The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 21st, 2023

richwmn

Today is Babbling Day, Count Your Buttons Day, and International Nacho Day

All theory, dear friend, is gray, but the golden tree of life springs ever green. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Turkey Orzo Soup
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Margarita
Wine of the Day - King Estate
Destination of the Day - Surabaya, Java Indonesia

Today in History:
1854 Florence Nightingale with a staff of 38 nurses is sent to the Crimean War

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 0800-1800

Koningsdam

Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii Overnight

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 0700-2359

Nieuw Statendam

Istanbul, Turkey 0700[+1]1600

Noordam

At Sea Destination Papeete eta 10/23

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey 1600[+1]1500

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 0700-1500

Zaandam

Callao (Lima), Peru Overnight

Zuiderdam

Casablanca, Morocco 0700-2100

Eastern Hemisphere

Volendam

Pago Pago, American Samoa 0800-1700

Westerdam

Sakaiminato, Japan 0900-1800

1021World.thumb.png.362ce9b5c566fea33314ee42d6645b12.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Thank you Rich for supplying today's adventures.

Thank you Ann, Debbie and Dixie for our food and drink information.

Thank you Vanessa for our detailed lists.

Thank you Lenda and Sandi in particular for supplying wonderful port photos.

We have not been to today's port so photos eagerly anticipated 

3 interesting days and quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone they will help.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Take care and stay safe.

Screenshot_20231021_113855.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A bit of rain overnight, we may have some more showers later.  A good day to stay in and watch football.

I sometimes babble, I don't want to count buttons, but nachos sound terrific.

I like the quote.

The meal and drink sound good, hope the wine is too.

I've never been to today's port.

Florence Nightingale was great.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 26

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I hope to run some errands before the rain starts.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to recipes and pictures.  Yesterday I finally selected a new laptop and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.37a136f73ab5b9fcde243570f53868c1.png

• Like 18
  • Haha 12

Strawberry Margarita cocktial:

Ingredients
2 ounces blanco tequila
1/2 ounce triple sec
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce agave nectar
Garnish: 1 whole fresh strawberry
Steps
Add the tequila, triple sec, strawberries, lime juice and agave nectar into a blender with a cup of ice and blend until a smooth, slushy texture is achieved.
Pour into a Margarita or cocktail glass.
Garnish with a fresh strawberry.

Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 6.48.22 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  This morning it is 47F with a high of 74 and sunshine all day expected. Today is Sweetest Day and my late Mother's birthday.  A good day for memories of her.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  I hope I'm not babbling today, am not interested in counting buttons, but wouldn't mind some nachos!  All I can say to the quote is okay...  I'm sure the creamy turkey orzo soup is a good choice on a cool fall day.  The strawberry margarita sounds good but no idea about the wine. Hurray for Florence Nightingale and all she did with her staff in 1854.  Thanks to the ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports each day.

Prayers were said early today for all on the Care list, the people of Israel and Ukraine, my DB and Susan's DH Scott and DB Mark.  Susan tells me Scott still can only whisper and he told her the other day "get me out of here".  I don't blame him.  However to go to rehab he will have to do 3 hours of physical therapy per day.  At the moment he can't stand without two adults holding him up.  Sitting in a chair for an hour comes first. 🙏  Cheers for the Celebration list. 🥂  Hoping Debbie @dfish and Sue have a great time today at their niece's wedding.  Happy Birthday to Katherine @Lady Hudsonand her twin on their cruise.  To all others cruising, please enjoy and relax.  Annie @marshhawk should be enjoying Mykonos today with Chuck.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for those lists!

The port of the day is Surabaya, Java Indonesia.  I have not been to that port so no photos from me today Graham @grapau27 !  The port of Surabaya was listed once before on March 23, 2021 but that is too far in the past for me to locate on Rich's past activity.  The first Daily listed there was May 3, 2021. Each day more posts drop off.  If anyone else knows a way to access posts that far back, please feel free to do so.  I've never been able to do a search on CC and find a particular post from way back.  

Hoping everyone has a great Saturday!  Stay safe and well!

• Like 28

Good morning! Up early for no particular reason. Currently 62F and will rise to 80F. There is no more getting around it. It’s packing day. Babbling day will probably set off @RedneckBob on a babbling rant!

Turkey recipes are for our Canadian members who still are wondering what to do with their frozen Turkey leftovers. 

Our new lawn service is supposed to show today so hopefully the yard and shrubbery will get a makeover. Previous service had become really shoddy.

My mind is not in a babbling state yet. More coffee please.

Thanks for the reports and have a great weekend. Prayer for our deteriorating world.

Bruce

image.jpeg.166d4fa2006cb9c606876d577036fbd1.jpegimage.jpeg.777f3e7869d032728463e24b4596b6ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8595ff48e8e99fd4accb7857620d2d31.jpegimage.jpeg.900fcd79a810f220b60f09df5f244cb2.jpegimage.jpeg.28c47f3e15889537a40e5ee81b68fe53.jpegimage.jpeg.99a9adfb5a5ea8789adec2e17cd7dfcc.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 22

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator, CPAP trials

57redbird’s DH Mike post external nerve ablation for afib 10/18

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized, ? at rehab

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

Cruzin Terri having challenging days

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

NextOne post valve replacement surgery 10/17

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

RMLincoln’s big move to a new community

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to Lady Hudson and her twin!

Ger_77 enjoying the family time in Calgary

Dfish heading to a wedding this weekend

Cruising-along’s friend Rhonda w/kidney stones, new DM, discharged home

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL discharged to rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest Oct 24 to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami)

6 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica Oct 27 to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau)

7 days for Seagarsmoker (Eurodam Oct 28 to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer)

Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal), Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to Oct 28, Canada & NE), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I try not to observe any of today's "days" but perhaps today should be National Nurses Day.  Nieuw Amsterdam getting some timely repairs but not so timely for those whose first port may be Fort Lauderdale. 

Not sure I understand the Goethe quote but I like it anyway.  I was in Surabaya in 2014 on the Crystal Serenity. 

I will probably pass on the soup.  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup, Japanese Chicken Yakitori, and Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 21, 2017:

dishes21.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Up early for no particular reason. Currently 62F and will rise to 80F. There is no more getting around it. It’s packing day. Babbling day will probably set off @RedneckBob on a babbling rant!

Turkey recipes are for our Canadian members who still are wondering what to do with their frozen Turkey leftovers. 

Our new lawn service is supposed to show today so hopefully the yard and shrubbery will get a makeover. Previous service had become really shoddy.

My mind is not in a babbling state yet. More coffee please.

Thanks for the reports and have a great weekend. Prayer for our deteriorating world.

Bruce

image.jpeg.166d4fa2006cb9c606876d577036fbd1.jpegimage.jpeg.777f3e7869d032728463e24b4596b6ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8595ff48e8e99fd4accb7857620d2d31.jpegimage.jpeg.900fcd79a810f220b60f09df5f244cb2.jpegimage.jpeg.28c47f3e15889537a40e5ee81b68fe53.jpegimage.jpeg.99a9adfb5a5ea8789adec2e17cd7dfcc.jpeg

Sorry Chief but today is my babbling day off!

Just kidding of course. As far as that Redneck double wide igloo, you must also cut a hole in the ice next to the igloo so it will protect you from polar bears. How is this done? Once the polar bear approaches, you kick it in the ice hole! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 16

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s update, recipes and lists. I love listening to babies babbling, if you listen closely they are actually talking and what they’re saying is important to them.  I saw that on a documentary about babies. Nachos is a great idea for dinner tonight.  Don’t think that I’ll be counting buttons, I have to have roadside assistance come and jump and possibly replace the SUV battery,  seems it didn’t like sitting around for five weeks!  The meal suggestion sounds tasty but I’ll pass on the drink.  Prayers for those on our prayer list, I hope things improve soon.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today. 🍾🥂

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning. It was already 66 when Bindi & I headed out earlier. Much more seasonal. Mini Bike a week started Thursday, so travel time is extended a great deal. There have already been some horrific accidents. We may not have many hills, but many of our roads curve around marshes and waterways. Lots of blind curves. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists. And do not hesitate to put yourself on the list. Praying the epidural relieves your pain. 

Zumba, Bindi walks, gardening, some indoor chores then wine at a neighbor’s. Sitting out on our decks in the evening is magical - especially when the deer visit. 

IMG_1874.jpeg.843ff5311cc3f5f4e323166eba9a8c46.jpeg

IMG_1865.jpeg.f719c1a382734edf6cd6938c21f0be04.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg.17bc5b24d0243e6e407b61adf9b2071a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & your support teams. 
@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying DH is doing better. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

King Estate 2021 Willamette Valley Pinot Gris

Rich left today’s wine choice up to me, so having had mostly red wines recently, I chose a white King Estate wine. I have enjoyed many wines from King Estate - including this one. Red wine lovers - their Pinot Noir is just lovely!

Many consumer fans and several critics all give it excellent reviews. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $16.99.

Vintner’s notes

Classic hallmarks of Pinot Gris appear on the nose with aromas of ripe pear, lime zest, peach, honeysuckle and lemon blossom. The wine starts off nice and round on the palate with ripe fruit flavors of Asian pear, key lime and nectarine accompanied by jasmine and damp slate. The entrance is followed by bright acidity that carries through to a fresh, balanced and lingering finish.

Vineyard Notes

Early in our 30-year history, King Estate established a reputation for Willamette Valley Pinot Gris that continues to this day. The Willamette Valley – and our cool climate, high elevation site in particular – is ideally suited for growing Pinot Gris grapes. Made with the finest fruit from our own estate and our like-minded vineyard partners, this wine reflects a commitment to sustainable farming practices in each bottle.

Winemaker Notes

The wine is fermented in 100% stainless steel temperature controlled tanks to preserve varietal character and aromatic complexity. Aged sur lie in stainless steel for four months.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 5

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

Have a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

• Like 22

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The port of the day is Surabaya, Java Indonesia.  I have not been to that port so no photos from me today Graham @grapau27 !  The port of Surabaya was listed once before on March 23, 2021 but that is too far in the past for me to locate on Rich's past activity.  The first Daily listed there was May 3, 2021. Each day more posts drop off.  If anyone else knows a way to access posts that far back, please feel free to do so.  I've never been able to do a search on CC and find a particular post from way back.  

One thing about the Daily is that posts stop quickly.  I'm not sure if this works with other browsers but in Firefox a real url shows up and at the HAL main page if you start by clicking page 6, you can then adjust the url to show something like /page=506/ and see where the posts are, then zero in on the post date.  At the moment the Surabaya thread is on page 418

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

What I posted from Surabaya in 2021:

I "sort of" visited Surabaya off the Crystal Symphony March 2, 2014(Enroute to Singapore and Crystal Symphony to Cape Town and finally Amsterdam to Florida).  "Sort of" because I had a bad night with serious vomiting the night before.  The medical center declared me non-contagious and I did at least venture into the cruise terminal.  I believe a more modern one was under construction but this was a warehouse with some nice vendor stalls and free wifi:

terminal.jpg

It was foggy but I could see a statue through the fog:

statue.jpg

Fortunately, the malady faded quickly and I had steak that evening.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

One thing about the Daily is that posts stop quickly.  I'm not sure if this works with other browsers but in Firefox a real url shows up and at the HAL main page if you start by clicking page 6, you can then adjust the url to show something like /page=506/ and see where the posts are, then zero in on the post date.  At the moment the Surabaya thread is on page 418

Roy

Roy, thanks for pointing out how to get further back on the HAL main page.  That's what I do to look for old posts on Rich's posting activity.  Takes time but it's doable.  Hope it helps others to retrieve photos if they have any shown there on that link.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm not sure if this works with other browsers but in Firefox a real url shows up and at the HAL main page if you start by clicking page 6, you can then adjust the url to show something like /page=506/ and see where the posts are, then zero in on the post date. 

If @StLouisCruisers posts the date for a port, here's another way.

Above the first thread, I can see this:

image.png.9de38a0fdc33f41540e171a100baf7c5.png

I can then click on the drop-down arrow next to "Page 1 of xxxx" which brings up this window

image.png.fce9f2170b60b3169d1ee9594b41072e.png

By guessing a page number, you can see the date. Then you can bring up earlier/later pages until you find the needed date.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 12

Good morning. The rain continues here and will be accompanied by gusty winds this afternoon.Colder weather will follow. The oil spill from the leaking oil tank will be taken care of next week. We hope the whole driveway does not have to be dug up. We are fortunate that we have had a working replacement tank with the weather changes.

The days are odd and I have not been to Indonesia. I will need more coffee before I can even think about the quote. 
Today I am tackling the closet I most dreaded. It is very deep as this is an old house. I have many pairs of Dansko clogs that I used to wear exclusively until my feet and spinal alignment changed  prior to my hip replacement. I loved these shoes and I laugh to myself that I have kept them and can’t wear them…I do know someone wearing size 38 will be happy with those in good shape.  There are things in this closet that will probably be a big surprise. It is a good activity for a rainy day.

Take care out there.

• Like 25

Good morning, everyone!

It is kind of a gloomy start to the day here in Kewadin, Michigan.  But no fear, we will all be in a festive mood this afternoon for DN Emily's wedding.  

Turkey orzo soup sounds like a lovely meal on a day like today.  We'll need something to warm us up.  I'd take nachos, too!   Here's our first recipe  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/creamy-turkey-orzo-soup/

creamyturkeyorzosoup1.thumb.jpg.b014ec9a888caa68a838330366c5dae4.jpg

This next one has slightly different seasonings.  https://theoregondietitian.com/one-pot-creamy-turkey-orzo-soup/creamyturkeyorzosoup2.thumb.jpg.b2ac99e0c08e623b30f274af1a18aca9.jpg

This one skips the cream and calories and is a broth based soup.  https://cookingformysoul.com/turkey-orzo-soup/

creamyturkeyorzosoup3.thumb.jpg.bf7ba1cabd6702f6c0b1396f272130cd.jpg

I hope this finds all of you well.  Wishing you a great day!

@Lady Hudson

HappyBirthday2.jpg.c2ce4f6294f0eb226a1c8bb94d030c9f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 10