Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

Just now, Mark_UK said:

This is why I'm dumping Royal and sailing Virgin Voyages. Just can't deal with the CONSTANT money grabbing. I sailed Celebrity last week, paid a very high price for a relaxing massage, only to end it with an intense and stressful sales pitch for some $60 shower gel whilst trapped in a treatment room with the staff member preventing me from leaving. It's starting to feel like a bazaar onboard with random people constantly trying to sell you things, even on the tannoy. Gone are the days of a relaxing vacation.

I agree with you. I was just on a TA and now the head waiters are tip surfing. I was sick and tired having a spiel over the intercom every night saying how good the food and service was and constantly interrupting what should have been a nice relaxing evening with fellow cruisers. Oh and also pushing specialty restaurants which have conveniently taken the favourite meals.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Except they aren't forcing anyone to pay anything.  Anyone on a cruise can go to guest services and stop their auto-gratuities, as many in this thread have said they'll do.  

A company so unethical and improper and unfair that they give the consumer a choice whether or not to pay?  Interesting.

Please show me anything that is communicated from RCI that states gratuities are "optional". 

Edited by iscruisingdunzo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

Please show me anything that is communicated from RCI that states gratuities are "optional". 

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuity will not see a daily charge during their cruise."

8 minutes ago, little britain said:

@Mark_UK  I just booked our first VV yesterday. I got an extra discount on proof of my pinnacle RCI tier, and it also got me more obc.  No tipping, no surcharge for their restaurants. It’s an interesting business model. 

Have sailed them a few times now and loved it. They have upcharge activities but for genuine value (e.g. free drinks) rather than paying for a level of service you'd expect for the fare you've already paid. The onboard restaurants are all fantastic and no upcharge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

All those that opted out before will continue to do so, plus more will do it now; Royal isn't accomplishing what they think they are.

Was on 16n Radiance PC Cruise 3 weeks ago. While sitting near front on night one there was a Royal Worker working the line and heard over 2 Dozen Cabins removing Tips just in that 20min. She just added the names to an already long list

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RoyalC said:

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuity will not see a daily charge during their cruise."

Lol. Nice try. Nowhere do they state on that page that gratuities are optional. They state that the gratuities are "automatic" and can be "modified", but they do not state they are optional at any point before, during, or after the booking process. Just another point to prove where they lie on the ethical meter. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

Please cite a reference and prove me otherwise. 

I think it is a big increase, not $.50 , not $1.00, but $2.00 per day per person for a regular stateroom. I don't think, but I could be wrong, that prior increases were not that much for a regular stateroom in the past.  Maybe someone else remembers or has the data.

Edited by ecslady

5 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

Lol. Nice try. Nowhere do they state on that page that gratuities are optional. They state that the gratuities are "automatic" and can be "modified", but they do not state they are optional at any point before, during, or after the booking process. Just another point to prove where they lie on the ethical meter. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

Please cite a reference and prove me otherwise. 

When you book there are terms you can look up just like I looked this up. The original post you quoted did not use the word optional- you did. So yes this info is available. When you book you are not required to prepay tips. You also have the option to purchase insurance via the booking process- but you do not have to. The "option" to remove is the same as not paying, or paying cash in lieu of the set amount charged to your credit card account. 

5 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Very good observation. I'll be watching.

You missed the answer? Ourusualbeach posted as I said above nov 15, the 7 day caribbean will be released ... what else are you watching for? Hes a TA so i trust his answer came from rcl. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

And I will be shorting the stock because it will feel so much better. Hopefully rates continue to increase too. I like stocks when they are cheap, and in the meantime I earn bank interest for once.

At 100 3 months ago I was short .. at $83 or $84, I wouldnt go short. You dont sound like you know stocks very well. It could go lower if the war spreads but for now I wouldnt short and throw away money. Stock sold off a lot since last summer. Over $100 stock was shouting to me to go short. Not here, its found support.  ...assuming no ww3. I'd find a better candidate to go short. Do you know how to chart. If you lose money shorting you will be just that much more upset. People need to calm down. Losing money wouldnt help. 

3 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

i disagree completely. they will continue to raise tips, and reduce service, no matter what. 

they need to give more tipping options. i leave the stateroom workers cash (10-15, per person per day), and i have ultimate dining, so I pay 18% on that when i book the cash and then leave cash tips (5-10 per person, per meal). I waive my daily gratutities because i never step foot in the main dining room where most of the money goes. i wish there was a way to leave extra for the housekeeping services that are included, but there's not. it's either tip people i never see, or waive them.

Certainly there is 

It's called cash in hand on the last day , as I prefer !

Cheers

• Like 4

I guess several of you didn't quite understand my post.  I guess I didn't wrote clearly enough.

First, I have no problem with peiople who really want to tip bar servers more than the 18% always added.  But you don't have to carry around a bunch iof singles--you can just add an extra tip to the receipt when you sign for it.

I have been cruising since the 80s.  The cruise lines often tell you it's a "cashless" system.  You don't have to carry cash or credit cards or your wallet around the ship.  Everything is on an account.

I have often seen people writing on these boards that they give their bar waiter a dollar bill for each "free" (voucher) drink because they think it will get them better service.  I donb't think you need to bribe your server--the service, usually quite good, will be the same either way.  I give my Diamond Club waiters an extra tip last night of the cruise in recognition of OVERALL great service--not in hoping that tipping every time will get me something better.

I KNOW that the cruise line accounts for the voucher drinks in the gratuity system and adds money to the pot B?ECAUSE I personally know several cruise line executives who have flat out told me this.  If voucher or Diamond Club or Celebrity Elite lounge or unlimited package drinks weren't included in the formula, no one would want to work those assignments and service would be worse, not better.  The formula is complicated, but those servers ARE taken care of and the drinks served ARE accounted for.  They won't turn down extra tips, but they are really not being stiffed whe those drinks are merekly signed for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m fairly confident that this will affect my extra gratuity that I have traditionally given to staff on the last night. I’ll likely keep the auto grats on but should I run into even the slightest service failure I’m much more likely to respond and not just roll with punches. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

Hey boss, I need a raise to pay for the all things in the world going up ridiculous amounts.  

I've never been one to advocate removing the DSC but now I'll be joining the long line at guest services. 

Wait a day or two when the lines are not so long and before bedtime. No wait lol.  

22 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I’m fairly confident that this will affect my extra gratuity that I have traditionally given to staff on the last night. I’ll likely keep the auto grats on but should I run into even the slightest service failure I’m much more likely to respond and not just roll with punches. 

My initial thoughts as well.

2 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

This is true but the service from individuals on cruiseships is very good. It deserves some form of recognition. How else other than tips would they be recognized? If they were on land they would be working an 8 hour day with two days off. They would require more employees thus higher fares

They could be recognized by earning commensurate base salaries. This especially for behind the scenes employees who do not earn tips nor count tips as part of compensation package in any other industry but this one. Record earning could equal staff/crew bonuses. Instead, record earning from record high cruise fares have RCCL reaching out to customers asking for higher gratuities as well. Meanwhile, service is reduced. Everyone can vote with their wallets. Plenty of other options out there.

• Like 2

I love how people become all high and mighty when $2 comes into play. Remember you are not removing this extra $2 but also the $16 already charged. Wonder what the percentage of people who remove them are now going to top an extra $100 for a weeks cruising.

2 hours ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

But they shouldn't even be raising anything. They are making BILLIONS!

They have cutback services. 

An ethical company that is proper and fair would provide their staff a fair wage with no increase to the customer. 

RCI is greedy, unethical, and continually try to take advantage of their staff and customers. If I worked on a ship, I would gather everyone, walk off the ship and not return until I received an appropriate wage. 

The crew is VERY happy with the wage. They are paid very well for the economy where their money is spent. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

My initial thoughts as well.

It's not really even the money... II consider myself a decent tipper. I'm just really irritated that on the heals of the previous increase they decreased to level of service they now throw another increase at us.

• Like 15