's the documentation I've got. 

We were trying to be decent people and not board while positive.  If it backfires on me I'll be devastated   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sadiwest said:

Thank you. 

The agent said that they couldn't cancel our reservation because the final manifest had already been sent. So once the sailing is over, the refund process would automatically begin. 

I asked for it in writing but he said it's all attached to the original reservation.   He'd emailed me and asked me to reply with a photo of the positive results.   That's the documentation I've got. 

We were trying to be decent people and not board while positive.  If it backfires on me I'll be devastated   

You are doing the right thing and hopefully Royal does the right thing and makes your refund process go smoothly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sadiwest said:

Thank you. 

How they asked you to submit the claim is exactly how I submitted many for clients and they were all refunded as you described above.  There is nothing abnormal about what you are describing.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

How they asked you to submit the claim is exactly how I submitted many for clients and they were all refunded as you described above.  There is nothing abnormal about what you are describing.

Definitely makes me feel better.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I didn't know that you can still get a full refund if you have COVID.  I thought that expired quite a while ago

I don't think they want people on the ship knowingly bringing Covid aboard. If they had told me we would get a credit, even, for what we spent I'd have been happy.  But I was definitely having an emotional breakdown hearing on Thursday that we had no insurance...    try to be a decent person and lose big time is not my idea of good karma.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

What is being refunded?  The entire cruise cost?  Just the taxes/fee/extras?

Stay well

M

They said everything.  I asked about things like excursions and drink packages (etc)....I was assured everything.  Again....I won't see anything for quite some time so I can't confirm from experience yet. 

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

I have no choice but to believe you. Lol let me go on record and say I have another 9 night booked for June 2024. Maybe I should take bets on how it winds up?

Dang....and I should make sure I have the insurance.  

We have found annual insurance through an outside provider to be cheaper overall. 

• Like 1

Even though the website still says the COVID refund policy expired May 31 the ticket contract still says if you are denied boarding due to a positive test within 5 days of boarding you can get a FCC or refund.

"e. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 Pre-Cruise. Passenger agrees that if at any time within five (5) days prior to embarkation, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19, exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19 or has had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or Carrier otherwise determines in its sole discretion that Passenger is unfit to board because of any communicable illness, Carrier may deny boarding to such Passenger. Unless Carrier determines that Passenger has failed to comply with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, any Passenger denied boarding under these circumstances will be entitled to either a refund or a future cruise credit equal in value to the Cruise Fare Passenger paid to Carrier, as provided in Carrier’s COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy. Carrier, in its sole discretion, may require Passenger to provide verification satisfactory to Carrier of Passenger’s positive test result if the test was administered by a provider other than those retained by Carrier. If Passenger seeks to cancel their cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19, please refer to Carrier’s COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy at www.RoyalCaribbean.com. Under no circumstances shall Carrier have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel."

The wording appears to imply that if they tell you that you can't board, you can get a FCC or refund, but if you decide to cancel you need to rely on your insurance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sadiwest said:

I'll start by saying I should have been more diligent in reading the documentation.  I'm not blaming anyone else but certainly don't want anyone else to do what I did.

June 2022 I booked a cabin on Oasis with the intent of inviting a friend of dd's along on our 9 night (now sailing without us).  At some point I realized that I wasn't sure the cabin we had would accommodate 4.  We hadn't invited friend yet.  I was unaware of the rule that you can move to a different cabin in the same category without penalty, and apparently got on the phone a rep who also was unaware. 

After a second call and pleading my case, the agent made me feel he was doing me a favor by talking his boss into it.   I was eternally grateful.   I paid $800 on the spot to add #4 and went on my way.

Thursday, dh tested positive for Covid (hence, we're not on Oasis right now).  Sadly called to cancel on Thursday to discover that when my hero agent changed our cabin and added #4, he removed the insurance.  I really had no idea. He didn't discuss or advise and I never checked the paperwork because I just assumed all else was the same. 

Luckily documentation of a positive covid test was on hand (dh wanted to be sure because our 2 home tests were expired).  They advised we could get a refund but it'd take 30+ days.

In the end we would have boarded the ship if we were otherwise going to lose it all.  Not blaming the agent necessarily but it would have been nice to know we weren't covered. As an aside my MIL who turned 96 three days ago is recovering from hip surgery....I always take insurance but this time was even more crucial. 

The whole thing just su**s but learn from my mistakes...read everything.   Be aware...because they may not disclose or discuss. 

I learned from past mistakes and anytime there's a change to my reservations I do not end the call until I get the revised invoice and examine the changes.  Just the difference in pricing should have been an indicator.  

Ps.  I also charge any travel to my Chase Sapphire card which cover trip cancellation and interruption.  Used the benefit multiple times and it's covered (including any change fees) by Zurich Insurance.

So make 100% sure you have test results from a certified lab that the cruise line will accept. Your agent may/may not k ow exactly what is acceptable for a refund versus a forfeit cancellation. 

The info you get on this and the other site (don't think I can say it's name here) is 100% more accurate then the "help" Royal hires to take calls. There info is almost always wrong. In my experience anyway.

So glad you listened about the pvsa. His trip to Florida would have been for nothing. Again, another example of us knowing more than the 3rd rate overseas cheap help Royal employs.

I personally have zero experience with the 5 day before travel covid refund still being in effect. If that too was false information in the end, fight, fight, fight. 

Start planning next time now. Bigger and better. Try booking 12 months or more in advance for best rates. Also don't buy insurance from Royal. If you did it separately on your own you would still have it after you made the change. More control when you book it yourself.

Bigger and better. Which ship? Let's start planning!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drjohn4 said:

Even though the website still says the COVID refund policy expired May 31 the ticket contract still says if you are denied boarding due to a positive test within 5 days of boarding you can get a FCC or refund.

"e. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 Pre-Cruise. Passenger agrees that if at any time within five (5) days prior to embarkation, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19, exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19 or has had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or Carrier otherwise determines in its sole discretion that Passenger is unfit to board because of any communicable illness, Carrier may deny boarding to such Passenger. Unless Carrier determines that Passenger has failed to comply with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, any Passenger denied boarding under these circumstances will be entitled to either a refund or a future cruise credit equal in value to the Cruise Fare Passenger paid to Carrier, as provided in Carrier’s COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy. Carrier, in its sole discretion, may require Passenger to provide verification satisfactory to Carrier of Passenger’s positive test result if the test was administered by a provider other than those retained by Carrier. If Passenger seeks to cancel their cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19, please refer to Carrier’s COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy at www.RoyalCaribbean.com. Under no circumstances shall Carrier have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel."

The wording appears to imply that if they tell you that you can't board, you can get a FCC or refund, but if you decide to cancel you need to rely on your insurance.

Do you have a link to this?  I tried to find something the other day and only found the wording with the expired dates that @molly361 is also referring to, so I thought the refund policy was over too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sadiwest said:

In the end we would have boarded the ship if we were otherwise going to lose it all.  

Did you not intend to insure the 4th person? That would have been an additional charge you should have looked for?

I don't think they want people on the ship knowingly bringing Covid aboard. If they had told me we would get a credit, even, for what we spent I'd have been happy.  But I was definitely having an emotional breakdown hearing on Thursday that we had no insurance...    try to be a decent person and lose big time is not my idea of good karma.

Looking back at your other threads on this same topic, you knew you had all been exposed to covid shortly before the sail date and yet you state you would have gone if you didn’t get reimbursed. And then you claim trying to be a decent person. Contradictory.

FWIW most of us would likely have chosen the same. Covid should not even be a consideration anymore to to many it is.

3 hours ago, sadiwest said:

They don't want people with the flu, norovirus or other illnesses either.  People board everyday that either don't care that they're sick or don't know.  It's just like everyday life.  Sick people are out and about.

12 minutes ago, BND said:

Annual insurance.  That way you don't have to worry about adding it.   BTW, excursions, drink packages (all extras) are refunded even if the cruise isn't.

Depending on which policy one chooses, annual insurance offers little to no cancellation coverage. It does not work for everyone.

• Like 1