Cabin Stewards Knowledge of my Cabin Purchase

cheetosrevil

I don't see how the cabin steward would know anything about the financial booking transaction. This information is maintained at headquarters. It's possible the hotel manager has access to this information if it is something unusual, example you won a free cruise. The steward is aware of your loyalty status, if you are on b2b voyages, things like that.

In all cases cabin steward service would remain exceptional.  

10 hours ago, cheetosrevil said:

Thank you for your reply, but you didn’t directly answer the question.

Because there is almost no way that any of us would know the answer to that question. He/she gave a very good and reasonable answer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

He'll know (and/or his supervisor) whether you've pre-paid your gratuities or not but that's it as far as I know.

The steward doesn't know that, you use that as a scare tactic to intimidate people. I have reduced my gratuities on every cruise for the past 6-7 years and my service has always been exceptional. Guest services assures me they don't disseminate this information, it goes straight to corporate. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The steward doesn't know that, you use that as a scare tactic to intimidate people. I have reduced my gratuities on every cruise for the past 6-7 years and my service has always been exceptional. Guest services assures me they don't disseminate this information, it goes straight to corporate. 

19 minutes ago, Betatlake said:

Our room steward actually left his clipboard with cabin assignments in our room; on embarkation day, and prepaid gratuities were listed as stated above.

I presume that is to inform whether they can keep extra tips.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Betatlake said:

Our room steward actually left his clipboard with cabin assignments in our room; on embarkation day, and prepaid gratuities were listed as stated above.

How long ago was this?  Based on a lot of what I have read on here things may have changed over the past two years.  (Many people have said that stewards can keep your cash tips regardless of whether or not you left on crew appreciations and that it is something new over the last year or two).  If what people have said is true then the stewards would no longer need to know about prepaid gratuities.

Edited by dickinson
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Betatlake said:

This is no longer the case

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Why would you reduce gratuities ?  I am assuming you have never worked in a service industry where people get minimum wage based on an assumption of gratuities 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Why would you reduce gratuities ?  I am assuming you have never worked in a service industry where people get minimum wage based on an assumption of gratuities 

I get the same service as anyone else so why should I pay more then other cabins. It used to be we all gave the cash to our servers and it wasn't tiered amounts. Why are you comparing working in the USA service industry to other countries where crew make a fortune compared to what they would earn at home.