Love Royal but they need to fix the disembarkation

pfm18

The last morning of any RC cruise is an occasion to be dreaded. Even on the fairly regular occasion that we have a late flight home, we are still forced to eat breakfast before 8am and vacate our room early. Should be a late checkout option IMO, even for a small fee.

However, my recent experience was even worse. I was on the explorer cruise that was diverted to Trieste instead of Ravenna, which I completely understand was a decision made in the interests of safety for both guests and crew. What I didn’t appreciate was the ship docking at 3am and then immediately starting to disembark. Had we gone to Ravenna as planned, the disembarkation would have started hours later and it was unfair to cut short the vacations of people by forcing them to leave the ship at 4am.

Even for those of us lucky enough to have a slightly later transfer (still 8am mind, 3-4 hours earlier than I actually wanted), there was no chance of any sleep because the tannoy was going off every few minutes screaming at people to get off the ship.

Royal really need to adopt a more relaxed final day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

So, you had a unique experience. It will happen.

As for a later disembarkation, as long as you a fine with an 8pm embarkation, this could be done for everyone.

Um, no. Embarkation should be done at the normal time but no staterooms available until late afternoon IMO. 

• Haha 3

Your experience was definitely a unique one. Virgin does a late pier-arrival time so people can sleep in on disembarkation day. The trade-off is you don't board until after 2pm. It's not worth it on the back end. You end up with an awkward amount of time to waste after a hotel checkout. Or you end up at Bayside Marketplace (🤮).

• Like 6

18 hours ago, pfm18 said:

Um, no. Embarkation should be done at the normal time but no staterooms available until late afternoon IMO. 

Some countries require the ship to get to a zero count in between cruises so they can't start embarkation until after the last guest has left from the previous cruise.  Allowing late disembarkation in those ports would delay embarkation for everyone.

As others have mentioned, I have seen the option to disembark later for a fee in those ports that would allow it.

None of that though is going to deal with unique circumstances like you recently experienced.  

• Like 2

Even with the “Stay Awhile” program offered in some European cruises, passengers still must be out of their staterooms early, as stewards need yo prep those staterooms for new guests.  From the original post, the OP does not want to vacate the stateroom early.  The stay awhile program might cost more than the “even for a small fee” the OP imagined.

Personally, I want to board a ship early on embarkation day and access my cabin relatively soon thereafter.   That means I must vacate the cabin early at the end of the cruise so it can be prepped for the next cruise.  Judging by the rush of people to their cabins as soon as they are available on embarkation day, many people want early access to their cabins.  I suspect the current system will remain, even if the op does not like to get up early.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 8

On 10/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, pfm18 said:

The last morning of any RC cruise is an occasion to be dreaded. Even on the fairly regular occasion that we have a late flight home, we are still forced to eat breakfast before 8am and vacate our room early. Should be a late checkout option IMO, even for a small fee.

However, my recent experience was even worse. I was on the explorer cruise that was diverted to Trieste instead of Ravenna, which I completely understand was a decision made in the interests of safety for both guests and crew. What I didn’t appreciate was the ship docking at 3am and then immediately starting to disembark. Had we gone to Ravenna as planned, the disembarkation would have started hours later and it was unfair to cut short the vacations of people by forcing them to leave the ship at 4am.

Even for those of us lucky enough to have a slightly later transfer (still 8am mind, 3-4 hours earlier than I actually wanted), there was no chance of any sleep because the tannoy was going off every few minutes screaming at people to get off the ship.

Royal really need to adopt a more relaxed final day. 

What an unusual circumstance, sorry this happened to all of you. 

I am one who is ready to leave when the cruise is over, I don't like hanging around the last day. I am much happier to board the ship at 10:30 or 11 and enjoy my first day. Most hotels have a check out time between 10 and noon, I can't picture how I'd spend my time if I couldn't get on board after checking out of the hotel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

What an unusual circumstance, sorry this happened to all of you. 

I am one who is ready to leave when the cruise is over, I don't like hanging around the last day. I am much happier to board the ship at 10:30 or 11 and enjoy my first day. Most hotels have a check out time between 10 and noon, I can't picture how I'd spend my time if I couldn't get on board after checking out of the hotel. 

Exactly, on the last morning your cruise is over. Get off the ship so the crew can turn it over and let the new folks start their vacation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Exactly, on the last morning your cruise is over. Get off the ship so the crew can turn it over and let the new folks start their vacation.

Agree.  Turnaround day is hectic enough as it is, but to have to keep track of (even paying) passengers debarking late, is just a huge headache. 

They offered a package with pool privileges and lunch many years ago.  You could stay on until 2-3pm.  That want away pretty fast.

If one has a late flight, then rent a hotel room for the day, go back to sleep, and have a great late lunch, or dinner before your flight.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, pcur said:

They offered a package with pool privileges and lunch many years ago.  You could stay on until 2-3pm.  That want away pretty fast.

As others have mentioned this is still offered in Europe.

Personally I think its a terrible idea, who wants to be on board at the end of your cruise with excited new cruisers coming on board listening to the Cruise Directors announcements knowing you are going home,

It is though very popular by all accounts, apparently Royal are unable to offer it in the US due to a requirement for a zero count before new passengers are able to board but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Personally, I can never sleep on the last morning. Too much activity and noise from docking and in the corridors outside the room. I’m also one of those people that needs to ‘rip off the band-aid’ since leaving day is a downer. 

I'm the same, when I hear the clanking noises of docking I want off.

I don't even stop for breakfast, I'm not sure there is anything more depressing than last morning Windjammer.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

That is one reason we get the Key.  Still an early morning but a nice leisurely breakfast and a no line walk to get our luggage.

That’s the closest thing to a late checkout. We have enjoyed the Key for that fact. You can enjoy an enhanced breakfast menu eat leisurely and then disembark on your own time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 2:15 PM, pfm18 said:

Umm no, absolutely not.  I'm not lugging my carry-on around for 4 hours. Even if you could stay on the ship, food and bar venues are closed until 11:00 AM.  Plus in most ports, I can't board until you leave.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That’s the closest thing to a late checkout. We have enjoyed the Key for that fact. You can enjoy an enhanced breakfast menu eat leisurely and then disembark on your own time.

Key has a late breakfast??  What time?