The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 14th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Crab Fest Day, National Cream-Filled Donut Day, and National Quiet Day (UK)

I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends. - Walt Whitman

Meal Suggestion for today - Classic Ratatouille
Drink of the Day - Kilbeggan®Irish Coffe
Wine of the Day - 2021 Elk Cove Vineyards Willamette Valley Estate Pinot Blanc
Destination of the Day - Road Town, Tortola BVI

Today in History:
1752 Britain and the British Empire (including the American colonies) adopt the Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3 - Sept 13)
1956 IBM introduces the RAMAC 305, 1st commercial computer with a hard drive that uses magnetic disk storage, weighs over a ton

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Barcelona, Spain eta 09-15

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1800

Oosterdam

Barcelona, Spain d1700

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09-15

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

Eastport< Maine 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Quebec eta 09-15

0914Alaska.thumb.png.6101d81afc703fd848a3a4f63a459bc0.png

0914Atlantic.thumb.png.5562bc685986991ba033e63721214445.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another jacket morning, only 7°C (45°F) this morning. 

No crab here today, I don't need any donuts.  National quiet day sounds like a great thing.

I'm not sure about the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  I'm seeing 68 degrees and cloudy skies this morning.  We expect a high of only 79 with rain this afternoon.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for your Fleet Report and Daily for today!

Crab Fest Day will please the seafood lovers.  I enjoy cream filled donuts but my favorite would be custard filled.  I can certainly appreciate quiet days so would fit right in with my English friends.  It took me two or three readings to understand exactly what Walt Whitman meant and feel he must have had some wonderful friends.  No thanks to the ratatouille.  The Irish coffee might be good but I don't drink coffee - ever!  I would drink the pinot blanc if it isn't too dry. 🥂 The Gregorian calendar change is quite interesting.  And way to go with the computer back in 1956.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers to all on the Care list and anyone needing them who aren't listed.  That could be quite a large number.  First prayers are sent to DB, and to my friend's DB Mark.  Then special prayers for Baby Murphy and to Terry's @smitty34877 DH Lou who is now home and I'm sure relieved to be out of the hospital.  Praying for comfort for him and for strength and calm for the entire household including Tana. 🙏 Hope those ailing such as Roy @rafinmd and Terri @Cruzin Terri feel relief from pain (and Covid) today.  Congrats to our cruisers and all on the Celebration list.  It's good to see so many enjoying life.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping those lists for us.  I hope since the yard work is done you can relax today.  

Our port is Road Town, Tortola BVI this morning and it's a first time destination for the Daily.  No links again today!  We missed that port once so I have no photos to share.  I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing your photos if you have some to share.

I only finished 5 pages and started a 6th on my Canada/Iceland/Greenland cruise photo book.  DH needed my old laptop for a lot of the afternoon as he prepares the new one for me.  I couldn't do this without him so very big thanks to him!  Back at the photo book again today since we have no plans away from home.  In other news DS and DGS return to Michigan from Lisbon today.  A week from today that DGS will be moving into his dorm room at UCLA so DH and I will be in Frisco, TX staying with Ren while his parents are seeing to that duty.  

Hoping you all have a super Thursday.  Stay safe and well!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Smitty34877’s DH Lou now at home, on hospice care

CrabbyPatti’s DF placed on hospice care

Mamaofami’s DH Sam back in the hospital with an increase in his brain bleed

Rafinmd (Roy) testing positive for Covid, doing better

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Earthquake in Morocco and flooding in Libya, both with many deaths

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Hurricane Lee

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Crazy For Cats’ DM with a fall, pacemaker inserted, now in rehab facility

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now and eventual surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Heartgrove!

Bon Voyage Lady Hudson!

Bon Voyage Mr. Boston!

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas doing well and getting the ok to cruise!

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Cruising-along (Celebrity Solstice Sept 15 to Sept 22) Alaska

2 days for Haljo1935 (Carnival Venezia Sept 16 to Sept 29, B2B) NY/Canada/NE

3 days for SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam Sept 17 to Oct 1) Great Alaskan Explorer

RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy to Sept 20, B2B), Heartgrove (MSC Preziosa to Sept 24, British Isles), Lady Hudson (Jewel of the Seas to Sept 28, Canada and Greenland), Mr. Boston (Oosterdam to Oct 8, Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

As far as UK quiet day, Graham this is for you; 🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫!

Not fond of creamed filled donuts. Like crabs not crawling. Like visiting Tortola.

Last time in Tortola,  before Wi-Fi on ships, I went ashore to find local Wi-Fi. Found a bar near port that required me to buy a drink for free Wi-Fi. I asked the bartender what was the password to get on internet. She replied, “You Need a Drink”!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lot of humidity in our early morning air. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists! I really appreciate the effort you put in to them. Zumba, Bindi walks, chores and if weather permits - celebrating a friend’s entry in to a new decade at our favorite beach front ice cream place. I foresee some salted caramel in my future. 😎

IMG_1745.jpeg.022bbb9d3bced24dfd973a35b2f9c416.jpeg

IMG_1621.jpeg.f0e3766811b48015f1a07ca4bbd06a2e.jpeg

IMG_1750.jpeg.21f647896fde898dc2598de686d3cdde.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially Lou, Terry, Tana, & the entire family & Baby Murphy and her family. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Roy, glad you are feeling better. Kudos to the law enforcement team who caught the escapee.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

2021 Elk Cove Vineyards Willamette Valley Estate Pinot Blanc

A lovely dry white wine that closely resembles a Pinot Gris. Consumers and critics appreciate its medium body. It is easy to find with online prices starting at $17.69.

Winemaker Notes

Pear, tangerine and ginger on the nose lead to a juicy, rounded palate of honeydew melon, green apple, Cara Cara orange and a river rock freshness.

RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2021 Pinot Blanc is bursting with aromas of white peach, quince, honeycomb and flint with spicy undertones. The palate's broad, savory mouthfeel is countered by mouthwatering freshness, and it has a long, textural finish.

TP92 Wine.com Tasting Panel

Fruit from estate hillside vineyards was whole cluster- pressed and cold-fermented in small stainless-steel tanks to produce this wine. The freshness is apparent, starting with a complex, voluptuous nose of green apple and fresh- squeezed orange. Racy acidity melds with hints of cashew, green tea, and pineapple.

WS90 Wine Spectator
Sleek and vibrant, with kiwi, melon and nectarine flavors that unfold on the lively finish.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Should be somewhat cooler today. Lots of appointments today both personal and clients. Turns out Fancy has a little separation anxiety. When I work from my home office, I have to shut the door as she comes in and gets into the cat stuff. When I close the door, she gets anxious and starts chewing on things. I may have to crate her when I am on video calls. She loves her crate and feels safe there. She also gets worried when I leave her sight and comes looking for me. I sense some abuse in her past. I was never given much of a history. She is a sweet dog who loves to cuddle. She is also a funny and very active dog, in the afternoons. She is not a morning dog. Love her. 

Think of all on the care list. 

Celebrating all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for thursday cat memes

• Like 35

Kilbeggan Irish Coffee:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts Kilbeggan® Single Grain Irish Whiskey
3 parts Coffee
1 tbsp Brown Sugar Syrup*
Garnish: Whipped heavy cream,
Grated Nutmeg

Instructions
Rinse coffee mug with hot water and then add brown sugar syrup* and Kilbeggan® whiskey. Fill mug with coffee. Lightly whip heavy cream and pour gently into the mug over the back of a spoon. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

*To make brown sugar syrup, combine 2 parts brown sugar and 1 part water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from burner and let cool. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.25.34 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon.

It is 62°F and sunny here.

Thank you for today's daily, food & drink and care lists.

3 interesting days.

We have been to Tortola on a cruise.

I hope everyone is feeling well today.

Congratulations to all who are sailing or due to sail soon.

I hope we all have a fantastic day.

Screenshot_20230914_122720.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I can go for crab all day, every day!  Donuts, hmmm...... I wish today would be quiet but I don't think that will happen.  Agree with Walt, will pass on all the food and drinks and never been to Tortola.

Good day yesterday so should be a good day today.  Subbing in the same class - 8th grade science.  We are talking about heredity, genotypes and phenotypes.  Having fun!  I am finding I am really hurting in the knees when I get home.  I have never been a "sit down" or "stand in one place" teacher; I tend to wander as I speak.  This isn't new but, boy, I am really noticing it lately.  I hate taking pills so.....  we will see what my PCP states when I see him in a month.

Off to the gym in a few.  It is getting to be crunch time and I have to start getting ready to head up to Vancouver, BC.  I have booked so many sub gigs (some by request) that I only have a couple of free days.  🙂 

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating!!

Have a great Friday Eve everyone!!

• Like 31

24 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

As far as UK quiet day, Graham this is for you; 🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫!

Not fond of creamed filled donuts. Like crabs not crawling. Like visiting Tortola.

Last time in Tortola,  before Wi-Fi on ships, I went ashore to find local Wi-Fi. Found a bar near port that required me to buy a drink for free Wi-Fi. I asked the bartender what was the password to get on internet. She replied, “You Need a Drink”!

Thank you Redneck Bob.

You may be surprised to hear that  I am fairly quiet except when posting on here.

Pauline is the chatterbox in our household.

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the daily and fleet reports @richwmn.   I wish I could still eat a CF Donut but the sugar really doesn't agree with me.  We had a mini crab fest 2 days ago and probably will have crab cakes again on Sunday.   I appreciate quiet so it should have its' own day.  A great quote by Walt Whitman,   Pass on the eggplant dish, pass on the sweet drink but the Elk Cove Pinot Gris looks like a winner.  Thanks to @summer slope, @dfish and @cat shepard.   We have never been to Tortola and look forward to photos of today's port. 

Prayers for Lou, Murphy, Sam and everyone else needing them.  Prayers for all the people of Ukraine, Maui, Morocco and Libya.  Prayers that Lee does not cause any destruction.    

I have a Zoom call this morning.   First time in probably 18 months.  It is about our state garden council's scholarships.  I have volunteered to deal with NMU and Lake Superior State speaking with their registrars about the parameters for the scholarships.  The person in charge of this process is a true procrastinator and I had hoped to have this project done in May.  Here we are backed up so I am doing it at a very busy time trying to get our property back in shape after being gone for 3.5 months.   Have a great Thursday!  Nancy 

• Like 29

Happy Friday Eve.  Thank You Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I'll pass on the Crabs and Cream Filled donuts but celebrate Quiet, Computers, and the Georgrrian Calendar.

I've been to Road Town twice, Blount's Grande Caribe in 2008 and Prinsendam in 2013:

vista3.jpg

@Denise T I watched a wrapup of the capture on this morning's news and the caption on the reporter was Pottstown.  I'm sure you must be especially relieved that it's over.

I'll pass on the ratatouille.

Bon Voyage @Heartgrove @Mr. Boston and @Lady Hudson,

Finally some good news.  75.0 this morning followed by a negative home test.

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Friday Eve.  Thank You Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I'll pass on the Crabs and Cream Filled donuts but celebrate Quiet, Computers, and the Georgrrian Calendar.

I've been to Road Town twice, Blount's Grande Caribe in 2008 and Prinsendam in 2013:

vista3.jpg

@Denise T I watched a wrapup of the capture on this morning's news and the caption on the reporter was Pottstown.  I'm sure you must be especially relieved that it's over.

I'll pass on the ratatouille.

Bon Voyage @Heartgrove @Mr. Boston and @Lady Hudson,

Finally some good news.  75.0 this morning followed by a negative home test.

Roy

Very relieved. Too close for comfort. They found him about 20 minutes away from my house. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

I like cream filled donuts and realize it's been a while since I've had one.

Not sure I agree w/the quote - I would like to think I am worthy and deserving of good things, including my dear friends.

Pass on the meal and drink; not been to Tortola.

Thank goodness for the RAMAC 305 and double thanks for the technology that has allowed future computers to weigh a bit less 😊

Therapist did not email the exercise plan she said she would, so I'll try to reach her today. I have an extremely full work day today and set an alarm to check in for my flight this afternoon so I'll add another one for "email therapist." 

Have a bit of editing to do to on the packing; goal is to zip the suitcases before dinner.

DH saw his cardiologist yesterday - full blood workup done, echo and stress test scheduled. Echo will be done while I'm gone - hope Cardio emails results cuz DH is really bad at listening to the details when he is told results. He was supposed to have a couple stents replaced (has 7) this year, but that got postponed so maybe the Echo & stress test are in preparation for getting that back on schedule? Or maybe it's just time because it's been more than 6 months since the last ones? I don't know, DH didn't ask, he just said ok.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1