Tuesday November 14th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Wish they’d give it a little more time, even 24 hours would help. 

Good morning and thanks all!  
@kazu thanks for the explanation about Seneca.  
@Quartzsite Cruiser hope you’re all settled in soon in your beautiful new motor home.  

We were out looking for snow geese and were rewarded by seeing huge flocks!  The sound is surreal.  

DSC_1095.jpeg

IMG_3235.mov 12.97 MB · 6 downloads

perhaps all these are taking up too much space and a lot of threads are more personal too.

• Like 3

@HAL Sailer,Melisa,I am glad to hear that your DH is  participating in PT  and will receive an injection for the pain. I wish it could occur sooner. I am glad that he does the homework. I am retired from PT but fondly remember the patients who “did the work”. It is always tough with pain like that to make progress.

Continued prayers for both of you.

And yes, there is a lot to be grateful for but I do dream of BHB’s!

• Like 15

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Today’s port for our cruise is San Juan and we are sharing it with two other ships. Thanks to us and the other two, Nieuw Amsterdam and MSC Seascape, the daytime population will increase by over 11K!

Dinner last night was fun at Bonsai Teppanacki, the Japanese steakhouse. Meals have been enjoyable in the MDR. What I do like with Carnival is requesting a table for Breakfast or Dinner on the app instead of getting a “beeper” to notify you that your table is ready. We can request a table while still in the stateroom and by the time we reach the restaurant it is less than a short wait.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Hi friends! Today was an outstanding day. I went for my post-op exam & the PA was very happy with my progress. Now I'm allowed to drive AND drink wine!! Woohoo!

On the way home, the tire monitor came on for my back passenger side tire. Second time in 2 weeks. So I called the locally owned tire shop in town & they said to bring it right up. Half-hour later I had the car back, nail removed, tire patched, air added AND the front floor mats cleaned. All for free. They said, "That's just what we do." I told DS he's going there when he needs new tires!

All-in-all, a VERY good day!

• Like 20

51 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well actually, this particular CFA is a new store!  Well maybe 4 or 5 years old.  I remember when they tore down the OLD CFA and built this brand new store with 2 drive thru lanes which are always full of cars.  So to need a remodel already is very surprising.  It was very nice inside already.  

Have you noticed how high prices are getting at the various fast food restaurants?  Everything is way up in price.  This inflation is everywhere.😮

I have noticed quite a few nice CFAs being remodeled - they must be doing very well and have a huge cap x budget. Actually, I don't know that I've ever seen a run down CFA.

Yes, prices are crazy. 2 burger meals from Whataburger cost us $30!! That was our splurge for the month😔

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Thanks all for keeping my DH in your prayers and on the Daily rotational care list.

Today, we had a consultation with an informative, patient, thorough and, oh, so young pain management doctor who specializes in spinal issues. We were very impressed with his detailed understanding of DH's recent hospitalization and medical challenges as he had reviewed DH's extensive medical records in preparation.

After examining DH, he agreed with the neurosurgeon that spinal surgery is not a wise risk/benefit option. He does think an epidural injection could ease DH's spinal nerve inflammation, right hip-heel pain, and loss of sensation in his right foot. He feels an injection plus continued P.T. could be a very helpful combination. So, DH has agreed to an early December injection.

Otherwise, DH is showing more spirit and trying to be more independent. Walking is almost impossible, but he tries! So, we continue going twice a week to physical therapy sessions plus doing PT homework while watching his alma mater Michigan State football team lose and cheering on our Detroit Lions during their amazing season!

As Thanksgiving approaches, we have much to be thankful for – including our wonderful past BHB cruises (future???) and in the knowledge that we continue to be in the Daily-ites’ prayer and care.

May you each be equally blessed,

-Melisa

Thanks for the update, Melisa!   It sounds like things are progressing in a positive direction and that is what we have all been hoping for.  I'm glad they have a plan for your DH's pain issue.  Sorry about MSU's season, but how about the Lions!   

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Hi friends! Today was an outstanding day. I went for my post-op exam & the PA was very happy with my progress. Now I'm allowed to drive AND drink wine!! Woohoo!

On the way home, the tire monitor came on for my back passenger side tire. Second time in 2 weeks. So I called the locally owned tire shop in town & they said to bring it right up. Half-hour later I had the car back, nail removed, tire patched, air added AND the front floor mats cleaned. All for free. They said, "That's just what we do." I told DS he's going there when he needs new tires!

Wow, it sounds like a great day for sure!  So glad to hear this!

I did manage a short nap before my pedicure.  I'm tired, but doing ok.  I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight!

• Like 16

A late good afternoon or an early good evening.  It's been a busy day, but most of the things we took out of the old motorhome are now inside the new one.  I also realized I will probably be rearranging things now that I see how they fit, and what open space is available, but I expected that to some extent.  Now, I just have to go through the things in the house and get them on the motorhome, and the biggie, putting all the stuff in the outside compartments.  Not all of it will go in, and then we'll have to figure out what to do with it.  

Tomorrow will be busy, with that, plus a trip to the bank and grocery store.  I'll do that while DH is with the tech who will be installing the satellite tv equipment.  That way I'll get my errands done and be out of their way.  

There was just a bit of frustration today.  I wanted to put the sheets on the bed, and while doing so, discovered it is not the size they dealership had on their information.  It was supposed to be a king short, 72"x75".  Instead, it is either 74" or 75" x 76".  That means the sheets I ordered will be too small.  I tried to cancel the order, but they had been shipped last week from India, and won't arrive until the end of the month.  I guess they get to make the trip back to India.  While they will be a bit too big, I ordered king sheets and a mattress pad, which will arrive in Quartzsite the end of next week.

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I will salute Girls Day and Children's Day. I like some pickles. Interesting quote. The meal looks good. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I've been to NZ, but not Timaru. 3 good days in history.

Another sunny day, but with temps only up into the mid 50's. I'm sleepy, after another poor night of sleep. I just ate a few chocolate covered espresso beans to try to wake up, as I won't have my coffee until later. I haven't heard back from the Neurosurgery PA. I have PT this afternoon; I'm really only able to do some stretching. I also feel quite unstable on my feet. I will try to do laundry later, but dread the stairs down to the basement. I did just sign with someone to do final yard cleanup and who will do snow removal this winter, and then lawn mowing starting in the spring.

@kazu Sorry your arm is sore; it should improve quickly.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear that Jim's knee is less swollen. It sounds like you'll be busy up until time to leave.

@dfish Sorry to hear you didn't sleep either last night. Thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 Thank goodness you were able to get your delivery of medical equipment and meds.

@ger_77 I loved that cauliflower too! I haven't had it since childhood. Good deal on the remote starter. You have such a good heart, donating those items.

@quilty964 We had a milk box on the porch, that the milk bottles were put into.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lots of organizing for the new motorhome. I had to LOL at winter 50's and 60's. People are in shorts around here at those temps. 

@rafinmd Your meal looks good. Nice sunrise.

@luvteaching I have a pickle ornament on my tree. It is supposedly a German tradition to hide the pickle somewhere on the tree, and the child who finds it gets an extra present!

@RMLincoln I hope all is going well with the movers today.

@marshhawk I hope you're starting to feel better.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and DH.

@mamaofami Also thinking of Sam and hope he's doing ok.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, in Texas we have on jeans when it's in the 60s, but in Arizona on a sunny day in the 60s, I'll be in shorts and sandals.  I hope you hear from the neurosurgery PA soon, and that she can help with the pain.

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Afternoon Dailyites!  I fell asleep on the sofa last night at 9, and slept until 6.  Of course getting up several times, but I got to snuggle with my two red kitties, and Chuck got t o sleep with Tazi in the bed, and she did not pee on him last night.

when i was diagnosed  at the ship medical center it was pulmonary failure.  What ever was going on, crossed with my COPD, and I could not breathe on my own.  I am less congested today, but while DH and I had tickets for our favorite symphony tonight, we are staying home.  And my lung doc, cancelled my next appointment, so when Chuck goes in the see the heart doc on Friday, I will ask him to give my chest a listen too (he is my heart doc too)

We discussed Thanksgiving meal today, steak, baked potato, creamed onions, and corn bread souffle.

If i get a strong urge for turkey, i'll go to the deli, and get some, and make turkey club sandwiches.

Well, off to sit in the sun for a few minutes, it is helping!  Hugs to you all.  Thank you for the prayers. I hope that everyone is having an easier day today.

Annie, I'm glad you are doing better and that you got some sleep last night.  I'm sorry about missing the symphony, but it's best to stay safe and rest.

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Interesting morning. For two to three days I have had slightly increasing soreness in my lower left abdomen. Nothing really bad but it had been more noticeable. Thinking it could possibly a bladder infection or diverticulitis I went to  a Family Care Clinic. They tested a urine sample which was completely normal. They gave me two options. Wait a couple of days or go to ER for further testing. Knowing our upcoming cruise plans I decided to head to the ER. If something is truly wrong there are not that many days between now and cruise to treat a problem. Very efficient and pleasant ER staff ordered more lab test and a Cat Scan. All test were normal and I have been released. So will observe for a few days and hope the mild symptoms decrease and go away. So that’s my morning. While awaiting test results I took a very expensive nap on the treatment table!

A overcast cool dreary day of rain and gray skies.

image.thumb.jpeg.2eb557f9fec405379713af667355fb9c.jpeg

Bruce, I'm glad the tests were all normal, and I hope the pain goes away soon.

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Thanks all for keeping my DH in your prayers and on the Daily rotational care list.

Today, we had a consultation with an informative, patient, thorough and, oh, so young pain management doctor who specializes in spinal issues. We were very impressed with his detailed understanding of DH's recent hospitalization and medical challenges as he had reviewed DH's extensive medical records in preparation.

After examining DH, he agreed with the neurosurgeon that spinal surgery is not a wise risk/benefit option. He does think an epidural injection could ease DH's spinal nerve inflammation, right hip-heel pain, and loss of sensation in his right foot. He feels an injection plus continued P.T. could be a very helpful combination. So, DH has agreed to an early December injection.

Otherwise, DH is showing more spirit and trying to be more independent. Walking is almost impossible, but he tries! So, we continue going twice a week to physical therapy sessions plus doing PT homework while watching his alma mater Michigan State football team lose and cheering on our Detroit Lions during their amazing season!

As Thanksgiving approaches, we have much to be thankful for – including our wonderful past BHB cruises (future???) and in the knowledge that we continue to be in the Daily-ites’ prayer and care.

May you each be equally blessed,

-Melisa

Melissa, I hope the injection and the PT help with your DH's pain and balance.  I'm glad he is willing to do the hard work at PT and at home.

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

Edi, that is really good news.  It's always nice with the PA or doctor are happy with the post op progress.  I'm glad you can drive now, and can enjoy wine again.  I'll drink to that.  😉  That was nice they fixed your tire and did not charge you.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the posts today, good humour.

Used condensed milk this morning while making a Kit Kat slice,will cut it into squares later, when the chocolate covering the base is set.

Timaru is located between Christchurch  and Dunedin.  One of the ship excursions is a bus trip to Mount Cook, the highest mountain in New Zealand.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the posts today, good humour.

Used condensed milk this morning while making a Kit Kat slice,will cut it into squares later, when the chocolate covering the base is set.

Timaru is located between Christchurch  and Dunedin.  One of the ship excursions is a bus trip to Mount Cook, the highest mountain in New Zealand.

That is the excursion we have booked for Timaru and we're looking forward to it.  🙂  

By the way, I'm intrigued by the Kit Kat slice -- could you give us your recipe?  TIA! 

• Like 10

Cruise Critic has been very gracious allowing us to use the Daily for many topics of cruising and social topics.
I appreciate that and fully support closing the Daily reports after its daily post. We don’t need two or more Daily Reports on the front page. We use up a lot of bandwidth with our pics and Me Me postings.

One has to remember CC is the Bible Of Cruising site owned by Trip Advisor. Not just a social media site. In their favor hits our views help and entice advertisers. Number of viewers is the game.

I fully support and I’m  so thankful for the CC host for accepting our Daily.

If not for Cruise Critic we would still be pretty uniformed cruisers. Being up to date and informed equals great cruises.

Thanks Cruise Critic. Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Late checkin from our makeshift bed!  Today went well, movers began at 9 and finished about1:30. I slept 9 hrs last night! Felt human today. 

Just caught up on the Daily. Nice to get some news if improvements. And cheers for you Lenda on your new motorhome. We almost went full-time RV instead of coming to Maryland while figuring out our next chapter. Maryland worked great. A little sad to be leaving tomorrow but excited to be closer to the family especially the younger ones who will help us unpack!  

I’ll let you know how this air bed works for us!  Glad I slept last night, not too sure about tonight!  

m—

• Like 15

@Cruising-along  here is the Kit Kat slice recipe.

300 grams digestive biscuits

100 grams butter melted

250 grams condensed milk 

2 x 45 gram packs of Kit Kat  

100 grams Nestle  milk chocolate

Crush digestive biscuits in food processor.  In medium sized bowl,  mix together crushed biscuits,  butter and condensed milk.  Add chopped Kit Kat, fold into mixture.

Scoop mixture into an 8 x 8 cm baking tin, level  out the mixture, 

Refrigerate until set.

Melt milk chocolate pour over the set base.  leave to set.  

(Recipe says to add another 100g of  butter to the chocolate when melting, but I did not do so).

An easy recipe.   Found on the website of local supermarket.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

@Cruising-along  here is the Kit Kat slice recipe.

300 grams digestive biscuits

100 grams butter melted

250 grams condensed milk 

2 x 45 gram packs of Kit Kat  

100 grams Nestle  milk chocolate

Crush digestive biscuits in food processor.  In medium sized bowl,  mix together crushed biscuits,  butter and condensed milk.  Add chopped Kit Kat, fold into mixture.

Scoop mixture into an 8 x 8 cm baking tin, level  out the mixture, 

Refrigerate until set.

Melt milk chocolate pour over the set base.  leave to set.  

(Recipe says to add another 100g of  butter to the chocolate when melting, but I did not do so).

An easy recipe.   Found on the website of local supermarket.

Thank you!

I googled digestive biscuits and see that the American equivalent is graham crackers. This sounds easy and good. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you!

I googled digestive biscuits and see that the American equivalent is graham crackers. This sounds easy and good. 🙂

I don't think digestive biscuits are exactly the same as graham crackers, but you could substitute.  Digestives are common in our cookie aisle at the grocery store, they come plain or with one side coated in chocolate.  Yummy.

@erewhon Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1