The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 17th, 2024

kazu

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  

Today is Camp Fire Girls Day, Doctor Patient Trust Day, and National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day

It is a scientific fact that your body will not absorb cholesterol if you take it from another person's plate. - Dave Barry

Meal Suggestion for today - Corned Beef & Cabbage
Drink of the Day - Rum Punch
Wine of the Day - Mollydooker Shiraz Carnival of Love 
Destination of the Day - St. Johns, Antigua and Barbuda 

Today in History:
432 Saint Patrick, aged about 16 is captured by Irish pirates from his home in Great Britain and taken as a slave to Ireland (traditional date)
1521 Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan reaches the Philippines
1861 Italy is unified into a single kingdom under Victor Emmanuel II following the campaigns led by Giuseppe Garibaldi
1905 Albert Einstein finishes his scientific paper detailing his Quantum Theory of Light, one of the foundations of modern physics

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 03-19

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 03-23

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 03-18

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US 

Oosterdam

Puerto Montt, Chile 08:00 - 17:00 

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 03-19

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Picton, New Zealand 11:00 - 19:00 

Volendam

Nukualofa, Tongatapu, Tonga 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Naha, Okinawa Island Japan eta 03-19

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Da Nang, Hue, Vietnam eta 03-19

• Like 20
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s DD falling and fracturing her humerus

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye pressure doing unexpected things

Nickelpenny’s passing of her cat Martina 3/11/2024

Fires in the Texas panhandle and OK; storms/tornados in the midwest

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s identical twins

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency surgery, now at rehab

Cruzin Terri’s friend Anita post kidney removal for cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Bon Voyage Scrapnana (Kathi)!

Happy 63rd Anniversay Irishjim & Sheila!

Welcome Home 0106!

Nickelpenny winning a free cruise!

Marshhawk getting a sale

SusieKIslandGirl in Hawaii

57redbird in Maui for a 2 week vacation

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy discharged to home!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Lazey1 (Koningsdam Mar 23 to Mar 30) 7d Mexico

6 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam Mar 23 to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal

Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Mar 23) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, with her sister, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Crazy For Cats (Eurodam to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Suslor (Zaandam to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal, Scrapnana (Rotterdam to Mar 29) 12d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, RedneckBob (Celebrity Reflection to March 24) 8d E. Caribbean, then (Nieuw Statendam March 24 to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 22

Rum Punch cocktail:

Ingredients
1 cup of orange juice
1 cup of pineapple juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup of grenadine

In a pitcher, combine the juices, the rum, and the grenadine. Stir. Pour into ice-filled glasses and serve with an orange slice and maraschino cherries.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.10.04 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Happy St. Paddy's Day.

Thanks for the Report.

Cool with a chance of flurries today.  I hope it's not too windy.

I wish the quote was true. 🙂

I don't think we're having corned beef and cabbage tonight for dinner, not sure what's on the menu.  We won't be having the drink either, but it sounds tasty.  I think I'd like the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Another super rushed day, but all because I made a commitment to myself to get to the gym today. And of course it is in the opposite direction of everything else I have to do. But worth it. 

Mollydooker Shiraz Carnival of Love 2021

I used the 2021 vintage info, because that should be easy to find. This Shiraz sounds lovely, but it is outside of my budget. Fairly easy to find with online prices starting at $79.95.

Wine.com

Winemaker Notes

Intense in color, flavor and aroma, the 2021 Carnival of Love Shiraz captivates the palate from the first sip. Powerful yet delicate, lifted aromas of red cherry, blackberry and turkish delight evolve, while subtle hints of mocha linger. Infectious chocolate cherry, fresh plum and liquorice add to the complexity, while creating a seamless structure and lingering finish.

Professional Ratings

• 96Tasting Panel

Sarah Marquis has crafted an intense, dark-fruited Shiraz with spice, black pepper, and a hint of bacon. This is not a sideshow wine: Thanks to its lively and energetic notes of blackberry and plum, it's more like a bustling carnival that pleases all of the senses.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

Good morning friends and Happy St. Patrick's Day!  I have a temp of 52F right now.  It will reach around 66 and it will be cloudy with scattered showers today.  No big plans to celebrate or go anywhere.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for continuing to post the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  I'm happy to recognize Camp Fire Girls (I was a Brownie), Doctor Patient Trust Day and Corned Beef and Cabbage.  When we went to Kroger yesterday they had all you needed to prepare that traditional dish right as you walked in the front door!  We won't be having that but DH will have something planned by the time he has finished breakfast.  No thanks to the rum punch or the Shiraz.  Many interesting days in history on our list.  Poor young St. Patrick being kidnapped.  Nice discovery by Magellan, a big day in Italy and hurray for Albert Einstein.  A cheer to our F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your excellent reports.👍

Prayers for the Care list individuals, those in Israel and Ukraine fighting for their countries, the hostages still held and our troops in the region under fire.  Also I pray for my DB's health and well being, great nephew Alex's twins in utero, and my friends Scott and Susan.  🙏

Cheers to our celebrants of happy events and cruisers! 🎉 Happy 63rd Anniversary to Jim and Sheila! 🥂 Bon Voyage to Kathi @Scrapnana🚢 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the awesome lists you present us every day!

The destination today is St. John's Antigua and Barbuda.  I was surprised to see we hadn't highlighted this port before, I guess because there are several other St. Johns.  So another new port!  We visited there twice in 2015 on Ruby Princess and in 2019 on Rotterdam.  I'll get the photos together shortly.

Hoping everyone has a nice St. Paddy's Day.  Stay safe and keep well, and if you're traveling drive safely and/or have a good flight.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day.

Foggy right now but another nice day coming up with sunny skies and 81, once the fog burns off I’ll go for a bike ride then it’s off to church.

Great selection of days but the quote is sort of silly.

Corned beef with cabbage and boiled potatoes is a great meal, the next day with leftovers you can make Reuben Sandwiches, how great is that!

The Players Championship is going to be a shootout today with probably 7 guys with a good chance of winning, Xander Schauffle has a one shot lead at 17 under headIng into round 4.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY!!!!!

The day is worthy of celebration for sure.  I wish I had thought to buy corned beef and cabbage but it really is too much food for one person.  I do love it though.

IMG_1683.gif.62062eebc72d5fc5515985c6fca6c604.gif

LOL on the quote - wouldn’t it be great if it were true?  Raining here and it’s either rain, snow or a mix on St. Paddy’s day normally.  It seems to be a tradition.  I have a hard time recalling when it didn’t.  Lots of tasks to do inside so it’s no biggie.

IMG_1684.gif.0568160cd0551e4abe59f74b73f8f4ac.gif

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1686.gif.111c5ea7235026519754ff8af7b537c7.gif

• Like 25

7 minutes ago, summer slope said:

How do I go to a specific date on CC?  I would like to see my first post of the drink of the day. 

I’m not sure but I believe Vanessa @JazzyV posted it yesterday.  I think it was originally from Roy @rafinmd  He might be able to help.

Here is her post on dates yesterday

14 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@richwmn I copied the timeline Roy had posted.

April 27, 2019: Rich puts out feeler on Fleet Locations but had no takers

April 28, 2019: Rich’s first Fleet Report

March 16, 2020: First appearance of “The Daily” with addition of notable days

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

July 9, 2020: My first sunrise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

December 26, 2020: Dailyite Meet and Greet on Zoom

January 27, 2021: Debbie’s first meal review

January 31, 2021: First Destination of the Day

January 18, 2022: Father David’s first sermon on the Daily

June 19, 2022: First Fleet Report and Daily

Roy

• Like 15

St. John’s, Antigua and Barbuda

We stopped at this Caribbean port in 2015 on our South America cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles, 49 days.  St. John’s is a small, poor town and doesn’t take long to explore on foot.  This first time there I took a tour after our walk around town.  There were two cruise ships in port so it was rather crowded. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

There were the usual touristy souvenir places

But we decided to head up a hill to a church we saw from the ship, St. John’s Cathedral

But it was in poor shape and under renovation.  Time and hurricanes had done their damage. It didn’t look nearly as bad on the outside as it did on the inside

It would take a lot of work to get it to look like this again!  

After lunch I headed out on my ship’s tour.  The first stop was Blockhouse Ruins where we had a commanding view of land and sea.

We viewed the remains of the powder magazine, gun platforms, cisterns and the officer’s barracks.

Next we saw the Shirley Heights Lookout point with its picture perfect views of English Harbour.

Our final stop was Nelson’s Dockyard, the finest example of a British Naval yard in the Caribbean.  We got to look around a while and enjoy a beverage in the Copper & Lumber Store bar before heading back to the ship.

If you needed a T-shirt they had a good selection

In 2019 we again visited St. John’s, this time on the Rotterdam, and stayed in town taking a brisk walk as exercise.  We went up the hill to the church again but it seems it is still under construction.  The church consists of outer stone walls with a second wooden building inside.  They felt this type of construction would help protect it from hurricanes and earthquakes.  However all buildings require maintenance over the decades.  I wish them luck completing this project.  We were not able to enter the church on this trip as they had blocked entrances to visitors.

Hoping they complete work on St. John's Cathedral and take it back to its old glory days.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here it is Dixie!

Do you have an easy way to do that.  For me, it's all trial and error.

Roy

• Like 14

For those who want to look for particular posts on certain dates, go to the general Holland America Line thread first page where you would find today's Daily for instance.  At the top where the page numbers are, look to the right where it says Sort By.  There are page numbers from 1 to 5102 at the moment.  This number rises each day as new posts are created.  Click on the down arrow and put a number in the box.  For 2020 you have to go back a good bit so start around 500.  Then when you see the dates there you can go up or down until you find the date you want, like when Dixie just asked for Sept. 1, 2020.  In a short time you should be able to find Rich's Daily with that date.  Click on that post and begin your journey back in time to all we discussed that day.  You'll find so much you had forgotten!  The post for Sept. 1, 2020 was on page 519.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from the Eurodam.  Thanks for today's daily fleet report. 

20240317_070515.thumb.jpg.65af8a5fdb1256ad805ad777eec7753d.jpg

Travel caught up with me and I slept until 6:45, the kids would never allow that to happen.

Last night we went to Tamarind and while the food was excellent the service was slow.  Twenty minutes just to see if we wanted a drink. We registered a complaint and was promised better if we come back. 

When I read today's program I  couldn't help but think HAL reads this thread.

20240316_202508.thumb.jpg.05f305e893d74e0f5251cbe76f0c44e1.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure but I believe Vanessa @JazzyV posted it yesterday.  I think it was originally from Roy @rafinmd  He might be able to help.

Here is her post on dates yesterday

I saw that. But how do I get sept 1, 2021 to show.

• Like 8