12 points to get to Diamond

10 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

I'm just trying to make sure that what I think is correct is actually correct. 

You can also book a solo cruise 6 days or longer to get the points. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kellie in Texas said:

Easiest way to get to Diamond? Book a 7-day junior suite to get 14 points? Or a 14-day back-to-back but that's a little more difficult while still working. 

In my opinion the easiest way is to do a 6 day cruise as a solo. 

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The easiest way is ... when you get there, you get there.

So true!!  No need to rush it. the perks are decent but not big enough for you to go out and spend a fortune to reach that next tier.  enjoy the ride, the next stop will be there sooner than you think.  Congrats to you as you Tier up.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The easiest way is ... when you get there, you get there.

Maybe they want to get there sooner for a longer cruise? The benefits can be nice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

Easiest way to get to Diamond? Book a 7-day junior suite to get 14 points? Or a 14-day back-to-back but that's a little more difficult while still working. 

Can you explain why do you need to get there ASAP? What are you expecting?

• Like 1

We honestly had never paid much attention to our tier level, other than "Hey, look at that - we moved up!" 😄When we did realize how close we would be for our 50th anniversary cruise later in 2025, we decided to cancel our summer (land) vacation and added 5 nights to our 7 night cruise this fall. Cruises are our preferred vacation type anyway! We plan to make next year's anniversary cruise a longer one and some of the benefits will be nice. IF they don't change the benefits before then! 🙃

• Like 1

I think you might want to consider doing the math to figure out if spending more money to take another cruise or upgrade to a suite is worth getting to diamond, so you can enjoy 4 drinks with your diamond status. That seems to be the biggest advantage of becoming diamond.

4 nights solo in a JS would be my plan, especially if I have to build around a work schedule.

I needed 8 pts to get to Diamond in 2022, with a 9-night Oasis cruise already booked in 2023 that I wanted to avoid buying the drink package. My wife jumped on board with me taking a solo 4-nighter to get the points needed...then decided after I booked that it sounded like too much fun, so we booked a cabin that could sleep 3 for her and DS. We hardly touched the solo cabin during the trip, but got the points we needed for the Oasis trip last summer.

9 hours ago, sailor05 said:

4 drinks a day x 7days is $392 plus a $20 picture is $412. Assuming you drink 4 a day, this is the financial benefit for one 7 night cruise.

I was going to do the math but you beat me to it. Now the question becomes, does the extra cost to get there outweigh the financial benefit once you are there? I wouldn't spend $1,000 to save $500. You'll get there eventually and then the benefits will be yours without having to pay extra to get them.

We faced something similar and wanted to get to diamond before a longer cruise.  Ended up going on a 5-night JS on a smaller ship for 10 points and then a 3 night inside weekend cruise to get us over the line.  As others have said, there are a number of ways, but for us, this appeared to be both the most economical and enjoyable way.

9 hours ago, sailor05 said:

4 drinks a day x 7days is $392 plus a $20 picture is $412. Assuming you drink 4 a day, this is the financial benefit for one 7 night cruise.

And for me the biggest benefit is still the wifi. I dont hardly drink. Fresh oj nice but wifi bigger to me.

The reason I'd want pinnacle is for free wifi the whole cruise. 

• Like 1

There are x-thousands with Diamond status and constantly growing, nothing really special anymore beside the financial benefit of drinks and small other stuff.

But if you still spend much extra on an additional cruise you still spend a lot of money.... 

• Like 1

In the olden days one could find deals to climb the ladder when it made sense to achieve status for a special future cruise.  At today's rates I think it's harder to find value in taking a cruise for points.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Ah, point chasing.  Just do what most of us did and cruise until you hit it.  We're rapidly approaching Pinn (635 pts) but we aren't booking cruises just to hit it.  We're cruising at our current normal 4-6 per year (I'm retired and DH is working part time and only gets paid for the days he works so no leave required) and we'll hit in Spring 2025, but not because that was our goal.  Cruising is our only goal.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

In the olden days one could find deals to climb the ladder when it made sense to achieve status for a special future cruise.  At today's rates I think it's harder to find value in taking a cruise for points.  

Getting harder to find value for any cruise 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:
11 hours ago, sailor05 said:

Also 1 free day (24 hour period) of Voom.  IIRC, $28.99

THIS ^^ + you have not factored in 18% gratuities and X 2 assuming the diamond benefits will be shared by two !

Cheers