The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 19th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Aviation Day, National Potato Day, and World Humanitarian Day

When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I'm already better than them.--Marilyn Monroe

Meal Suggestion for today - Copycat Panda Express Chow Mein
Drink of the Day - Sauza Cilantro Jalapeno Margarita
Wine of the Day - Isaac Fernandez - Egeo Rueda Verdejo 2021
Destination of the Day - Broome WA, Kimberley, Western Australia

Today in History:
1839 Details of Louis Daguerre's 1st practical photographic process are released in Paris

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington d1500

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada d1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Whittier, Alaska eta 20 Aug

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Invergordon, Scotland eta 20 Aug

Noordam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 20 Aug

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands 0700-1700

Volendam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Westerdam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam

St Pierre et Miquelon 0700-2200

Zuiderdam

Qaqortoq, Greenland 0800-1700

0819World.thumb.png.21a47f4a8df96ba9f9668a3f726e6d63.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 18

Sauza Cilantro Jalapeno Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
1 1/2 parts DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
1/2 part Lime Juice
3 Sprig Cilantro
1 slice Jalapeno Pepper

Instructions
Combine Sauza® Signature Blue Silver Tequila, DeKuyper® Triple Sec, fresh lime juice, and jalapeño slice in a shaker with ice. Shake and strain over ice. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 6.45.51 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 18

Good morning from a very cool Southern Ontario.  It's only 9C (48F) this morning, too cold for August.  I hope it warms up this afternoon.

Three good days.  I salute aviators, I have to fly to cruise.  I love potatoes.  Fried, baked, mashed or scalloped, I love them all.  We need more Humanitarians, our world is suffering.

Another interesting quote from Miss Monroe.

I'm sure I'll like the meal, looking forward to seeing a recipe.  The drink looks tasty too, thanks for the recipe.  I hope I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  Have a wonderful day.

• Like 28

Thank you for today's daily reports.

After heavy overnight rain it is now dry but very windy and 66°F.

Aviation day is special as well as World humanitarian day.

The chow mein sounds interesting.

We have never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 offered to all they might help.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to their weekend.

Screenshot_20230819_115102.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_115127.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends!  We are docked in St. Pierre and Miquelon, France this morning.  Seems odd leaving the Canadian ports for a day to stop at this French island.  The weather is gloomy and wet.  It is 63F and not raining at the moment but we expect any time it wants to today.  If it's raining at 2 pm, which is our meeting time for our Sailor's Island tour we may just skip it.  There are no details on how we get there so we are in the dark.  Secondly I have picked up a little cold and am not in the mood for uncomfortable tour conditions. 

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet report.  Also big thanks to Tina, Dixie, Ann and Vanessa for helping you out with contributions!  Prayers for the Care list and cheers to the Celebration list people.  I hope all are on the road to recovery and the rest of you are having a great day.

Yesterday Seabourn Quest was in port with us.  That is the only Seabourn ship we've cruised on (twice) and I do enjoy the Seabourn cruises a lot.  It's nice to hear some of you are venturing out to trying new experiences.  They do a great job!

Yesterday's soccer game was a tie 1 - 1.  The opposition from Los Angeles scored in the last minute of added time.  Ren only played 3 minutes first game and 11 minutes yesterday.   We saw a brief video of Ren's big play where he zoomed up the field, with the defender way behind him.  Then he left kicked the ball (not his dominant foot) to one of the two teammates in front of the net, but they failed to get a score.  Darn!  We've been told this is more like a showcase instead of a tourney.  They only play 70 minutes instead of the official 90 minutes.  This is because there are too many games and teams to play the entire 90 minutes.  I just wish Colton was on the team with Ren.  They knew each other inside and out and would have made that score.  Anyway, they're having fun and we enjoyed hearing the Spanish commentary on the video clip during Ren's play.  He got so excited and screamed Senor Ren (last name)______!!!  🤣

Our port of the day is Broome in Western Australia.  That was our port once before, on November 15, 2022.  Here is the link and my photos for Broome.

Here are my photos of Broome.

On Oct. 23, 2017 Sun Princess stopped at Broome in Western Australia during our circumnavigation of Australia.  It was hot!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjwC9v4KnKM3BTgAOOe1Xk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561500

It seemed like a small town to us.  Certainly there were no skyscrapers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLeYW2IoUrys5Pon6xo7RN_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561530

We had noticed the Holden autos when in Australia but the government shut down that industry for some reason.  Here is a dealership back then in Broome.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKeHwvKKsJUvxpHlbwsxTMB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561531

We were dropped off our shuttle downtown where you saw anytime they could, a shade structure was installed to help keep you cool.  Didn't help quite enough though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKA3kLyn1PEvqvxx44WuqCS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561549

Ahhh!  Shopping!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjksxQMifoSHFjAyE7Sk8r?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561548

A restaurant with patrons sitting outside.  I would prefer the AC inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIesqzSP4wr_9xiXzhApI_1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561559

Another restaurant.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKYaS9pxqpnOcom22sM7GNG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561560

A nice mosaic in the sidewalk00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQXEuVyuT2TW0XghwYM7-F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561574

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKqyyiOQn2HyoFJh0BgpuXi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561574

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKAsMogBmfOWA9RvlAKkTx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561585

An offroad vehicle with the exhaust extended up above the roofline of the vehicle.  We saw a lot of these.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK5CwChPYhlwou9feOzUQxA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561574

A last look at the town of Broome before we took our scorched feet back to the ship for a cool lunch.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjagHwDIXjKhyME4wv4aIT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561561

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8TMt0WhSBm3V-jaiNTdZW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561520

For those who miss singers and dancers on HAL, that night we had a rousing show using the troop of entertainers on Sun Princess.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwKU0YSIR_2cOseOvFM1uA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561618

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMemqMPEU9GjemtEynItgz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561635

Looked like fun!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLI6taA3FV8BppiZ2LMVdoT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561656

Hoping all have a great day and my cold gets better not worse!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 8

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We are docked in St. Pierre and Miquelon, France this morning.  Seems odd leaving the Canadian ports for a day to stop at this French island.  The weather is gloomy and wet.  It is 63F and not raining at the moment but we expect any time it wants to today.  If it's raining at 2 pm, which is our meeting time for our Sailor's Island tour we may just skip it.  There are no details on how we get there so we are in the dark.  Secondly I have picked up a little cold and am not in the mood for uncomfortable tour conditions. 

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet report.  Also big thanks to Tina, Dixie, Ann and Vanessa for helping you out with contributions!  Prayers for the Care list and cheers to the Celebration list people.  I hope all are on the road to recovery and the rest of you are having a great day.

Yesterday Seabourn Quest was in port with us.  That is the only Seabourn ship we've cruised on (twice) and I do enjoy the Seabourn cruises a lot.  It's nice to hear some of you are venturing out to trying new experiences.  They do a great job!

Yesterday's soccer game was a tie 1 - 1.  The opposition from Los Angeles scored in the last minute of added time.  Ren only played 3 minutes first game and 11 minutes yesterday.   We saw a brief video of Ren's big play where he zoomed up the field, with the defender way behind him.  Then he left kicked the ball (not his dominant foot) to one of the two teammates in front of the net, but they failed to get a score.  Darn!  We've been told this is more like a showcase instead of a tourney.  They only play 70 minutes instead of the official 90 minutes.  This is because there are too many games and teams to play the entire 90 minutes.  I just wish Colton was on the team with Ren.  They knew each other inside and out and would have made that score.  Anyway, they're having fun and we enjoyed hearing the Spanish commentary on the video clip during Ren's play.  He got so excited and screamed Senor Ren (last name)______!!!  🤣

Our port of the day is Broome in Western Australia.  That was our port once before, on November 15, 2022.  Here is the link and my photos for Broome.

Here are my photos of Broome.

On Oct. 23, 2017 Sun Princess stopped at Broome in Western Australia during our circumnavigation of Australia.  It was hot!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjwC9v4KnKM3BTgAOOe1Xk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561500

It seemed like a small town to us.  Certainly there were no skyscrapers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLeYW2IoUrys5Pon6xo7RN_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561530

We had noticed the Holden autos when in Australia but the government shut down that industry for some reason.  Here is a dealership back then in Broome.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKeHwvKKsJUvxpHlbwsxTMB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561531

We were dropped off our shuttle downtown where you saw anytime they could, a shade structure was installed to help keep you cool.  Didn't help quite enough though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKA3kLyn1PEvqvxx44WuqCS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561549

Ahhh!  Shopping!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjksxQMifoSHFjAyE7Sk8r?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561548

A restaurant with patrons sitting outside.  I would prefer the AC inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIesqzSP4wr_9xiXzhApI_1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561559

Another restaurant.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKYaS9pxqpnOcom22sM7GNG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561560

A nice mosaic in the sidewalk00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQXEuVyuT2TW0XghwYM7-F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561574

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKqyyiOQn2HyoFJh0BgpuXi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561574

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKAsMogBmfOWA9RvlAKkTx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561585

An offroad vehicle with the exhaust extended up above the roofline of the vehicle.  We saw a lot of these.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK5CwChPYhlwou9feOzUQxA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561574

A last look at the town of Broome before we took our scorched feet back to the ship for a cool lunch.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjagHwDIXjKhyME4wv4aIT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561561

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8TMt0WhSBm3V-jaiNTdZW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561520

For those who miss singers and dancers on HAL, that night we had a rousing show using the troop of entertainers on Sun Princess.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwKU0YSIR_2cOseOvFM1uA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561618

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMemqMPEU9GjemtEynItgz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561635

Looked like fun!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLI6taA3FV8BppiZ2LMVdoT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561656

Hoping all have a great day and my cold gets better not worse!

Nice photos Sandi.

An Australian trip is definitely on our bucket list.

Good to see the entertainers dressed in our Great Britain colours.

I hope after a few paracetamol and some vitamin C (Orange juice) you are feeling a lot better and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery

Cruzin Terri with PMR flare

Those in the path of Hurricane Hilary and wildfires

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina town gone

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, especially Yellowknife and Kelowna

Shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Aliaschief’s BIL nearing end of life

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering at home

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baby Murphy progressing, hoping to wean ventilator this weekend

Dfish feeling better

USN59-79 with a good report from the Oncologist

Smitty34877’s DH Lou home from the hospital

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for HAL4NOW (Zaandam Aug 23 to Sept 13, B2B)

Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23), NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25) and Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 26)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 16

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Tina, Ann, and Dixie.  Daguerre really revolutionized the creation and preservation of images.  3 great days to celebrate although I have not been on an airplane in over 3 years.  Interesting quote by Monroe.  I have not been to Broome and will pass on the Chow Mein.  My alternative is Maple Fruit Melange, Chilled Cranberry Soup, Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam August 19, 2013. 

Special prayers for the people of Southern California, Yellowknife, Maui, and British Columbia today. 

Sad that all that is happening while we have a Chamber of Commerce weather day here with a current temperature of 55 and a high of 82 (about 13 to 29) with sun and a breeze.

Eagle Ceremony today for one of the members of our girls scout troop.

Roy

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning from a very cool Southern Ontario.  It's only 9C (48F) this morning, too cold for August.  I hope it warms up this afternoon.

Three good days.  I salute aviators, I have to fly to cruise.  I love potatoes.  Fried, baked, mashed or scalloped, I love them all.  We need more Humanitarians, our world is suffering.

Another interesting quote from Miss Monroe.

I'm sure I'll like the meal, looking forward to seeing a recipe.  The drink looks tasty too, thanks for the recipe.  I hope I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  Have a wonderful day.

My late mam used to talk about her Aunty Florrie and family who lived in Ontario Canada.

I will have to check with one of my late mam's living sisters to see if any of their Canadian relatives are still alive.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Chow mein is a Chinese dish made from stir-fried noodles with vegetables and sometimes meat or tofu.  Remember you can add your favorite protein to any of these recipes for Copycat Panda Express Chow Mein

Panda Express Chow Mein Copycat (less oil)  has about half the oil of the actual Panda Express Chow Mein. Cabbage, celery and onion sautéed and tossed with a soy and oyster sauce mixture. Dry Yakisoba noodles are rehydrated and used. It’s easy to make; there are only a few ingredients and really just a couple of steps. 

Ud7zjq_q0ta7mvkzhFKnmOYh_6r2bwEKlS8Pbr7e

Panda Express Chow Mein (better sauce) This simple sauce is made by whisking together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and white pepper.  This recipe uses Yakisoba noodles which are ramen-style noodles you can find in the refrigerated section of your grocery store

cO6Hg-ZJmdroz-Yk_zxNhNDca11EfvROQqT3Komk

Here is more traditional recipe Chow Mein, 炒面 which looks better to me than the copycat recipes. Noodles used in classic chow mein are Chinese egg noodles.  This recipe uses bok choy, bean sprouts and fresh chilies, but suggests you just open your  fridge and choose whatever is available at the moment: celery, cabbage, carrot, snow peas, baby corn, bamboo shoot, bell pepper, just to name a few.

b5Kibmx2RCX0srqHc1WMafFrIJ4q5QQdaHgHW8NN

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

1 minute ago, 0106 said:

Chow mein is a Chinese dish made from stir-fried noodles with vegetables and sometimes meat or tofu.  Remember you can add your favorite protein to any of these recipes for Copycat Panda Express Chow Mein

Panda Express Chow Mein Copycat (less oil)  has about half the oil of the actual Panda Express Chow Mein. Cabbage, celery and onion sautéed and tossed with a soy and oyster sauce mixture. Dry Yakisoba noodles are rehydrated and used. It’s easy to make; there are only a few ingredients and really just a couple of steps. 

Ud7zjq_q0ta7mvkzhFKnmOYh_6r2bwEKlS8Pbr7e

Panda Express Chow Mein (better sauce) This simple sauce is made by whisking together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and white pepper.  This recipe uses Yakisoba noodles which are ramen-style noodles you can find in the refrigerated section of your grocery store

cO6Hg-ZJmdroz-Yk_zxNhNDca11EfvROQqT3Komk

Here is more traditional recipe Chow Mein, 炒面 which looks better to me than the copycat recipes. Noodles used in classic chow mein are Chinese egg noodles.  This recipe uses bok choy, bean sprouts and fresh chilies, but suggests you just open your  fridge and choose whatever is available at the moment: celery, cabbage, carrot, snow peas, baby corn, bamboo shoot, bell pepper, just to name a few.

b5Kibmx2RCX0srqHc1WMafFrIJ4q5QQdaHgHW8NN

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good

Chicken chow mein has always been my Chinese takeaway choice.

• Like 22

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Nice collection of days, it’s nice to see the hard working potato being celebrated. Interesting quote today.  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for all on our prayer list. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 28

Good morning.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Also thanks to Vanessa for the Cares list.  And to Tina to keeping us fed and Ann and Dixie in the hydration department.

Not much on the agenda today.  Need to get some grocery shopping done and hopefully the cleaning lady shows up.  

Other from that it will be a quiet day.

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30

Good beautiful cool and sunny morning. It’s 55 and low humidity, if only it could stay the way. 
It’s a double celebration today. It’s my brother’s birthday and the car’s 1st birthday also. We put 21,000 miles on the car, lots of trips to Lititz and Lancaster. I’m not sure what he wants to do today but definitely going out to dinner tonight.

I wish we could go to the beach but the kids would not be happy about that.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 32

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely morning after another afternoon & evening of T-storms. But at least the temps are normal for us. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists. You always catch something I miss. Lots of chores today. Our local wine bar is hosting a wine tasting this afternoon, then we are coming back to my place to round out the day with food & more wine. 😎

IMG_1650.jpeg.b6cac1af30c9acc9077757b5edfae52a.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg.eedcb2d0ebed0809417d2e260df5a1e5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Isaac Fernandez - Egeo Rueda Verdejo 2021

This white wine from Spain sounds interesting & I would love to taste it. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $15.99.

Distributor notes
Isaac Fernández Selección – Rueda
White Wine
Grape - Verdejo
Soil - Nutrient poor alluvial (clay, sand, pebbles) soils
60 year old vines
Aged on fine lees for a few months prior to bottling

This wine is produced by Isaac Fernandez in partnership with a winery whose modern day operations began in 1941. The winery is located in the heart of Rueda just south of the Duero river and has over 80 hectares of vineyards. After harvesting the grapes are destemmed and undergo a pre-crush cold maceration for several hours. A gentle press is followed by a slow, temperature controlled (max temperature is 17° C) in stainless steel tanks.

Fresh nectarine and melon aromas are brightened by suggestions of honeysuckle and lemon pith. Juicy and focused on the palate, offering intense citrus and pit fruit flavors and a hint of succulent herbs. Finishes linear and tight, with good persistence and repeating florality.

90 points, Wine Enthusiast “BEST BUY”, 2021 Vintage

This light-straw-colored wine has aromas of white peach and apricot. Summer stone fruit continues on the palate, joined by notes of lemon curd, vanilla and a hint of rose water that evaporate into a lemon-zest finish. Grapes of Spain.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 6

Good morning.   Potatoes are a staple of many countries diets and make a pretty good vodka too.  Like @rafinmd it has been a while, December 2019, since we have been on a plane.  We will be forced to in 2025 as it is too far for us to drive to San Diego.  I hate flying but at least cruising can take us to places I won't fly to.  Humanitarians definitely should be celebrated.  Thanks for the photos of Broome @StLouisCruisers.   I hope your cold gets better soon. A good quote from MM for once.   The development of the daguerreotype has allowed us to see images from far in the past.   

I will pass on the cilantro cocktail but today's chow Mein recipes would go great with today's Spanish wine.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

So many disasters, prayers for those in Maui, the path of Hurricane Hilary and the Canada wildfires.   Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.   

We are going to have a single hot day with breezes so fishing will be off the docket.  We fished for 3 hours and all we caught were 3 little bluegill and that was the one spot on the lake when some fish can be caught but at the risk of losing tackle.  This is going to be the worst summer ever for fishing, thank goodness I have another hobby here.  John doesn't so that is a recipe for boredom.  Maybe I can get him to use one of the power sanders I borrowed and work on some of the peeling stain on our west wall. I am afraid the guy that promised to stain our cabin wall will be a no show.  That means those bare areas have to be protected.  Appears to be a bad day for me, coughing already sitting in my easy chair.  Have a wonderful Saturday.  Nancy 

Flowers are doing great, very late this year.  We may have a ripe tomato tomorrow. 

IMG_20230812_120938993_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230810_093308250_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230812_131038240_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230812_120808320_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230810_092356338.jpg

IMG_20230812_121157806_HDR.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

We received our fourth booster for COVID yesterday. Still need our annual flu shot and second Shingrex vacine before we sail next month. Sue asked the pharmicist if the flu is the same in Europe and she repplied that it was. 

Stay Safe and prayers today for those that need them!

- Jack

• Like 34

Good morning. Our excessive heat will continue through the weekend and who know’s when we will get some relief. No news this morning on my brother-in-law but have heard he is not suffering.

Sue is out on her walk so have not discussed plans of the day if any.

Lot’s of weather systems out there and the South West will be the first to experience. 
Not much else to add today other then thanks for the Fleet and Care reports.

Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.6abfcfa199abdbcc31bf46455f8ee4c6.jpegimage.jpeg.3560e39af14f7fdacc2173a07205fd4f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a0e832f6e389a92e4bc970714a958763.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b1c14d1116bf5e34e3c09aec76ee74b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.52d10c556142fb902e9455b45e4ad5ff.jpegimage.jpeg.c2a0f67a08fe2f0ba6c5a272589f3517.jpegimage.jpeg.73a04cb384112094f26512b9ce020992.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 22

Good Morning. We are in a tropical storm warning, the first ever for SoCal. This is because of (Cat 4 Hurricane) Hilary. A flood watch is also in effect through Monday. Rain is expected all day Sunday. And of course the roof at work is being redone. 😨 @TiogaCruiser and @GTVCRUISER (and other SoCal Dailyites) are you ready for this storm?

On the calendar today is sushi with a GF I haven’t seen in a few months. Then a personal appointment, and hopefully church. Pizza is for dinner. Hopefully I’ll be here me before the storm hits. I told my DMiL I’d take her to her Catholic Church on Sunday but she gets back today from a few days at her daughters house and might be tired. Or it might be too rainy.  

I go in to the office on Monday 45 min early (at 5:30am) to let the IT guy check on upgrade issues (not related to the storm). And we’ll be checking the building for leaks. I predict next week will be hectic. 

Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information. Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

Hurricane track (this was yesterday’s forecast):
IMG_1754.thumb.jpeg.5a81ef806c277b4af78c00b82091091c.jpeg

Potential flooding: 

IMG_1760.thumb.jpeg.4255af2add9d7d9632a43b2153d2231b.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Yesterday we made our decision that the NJ retirement community is where we’ll go for our next chapter, and it will probably be our forever home!  It was a big decision. Feels good but I felt exhausted.  The timing of the move will be out of our control, whenever an apartment unit that fits our desires becomes available, could be months or years. It’s a vibrant community, tons of opportunities for growth, learning, enjoying life, not too far from the grandkids, close enough to everything we could need and with wonderful oversight and support when warranted. With 12 years between us it’s awkward to find the right solution but I think we have!  

Our next critical path hurdle is to get the trust attorney to do her job or find a replacement. Ugh. 

I have 2 weeks or organize for the cruise NY to Quebec City and back.  We’ll be taking a train from the grandkids (where we’ll leave our car) into Manhattan and a taxi to the port so we want to pack light!  The older we get the more pharmaceutical/medical type stuff we bring, now DH’s eye pressure tonometer and COVID supplies too!  At least on NCL we won’t need dress-up clothes. Yesterday I received a Quebec City pocket guide, the Boston one should come next week. 

My heart goes out to all in harm’s way of fires!  When evacuating remember the Ps:  People, Pets, Pills, Purse/Plastic, Personal computer/Phone, Papers, Precious items/Photos. I kept folded up “bankers boxes” next to the file cabinet for critical files and photo albums. I had gone through the files and red flagged the more important ones so I could grab them in a flash. I videoed each room in the house with cupboards, closets and drawers opened. At least once a year I backed up computers to external hard drives and put them in the safe deposit box in town. I had a “space blanket” at each window ready to be stapled over the window to reflect radiant heat. We had roof sprinklers with a switch at the front door to flip as we left, and a generator to keep the well pump operating. We built our addition of fire resistant materials and retrofitted the original log cabin. Fire preparation was a way of life, and I taught many workshops on it.  I was the community liaison and communicator on all things fire-related, especially the daily updates during fires. We were evacuated multiple times, it’s always chaotic and traumatic.  Prepping keeps panic away.  I’m very happy to be done with that chapter. I pray for all in harm’s way or prepping for the Ready, Set, Go stages. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. Or contractors. 
Cheers to all celebrating!  Life is Good!  
Safe travels to all our cruisers and those away. 
May everyone be safe and well today!  
Maureen

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  I’ll gladly celebrate aviation since I couldn’t get far without it.  My favourite is Humanitarian Day.  So important.  It needs to be celebrated every day and not just once a year.

Interesting Monroe quote - not sure what to make of it.  Yum on chow mein.  Love it.  thanks for the recipes, Tina @0106.  And Rueda Verdejo?  YUM.  @cat shepard I can vouch that this is a delicious wine.  The white Ruedas in Spain are very good.  It’s one of the wines I’m willing to pay a corkage fee to bring on board my BHB’s as they are not available here. 😉

IMG_3587.thumb.jpeg.612ec1ed8989377989c36331fa3e4151.jpeg

Ivan and I are going to walk down to my neighbour’s this afternoon (hopefully not in the rain) and taking some new toys I’ve hidden from him (one is the same as his favourite).  They will stay there for visits and to get him comfortable for when he moves in temporarily.  Of course, all his toys will go with him when that happens 😉 

IMG_0859.jpeg.c69351b4cd4d0166a408530420bdce9c.jpeg

Sandi @StLouisCruisers I hope your cold improves quickly 🤞 

Lots to do inside and out - I just need to get the energy to do it 😂 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries and those that need them.   Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_0858.jpeg.01783aef90fd1030cfe70e2faef6f310.jpeg

Have a good Saturday everyone !!!!

IMG_1803.thumb.jpeg.57215f25daeb76a555b065384f2876e5.jpeg

IMG_1804.thumb.jpeg.63ad247e6b2bfcd12a55d46b1fa2a5d5.jpeg

IMG_1805.thumb.jpeg.a1c60c40b3fbce6b9876627caf92068f.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

It’s a double celebration today. It’s my brother’s birthday and the car’s 1st birthday also.

A very happy birthday to your brother!

IMG_3614.jpeg.34f69f8171671964c420b5a290a43e22.jpeg

12 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Good Morning. We are in a tropical storm warning, the first ever for SoCal. This is because of (Cat 4 Hurricane) Hilary. A flood watch is also in effect through Monday. Rain is expected all day Sunday. And of course the roof at work is being redone. 😨 @TiogaCruiser and @GTVCRUISER (and other SoCal Dailyites) are you ready for this storm?

Prayers for you  and all in the storm’s path. 🙏 Please stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

We have a bit of a local connection to Maui.  Among the rescuers is Maryland Task Force 1.  It is a multiple disciplinary  team but primarily firefighters, adding doctors, K9 teams and probably others.  About 50 of the 80 member  team are from nearby Montgomery County (home of @RMLincoln and @NextOne) and about 8 members from my home Howard County.  They are starting their second day on the job, de-layering debris and searching for victims.  Sadly but I think wisely, there is an embargo on photos so none will be coming. 

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1