New port taxes adjusted

XSWABBY

I received a new invoice indicating that my port taxes have been adjusted for an extra $52.02 per person for a total of $104.04.

This is for the May 5th, 2024 sailing on the Beyond. We had placed our deposit in June 2023. Never had a new invoice issued for a change

in port taxes before. Anyone else experience this or is it a normal happening?

My T/A was told more of this will be forthcoming.

Port fees are fees charged by the ports of call to the cruise line (ships don’t get to dock for free) in turn they pass on these fees to the passengers.

I would expect that the ports are trying to make up for some of their lost revenue during the Pandemic, so I agree that more of this will be forthcoming.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

Yes they never ever used to do this.  There was a thread about a month ago where people going to Bermuda were getting the T/F changed.   I wonder what they would do if you asked for an itemized breakdown of those T/F.   I think they would have to give it to you like the airlines do.

• Like 1

I received an email about a month ago indicating  an increase in port charges on a cruise to the Bahamas.  The dollar amount was stated.  It was to be paid at the final payment.  Last night, we received a new invoice.

• Like 1

I believe it could be possible that since their called "taxes and FEES" and aren't itemized, the cruise lines may have found a new revenue stream.

I say this BECAUSE when comparing different cruises on different lines with IDENTICAL ports, they have different taxes and fees (example ncl even when the prices are close and comparing only base rates)

So like a ncl vs celebrity, same $, cabin only no packages....until now ncl taxes and FEES have been  significantly higher.

And just like "resort fee(hotels) and checked bags fee(airlines)" All cruise line may be jumping on to the "FEE" creative accounting.

• Like 2

After 25 cruises with Celebrity we've never had our port fees and taxes increase after booking. On a few occasions we've repriced and the new invoice showed higher fees.  When we questioned this they were adjusted back to the original amount. There have been a few times when fees and taxes decreased because of a port change due to weather. It was always hit or miss if we got additional OBC for the missed port.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

They are changing things daily. No it's not normal but probably a new rule they made up. Many changes are happening at Celebrity and not for the better 

Port taxes is a pass-through fee - Celebrity does not decide what it should be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Can I give some facts that may save some unnecessary analysis?

I speak as someone that used to pay the 'port fees and taxes' of ships for which we were agents.

The calculation includes the following: Ship's registered tonnage, ship's port of registry, number of passengers, last port of call/departure prior to this arrival.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would check if anything else changed, I woke up to a new invoice this morning and not only is there a increase to the port fees there was another charge added and I don't know what it is.

EDIT: ok I've literally had to pull up both PDFs next to each other and compare, it's weird they split the cruise fare out - no explanation why, the total cost for the fare ends up the same. Port fees have still gone up.

Edited by Lena11033

Unlike airline "taxes and fees", which are charged "per passenger" to the airlines (and passed to the passenger), most cruise ship "taxes and fees" are based on the ship size (tonnage or length).  So, regardless of how many passengers are onboard when the ship calls at a port each week, the total "taxes and fees" remains the same.  This flat charge is then divided among the number of passengers onboard to get each passenger's share of the charge.  So, trying to compare "taxes and fees" between two cruise lines is not really valid.  In the post a few above, the poster was comparing simply the fare between the lines, and expecting that the "taxes and fees" should be the same or similar.  However, what is the physical size difference between the two ships, what is the passenger count difference between the two ships?  That is what will determine the individual passenger's "taxes and fees".

And, due to a ruling in a class action lawsuit against the cruise lines a couple decades ago, what the cruise lines are allowed to include in "taxes and fees" is severely limited, and can only be taxes and fees that are required for the ship to physically be present in the port (wharfage, pilot, tugs).  They are not allowed to include things that happen in the port, but that are part of ship's operations, like baggage handlers, longshoremen for storing, garbage removal, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another reason that port taxes and fees can be different between Celebrity and another cruise line for the same port is that Celebrity's fees also include gratuities..... 

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I would check if anything else changed, I woke up to a new invoice this morning and not only is there a increase to the port fees there was another charge added and I don't know what it is.

EDIT: ok I've literally had to pull up both PDFs next to each other and compare, it's weird they split the cruise fare out - no explanation why, the total cost for the fare ends up the same. Port fees have still gone up.

Make sure they didn’t take away your gratuities if you had them includes before….my sister in law just got an invoice for our January cruise that did that… port fees went up but her total went down because they took away her included tips that she had booked with…

57 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

Make sure they didn’t take away your gratuities if you had them includes before….my sister in law just got an invoice for our January cruise that did that… port fees went up but her total went down because they took away her included tips that she had booked with…

Thanks, double checked the gratuities and OBC are the same 

I received the letter for my Silhouette cruise (4 nights Keys West and Nassau), until today no changes in my invoice.

Other booked cruises also have change the taxes and port fees and no letter in my inbox.

Edited by gerelmx

18 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

@chengkp75 As always thank you for the information you provide.   I always assume when I see Taxes and Fees that the Taxes are actual required payments by the government and fees are a bit more fuzzy and can be manipulated for profit.

Like dealer prep/documentation fees!

Hello,

That is an excellent summary.

There is a greyish area under 'Fees' that are required by government agencies but whose collection has been subcontracted to third parties.

Regards,

Cublet

On 8/30/2023 at 7:34 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

After 25 cruises with Celebrity we've never had our port fees and taxes increase after booking. On a few occasions we've repriced and the new invoice showed higher fees.  When we questioned this they were adjusted back to the original amount. There have been a few times when fees and taxes decreased because of a port change due to weather. It was always hit or miss if we got additional OBC for the missed port.

After 25 cruises, not all with Celebrity, I've received small chunks of OBC several times on boarding for refunded fees. I also got OBC for port fees on the one port I happened to miss.

I consider it a bit dirty for a cruise line to come back for more $$$ after locking in a price through a booking. But I'm sure their contract allows them to do this and I understand why they do. But it's never happened to me before and I wonder if other cruise lines will follow suit.

23 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I consider it a bit dirty for a cruise line to come back for more $$$ after locking in a price through a booking. But I'm sure their contract allows them to do this and I understand why they do. But it's never happened to me before and I wonder if other cruise lines will follow suit.

They already have. A sampling from Cruise Critic…

I just got a notice from HAL that "due to governmental action", my taxes for the 7-day cruise in November are going up by $15pp.

Princess: Started our cruise yesterday on the Enchanted and noticed a strange charge on my account named „Government Port Tax“ 7.51$ per person.

Norwegian: …our account is showing that we owe more than $250 - it is showing an increase of $18.74pp in the port taxes/fees section over what shows on our confirmation for port taxes/fees.  

Edited by Mark_K
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark_K said:

They already have. A sampling from Cruise Critic…

I just got a notice from HAL that "due to governmental action", my taxes for the 7-day cruise in November are going up by $15pp.

Princess: Started our cruise yesterday on the Enchanted and noticed a strange charge on my account named „Government Port Tax“ 7.51$ per person.

Norwegian: …our account is showing that we owe more than $250 - it is showing an increase of $18.74pp in the port taxes/fees section over what shows on our confirmation for port taxes/fees.  

Thanks for sharing these examples.  I consider it doubly dirty when they ask for more money after the bill has already been paid.  But, again, that's just me and my quirks 🙃