Ambient music depending on... what?

Nemanoxer

I am on Edge right now. Having a good time mostly. However, I always did S-Class til now and have a feeling that Edge is much more of a loud party boat than let's say Equinox.

Usually, this kind of overall musical enivironment is wired to Caribbean sea days in my memory. Not necessarily to the Mediterranean.

What are your experiences about how Celebrity lets the music play?

• Haha 1

My experience on edge was absolutely awful in regards to the choice of music and the volume, to the extent that I won’t sail on an e-class ship again.  It wasn’t the only factor that created such a negative impression, but it was a major one.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 4

Me too.

I hate unnecessary and intrusive loud music.

It's everywhere.

Malls, stores, hotels, bars, restaurants, ships, planes.

A couple of years ago I spent two days by the pool at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

On the first day I 

discreetly ripped out every external loudspeaker around the pool and gardens.

There were 15 of them.

A few ended up in the adjacent waterway.

I left one unharmed near the outdoor bar area so no staff member would notice and amazingly no-one did. 

In restaurants before I even look at the menu I ask for the music to be turned down - if it's not I walk out.

I once took a holiday company to court and won the cost of my holiday back after staff by the pool of a Turkish hotel played the same Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD on shuffle by the pool very loudly for 10 hours every day.

Even now the sound of  Californication stirs grim memories.

Every day it's a screeching and mostly rap music onslaught on our sensibilities.

I fight back with every means I have and ripping out wires from loudspeakers is, in my opinion, perfectly justifiable.

Rant over.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

In the past four months have been on the Millie and Summit, X's new thing seems to be to post a DJ by the Martini bar playing top 40 or music that was top 40 at one time in the past dozen or so years

Just off Silhouette and this was the case...and one evening the DJ was by Cafe al Bacio... quite loud and certainly not our favorite!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

I am on Edge right now. Having a good time mostly. However, I always did S-Class til now and have a feeling that Edge is much more of a loud party boat than let's say Equinox.

Usually, this kind of overall musical enivironment is wired to Caribbean sea days in my memory. Not necessarily to the Mediterranean.

What are your experiences about how Celebrity lets the music play?

Edge is a louder party boat...

• Like 1

Just disembarking Edge. Ambient music just about right and normal.

For 2024 and 2025, we are taking a break from Celebrity and will try the new Princess ship class, HAL, Windstar and a German cruise line. 

Wanna find out after all if really no other cruise line in the price class can keep up with X.

We found the music exceedingly loud around the open centrum and intruded on enjoying the lovely Cafe elBacio, as well as the specialty restaurants.  Did enjoy the music out in Eden early in the evening .  Even in the theater we found the volume very loud which threw off the balance of the voices with the instrumentals - tried sitting in different locations in the theater but that did not help.  I wonder what they look for in the sound checks as we had a hard time trying to hear lyrics of songs.

• Like 2

For us the loud music in Martinis on Edge class spoils the atmosphere in all the surrounding venues, Cafe al Bacio in particular it is difficult to have a conversation. and for us it would be nicer for each speciality restaurant to either be quiet, or to have a background music suited to their style. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jo-b said:

For us the loud music in Martinis on Edge class spoils the atmosphere in all the surrounding venues, Cafe al Bacio in particular it is difficult to have a conversation. and for us it would be nicer for each speciality restaurant to either be quiet, or to have a background music suited to their style. 

glad this came up..we will ask not to be seated under or near a speaker.  loud music is jarring if not at a concert

• Like 1

I hate when music is so loud I can’t have a conversation unless I am on a dance floor or in a theatre etc. For anyone who struggles with ambient sounds I highly recommend looking at getting Loops. They are like an earplug but have different types depending on how much noise you want to block. I like the ones that block ambient noise. They are actually cute and very convenient. All my friends with ADHD swear by them. So if elevator music is a trigger for you, these might be perfect.

• Like 1

We were turned off last year on Beyond as well :

- extremely loud music and speakers in Theatre, music and entertainment places with decibels way too high 

- annoying pulsating music EVERYWHERE, even where one just likes to sit quietly gazing at sea or with a book

• Like 5

On 8/31/2023 at 4:53 PM, Baggy178 said:

Me too.

I hate unnecessary and intrusive loud music.

It's everywhere.

Malls, stores, hotels, bars, restaurants, ships, planes.

A couple of years ago I spent two days by the pool at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

On the first day I 

discreetly ripped out every external loudspeaker around the pool and gardens.

There were 15 of them.

A few ended up in the adjacent waterway.

I left one unharmed near the outdoor bar area so no staff member would notice and amazingly no-one did. 

In restaurants before I even look at the menu I ask for the music to be turned down - if it's not I walk out.

I once took a holiday company to court and won the cost of my holiday back after staff by the pool of a Turkish hotel played the same Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD on shuffle by the pool very loudly for 10 hours every day.

Even now the sound of  Californication stirs grim memories.

Every day it's a screeching and mostly rap music onslaught on our sensibilities.

I fight back with every means I have and ripping out wires from loudspeakers is, in my opinion, perfectly justifiable.

Rant over.

Maybe you should use a hammer next time?

On 8/31/2023 at 6:32 PM, celebrity cruiser said:

Can I please ask which sound meter app DH has? Is it for iPhone?

I don't know and he is away for a few days.  It would be a free one from the app store as he won't pay for apps is there is a free options.

My last cruise on Apex was very, very loud in various areas.  I already have tinnitus and if you don't have it, trust me you don't want it!  It's annoying and never, ever goes away - and there is no cure.  I always have a pair of ear plugs in my little purse when sailing.  I've had to use them more than once, especially on Apex.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

My last cruise on Apex was very, very loud in various areas.  I already have tinnitus and if you don't have it, trust me you don't want it!  It's annoying and never, ever goes away - and there is no cure.  I always have a pair of ear plugs in my little purse when sailing.  I've had to use them more than once, especially on Apex.

Tinnitus joke from someone who has it,

I always complain to the staff that the music isn’t loud enough.  Because I can still hear the ringing!

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We disembarked the Edge in Barcelona on September 16th which was my 1st Celebrity cruise but 5th overall.  The music near the pool on the at sea day was so loud, obscure, and intrusive it will likely keep me from booking another Celebrity cruise, at least on the Edge. 

My wife and I are in our 60s and enjoy concerts even loud ones.  We saw Billy Strings, Earth Wind & Fire, and Santana within the last year in concert, all of which were loud.  We were also on this cruise with my two 20-something daughters and their SOs and none of us liked the music selection or volume around the pool area. 

It was a mystery why Celebrity would do this as I have a hard time imaging cruisers thinking, "well this music isn't loud or obscure enough to that's my last Celebrity cruise!"

I had one other issue with the premium drink package beer selections (which were lame and not properly documented in menus) but otherwise a good experience. 

Edited by beernutz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2023 at 2:42 PM, odysee said:

We were turned off last year on Beyond as well :

- extremely loud music and speakers in Theatre, music and entertainment places with decibels way too high 

- annoying pulsating music EVERYWHERE, even where one just likes to sit quietly gazing at sea or with a book

I had the same complaint on Beyond. During the theater performances, the ladies would screech so loudly that I would plug my ears.

We never had any  music issues around BEYOND or EDGE..2 cruises 

Sometimes shows are loud.

There may be a new directive from HQ to play loud music,  like there was during the Miami DJ era..

For Ascent,  I  am buying some ear plugs that block loud noise but allow conversation..thanks to a suggest of someone on CC..

Edited by hcat

On both Apex last summer and Beyond this summer there was music everywhere all the time, I couldn't get away from it.  I did find a place on beyond--sit out on deck outside the Eden cafe when it's closed (almost all the time)--nice seats and it's quiet, you can't hear stuff from Eden when you're outside.

• Like 2