what's the point of picking your dining time...

37 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

New to Royal (actually, cruised once with them back in 1992) and I'm confused as to why MTD reservations are done BEFORE you get in the ship.  I discovered it just last week but then found dining was only available from 7:30pm or later.

I believe MTD starts at 6:45 (can't remember where I saw it). The logic behind that seems simple enough. Give enough time for the early diners rush to pass and before the late diners come in. I like eating early when at home, but when on vacation, I enjoy having supper around 7, then going to a show. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I have found this on the internet:

Pre-paid gratuities are required to participate in My Time Dining. Those tips are then shared among all My Time Dining waiters. You are welcome to offer additional tips to specific waiters.”

Do you have a US booking?  I think it is at least UK bookings that still require prepaid gratuities for MTD.

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

We simply get used to it.   After all..it's 5:00 somewhere.  😉   All I have to do is pretend we are on a different time zone...which happens a lot in our travels.  

Plus, the time you sit down and the time you get your first course, could vary greatly…LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

But for the ultimate dining, you have to make reservations once you are on board. It seems unnecessary stress also. Why not be able to do the reservations online after you buy the package?

Because you elected to pay a cheaper price by buying the package. If you pay full price you can pick your time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

It is not mandatory to make reservations for MTD. My daughter had MTD on the Wonder and never made reservations. Her and my Granddaughter never waited more than 10 mins. to be seated. She said larger parties, with no res waited longer, but so did those with reservations.

The lines for mtd on the Oasis went on and on and you couldn’t figure out where the end of the line was because there were so many people. Even if not required it still doesn’t start until 6:45 pm. It’s a flawed system.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I have not bought the package and I do not understand your answer.

The package is offered at a discount because it gives RCI flexibility to give you whatever times are left over on board AFTER folks paying full price pick times. If you want the certainty of a specific time, you need to pay full price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, island lady said:

We simply skip the happy tisers in the lounges.   Was tough to get used to it as well, but found it made it easier to make the early shows, when we finished dinner earlier. 

When we ate later, all I wanted was to go to bed after dinner.  Age catching up to me.  😄 

Obviously does not work for everyone...but it's what works for us now.  🙂 

This is my thinking as well. Everything is shifted earlier. It's nice to be able to finish dinner then see the early show and then still have much of the evening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The package is offered at a discount because it gives RCI flexibility to give you whatever times are left over on board AFTER folks paying full price pick times. If you want the certainty of a specific time, you need to pay full price.

One pays full price on board.  All pre-bookings of dining venues are discounted.

11 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Even if not required it still doesn’t start until 6:45 pm.

Not necessarily…I’m sure this varies by ship, but recently word has gotten out that if you show up at 6ish, and there are open tables from no show Traditional, they will seat MTD. Recently on the Jewel, this was the case with my friends.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Not necessarily…I’m sure this varies by ship, but recently word has gotten out that if you show up at 6ish, and there are open tables from no show Traditional, they will seat MTD. Recently on the Jewel, this was the case with my friends.

Even earlier than that on Serenade last week.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

How likely is it to get a table for two people only, not sharing with others at dinner time?. Either on fix dining or in MTD. Are quite a few number of tables for two?

Plenty of tables for 2 on Oasis, Anthem & Allure.  If need, you may also contact rcldining@rccl.com with any special request about 2-3 weeks prior to sail.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of dining, maybe someone can help me.  The last few times that I've sailed out of Bayonne, I/we have been assigned 12-12:30 pm check in times.  It's a little early to be concerned, but I have reserved lunch for 8 at Jamie's for 12pm on our Easter '24 Anthem sail--Is there a specific department at Royal that I can e-mail and or contact.

In the past, when I've contacted CS or C&A to see whether my check-in time can be changed to an earlier time, they tell me that it is assigned randomly via computer.

I don't want to waste my time calling GS or the C&A desk.😄

Edited by nelblu

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We simply skip the happy tisers in the lounges.   Was tough to get used to it as well, but found it made it easier to make the early shows, when we finished dinner earlier. 

When we ate later, all I wanted was to go to bed after dinner.  Age catching up to me.  😄 

Obviously does not work for everyone...but it's what works for us now.  🙂 

I'm happy it works for you, I really am. However for us it's been a noticeable and significant negative change. 

We've sailed 22 days with the new system and the very early, early traditionally dinner time is just too early... and like I mentioned with the Quantum all the lunch venues didn't open until 12pm so by the time you got done with lunch within a few hours you are getting ready to go to dinner.  1) It severely cramps afternoon activities  2)  We weren't hungry for dinner yet. 3)  It cramps port days too, having to make it back to the ship for early dinner.

We used to do MTD and prebook the same time each night like 6pm or so.  Worked great, no wait.  If we  liked the table and servers the first night, we just requested them for the rest of the cruise.  Always had the same table.

Now you get the luck of the draw, and get to stand in a HUGE line.  We are typically a table of 7-10 so having a reservation or fixed table is pretty important unless we want to WAIT.

We have never eaten snacks in the afternoon, just lunch and dinner.  We prefer the late shows since we are still plenty able to stay up until midnight or beyond.  The late show doesn't cramp our style. I get why folks would like the early show though.  It frees up the rest of the evening which is nice too.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

How likely is it to get a table for two people only, not sharing with others at dinner time?. Either on fix dining or in MTD. Are quite a few number of tables for two?

No problem, but keep in mind a table for 2 may actually be a table for four for your sole use, or it may be a table for two people inches from more tables for two people either side in a row.

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

I have not bought the package and I do not understand your answer.

I see this has been answered - IF you bought the package this is why you cannot reserve a time in advance.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

To which line?  

Celebrity - Aqua class (dining in Blu) and MSC - Yacht Club only.  Those are our top 2 for now.  (Yes, I understand RC & X have the same ultimate corp. masters and feed the same stock).

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

But for the ultimate dining, you have to make reservations once you are on board. It seems unnecessary stress also. Why not be able to do the reservations online after you buy the package?

I don't have a problem waiting until I'm on board.  If the times we want aren't available, we will simply cancel it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

One of two things would happen.  1) People change their minds once they board and see menu and show schedules and want to change their reservations. Or 2) People forget they even booked a given night and no-show.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We just got off Serenade and had early seating.  We initially had booked MTD but changed to main dining after hearing all the issues with MTD.  When we booked, early seating was at 5:30, when we boarded, sea pass card said it was at 5:15.  When we went to dinner the first night, there was a huge line into the elevator lobby but with some people bypassing the line and going into the dining room.  Having already checked out our table, we decided to bypass the line, which was the right choice as we found out the majority of it was MTD people.  Dining room was already half full and it wasn't even 5:15.  Waiter told us to come closer to 5 as that works better.  

Starting around 5:30, other diners started to be seated at the empty tables as they filled in the dining room with MTD people from the line.  As the week progressed, they MTD crowd came in earlier and earlier.  People were getting beepers and were hanging out in the Centrum until a table was ready for them.  We never saw the huge line after the first night but when we came out of dinner around 6, there were always people sitting in the Centrum with beepers, waiting for tables in the MDR.  We were talking to one couple and their beeper went off.  She commented how quick it was and that they hadn't waited long all week.  

We prefer MTD as we always made a 6pm reservation when we ate in the MDR,  Not sure I like the beeper option that Serenade was doing but it was working for people who wanted earlier tables.

It may be easier for the waiter for whatever reason , but if dining is listed for 5:15 , you have until 5:30 at the very minimum to arrive. That is not for the waiter to determine , but for you .

Cheers

10 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

It may be easier for the waiter for whatever reason , but if dining is listed for 5:15 , you have until 5:30 at the very minimum to arrive. That is not for the waiter to determine , but for you .

Cheers

We are not new cruisers and know how things work.  We also know if everyone in our waiter's section arrives early and we arrive late, we will wait a long time to order while the waiter and assistant waiter get and deliver their first course.  Coming a few minutes earlier was not a big deal.  Communicating the change in dining time should have been communicated prior to us boarding though.