Need Help with Cruise out of Cape Liberty

jenrand

I need to hear from all of you who have been on a cruise out of Cape Liberty.  We are scheduled on the Symphony of the Seas next May. My daughter is currently on the Disney Wonder sailing to Bermuda and spent the whole first day at sea sick from the 12 foot swells.  We are cruising to Labadee, Coco Cay and Port Canavral.  Is this always rough seas going out of this port.  We just returned from a cruise out of Port Canavral and did Bahamas and had a very smooth cruise.  I know the symphony is a lot bigger than the ship my daughter is on but I am panicking thinking we will all be sea sick.  Does time of year make a difference as well.  From what they are telling her on the ship it is always rough.   Is Bermuda different from Bahamas and Caribbean?  

Thank you all so much.

We have sailed many times out of Cape Liberty, including the itinerary you are on. We almost never have rough seas. 

We do take one Bonine (over-the-counter) daily, simply just in case. That has always helped us if there are any swells / movement. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

Cape Liberty in the Fall/Winter is going to be unpredictable . Fall weather in the NE is going to be windier as it is , then throw hurricanes and tropical storms into the mix. They will be harder to get around when sailing S from NJ , hence why occasionally they actually reroute to a NE/Canada itinerary.We actually returned to NJ in hurricane force winds in 2018 . We were 12 hrs delayed getting to the port as they deemed it too windy to dock .In May you are no more likely to run into issues sailing out of NJ as you would be sailing out of Florida .

JMHO

Cheers

41 minutes ago, jenrand said:

I need to hear from all of you who have been on a cruise out of Cape Liberty.  We are scheduled on the Symphony of the Seas next May. My daughter is currently on the Disney Wonder sailing to Bermuda and spent the whole first day at sea sick from the 12 foot swells.  We are cruising to Labadee, Coco Cay and Port Canavral.  Is this always rough seas going out of this port.  We just returned from a cruise out of Port Canavral and did Bahamas and had a very smooth cruise.  I know the symphony is a lot bigger than the ship my daughter is on but I am panicking thinking we will all be sea sick.  Does time of year make a difference as well.  From what they are telling her on the ship it is always rough.   Is Bermuda different from Bahamas and Caribbean?  

Thank you all so much.

We’ve sailed many times out of Cape Liberty.  Reality is sometimes you get rough seas especially off Cape Hatteras.  Time of year also plays apart with Hurricane season.  However, the Oasis class ships are the most stable. And, the month of May will hopefully be good weather for you.  Your daughter, if she’s had a bad experience, may want to try scopolamine patches.  Costco are usually very reasonable for them. 

On Oasis currently from Bayonne heading to Port Canaveral. Right now about 65 degrees, sunny and smooth sailing. We go out of NJ a lot, have never had an issue. But we also like a bit of motion, better sleeping!

May you should be fine, as others suggested, take the Bonine. 

1 hour ago, jenrand said:

Thank you all so much.

You can’t predict when there’s going to be a storm that might affect you. We are on a ship now too and had some rough seas overnight and the outside deck on deck five is closed due to weather. Just really windy with spray making it slippery. Upper deck still open. 

We have encountered really rough seas sailing from Cape Liberty in September when there was the remnants of a tropical storm coming up the coast. We have sailed many other months and had no issues. We have sailed Oasis in May and June the last two years with no issues other than really packed with kids and large family groups. 

No one can predict what will happen. Just come prepared with sea sickness medicine if you are prone to problems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jenrand said:

Thank you all so much.

Off Oasis last Sunday and coming up to Bayonne we had swells from 8-10 feet and the ship did not move.  The only indication of movement is the water in the pool swirling and if one looks over the horizon.

Seas to Bermuda can be rough at times.  We have sailed to the Bahamas and Caribbean many times from Bayonne, and the seas have tended to be smooth.  I say this as an individual who is seriously prone to seasickness--and because of this I ALWAYS use/bring seasick meds:  scopolamine patch works great for me, but if over the counter oral meds like Bonine (it is the same as Meclizine) work for you, be sure to be prepared.

Have a great cruise!

Teddie

• Like 1

We sail to Bahamas, Caribbeans and Bermuda all the time from NJ.

You cannot predict the weather, but I would not say that one direction is more stormy that another. Storms are rare, but waves do happen from time to time..

Edited by Tatka

There are too many variables to make a judgement from other people's experiences. I've sailed out of Bayonne into hurricane remnants and been fine. I love a rocking sea and never get seasick. The stabilizers are amazing anyway. Barely any movement to me. I'm quite sure your daughter would perceive the same situation differently though. I would focus more on strategies to minimize seasickness. 

7 hours ago, jenrand said:

Thank you all so much.

Get everyone prescription patches and wear them. 

We were in Bermuda last week. The first day of our port call was cancelled due to a tropical storm. On the way back to NY, we had 25 ft seas with hurricane force winds over the deck (which closed all outdoor space). The ship was rocking and rolling. Didn't bother us, but there were more than a few that were sea sick. 

8 minutes ago, teddie said:

See this map for reference.

Caribbean-map.jpg

Love this map!!  So many times there is more information than I want, or it just focuses on the eastern OR western Caribbean.  I love that it's focused on cruise ports rather than just general geography.  I'll be copying and saving, thanks.

• Like 1

We sailed on Oasis out of Cape Liberty in June. There were seven of us and there was only one person that was seasick on a couple of nights (MDR seemed the worst for her). She is very prone to car sickness and sea sickness. I don't think anyone was bothered.