The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, January 7th, 2024

kazu

We haven't had snow in my area for almost 2 years, and did not get any yesterday although it came fairly close to us.  I don't have any travel sunrises for January 7 but found this from 2 years ago today.

IMG_0102.JPG.ac9397e0c4816f45fd87ba01fc0

I noted then that I had cleared off as much snow from my car as I could stand without taking a warmup break inside.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I debated whether or not to continue the travelogue after leaving Antarctica yesterday but decided I would do just one more day.  After this report we would have spent time in Montevideo, and departed the ship in Buenos Aires with a tour that day and being dropped off at the airport.  So this report will be the last.  

At sea from South Georgia Island to Montevideo, Uruguay Jan. 7-8, 2017 onboard Seabourn Quest

This will be an update on our progress towards Montevideo, Uruguay upon leaving South Georgia Island to stay ahead of a storm.  At first on the afternoon of the 6th the weather was sunny and nice with fairly calm seas.  But soon the waves grew, the wind howled and for about 36 hours we tossed and turned, rolling and pitching.  This lasted through the night and the entire day of Jan. 7th.  The 8th turned sunny with the temperature rising to 55 to 60 degrees so many people went outdoors to bird watch on the 8th.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

See the bird at the top?

We did what we usually do to stay busy.  I read and cross stitched with my friends.  DH went to a lecture and read his book, and of course we ate and drank which is what all good cruisers do.

We ate dinner in our cabin .  It seems many people decided to do so because there were two playoff games on TV on the 7th, Texas-Raiders and Seahawks-Detroit.  The next photo is the Card Room where snacks and drinks were set up for anyone who wanted to watch the football games somewhere other than in their suites.  As you can see watching TV in your suite wasn’t all that much of a hardship because we saw only two people in here when we walked by.   The TV was bigger in the Card Room, but you can’t stretch out in your PJs can you?

Here is our dinner one night at The Grill by Thomas Keller.  That is a specialty restaurant with no extra charge.  The most difficult part is getting a reservation as often as you'd like.  It's very popular and they would like to be able to serve each and every guest at least once on their cruise.  

I believe I ordered a Caesar salad which is prepared there in the dining room.  DH asked for the crab cake as his appetizer.

I have no idea what type of soup DH ordered but I order the jumbo prawns.  They were so large you had to use a knife and fork to eat them.

I ordered the Lobster Thermidor and DH asked for the filet mignon.  Looks delicious!

Turn your head Debbie @dfish!  It's carrots! 😐

And we shared this huge piece of chocolate cake.  Yum!  They must have felt sorry for DH since he didn't order his own dessert so they brought us 2 chocolate cookies, too.

After dinner we told our stewardess Michelle to forget the turndown.  She insisted on changing our wall clock back one hour and we exchanged towels with her.  That’s all.  She joked with us that we were too neat and there was nothing to do so I’m sure she didn’t find a huge mess in our suite the next morning.😇

We were given back our passports and noted a cool stamp from South Georgia Island to go with the Chilean naval base stamp from Antarctica.  Very exciting!  Next stop is Montevideo, Uruguay.  Unfortunately our cruise is rapidly coming to an end.  Where did the 24 days go?🤷‍♀️

SLC,  After reviewing the photos of your dinner maybe this day should be, I’m not going to take anymore food day!

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

Presbyterian cocktailL

Ingredients
2 ounces scotch, bourbon or rye
2 to 3 ounces ginger ale, chilled, to top
2 to 3 ounces club soda, chilled, to top

Steps
Add the scotch into a highball or Collins glass over ice.
Top with equal amounts of ginger ale and soda.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 8.09.43 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 11

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We haven't had snow in my area for almost 2 years, and did not get any yesterday although it came fairly close to us.  I don't have any travel sunrises for January 7 but found this from 2 years ago today.

IMG_0102.JPG.ac9397e0c4816f45fd87ba01fc0

I noted then that I had cleared off as much snow from my car as I could stand without taking a warmup break inside.

Roy

So that is what snow looks like! 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

I do have a Globetrotters story to share.  My sister, niece, and myself, were on a flight to Australia years ago, and the Globetrotters were on the same flight as us.  If you thought that you had to enjoy a long flight in cramped seats, can you imagine how those guys had to feel as they were a foot taller than we were.  They were walking around the plane almost the whole trip, stretching their legs.  The only complaint came from my sister, as she complained that they drank all the beer she liked on the long flight over to Sydney.

• Like 16
  • Haha 12

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Presbyterian cocktailL

Ingredients

Steps

Does this drink mean I will be redeemed and cleansed from this alcohol. 😳

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Presbyterian cocktailL

Ingredients

Steps

This would be a great drink if you left out the ginger ale and the club soda.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Good morning, everyone.

We have a dusting of snow on the ground this morning in mid-Michigan.  I'm glad we delivered all our flyers yesterday.  We may go mall walking today and then, we may not.  It all depends.  Nothing else is planned.  

@kochleffel Paul, have a wonderful cruise!

@rafinmd I'm hoping all goes well with your treatment tomorrow.  

I agree with @StLouisCruisers Sandi that today's meal is kind of lacking something.  Maybe this is to with the Hungarian goulash from a few days ago.  And why make them in a slow cooker, as @rafinmd Roy asks?   I have no clue except that you can.  I suppose for someone who is going to be out all afternoon it is a good way to have them almost ready to go when you get home.   These recipes have you using sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.  You can also throw in a little cream cheese.  Our first recipe is lightened up version of mashed potatoes.  https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/best-creamy-garlic-slow-cooker-mashed-potatoes/

garlicmashedpotatoes1.jpg.78bb6e9e1530fdbe640d7665bd7410e1.jpg

I don't know if I would bother lightening up mashed potatoes.  I say go for it!   And, if you choose, you don't have to peel them.  The nutrients are all in the skin.  This next recipe used baby red potatoes that were not peeled.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a56448/crock-pot-garlicky-mashed-potatoes-recipe/

garlicmashedpotatoes2.thumb.jpg.9677360d32571cf75eb31c8f453669c8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 15

Posted (edited)

Good morning. Looks like we are in for a beautiful day here in Cozumel. We are booked for a dune buggy, snorkeling, Mayan Ruins and most likely tequila and treats.

Tonight is our Azamazing Evening for this segment. Cultural dancing. Food and more tequila. They bus us there and these special evenings are included on every segment.

Last evening we enjoyed dinner in main dining room followed by an outstanding performance from four tenors from UK.

That was followed by a toast and Captain Carl welcome. He’s a character.

We are here until ten before we have two sea days headed for Panama.

Yesterday we enjoyed some great lectures, trivia and briefing for World Voyagers. Also received backpacks which included water bottle and umbrella all labeled with 2024 World Voyage.

Have a great week everyone. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.0361d91c62e64f8cf26116929782ecba.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f9b15fca0f084e1ce756ba6d9c486674.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7bf6ad6aeeec8063882caf217ab1f07f.jpegimage.jpeg.8518e137d23eac9f3148d482be114f20.jpegimage.jpeg.514de47a788dd0f0ee7d1b75c33a9f2a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8415d91dd24932d1d6a313c2fcb7881d.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 21
  • Haha 13

Good morning. We got mostly rain here last night and this morning.  The dogs and I negotiated slushy areas carefully. Our wonderful neighbor and some of his workers from the DPW shoveled a few of the sidewalks and driveway ends as a nice surprise. I thanked them all profusely and they told me the boss was worried about his older neighbors slipping. I guess I fit into that category.

Thanks for the recipes Debbie @dfish. I decided to make the potatoes this way as I have a bag  of little potatoes that need to be used. No peeling!

DH and I were in the port while on the Eurodam right after the start of Arab Spring. It was very exciting as the people we met and our tour guide were glad to show tourists around. Unfortunately the pictures I took were lost when I had a PC  die so I will  just have to remember it.We went to a souk and a museum that had beautiful tile work preserved.

@kochleffel, Paul, BON VOYAGE!

Enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 27

4 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for sharing your travelogue of Antarctica.  Very enjoyable.

It was my pleasure Melanie!

Terry @smitty34877 I'm so happy to hear of your generous and kind neighbor helping you all out with the shoveling of the slush.  Be careful out there!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!   The Harlem Globetrotters have brought fun and laughter to many with their antics on the court.  We're mentoring again, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I'm reminded of the song "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister - a great song to have playing loudly in a convertible while traveling down the highway.  Yes, I've done that.

It's amazing what a difference a little snow makes - when I get up in the morning there's more light from the street lamps reflecting off the snow.  Even the back yard looks brighter.  We had just a light dusting yesterday, not enough to even take out the broom for, but we may get some more today. It is getting colder, though - more to come.

@kochleffel Bon Voyage - have a wonderful cruise!

Not much on the agenda today, but it sounds like DH is coming down with another cold - he just got over the one from Christmas.  He sounds very congested, so we'll see how it plays out; I've got the vitamin C and zinc at the ready for him.  I'll run the swiffer around the hardwood floors and take the vacuum to the bedroom carpet and that's all I've got planned for a quiet Sunday.  Plenty of time to start a new blanket.

I'd like the drink of the day using scotch, but without all the sparkly stuff.  I'm pretty sure I'd like the wine, and yesssss to the potatoes!  Our family has loved garlic mashed for years before it was popular, although I've never made them in a slow cooker before.  I always try to make them quickly, not slowly.  Late this afternoon I'll make up a gravy with some chicken broth so we can enjoy hot chicken sandwiches and mixed vegetables at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I saw the Harlem Globetrotters as a kid, I have been a mentor many times in my career and I resemble "I'm not going to take it anymore!"!!  The quote is true.  I think the meal needs something, pass on the drink, would consider the wine but it is expensive, never been to Tunisia (but worked with some Tunisian nurse while in Najran, KSA).  I learned to type as a freshman in high school and was pretty good at it; Galileo was an amazing discoverer!!

We are expecting a storm later on today but presently it is 44F and partly cloudy.  Today is cooking day and in a couple of minutes I need to go pick up the groceries I ordered yesterday.  I was too lazy to go to the store so just ordered it online.  I have to finish washing clothes as I am working tomorrow.

@Norseh2o my sincere condolences on the passing of your DM.  Thoughts for all and cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 19.37.21.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, travelnap said:

I do have a Globetrotters story to share.  My sister, niece, and myself, were on a flight to Australia years ago, and the Globetrotters were on the same flight as us.  If you thought that you had to enjoy a long flight in cramped seats, can you imagine how those guys had to feel as they were a foot taller than we were.  They were walking around the plane almost the whole trip, stretching their legs.  The only complaint came from my sister, as she complained that they drank all the beer she liked on the long flight over to Sydney.

I guess you can say that flight was a slam drunk not a slam dunk! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

45 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Looks like we are in for a beautiful day here in Cozumel. We are booked for a dune buggy, snorkeling, Mayan Ruins and most likely tequila and treats.

Tonight is our Azamazing Evening for this segment. Cultural dancing. Food and more tequila. They bus us there and these special evenings are included on every segment.

Last evening we enjoyed dinner in main dining room followed by an outstanding performance from four tenors from UK.

That was followed by a toast and Captain Carl welcome. He’s a character.

We are here until ten before we have two sea days headed for Panama.

Yesterday we enjoyed some great lectures, trivia and briefing for World Voyagers. Also received backpacks which included water bottle and umbrella all labeled with 2024 World Voyage.

Have a great week everyone. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.0361d91c62e64f8cf26116929782ecba.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f9b15fca0f084e1ce756ba6d9c486674.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7bf6ad6aeeec8063882caf217ab1f07f.jpegimage.jpeg.8518e137d23eac9f3148d482be114f20.jpegimage.jpeg.514de47a788dd0f0ee7d1b75c33a9f2a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8415d91dd24932d1d6a313c2fcb7881d.jpeg

Sounds great!  Dune buggy Chief & Ms Chief? Wow!

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I guess you can say that flight was a slam drunk not a slam dunk! 😀

They were well behaved, but it did seem that every time they walked by our seats it was with a beer in hand.  That is why my sister knew what brand of beer they liked.  That is a long flight so you can drink a few beers and still have time for a nap or two.

• Like 16

Good morning all. Light dusting of snow this morning, still snowing lightly. Right at the freezing mark. I doubt it will accurate much on the roads. We have a birthday party later today. DGD turning 20 today (no more teens, she says) and her brother DGS turning 23 on Tuesday. Not sure where the time went. I quit my job to help babysit them both so DD could go back to work after her year maternity leave. 

prayers for those needing them, cheers to those celebrating. Sorry, but that cheer will be with ice water or a cup of tea as I am trying dry January. Wish me luck. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!

@grapau27Thank you for bringing us Father David each week.  I appreciate it.

@smitty34877How nice that "getting older" has its benefits.

@rafinmd DH found out that since his radiation appointments were early in the morning, if he didn't eat immediately after, his appetite would be gone all day.  Don't tire yourself out on Monday.

@Norseh2oCondolences on the passing of your mom.  She lived a long life, and she had great kids! I am glad that you and your family got to spend the last week with her.

The more Bubbles moves around on the porch, I notice more injuries on him.  Originally it was just the top of his head, then I noticed the terrible swollen infection under his chin, and yesterday, now that he in uncurling, a bite on his front leg.  I can only think that he was attacked and survived a coyote.  He is using the litter box, he is eating, and drinking water.  He is no longer trying to escape every time I open the door, and with the heater on the porch, it is a comfortable temperature.  He flinches when i try to pet him though, and I think if I can get him in a carrier, I will take him to our vet.  Our vet doesnt like to see strays, and this office now seems to be more interested in money that animals.  The original vet that I had been seeing since 1979 retired several years ago, and sold the practice to another vet.  A young woman that is sweet and wonderful with animals, but she took in another vet who is all about the money.  It makes it hard to get an appointment.  Everyone wants to see Dr. T, so often we have had to have Dr. P.

I am jealous of the snow fall that the north has received.  Our last good snow shut down Atlanta for a week. Shari drove me home from work, but was afraid to stop the car, so she drove through the parking lot of a church near my house, and while it was still in motion, I had to fall out.  It took her another hour to get to her home, and it was only 3 miles away.

How are mashed potatoes a meal?  Years ago someone told me that the nutrients were in the skin, so my potato salad has the skin, and if all i have are reds, then they get mashed with the skin.

Lunch today is a BLT.  So I am not waking DH early.  he will eat breakfast and not want lunch.

I hope that everyone has a relaxing day! 

image.png.9dc7f181eea7d0771ba9f0054a5ec779.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Light dusting of snow this morning, still snowing lightly. Right at the freezing mark. I doubt it will accurate much on the roads. We have a birthday party later today. DGD turning 20 today (no more teens, she says) and her brother DGS turning 23 on Tuesday. Not sure where the time went. I quit my job to help babysit them both so DD could go back to work after her year maternity leave. 

prayers for those needing them, cheers to those celebrating. Sorry, but that cheer will be with ice water or a cup of tea as I am trying dry January. Wish me luck. 

It's nice you live near your DGC so you can spend lots of time with them, and attend those birthday parties.  Happy birthday to both of them!  I have 3 out of my 6 DGC's birthdays in January!  One was last week, Ren's is Thursday the 11th and the eldest Tyler's on the 22nd.  To quote you - not sure where the time went!  Weren't they just babies?  Good luck with your dry January!  

• Like 15

@superoma If it helps Fre makes a very good non alcoholic Sauvignon Blanc.  We picked some up at the farmers market a couple of weeks ago.  I prefer red NA wine, but the farmers market is only carrying the whites.

Ariel makes an excellent Red NA wine, but it has to be shipped, and since it is alcohol free, it can freeze, so we cant get it during the winter months.

Good luck.  You can do it! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1