The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 14th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Be Bald and Free Day, National Dessert Day, and World Egg Day

Halloween is the beginning of the holiday shopping season. That's for women. The beginning of the holiday shopping season for men is Christmas Eve. --David Letterman

Meal Suggestion for today - Classic Meatloaf
Drink of the Day - Minted Joe
Wine of the Day - Grain D’Océan Entre-deluxe-mers Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada

Today in History:
1322 Robert the Bruce of Scotland defeats King Edward II of England at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland's independence
1884 George Eastman patents paper-strip photographic film

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Mexico eta 10-15

Koningsdam

Nawiliwili (Kauai), Hawaii 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica eta 10-15

Nieuw Statendam

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 0700-1600

Noordam

Hilo, Hawaii 0800-1700

Oosterdam

Piraeus (Athens), Greece Overnight

Rotterdam

Ponta Delgada, Azores 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea Destination Tabuaeran, Fanning Islands eta 10/18

Zaandam

Manta, Ecuador 0800-2200

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira eta 10-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Yokohama, Japan 0700-1900

1014World.thumb.png.8db0bad4b9374294d18415f94bc04efc.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized, ? at rehab

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

Cruising-along’s DH with pneumonia

Cruzn single with Covid, after her cruise

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

1Angelcat’s friend Barb post surgery for pancreatic cancer, getting chemo

Quartzsite cruiser’s DH Steve’s post-shunt placement

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill improving from bronchitis

Smitty34877’s aide for Tana working out well

Cruising sister’s asthma improving

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Marshhawk (Carnival Pride Oct 18 to Oct 28, Oct 28 to Nov 12)

5 days for Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas Oct 19 to Oct 28, Canada & NE)

6 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

6 days for Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal)and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Good morning Dailyites. 🙂 

Yesterday I drove to San Diego to see friends that were there from their stop on Celebrity Eclipse. I had check all week to see the drive time and it ranged from 1hr 38min to 1hr 52min. I had to stop by work to get eclipse glasses that I forgot to bring home (they were the extras I had from 2017) so I estimated 2hr 25min (I didn’t want to be late and I always schedule a potty break). There was a bit of Friday traffic so I got there in 2hr 40min. Not bad. 

I then took them to La Jolla to see a friend (former in-law) which only took 20 minutes to get there. Then to Seaport Village for lunch and back to the ship. 

Of course we talked too long in both in La Jolla and at lunch, and I left San Diego at 3:35pm. Estimated time to get home was 3hr 40min. Got tired/sleepy part way (it was an early day) so I stopped for a 15min power nap and Starbucks. Got home in 4hr 25min (Vegas takes me less time to drive) and immediately went to bed. I knew Fri afternoon was traffic was going to be bad but I didn’t want to cut time visiting with friends. 

I just finished reading Wednesday’s FR&D so I’ll try to catch up on Thurs, Fri, and today. 

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Take care everyone. 

• Like 27

Good morning friends!  This morning is cloudy and 61F.  Later today the high will be around 75 with sunshine this afternoon.  Thanks Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report for Saturday, Oct. 14.

Thankfully I'm not bald but hope those who are feel free and happy about it.  I can celebrate desserts any day.  World Egg day was yesterday but I love eggs and their many uses in recipes.  The quote today is not what I expected but it can certainly be true.  I would enjoy a classic meatloaf for my dinner tonight but I doubt that's on our menu.  No thanks to the Minted Joe cocktail, and I have no idea what wine that is.  Good days in history with Robert the Bruce bringing Scotland their independence and the beginning of film by George Eastman.  I've visited Dunfermline, Scotland where the Robert the Bruce Dunfermline abbey is located.  That was a very good day of sightseeing for us.  The top of the abbey has King Robert the Bruce spelled out in stone.  Here is a photo or two explaining what I mean. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

His name and the other two sides say The Bruce.  I wish this place would be port of the day sometime!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the menu and beverage help.

Prayers this morning of course for the peoples of Israel and Ukraine.  Also my DB, Scott and Mark.  Scott is trying to get moved out of ICU to a Patient Care Unit but it is a struggle with his breathing issues.  Prayers also for our great group of people here and all our relatives and friends in need of them.  🙏  We would also like to make a toast to everyone celebrating happy events everywhere, and that our Dailyites enjoy their cruises.  We can't wait to get more reports from you all.🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the Care and Celebration lists!

The port this morning is Victoria, BC, on Vancouver Island, Canada.  It was our port only once before on Feb. 22, 2022.  That's a lot of twos!  Luckily we were able to visit there in 2019 when the cruise lines were spending a day there and not arriving at 8 pm for a few hours.  I really don't like that sort of itinerary.  It's a beautiful spot and deserves more time there so everyone can enjoy it.  Here is the link to 2-22-22 for you.

I'll post my photos of Victoria next.  Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

We were lucky enough to visit Victoria on one of our 50th wedding anniversary cruises.  The first cruise was in June-July 2019 with our family in Europe.  The second was in September 2019 on the 14 day Alaska cruise on ms Amsterdam.  This day in Victoria, BC took place on Sept. 8 which was 2 days after our actual anniversary.  What a lovely day we had there.  Weather was perfect and the scenery was beautiful.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIC0w-7WZ2RFHnrjPHIMmFX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233649

We followed the red brick road to the downtown area.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4MjLt8YDiFYk8C2uMuXNL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233659

Here's the route on this information board.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKLhLymEA_NiQZa62hTl3v?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227477

We walked around Fisherman's Wharf, British Columbia style.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXShgK2pJKMSkYMExD63L3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226956

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAZkT-j-ZI7HcD36I8_Eq7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233686

This is home for some lucky residents.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKCeo2mrs8t6-wfbXxXwDx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226956

We passed by the ferry loading cars and people onboard.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEi7UKU0e_tUQjEa68_J3a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226982

A view of the Fairmont Empress Hotel.  Huge!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKa9e8jtyxVrJgMRi2zSdkQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233746

The most gorgeous lilies I've ever seen.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8ksrdqujrYd6J0r7xmgaZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226995

A totem pole with the Parliament behind it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJoZpDrtV0odrC3em0dBpFg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227005

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLi7QDyT-XxInthXojxcuAi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227061

A different totem pole00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6Tw7wdPNdZRYXlDl-vAC8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227408

A buggy ride with a very handsome horse.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFkkFyk9WNjSqI0m3gaM1R?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227040

At first we were interested in this obelisk but then the tree caught our attention.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ8O98kzRnymrt1Gs9irnhL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227019

Very unique00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxNVhCCWgbrQaOVCwmeXa9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227033

Very old sequoia00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjOz0Y6W91-sQ5vJAlvL1l?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227035

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLw6F_RqOWLLXlqBluuBsCn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227411

statue of Capt. Cook00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVICsojuMjjVNsog08RaXCYh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227418

unique botanical statuary00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ1dj_vNbrflfJczHzhhVRT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227441

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQTqYzFWCYCzOEASfGfaCF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568234124

such a cute water taxi00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0rmC030lCJYOnkgJ-LtVb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227454

I hope I can visit Victoria again someday.  It's a beautiful spot on this globe.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool morning here, but at least it's not raining.  With any luck, I can work outside a bit today.   I hope it's clear enough that we can see the eclipse.  We are only going to get a partial eclipse and fortunately we have the appropriate eyewear to view it.

It seems that we had bald and free day recently, but my bald brother and (almost) bald husband will happily celebrate it.  Dessert day could be everyday, we finished the pumpkin pie I made for Thanksgiving, so I guess I'll have to make something for today.  I love eggs and am happy they have a day too.

A very amusing quote.

We had meatloaf earlier in the week for dinner but a new recipe might be good.  I'll pass on the drink.  Hope the wine is good.

I've never been to Victoria, but would love to visit someday.

Prayers for everyone

Have a great day.   Stay safe.

• Like 24

5 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool morning here, but at least it's not raining.  With any luck, I can work outside a bit today.   I hope it's clear enough that we can see the eclipse.  We are only going to get a partial eclipse and fortunately we have the appropriate eyewear to view it.

It seems that we had bald and free day recently, but my bald brother and (almost) bald husband will happily celebrate it.  Dessert day could be everyday, we finished the pumpkin pie I made for Thanksgiving, so I guess I'll have to make something for today.  I love eggs and am happy they have a day too.

A very amusing quote.

We had meatloaf earlier in the week for dinner but a new recipe might be good.  I'll pass on the drink.  Hope the wine is good.

I've never been to Victoria, but would love to visit someday.

Prayers for everyone

Have a great day.   Stay safe.

Melanie, you are right!  I thought we'd had a bald day earlier too.  Looks like Sept. 13 was Bald is Beautiful day.  They can have all the days they want to celebrate their baldness.  🧑‍🦲

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

Minted Joe cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
1/2 part Dark Matter Espresso
1/2 part Mint Syrup
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
1 small pinch Sea Salt
Garnish with 2 Fresh Mint Leaves

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice. Stir and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 7.26.27 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 15

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We were lucky enough to visit Victoria on one of our 50th wedding anniversary cruises.  The first cruise was in June-July 2019 with our family in Europe.  The second was in September 2019 on the 14 day Alaska cruise on ms Amsterdam.  This day in Victoria, BC took place on Sept. 8 which was 2 days after our actual anniversary.  What a lovely day we had there.  Weather was perfect and the scenery was beautiful.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIC0w-7WZ2RFHnrjPHIMmFX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233649

We followed the red brick road to the downtown area.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4MjLt8YDiFYk8C2uMuXNL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233659

Here's the route on this information board.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKLhLymEA_NiQZa62hTl3v?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227477

We walked around Fisherman's Wharf, British Columbia style.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXShgK2pJKMSkYMExD63L3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226956

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAZkT-j-ZI7HcD36I8_Eq7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233686

This is home for some lucky residents.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKCeo2mrs8t6-wfbXxXwDx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226956

We passed by the ferry loading cars and people onboard.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEi7UKU0e_tUQjEa68_J3a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226982

A view of the Fairmont Empress Hotel.  Huge!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKa9e8jtyxVrJgMRi2zSdkQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233746

The most gorgeous lilies I've ever seen.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8ksrdqujrYd6J0r7xmgaZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226995

A totem pole with the Parliament behind it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJoZpDrtV0odrC3em0dBpFg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227005

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLi7QDyT-XxInthXojxcuAi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227061

A different totem pole00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6Tw7wdPNdZRYXlDl-vAC8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227408

A buggy ride with a very handsome horse.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFkkFyk9WNjSqI0m3gaM1R?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227040

At first we were interested in this obelisk but then the tree caught our attention.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ8O98kzRnymrt1Gs9irnhL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227019

Very unique00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxNVhCCWgbrQaOVCwmeXa9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227033

Very old sequoia00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjOz0Y6W91-sQ5vJAlvL1l?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227035

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLw6F_RqOWLLXlqBluuBsCn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227411

statue of Capt. Cook00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVICsojuMjjVNsog08RaXCYh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227418

unique botanical statuary00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ1dj_vNbrflfJczHzhhVRT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227441

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQTqYzFWCYCzOEASfGfaCF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568234124

such a cute water taxi00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0rmC030lCJYOnkgJ-LtVb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227454

I hope I can visit Victoria again someday.  It's a beautiful spot on this globe.

Lovely photos Sandi.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's daily reports.

My hair is a lot less now especially on the crown of my head.

Both my late dad and my brother were bald in their 20s.

Deserts are nice.

Laughable quote as we shop all of the time.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for all on our care list as well as for Israel and Ukraine.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A bit of a marine layer this morning but 9 degrees cooler than yesterday and it feels a great deal less humid. Fall weather returns tomorrow & it is most welcome. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. Praying that you see at least a reduction in your pain next week. My RSV soreness turned into a dull ache yesterday afternoon & now has totally disappeared. I did use the rowing machine at the gym yesterday. The arm muscles used in rowing were not near the injection sites, so it didn’t bother me. 

Zumba, Bindi walks, chores - perhaps I will tackle the smoke detector batteries today & then a tapas type meal this evening at a friend’s. 

IMG_4087.jpeg.77a01651e0a4ec81e1df40673116fe4c.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg.de0689d81c44132d00d2bdb1d9a84ac5.jpeg

IMG_1847.jpeg.571e7e4cc7f35bc1584e9114d028ebbb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 praying for you, Tana, your families and your support teams.  @HAL Sailer Melissa, praying that DH continues to improve. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Grain D’Océan Entre-deluxe-mers Sauvignon Blanc

This is a very good - excellent white. Enjoyable on a very hot & humid day. Available from a decent number of distributors with prices starting at $14.99. 

85 Wine Enthusiast 

The wine, dominated by Sauvignon Blanc, is crisply textured. It has a herbal character that exudes green fruits and citrus. The wine is in a blue bottle and ready to drink. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich for the Saturday report, and Thank you Ann, Vanessa, Debbie, and Dixie.  3 good days but my favorite is National Desert Day.

I resemble the Letterman quote.

I'm glad Scotland again has a relationship with the UK, and remember so often using Eastman's invention. 

I have visited Victoria many times but only once on a BHB.  Lot's of catching up on things before life returns briefly back to normal.

Meatloaf is ok but I'm not a fan.  My alternative is Chilled Arjou Pear soup, Prime Rib Au Jus, and Apple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 14, 2017

dishes14.jpg

Roy

• Like 34

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for the Saturday report, and Thank you Ann, Vanessa, Debbie, and Dixie.  3 good days but my favorite is National Desert Day.

I resemble the Letterman quote.

I'm glad Scotland again has a relationship with the UK, and remember so often using Eastman's invention. 

I have visited Victoria many times but only once on a BHB.  Lot's of catching up on things before life returns briefly back to normal.

Meatloaf is ok but I'm not a fan.  My alternative is Chilled Arjou Pear soup, Prime Rib Au Jus, and Apple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 14, 2017

dishes14.jpg

Roy

Roy I am so happy that you went on your two cruises.  I hope you will enjoy many more. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Currently 64 F. but Alexa says temps will rise to 82 F. Yesterday’s RSV vaccine has caused  a sore arm but no other reactions. We have not discussed what’s on today’s agenda so just know a walk is in the daily routine. Those that are bald are having a field day of celebrations. I’m awaiting receding day.

Still waking up so back to coffee.

Thanks for the post and pics. Bruce

image.jpeg.c413a28be5faa2e207fe1f641ffa89ab.jpegimage.jpeg.b7cf218714d4df4414c7b8bb9676ecd9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e1ac5befa797467ff9ac4c2909275fe2.jpegimage.jpeg.482f59069317c56c535075cfbed84f31.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.475a0489c420786d550e3a8dbe07af84.jpegimage.jpeg.c70418e2b669f7d111dfc77e29a76186.jpegimage.jpeg.0f18a682ab099828142338182e2ee8f5.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 19

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

Have a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

• Like 21

Good morning from a clear, but still dark central Texas.  Fall is definitely here today with a temperature of 55F that feels like 52F.  The humidity is 59% with a dew point of 40F.  Our high today will be 74F and tomorrow it will be 70F.  On today's agenda is the annual property owners association meeting, which can drag on and on even with not much on the agenda.  The eclipse will peak here about 11:55 am and will be approximately 81% of a total eclipse.  If our meeting is not over by 11:30, I plan on leaving then.  I have my eclipse glasses in my purse, but should be home in time for the peak.

Again, DH will celebrate Bald and Free Day.  We both celebrate dessert day almost every day, even if it's just a bowl of ice cream.  Eggs are very versatile.

I think David Letterman was mostly correct with today's quote.

We just finished a meatloaf on Wednesday, so tonight it will more of the ribs from Thursday.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have been to Victoria many times, mostly by BHB, but a couple of times by ferry.  One ferry trip was with our motorhome.  We spent a couple of days in Victoria visiting cruise friends, and then too the motorhome up island for a few days.  The ferry fare with the motorhome was enough that it made staying longer a good idea. 

Today's victory by Robert the Bruce is an important day in Scotland's history.  George Eastman revolutionized photography and his invention was used until the dawn of digital photography.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Good morning Dailyites. 🙂 

Yesterday I drove to San Diego to see friends that were there from their stop on Celebrity Eclipse. I had check all week to see the drive time and it ranged from 1hr 38min to 1hr 52min. I had to stop by work to get eclipse glasses that I forgot to bring home (they were the extras I had from 2017) so I estimated 2hr 25min (I didn’t want to be late and I always schedule a potty break). There was a bit of Friday traffic so I got there in 2hr 40min. Not bad. 

I then took them to La Jolla to see a friend (former in-law) which only took 20 minutes to get there. Then to Seaport Village for lunch and back to the ship. 

Of course we talked too long in both in La Jolla and at lunch, and I left San Diego at 3:35pm. Estimated time to get home was 3hr 40min. Got tired/sleepy part way (it was an early day) so I stopped for a 15min power nap and Starbucks. Got home in 4hr 25min (Vegas takes me less time to drive) and immediately went to bed. I knew Fri afternoon was traffic was going to be bad but I didn’t want to cut time visiting with friends. 

I just finished reading Wednesday’s FR&D so I’ll try to catch up on Thurs, Fri, and today. 

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Take care everyone. 

Marcia, DH and I can relate to the trip from LA to San Diego taking longer than expected.  At the end of a 2015 cruise, we rented a car to get back to SD to pick up our car.  The rental car agent told DH it would take locals 1 1/2 hours, but for use about 2 hours.  It turns out, it was the first nice Saturday of spring, and it took us a lot longer.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  This morning is cloudy and 61F.  Later today the high will be around 75 with sunshine this afternoon.  Thanks Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report for Saturday, Oct. 14.

Thankfully I'm not bald but hope those who are feel free and happy about it.  I can celebrate desserts any day.  World Egg day was yesterday but I love eggs and their many uses in recipes.  The quote today is not what I expected but it can certainly be true.  I would enjoy a classic meatloaf for my dinner tonight but I doubt that's on our menu.  No thanks to the Minted Joe cocktail, and I have no idea what wine that is.  Good days in history with Robert the Bruce bringing Scotland their independence and the beginning of film by George Eastman.  I've visited Dunfermline, Scotland where the Robert the Bruce Dunfermline abbey is located.  That was a very good day of sightseeing for us.  The top of the abbey has King Robert the Bruce spelled out in stone.  Here is a photo or two explaining what I mean. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

His name and the other two sides say The Bruce.  I wish this place would be port of the day sometime!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the menu and beverage help.

Prayers this morning of course for the peoples of Israel and Ukraine.  Also my DB, Scott and Mark.  Scott is trying to get moved out of ICU to a Patient Care Unit but it is a struggle with his breathing issues.  Prayers also for our great group of people here and all our relatives and friends in need of them.  🙏  We would also like to make a toast to everyone celebrating happy events everywhere, and that our Dailyites enjoy their cruises.  We can't wait to get more reports from you all.🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the Care and Celebration lists!

The port this morning is Victoria, BC, on Vancouver Island, Canada.  It was our port only once before on Feb. 22, 2022.  That's a lot of twos!  Luckily we were able to visit there in 2019 when the cruise lines were spending a day there and not arriving at 8 pm for a few hours.  I really don't like that sort of itinerary.  It's a beautiful spot and deserves more time there so everyone can enjoy it.  Here is the link to 2-22-22 for you.

I'll post my photos of Victoria next.  Have a great weekend everyone!

Sandi, I hope Scott will improve enough to be able to move to a regular room soon.  Thanks for the pictures of  Dunfermline abbey.

372617563_7456774091016390_8251279252354201538_n.thumb.jpg.888c19a9deb3ac2d992d79d8050ea66b.jpg

373682834_24525738963691842_5090750314414239515_n.jpg.5c13a2aaf9cc44097fae46afa9adbe81.jpg

378352194_854624612697382_2644731556846440828_n.jpg.5592e797ba3ebf6de1711ae450c7262a.jpg

386728771_1749662878808333_5095222462526507738_n.thumb.jpg.fa2b6aca51aac08601fb3001dd6f1f2d.jpg

387734807_18386951182023709_4750632185261366260_n.thumb.jpg.9e43a4a95f34c030af87a9a836a4b208.jpg

387780970_10233395173767213_6465864866919903305_n.thumb.jpg.e53cfae8b17b802f7c99daa22716f902.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Haha 19

We have been to Victoria on at least four BHBs, but our 2001 call on the Ryndam was in pre-digital times.  We've also been there on the Amsterdam (2010 and 2012), the Statendam (2015) and the Zaandam (2018).

The first time in 2010, the winds were too high to safely dock at Ogden Point  These pictures are of Victoria as we sailed past that day.

Some houses along the shoreline.

P1000988.thumb.JPG.04889c469d956973ef8e0f79e7a49fa0.JPG

P1000992.thumb.JPG.610198f08068b8eada68ec4d8c45fdef.JPG

P1000989.thumb.JPG.9543b3db635c45b0cb3609bd0e4f5d55.JPG

The ferry heading back to Port Angeles, Washington.  We took this ferry to Victoria in pre-digital times.

P1000993.thumb.JPG.fa129d5c15b040d5089aba3735ee29f7.JPG

In 2010, we did b2b cruises and the second time we were able to dock.  After going out to lunch with cruise friends who live in Victoria, we asked them to drop us off at the Empress hotel.  There was a classic boat festival in the harbor.

P1010417.thumb.JPG.0459e26b78049da9632e8643c29c1e26.JPG

P1010418.thumb.JPG.f99de4e7e3307078beba03695f504b93.JPG

P1010421.thumb.JPG.c6801eaddfd2e4d4008db79832ff5b69.JPG

P1010422.thumb.JPG.3c0c3c87e437bd5e805861de7644409e.JPG

The water taxi.  In 2001 when we took our motorhome to Victoria, we took the water taxi and did the complete circle.  It was a good way to take a harbor tour.

P1010419.thumb.JPG.832318bd28e985bcd1ebaccce60353f5.JPG

In 2012, while on b2b2b cruises, on one of our calls we took the Ho-Ho.  These are some of the pictures from that tour.

P1040839.thumb.JPG.16eedb32110d1a01cafe72d209ca985a.JPGP1040841.thumb.JPG.1df28f32982fde61afaef41aaa0d900e.JPG

P1040842.thumb.JPG.75241edd7566a31f1e565148b43e4c46.JPG

I'm not sure I would feel safe in these small "bikes" on the busy streets.

P1040846.thumb.JPG.1bcd6281e11b57e4e479b500305d61e0.JPG

A couple of pictures from the garden's at the Empress Hotel.

P1040833.thumb.JPG.18320b0de79447b769ddbaacd52461f3.JPG

P1010428.thumb.JPG.59ba408bed7963022a81452ba6eec2cb.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Now it's time for my final round of pictures.  There weren't any that were different in my 2015 pictures, and only a few from 2018.  The dragon boat races were being held that day, and there was a festival with performances by children from different cultures.

DSC04103.thumb.JPG.5307cca9a6f5f847b79a2cc0ff4af1c0.JPG

DSC04104.thumb.JPG.925ccef934f32b39b2d4cf42da55e59d.JPG

From the festival, we walked over to Chinatown and explored it a little.

DSC04105.thumb.JPG.607a4e4c1240d2f11fcaf558e08428c2.JPG

We found this monument on our walk.

DSC04107.thumb.JPG.5212720be0d9a85632617803670f13e0.JPG

We decided to walk down Fan Tan Alley, which was very narrow and filled with little shops.

DSC04109.thumb.JPG.66e5237c209f4fc87c730f9cd2e73562.JPG

DSC04108.thumb.JPG.13b2f80bbf6ef68e0fa45770d696c591.JPG

We then headed to the harbor and the dragon boat races.  On the way, we passed this statue of a soldier returning home.

DSC04121.thumb.JPG.920b9c1596b1154d2cffc4bacfd10d6e.JPG

The dragon boat races.

DSC04122.thumb.JPG.cc3e5352701517dc7580aec171c95409.JPG

DSC04123.thumb.JPG.54b74733a5ce4dde0a57f6098e6bfb97.JPG

DSC04124.thumb.JPG.d6ce9df45bf2b6ce9e8e1886a329e314.JPG

One thing I really like when visiting our neighbors to the north is all the flowers.

DSC04130.thumb.JPG.b060d4be7ef23a74d643b585309da466.JPG

We also passed a building that was be completely demolished with the exception of three of the outer walls.  I wonder if they ever got it finished.

DSC03876.thumb.JPG.29f26f7f6f3f9acecfdb1faeafc34ce8.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone.    Thanks for the daily and fleet reports each day @richwmn.   I recall the bald day too, nobody bald in my family.   I'd love to have some sugar free egg custard for dessert, they make a good one on BHBs.    I think Amazon has made the last minute shoppers life a lot easier.    I love meatloaf and look forward to the recipes.   When I lived in Maryland I would love Wegman's take and bake meatloaf, I haven't found a good substitute.  Pass on the minty cocktail but the Entre du Mers SB looks like a winner.  Thanks for the photos of Victoria Sandi and Lenda.   We spent a couple of days there prior to our first Alaska cruise.   Our chance to walk the city was complicated by my DS having to rent a car and return to the US to SEATAC to get her correct suitcase.   What a mess and she said the line at the border was terrible.   It was a beautiful day and I walked around the city proper, nothing picture worth and sadly never made it to Victoria.   From now on we will book out of Seattle.  The airfare differential was massive.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports @JazzyV.  I hope that you are getting some relief from your pain.  I am happy to read that Tana's aide is working out.   Prayers for the people of Israel and the people of Ukraine.  My heart aches for all the horror caused in these war zones.    Prayers for Baby Murphy and her family.  

I had planned on making a quick run to the store but it is absolutely miserable.    Windy and rainy.   Our experiment worked to get the touch panel on the double oven going.   I don't know for how long.  To complicate things we just can't buy any double oven.   It has an interior depth slightly more than 24", most are more like 29".   This house was built to have ADA hallways so I guess the choice for the shallow depth oven.    There are few alternatives unless they are very expensive.    John wants to get the cheap one ($2600  OUCH) and make it fit by fitting wood around it.  I am not going to allow that and will search for some kind of shallower depth one.    A good project for a rainy day.   Have a nice Saturday.   Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I recall a recent nod to baldness, but have room to give them another day. I'm a fan of eggs and dessert.

Letterman - funny guy.

LOVE a good meatloaf, maybe try the drink, def the wine, have been to Victoria several times for our obligatory foreign port stop on AK cruises. We enjoy dinner, drinks and music at Irish Times Pub when we go. In May, we did not go into town - it was very windy, cold and raining. I don't have any pictures, but it is a pretty place.

Currently a nippy 54° headed to sunny 73°, forecast shows 86° on Fri, so we're not in fall temps yet.

Trying to finalize all our tours and realize in my foggy state I made 2 major mistakes - bought tickets to Malaga when we had decided to HOHO & see some Picasso and booked Pompeii & Amalfi coast after DH said he did not want to spend that much time on a bus. Crud!! While I can cancel and get a refund for the tours, the entry tickets themselves are non-refundable and I hate to just throw that $$ away. Plus, that will those groups 2 people short, which I do not want to do. Double crud!!

Shuttle co confirmed the final leg of our Rome transfers, so we're all set on that trip. My friend on the 2nd trip is really wanting to "travel like locals" and use the train even though it involves my bum shoulder schlepping luggage through the streets of Rome...

Laundromat, grocery and liquor stores and car inspection plus PT will fill the day.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

Screenshot_20231014-074900_Weather.jpg

• Like 22

Good morning from a rainy day and fifty degrees here. It may even get up to 58. I have not been to the port but it looks like such a beautiful place to visit. Thanks to Sandi and Lenda for the pictures.

My DD DH really liked meatloaf. I tried many recipes before I found the tastiest about ten years ago. No one else shares his enthusiasm for it here so I haven’t made it recently. Dinner tonight will be a sausage,chicken and potato dish the football playing teenager especially requested. The vegetarians have chili and everyone has garlic bread.

Enjoy viewing the eclipse safely today. We will not be seeing anything here .

• Like 26