The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 3rd, 2023

richwmn

My walk wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still I was a little warm by the time I got home.  It was nice enough that since there is not much on the agenda today, I walked a little longer than my normal walk.  It is supposed to be sunny until about 1pm, but it is already getting a bit cloudy.  Clouds, unfortunately do not equate with rain, even though there is a 34% chance of a shower early this evening.  We'll see.  🤞  I wish it was going to be cloudy tomorrow when I plan to do the yard work, at least, they are predicting a 10+mph wind for tomorrow and the should help.  I just hope it doesn't blow my hat off.

55 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good Sunday morning,

It has been a while since I have read or posted on the Daily. Since my return from Tucson I have been super busy. I have an out of town guest and the DGK’s love being around her so my life and house have been a tornado. 

A quick update on Murphy. They had a care conference and not much new but the parents decided no trach and she is a DNR if she codes again. CT scan of head did not show much more than the head ultrasounds she has been getting (small area from previous stroke). She can not get an MRI until the pacemaker is removed. My niece is donating breast milk as she has way more than Murphy will use. So sad for this young couple. 

Everyone is still sleeping and I am enjoying the peace and quiet. Prayers and well wishes for our care list and travelers. 

Lorraine, it sounds like you've had a busy, but fun week.  Thank you for the very sad update on Murphy.  That must have been a heart wrenching the decision the parents made.  Sending positive thoughts for a miracle, and for extra strength for the family.  It is very nice that your niece is thinking about others and donating her breast milk.

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I wish we were on a cruise too Lenda.

This was us in June on P&O Britannia in the Fjords.

IMG-20230901-WA0000.jpg

Graham, that is a great picture of the two of you.  I agree with Sandi @StLouisCruisers that you should print and frame the picture.

25 minutes ago, superoma said:

Next stop, point pelee national park, the southern most spit of land in Canada. The monarch’s are starting to gather and will do so for much of September, waiting there for the right wind to carry them across the lake. I have never personally witnessed the gathering even though point pelee is only about 40 miles from us, but the local news reports on the migration as well as updates on the parks Canada website.

Eva, we have seen one migration of the monarch butterflies as they headed north from Mexico.  For about two days, there were monarch butterflies all around us in Quartzite.  It was truly amazing.

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jane @Beckett welcome to the Daily.  We enjoy new readers joining us.

Lorraine @cruising sister glad to have you back here with us.  What a sad update for Baby Murphy.  I'm praying for a miracle for her!

Graham @grapau27 such a great picture of you two!  Frame it so you can enjoy it everyday.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser the second DGS who is sick had a birthday yesterday and ironically was sick last Sept. 2 as well.  Not fair!  If he's still sick this morning he will get a trip to a clinic for some strep, covid, and flu tests.  Then maybe antibiotics.  Probably just a virus he picked up in school.  He's the baby DGC and is 15 years old already!

We decided it was a lovely morning for a little exercise picking up pine cones from under the pine trees between our back yard slope and the golf course.  Good gravy, we must have picked up 400 to 500 of them.  That means fewer trees trying to spring up next year.  Our landscaper cuts it all with his string trimmers but this will help considerably with that job.  There's other work we'd like to do out there to keep it cleaner but not sure I can get DH down there with me again tomorrow.  We'll see.  After DH's coffee break I'll see if he wants to hit the grocery store this morning.  And I should do a little ironing.  Some of our cruise clothes that I laundered could use pressing.  Not my favorite chore!🙄 

Sandi, being sick on your birthday makes being sick doubly bad.  I think I'd rather pick up pine cones than iron.  I don't remember the last time I needed to iron anything.  I wonder if my iron here and the one in Quartzsite still work.

Lenda

16 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Interesting days, and I love the quote.

A busy summer of visitors is over, and it’s our turn to travel again.

We just got back yesterday from a week in Alaska on the Konigsdam with DH’s cousins. I’ve never been on a Pinnacle class ship before. It was interesting. The New York Deli was our favorite breakfast spot, mainly because it wasn’t crowded and there was no line up. The Grand Dutch Cafe was amazing! The Tamarind was also excellent. The MDR, staff and food, were great. The Pinnacle Grill was sub par at best. I never thought I could meet Clothesline Bacon I didn’t like, but they managed. And a medium rare fillet should not hit the table well done. The Lido was a zoo and some of the staff were actually rude, which you just don’t see on HAL. 
Yes, there’s a reason we never do Alaska in the prime summer weeks, but that’s when the cousins wanted to go. And of course, I was cruising again, so that’s the main point. The weather was gorgeous. It’s the fourth time we’ve been to Ketchikan, and the first time we’ve been there when it wasn’t raining. So all in all, it was a great week.

Happy Sunday to all, and cheers to your next time at sea, whenever it may be! 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I have not been to the cinema in a very long time. Movies come out on DVD so quickly that I wait and watch them at home. Not a bowler and Sky scrapers are amazing but scary. None here. We have  height restrictions so nothing is very tall.

Another Spacex launch scheduled for tonite.

Bon Voyage to @luvteaching and @Crazy For Cats. Hope you have wonderful trips and safe travels.

@RMLincoln Safe travels today. Hope you will be able to enjoy your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Happy belated Anniversary. Hope you enjoy many more.

Quiet day for me. Yeah. I tried to book an excursion for the 2024 VOV and I am waitlisted! I was very surprised.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good Sunday morning,

It has been a while since I have read or posted on the Daily. Since my return from Tucson I have been super busy. I have an out of town guest and the DGK’s love being around her so my life and house have been a tornado. 

A quick update on Murphy. They had a care conference and not much new but the parents decided no trach and she is a DNR if she codes again. CT scan of head did not show much more than the head ultrasounds she has been getting (small area from previous stroke). She can not get an MRI until the pacemaker is removed. My niece is donating breast milk as she has way more than Murphy will use. So sad for this young couple. 

Everyone is still sleeping and I am enjoying the peace and quiet. Prayers and well wishes for our care list and travelers. 

That is so sad about little Murphy. She is a fighter. Her poor parent must be in agony. Continuing our prayers and best wishes for all.

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jane @Beckett welcome to the Daily.  We enjoy new readers joining us.

Lorraine @cruising sister glad to have you back here with us.  What a sad update for Baby Murphy.  I'm praying for a miracle for her!

Graham @grapau27 such a great picture of you two!  Frame it so you can enjoy it everyday.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser the second DGS who is sick had a birthday yesterday and ironically was sick last Sept. 2 as well.  Not fair!  If he's still sick this morning he will get a trip to a clinic for some strep, covid, and flu tests.  Then maybe antibiotics.  Probably just a virus he picked up in school.  He's the baby DGC and is 15 years old already!

We decided it was a lovely morning for a little exercise picking up pine cones from under the pine trees between our back yard slope and the golf course.  Good gravy, we must have picked up 400 to 500 of them.  That means fewer trees trying to spring up next year.  Our landscaper cuts it all with his string trimmers but this will help considerably with that job.  There's other work we'd like to do out there to keep it cleaner but not sure I can get DH down there with me again tomorrow.  We'll see.  After DH's coffee break I'll see if he wants to hit the grocery store this morning.  And I should do a little ironing.  Some of our cruise clothes that I laundered could use pressing.  Not my favorite chore!🙄 

Happy belated birthday to your youngest grandson Sandi.

I hope he is feeling better today.

belated-happy-birthday-sorry-i-am-late-free-belated-birthday-group-ecards.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Have to head out to the store before it gets too crowded so will read through everything later. But I wanted to tell @aliaschief---You are in one of my favorite places. A few (quite a few) years ago my next door neighbor and I would spend a several weeks along that section of coast.... together with 1 Alaskan Malamute, 4 scottish terriers and 1 west highland white terrier. We had beach lodgings and all of us had a wonderful time. We had the same lodgings for about 5 years straight.... the owner was great about the dogs.  All of us loved the Oregon coast. Would love to go back again but someone else would have to drive.

Susan

• Like 25

27 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I have not been to the cinema in a very long time. Movies come out on DVD so quickly that I wait and watch them at home. Not a bowler and Sky scrapers are amazing but scary. None here. We have  height restrictions so nothing is very tall.

Another Spacex launch scheduled for tonite.

Bon Voyage to @luvteaching and @Crazy For Cats. Hope you have wonderful trips and safe travels.

@RMLincoln Safe travels today. Hope you will be able to enjoy your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Happy belated Anniversary. Hope you enjoy many more.

Quiet day for me. Yeah. I tried to book an excursion for the 2024 VOV and I am waitlisted! I was very surprised.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene, thank your for the anniversary wishes.  They are much appreciated anytime.

52 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Interesting days, and I love the quote.

A busy summer of visitors is over, and it’s our turn to travel again.

We just got back yesterday from a week in Alaska on the Konigsdam with DH’s cousins. I’ve never been on a Pinnacle class ship before. It was interesting. The New York Deli was our favorite breakfast spot, mainly because it wasn’t crowded and there was no line up. The Grand Dutch Cafe was amazing! The Tamarind was also excellent. The MDR, staff and food, were great. The Pinnacle Grill was sub par at best. I never thought I could meet Clothesline Bacon I didn’t like, but they managed. And a medium rare fillet should not hit the table well done. The Lido was a zoo and some of the staff were actually rude, which you just don’t see on HAL. 
Yes, there’s a reason we never do Alaska in the prime summer weeks, but that’s when the cousins wanted to go. And of course, I was cruising again, so that’s the main point. The weather was gorgeous. It’s the fourth time we’ve been to Ketchikan, and the first time we’ve been there when it wasn’t raining. So all in all, it was a great week.

Happy Sunday to all, and cheers to your next time at sea, whenever it may be! 

I don't know how I missed that I hadn't commented on this when I quoted it earlier.  I'm glad you had a great week in Alaska, but was sorry to read about some of the Lido staff being rude.  They really must have been slammed with a lot of pushy passengers.  We spent eight weeks over two b2b2b2b cruises on Koningsdam, and I really liked the ship.  However, this was when the ship was not sailing full, but neither of us are enthusiastic about a full Pinnacle class ship.  Too many passengers, in too small venues.  We liked all the dining options except we didn't try Rudi's.  I've found over the years that the Pinnacle Grill on most of the ships can be hit or miss, a lot depends on how busy they are.  I've had over cooked lamb chops and fillets there and some really good ones.  I couldn't eat the one that came back more than well done.  It was cooked to hockey puck. 

Lenda 

• Like 25

Good morning!

All packed and will head out the door in less than an hour. Thanks for all the good wishes! I'm not sure how much I'll be able to check in. I'm on my Mac laptop and for some reason Safari doesn't like Cruise Critic on it (does fine on my desktop) and my other browser won't let me log in. 

The HAL app is just spinning on my phone so I'm glad I have a printout of my boarding pass. I'm a bit teary this morning but I figured I would be. The tears are right there behind the eyes. I tell people I was born with my bladder behind my eyes and I tend to leak! It gets a smile. 

I have cookies to give the  parking lot crew and everything is ready to go. 

Have a great Sunday enjoy the Labor Day weekend!

Karen

• Like 31

What to do with green tomatoes

Green tomato salsa for canning

INGREDIENTS

UNITS: US

5 lbs green tomatoes, chopped small (as you prefer for salsa) 
6 yellow onions, chopped (4 cups) 
3 jalapenos, chopped with seeds (1/2 cup) 
4 large red bell peppers, chopped (2 cups) 
6 garlic cloves, minced 
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped 
1 cup lime juice 
1⁄2cup vinegar 
1 tablespoon salt 
1 /2tablespoon cumin 
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves 
2 teaspoons pepper 
1⁄4teaspoon cayenne (optional, to taste) 
1 -2 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine everything in a large pot, mixing well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. To continue canning, bring salsa to a boil.
  3. Ladle salsa into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe lids and jar edges clean before finger tightening lids and placing them back in the boiling canning pot.
  4. Process (boil) jars for 15 minutes.
  5. Remove carefully and let sit for 24 hours. Check lids for seal, and refrigerate any unsealed jars.
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 10

Good morning all!

Our weather has changed, I think yesterday's warmer day (81) will be our last for the year (but never say never, we just don't ever know how September will be here).  It will get to the high 60's today, more clouds and right now a few blustery winds.

As for cinema, DH and I like to see movies on longer cruises.  Otherwise, we don't go to the cinema unless it's to take the DGSs -- twice in the last couple months.  My dear Dad was on a bowling team, I "bowled" a few times with him as a child.  I like skyscrapers from the ground, but don't enjoy looking down from one. 

Funny and true quote!  I'll pass on the meal.  Last night we had the Garlicky Shrimp Pasta Bake and it was a hit! I added extra garlic and added basil since I have a lot in the garden.  There's enough for dinner again tonight.  I'll pass on the wine, would probably like the drink, and have not been to Bali.

Not a lot of plans for the day other than going to check on DD's cats.  She and family are camping over the long weekend.  So I'll be cuddling and playing with some (almost grown) kittens today.

Bon Voyage to Jake @Crazy For Cats and Karen @luvteaching!

@cruising sister Lorraine such a sad update about Baby Murphy.  My prayers continue for her and all the family.

@BeckettJane Welcome to the Daily!

Maureen @RMLincoln Safe travels.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I used to go to the cinema a fair amount, but sadly no longer as I can't sit through movies without discomfort. I bowled a good bit in the past, but after shoulder surgery, no longer. Some skyscrapers are quite amazing. Funny but often true quote. I'll pass on the meal and drink. Is the wine really from 2012? I haven't been to Celukan Bawang. Both good days in history to celebrate.

It's sunny and going to be nearly 90F today. I didn't get yard work done, and it's going to be too hot the next few days. I slept in this morning, as I couldn't fall asleep until after 2AM due to leg discomfort. I did wake up to post the Cares List, then fell right back asleep. So I really need my coffee that I'm just now drinking. Also my leg is itchy where I gave my RA shot way back on Wednesday; odd, but a Claritin is taking care of it.

@grapau27 Thank you for the link. It looks like a lovely day in your part of the world. Great photo of you and Pauline.

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry to hear about Mark and the 2 DGS's being ill. Exciting for the one DGS to go to Portugal for a week with DS.

@kazu Enjoy your visit with your friend. 

@Crazy For Cats Bon Voyage!

@luvteaching  Bon Voyage! And hugs to you on this new experience.

@Beckett Welcome to the Daily!

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad the cleaning person will be helping you get the house back together.

@smitty34877 I hope you can get some relaxation in this weekend, although the aide(s) may be off.

@ottahand7 I'm glad you're getting the staining done, in the absence of the painter. Sorry the fishing and tomatoes weren't up to expectations this year. Beautiful butterfly picture.

@1ANGELCAT It's awful that Longwood Gardens has to be closed due to that escaped convict. How did that happen if he was in maximum security? I saw video from someone's camera that purportedly showed him at night, only about 2 miles from the prison.

@aliaschief Enjoy the family and the surroundings! Thanks for the photos.

@RMLincoln Safe travels today. I hope DH's eye pressures normalize soon with the extra meds.

@cruising sister Such a heartbreaking update on Baby Murphy. Prayers for her and her family. 

@kochleffel Sounds like a good plan for the luggage on your trip.

@ger_77 That smoke in the air sounds awful; I hope it clears out soon. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Said goodbye to a number of passengers last night; glad we didn’t have to pack and leave our suitcases in the hallway.

Walked into town this morning after breakfast in the MDR and went to church. Returned for the smoothest boarding ever to continue our B2B cruise. I like just being able to say the magic words “in transit” and bypassing all the lines.

I think we will eat well for the next ten days judging from the amount of food being loaded onto the ship.

IMG_1971.thumb.jpeg.ede74e538c6527a896a16fa20f8ec28d.jpeg

IMG_1973.thumb.jpeg.50db6e54ca7e42607c685d1f3b7ec4dc.jpeg

IMG_1974.thumb.jpeg.e92f7f9bb2c5b372ab5ccc8a8d16d641.jpeg

IMG_1976.thumb.jpeg.e16aaa73be52eb81ee18b9b45297e556.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Here’s a few pics of our rented beach house in Depoe Beach, Oregon. Probably going to be a cloudy day and the Pacific is still churning. Planning on reading plus enjoying the view and inhaling that sea air.

Life is good.

image.thumb.jpeg.61df6251b323c0cffa48bf02bdf35876.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c91786ee8c7bef70c3ceba7266c7c2c1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.57cbb84ff3718c0811aafa9a5823aff5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.939060b1e071de7b0a6ec92b16609295.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7af0ca9ec03a8db45c2e3165c0ddfb2c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.389fcbaf3c166ac06130d4e92d54d792.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures, Bruce.  It looks like a nice place to relax and enjoy the family.  We spent several summers in the RV in that area, but mainly used Newport as our base.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning!

All packed and will head out the door in less than an hour. Thanks for all the good wishes! I'm not sure how much I'll be able to check in. I'm on my Mac laptop and for some reason Safari doesn't like Cruise Critic on it (does fine on my desktop) and my other browser won't let me log in. 

The HAL app is just spinning on my phone so I'm glad I have a printout of my boarding pass. I'm a bit teary this morning but I figured I would be. The tears are right there behind the eyes. I tell people I was born with my bladder behind my eyes and I tend to leak! It gets a smile. 

I have cookies to give the  parking lot crew and everything is ready to go. 

Have a great Sunday enjoy the Labor Day weekend!

Karen

Karen, leaky eyes are to be expected as you begin a new cruise experience.  I have no doubt you will have a great cruise.

10 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I used to go to the cinema a fair amount, but sadly no longer as I can't sit through movies without discomfort. I bowled a good bit in the past, but after shoulder surgery, no longer. Some skyscrapers are quite amazing. Funny but often true quote. I'll pass on the meal and drink. Is the wine really from 2012? I haven't been to Celukan Bawang. Both good days in history to celebrate.

It's sunny and going to be nearly 90F today. I didn't get yard work done, and it's going to be too hot the next few days. I slept in this morning, as I couldn't fall asleep until after 2AM due to leg discomfort. I did wake up to post the Cares List, then fell right back asleep. So I really need my coffee that I'm just now drinking. Also my leg is itchy where I gave my RA shot way back on Wednesday; odd, but a Claritin is taking care of it.

@grapau27 Thank you for the link. It looks like a lovely day in your part of the world. Great photo of you and Pauline.

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry to hear about Mark and the 2 DGS's being ill. Exciting for the one DGS to go to Portugal for a week with DS.

@kazu Enjoy your visit with your friend. 

@Crazy For Cats Bon Voyage!

@luvteaching  Bon Voyage! And hugs to you on this new experience.

@Beckett Welcome to the Daily!

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad the cleaning person will be helping you get the house back together.

@smitty34877 I hope you can get some relaxation in this weekend, although the aide(s) may be off.

@ottahand7 I'm glad you're getting the staining done, in the absence of the painter. Sorry the fishing and tomatoes weren't up to expectations this year. Beautiful butterfly picture.

@1ANGELCAT It's awful that Longwood Gardens has to be closed due to that escaped convict. How did that happen if he was in maximum security? I saw video from someone's camera that purportedly showed him at night, only about 2 miles from the prison.

@aliaschief Enjoy the family and the surroundings! Thanks for the photos.

@RMLincoln Safe travels today. I hope DH's eye pressures normalize soon with the extra meds.

@cruising sister Such a heartbreaking update on Baby Murphy. Prayers for her and her family. 

@kochleffel Sounds like a good plan for the luggage on your trip.

@ger_77 That smoke in the air sounds awful; I hope it clears out soon. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm sorry your leg issues didn't let you sleep well last night.

3 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Said goodbye to a number of passengers last night; glad we didn’t have to pack and leave our suitcases in the hallway.

Walked into town this morning after breakfast in the MDR and went to church. Returned for the smoothest boarding ever to continue our B2B cruise. I like just being able to say the magic words “in transit” and bypassing all the lines.

I think we will eat well for the next ten days judging from the amount of food being loaded onto the ship.

IMG_1971.thumb.jpeg.ede74e538c6527a896a16fa20f8ec28d.jpeg

IMG_1973.thumb.jpeg.50db6e54ca7e42607c685d1f3b7ec4dc.jpeg

IMG_1974.thumb.jpeg.e92f7f9bb2c5b372ab5ccc8a8d16d641.jpeg

IMG_1976.thumb.jpeg.e16aaa73be52eb81ee18b9b45297e556.jpeg

Tony, thanks for the pictures.  That is my kind of turnaround day.  Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry the fishing was not good this year, and the tomatoes are not ripening.  As far as the fishing, have you tried this hint?

370520403_3773671629526854_5225251940614379835_n.thumb.jpg.1289209c1f25bdfc00ff86b02c9ca3a4.jpg

Sorry, but I couldn't resist posting this when I saw it.  😁

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Since no one seems to have been to today's port in Bali, I thought I'd repost my pictures from our 2000 visit to the other side of the island.  I think some of the places we visited can be reached from Celukan Bawang, but others could be a bit too far away.

We were in Bali in 2000 on the P&O world cruise.  Another couple invited us to share a taxi for the day with them.  We saw a lot more of the island than most people who took tours.  It was a very interesting and fun day.

I will need to split the pictures into two groups and post them separately.

Approaching Bali

P2230309.thumb.JPG.ff6744fe457cc45b859cba0a2a890e58.JPG

P2230314.thumb.JPG.a4d18382a7f0b90a65f669e6ecaaa2bc.JPG

Greeters at the tender dock

P2230315.thumb.JPG.7830fb832f8531ec055c1994d7d31fc9.JPG

The majority of the population on Bali are Hindu, and there are personal shrines at most businesses and homes.  This shrine was at the gas station where the driver stopped.

P2230317.thumb.JPG.a89c60de2d4a859f6e4c3169721b897d.JPG

There are interesting statues along the roads.

P2230320.thumb.JPG.b73a46a10f65200eb08fb665676c19e4.JPG

I think this was our shopping stop.

P2230322.thumb.JPG.fa762d918e20d5659d0764809e1d0236.JPG

Our driver took us to the Scared Monkey Forest, which is a sanctuary and old temple.  The monkeys know the tourists will feed them bananas.  Our driver bought each of us a small bunch and warned us to only hold out one banana at a time as the monkeys can be a little aggressive trying to get the bananas.  We finally had to give several bananas to one monkey.

P2230329.thumb.JPG.6f085591a7b8741ac053eb5641d10b66.JPG

P2230342.thumb.JPG.b97213651ecd2ff6c2b6a6022215059a.JPG

P2230344.thumb.JPG.23b494ee0fa1fc91928de03449b6eebc.JPG

A mother and her baby.P2230337.thumb.JPG.24f97985cf7277d289838affa9a45fdf.JPG

The temple in the monkey forest.  We were required to cover our legs since we had on shorts, but they provided a cloth we could tie around our waist.  That included the men, too.

1139524019_P2230338-Copy.thumb.JPG.23ceaac0ca49423e741407a5162f9a4d.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Here are the remaining pictures of our day in Bali.  We were supposed to be there in 2002 on Volendam's APEC cruise.  The port was canceled after the nightclub bombing.  Captain Peter Harris sailed close enough to Bali for us to take a few pictures of the island.  It was a very grey, cloudy day, and the pictures are not good enough to share.

I'm pretty sure we were the only four people on the ship who got to see how the Balinese live.  Our driver took us to his family's home, which is really a compound.  His brother's job is carving masks which someone else paints before the "big boss" sells them to the shops.  We got to see the brother carving a mask out of balsa wood.  After much discussion, the brother agreed to sell us an unpainted mask.  He was afraid he would get in trouble with his boss, but in the end each couple walked away with a mask.  It means more to me than a finished one I could buy in a store.

P2240346.thumb.JPG.2ff2d8205bae57ced293edc8b622e4b0.JPG

Notice the chickens in the cages.

P2240347.thumb.JPG.d70eb64a74ba978a8ace0f4dd3e716e0.JPG

P2240348.thumb.JPG.c5de5904e9bb3bfd3f8c5c7b36727848.JPG

P2240349.thumb.JPG.c715fccd1ff67e3acd238a2efacbf68a.JPG

Our next stop was Klungkung, a former royal palace in Semarapura, Bali.

P2240354.thumb.JPG.46b634187b6e579c3ccac6fdec013f3a.JPG

P2240357.thumb.JPG.9f23863d93f91af87be195e480310a87.JPG

One the way back to the tender pier. 

P2240362.thumb.JPG.7c48e79fcae52d1475d25d6209fa1023.JPG

P2240363.thumb.JPG.bcd804612c4b9859043ed7d2cc296609.JPG

At the tender dock.

P2240365.thumb.JPG.cdf8179779150b51f961b17ffe57096b.JPG

Some of the girls who danced for the passengers as they shopped.  If you did not want to be hassled, you kept your eyes off the items for sale.

P2240368.thumb.JPG.9cbe80e3d9c87f5d30883e182773df59.JPG

We wanted one of the large, decorative kites for sale on the island, but knew we couldn't get it home on the plane.  Ironically, we found one in Quartzsite the next winter, and it's hanging on our livingroom wall.  Good thing the ceiling is 17 feet high.

P2240369.thumb.JPG.7a77fc062adf90146bdc9709b30aef13.JPG

P2240375.thumb.JPG.cea1fc12a9590ff4980b1e91a38112ae.JPG

Our driver for the day stopped on the way back to the tender, and asked us to pay him then.  He, along with other drivers, lived with the owner of the car.  If we paid him at the dock and tipped him (which we did ), the owner would see the transaction and want all the money.  By paying before the final stop at the dock, he got to keep the tip.  We also had to get back a little earlier than necessary, as the driver had to be at the owner's house in time for the evening meal.  If he arrived after the meal, he would not be fed that night.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Here are the remaining pictures of our day in Bali.  We were supposed to be there in 2002 on Volendam's APEC cruise.  The port was canceled after the nightclub bombing.  Captain Peter Harris sailed close enough to Bali for us to take a few pictures of the island.  It was a very grey, cloudy day, and the pictures are not good enough to share.

I'm pretty sure we were the only four people on the ship who got to see how the Balinese live.  Our driver took us to his family's home, which is really a compound.  His brother's job is carving masks which someone else paints before the "big boss" sells them to the shops.  We got to see the brother carving a mask out of balsa wood.  After much discussion, the brother agreed to sell us an unpainted mask.  He was afraid he would get in trouble with his boss, but in the end each couple walked away with a mask.  It means more to me than a finished one I could buy in a store.

P2240346.thumb.JPG.2ff2d8205bae57ced293edc8b622e4b0.JPG

Notice the chickens in the cages.

P2240347.thumb.JPG.d70eb64a74ba978a8ace0f4dd3e716e0.JPG

P2240348.thumb.JPG.c5de5904e9bb3bfd3f8c5c7b36727848.JPG

P2240349.thumb.JPG.c715fccd1ff67e3acd238a2efacbf68a.JPG

Our next stop was Klungkung, a former royal palace in Semarapura, Bali.

P2240354.thumb.JPG.46b634187b6e579c3ccac6fdec013f3a.JPG

P2240357.thumb.JPG.9f23863d93f91af87be195e480310a87.JPG

One the way back to the tender pier. 

P2240362.thumb.JPG.7c48e79fcae52d1475d25d6209fa1023.JPG

P2240363.thumb.JPG.bcd804612c4b9859043ed7d2cc296609.JPG

At the tender dock.

P2240365.thumb.JPG.cdf8179779150b51f961b17ffe57096b.JPG

Some of the girls who danced for the passengers as they shopped.  If you did not want to be hassled, you kept your eyes off the items for sale.

P2240368.thumb.JPG.9cbe80e3d9c87f5d30883e182773df59.JPG

We wanted one of the large, decorative kites for sale on the island, but knew we couldn't get it home on the plane.  Ironically, we found one in Quartzsite the next winter, and it's hanging on our livingroom wall.  Good thing the ceiling is 17 feet high.

P2240369.thumb.JPG.7a77fc062adf90146bdc9709b30aef13.JPG

P2240375.thumb.JPG.cea1fc12a9590ff4980b1e91a38112ae.JPG

Our driver for the day stopped on the way back to the tender, and asked us to pay him then.  He, along with other drivers, lived with the owner of the car.  If we paid him at the dock and tipped him (which we did ), the owner would see the transaction and want all the money.  By paying before the final stop at the dock, he got to keep the tip.  We also had to get back a little earlier than necessary, as the driver had to be at the owner's house in time for the evening meal.  If he arrived after the meal, he would not be fed that night.

Lenda

Interesting photos Lenda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a few pics of our rented beach house in Depoe Beach, Oregon. Probably going to be a cloudy day and the Pacific is still churning. Planning on reading plus enjoying the view and inhaling that sea air.

Life is good.

image.thumb.jpeg.61df6251b323c0cffa48bf02bdf35876.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c91786ee8c7bef70c3ceba7266c7c2c1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.57cbb84ff3718c0811aafa9a5823aff5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.939060b1e071de7b0a6ec92b16609295.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7af0ca9ec03a8db45c2e3165c0ddfb2c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.389fcbaf3c166ac06130d4e92d54d792.jpeg

Very nice Chief.  We have done this twice and really like the Oregon coast; especially the way the coast line changes from south to north. Have you ever been to the Tillamook Cheese and Ice Cream Plant in Tillamook? The ice cream is incredible!

• Like 13

Life is good.

Great views Bruce.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Very nice Chief.  We have done this twice and really like the Oregon coast; especially the way the coast line changes from south to north. Have you ever been to the Tillamook Cheese and Ice Cream Plant in Tillamook? The ice cream is incredible!

👍 On the ice cream and cheese.

Lenda

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

👍 On the ice cream and cheese.

Lenda

Ms Crystal. I give it two Tums up!  Was so excited several years ago when Tillamook Ice Cream made it to Florida in Publix.  But became very disappointed when the ice cream did not taste at all like at the Plant. Me thinks the fat content has been lowered signficantly. 😩

• Like 16