Celebrity Suite Travellers

MAJ

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Admit that we usually spend more times in the lounges than the Retreat when on S-Class ships but just the opposite on Millennium, which we only sailed once.  On Millennium when we went to the lounges there was simply too much loud conversation going on between passengers to be able to enjoy the entertaining, especially in Cellar Masters. 

I do however, enjoy interacting with the bartender in the Retreat/Michael's Club on the S-class ships and have found some to be very knowledgeable and entertaining, Cranston being one such.

Staff at the retreat is normally top notch , sometimes martini bar is two deep and suite lounge is empty so I will get, my martini there , once I had no liquor package and just got all our drinks there .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MAJ said:

I have just returned from my cruise on Silhouette 3rd one this year 

We were sitting enjoying a drink with another couple  of guests in the Ensemble Lounge when a group of four passing us to go into the Retreat Lounge one of them decided to 

berate us saying you POOR people having to sit in this dreary lounge when we have a beautiful one here yes the emphasis was on the word poor I was so angry I wanted to follow him in but my husband held me back 

it would have come to fisticuffs and we would probably have been put off at the next port , money talks even if it’s with bad manners 

So your idea of handling this would have been to physically attact him (your own words, fisticuffs)?  Not sure what that says about having good manners. If he was not joking (and are you sure about that?) I would have been mad also, and perhaps said something.  But fisticuffs?  Honestly I really suspect he was joking (admittedly very inappropriately - I am not defending it) and perhaps your reaction was a little extreme based on what you said it would have come to?  Only you can honestly make that assessment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

So your idea of handling this would have been to physically attact him (your own words, fisticuffs)?  Not sure what that says about having good manners. If he was not joking (and are you sure about that?) I would have been mad also, and perhaps said something.  But fisticuffs?  Honestly I really suspect he was joking (admittedly very inappropriately - I am not defending it) and perhaps your reaction was a little extreme based on what you said it would have come to?  Only you can honestly make that assessment. 

My assessment is you sail in suites?

7 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

My assessment is you sail in suites?

Your assessment is wrong. Yes, I sometimes sail in suites. And sometimes in inside cabins, ocean view cabins,  balcony cabins, and everything in-between.  I have encountered rude and obnoxious fellow passengers in all types of cabins, fortunately not very often.  I honestly think it is very likely the rude person was attempting to be funny and the OP didn't get the joke and overreacted ( and if a joke it was admittedly a bad attempt at one). 

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Your assessment is wrong. Yes, I sometimes sail in suites. And sometimes in inside cabins, ocean view cabins,  balcony cabins, and everything in-between.  I have encountered rude and obnoxious fellow passengers in all types of cabins, fortunately not very often.

Good response and so have we. But the few rude and obnoxious people we have met, not a clue what type of cabin they were in, not sure how you’d know, and we don’t care.

1 minute ago, C4HCG said:

Good response and so have we. But the few rude and obnoxious people we have met, not a clue what type of cabin they were in, not sure how you’d know, and we don’t care.

You're right I often wouldn't know unless I saw them in Luminae or the Retreat when I am in suites. Or by seeing their cruise card. I just haven't found,  when I am in suites, people who are more or less rude, snobby,  entitled or whatever than anyone else. Money doesn't mean manners. But it also doesn't mean lack of manners. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

You're right I often wouldn't know unless I saw them in Luminae or the Retreat when I am in suites. Or by seeing their cruise card. I just haven't found,  when I am in suites, people who are more or less rude, snobby,  entitled or whatever than anyone else. Money doesn't mean manners. But it also doesn't mean lack of manners. 

And money isn’t restricted to suite sailors either which is what you are inferring. And I never doubted the vast majority of suite passengers are well mannered, as are the vast majority of other cruisers. 

5 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

And money isn’t restricted to suite sailors either which is what you are inferring. And I never doubted the vast majority of suite passengers are well mannered, as are the vast majority of other cruisers. 

You are correct.  My bad. People can have plenty of money and prefer to book other cabins. Or conversely save up to splurge on a suite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

You are correct.  My bad. People can have plenty of money and prefer to book other cabins. Or conversely save up to splurge on a suite.

Everybody spends their money on what they want , some people have two homes , some buy cars every other year , we like traveling first class which includes suites . It’s all celebrity fault for giving us a free upgrade to a suite a little over s decade ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, MAJ said:

We were sitting enjoying a drink with another couple  of guests in the Ensemble Lounge when a group of four passing us to go into the Retreat Lounge one of them decided to 

berate us saying you POOR people having to sit in this dreary lounge when we have a beautiful one here yes the emphasis was on the word poor I was so angry I wanted to follow him in but my husband held me back 

it would have come to fisticuffs and we would probably have been put off at the next port , money talks even if it’s with bad manners 

such bad manners any more.   disgusting 

We are always in Retreat as we are in suites.  I love the Ensemble  lounge!  We do not frequent The Retreat often.  I don’t consider myself  stuck up.  Just take it as a rude person.  You were the bigger person by not starting an argument with him.

15 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Bottom line to us is flying first class in a plane gets you there no quicker, and on a ship we spend so little time on our cabin it’s not worth paying premium rates, a balcony does us. Don’t need waiting on, we keep our Deep Sleep badge on the door most days, we can tidy up for ourselves.

My DH insists we fly first class.  We are working people.  However, he cannot stand three in a row and it makes him enjoy our vacations so much more.  No problem with finding over the seat carry on luggage space and we both like being close to the bathroom and exit.  We aren't rich but this sets the tone for a great vacation for us.  We also like suites, we appreciate more room and enjoy the suite so much more then a regular cabin. The suite lounges and perks also make the trips so much more special.

We used to go on 4 cruises a year, but will cut the cruises down as prices are now obscene unless you are happy with an inside cabin. To each his/her own.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Whiteduck1 said:

Please don't worry or get upset, next time you cruise I'd just go for another line.. Let's be honest there are a certain type of people who book the Retreat.. Poor things 

Please provide more details '...there are a certain type of people who book the Retreat...' as I exclusively book The Retreat and I have never come across the particular type of person you mentioned. I believe that rudeness or entitlement does not have a specific category, as it can be found everywhere.  *Speaking in vague, general terms is never a favorable impression.

• Like 1

There could be a certain type of people who book suites to lord it over others.  Those people are boors.  They could also be living well beyond their means to get there.  You never know anyone else's story.

The majority of suite passengers I've met are perfectly fine and don't look down their noses at anyone.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Whiteduck1 said:

Let's be honest there are a certain type of people who book the Retreat.. Poor things 

Yes, please define the traits of those "certain type of people who book the Retreat". You have made an unfounded categorical statement inferring that ANYONE booking a suite falls into the class of being a "certain type" .  It is a very derisive statement.

We have cruised in all classes of cabins, but now our preference is a suite.  I doubt you could pick us out in a crowd. We drink in Michaels (or whatever the name is now) because the coast of drinks are part of the fare we paid for our cruise.

We are fortunate, but with one exception not extravagant.  That exception is that at least one night for dinner we like dressing up.  Sometimes in suit and tie and sometimes in a Tux (anniversary cruises).  We do that for us and not to show off, and we have done that in all classes of cabins we have booked in the past.

Yes, sadly we have encounter two couples, ironically on the same cruise, who felt they were superior than the rest of us. One couple were soap box actors who had booked the Penthouse and the other couple was a retired U.S. Navy Admiral and his wife.  The two couples gravitated together.  They treated the other suite guests as untouchables.  Did it bother the rest of us?  Hell no! 

That said, there is no excuse for bad manners obnoxious behavior! 

Like a CC acquaintance I have made on the NCL forum (Sthrngary) is fond of saying,

"If You Can't Respond With Class, Empathy and Professionalism; Simply DON'T respond."

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Yes, please define the traits of those "certain type of people who book the Retreat". You have made an unfounded categorical statement inferring that ANYONE booking a suite falls into the class of being a "certain type" .  It is a very derisive statement.

We have cruised in all classes of cabins, but now our preference is a suite.  I doubt you could pick us out in a crowd. We drink in Michaels (or whatever the name is now) because the coast of drinks are part of the fare we paid for our cruise.

We are fortunate, but with one exception not extravagant.  That exception is that at least one night for dinner we like dressing up.  Sometimes in suit and tie and sometimes in a Tux (anniversary cruises).  We do that for us and not to show off, and we have done that in all classes of cabins we have booked in the past.

Yes, sadly we have encounter two couples, ironically on the same cruise, who felt they were superior than the rest of us. One couple were soap box actors who had booked the Penthouse and the other couple was a retired U.S. Navy Admiral and his wife.  The two couples gravitated together.  They treated the other suite guests as untouchables.  Did it bother the rest of us?  Hell no! 

That said, there is no excuse for bad manners obnoxious behavior! 

Like a CC acquaintance I have made on the NCL forum (Sthrngary) is fond of saying,

"If You Can't Respond With Class, Empathy and Professionalism; Simply DON'T respond."

I’m around this in my daily life….people who feel a need to show off, think they are superior and keep others out of the clique. Where we lunch as a group is about the image that is portrayed to the community. I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life. Seriously, the true wealth isn’t so much about money and not every culture shows wealth like the western cultures, or feels a need to. I know I’m equal to you, it’s that you haven’t realized it yet….that’s my motto.

• Like 1

This was posted by SWJUMBO on the ZENITH ACCESS TO RETREAT  thread.. 

"If you’ve paid for First Class on a European or Middle Eastern airline and have frequent fliers trying to sit at the bar you’d be rightly hacked off.

Same with Celebrity. Why should they get this ‘right’?

With so many lovely bars throughout the ship why is there a need for access to The Retreat?

Do they want to laud it up over the rest of us? I’ve seen these people on so many cruises having this perceived right of passage over the ‘younger’ ones.

It’s a ‘suite’ area. IMHO it should remain so."

Not very nice..

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 9:17 AM, MAJ said:

Too bad you weren’t also in a suite and followed them in and then sat down just to see their reaction.   They probably would have reported you to the host as being an intruder.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sharing and being respectful were taught in kindergarten, but some were in the potty during that lesson and those forthcoming...it is always about them and not about you unless you choose to engage, creating a larger issue, but that’s your choice.

My mother always waved if a car honked at her; the responses were very interesting to see, especially with that big smile on her face!😁

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

chat GPT gave a perfect comeback

"Well, they say money can't buy happiness, but it can certainly buy you a suite on a cruise. I prefer to spread my happiness around, so I'll stick with mingling with all the lovely people on the regular decks. Who knows, maybe I'll even make some friends who don't judge others by the size of their staterooms."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Guera53 said:

chat GPT gave a perfect comeback

"Well, they say money can't buy happiness, but it can certainly buy you a suite on a cruise. I prefer to spread my happiness around, so I'll stick with mingling with all the lovely people on the regular decks. Who knows, maybe I'll even make some friends who don't judge others by the size of their staterooms."

”Perfect comeback” to what exactly?

It would be nice to hear what You actually had to say.

In over 40 years of cruising I've never met anyone on a cruise who's ever judged someone else by the “size of their stateroom”.

IMHO, your Bot missed the mark.

• Like 2

I agree that bad behavior exists everywhere, though happily it's not been endemic on the cruises I've been on.  Generally in my experience this behavior has been the worst in those that I call the "almost haves", those knocking on the door of becoming a 'have' but aren't quite there yet.  They feel they have something to prove (the inferiority complex of these social climbers is the worst).  They feel a more compelling need to show that they belong, and the easiest way to do that is to be loud, to show off and to demean those they deem 'beneath them'.  It's sad, really, but human nature.