The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 17th, 2024

kazu

5 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@ger_77  I'm Magic McNaughty and hubby is Jovial Pot O Gold. 😁

I’ve gotta know… I am a Melanie too,  and also Magic McNaughty… what day of the month is your birthday?   (The day you joined Cc had me intrigued, as that day is my birthday)…

😁

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Today's sunrise is from a 2017 land trip to Iguazu between cruises on Crystal Serenity and Zaandam.  On March 17 I was on a luxury bus from Buenos Aires to Iguazu:

dawn0317.jpg

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

orthopaedic surgeon recommends surgery.  She doesn't think she wants to do it.

When I broke my humerus near the shoulder in 2017, in the week of U.S. Thanksgiving, the ortho doc said that there was no alternative to surgery if I wanted the arm to be functional. Pro surgery: the arm was functional, the morning after the surgery, even if initially too painful and stiff to do much. Con: the tissue damage from the surgery required many weeks of physical therapy.

That was indirectly responsible for my first cruise. PT started at the end of December and I had to cancel a January vacation. A cruise in the spring seemed like the best and least stressful replacement.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from a chilly, windy day in Wisconsin!  Happy St. Patrick's day.☘️  We had corned beef and cabbage at DD & DSIL's house last night.  Ours is cooking in the slow cooker today.  No cabbage today though.  We'll be having some Guinness along with it!🍻 

Thanks for all of the pictures and posts today.  

Happy Anniversary to @irishjim

Bon Voyage to those sailing today!  I wonder what it was like on Half Moon Cay with 2 big ships there yesterday.  

Our local High School marching band and choir were in New York this week for the parade and festivities.  The choir sang in St. Patrick's Cathedral.  Enjoy the rest of your day, K

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

When I broke my humerus near the shoulder in 2017, in the week of U.S. Thanksgiving, the ortho doc said that there was no alternative to surgery if I wanted the arm to be functional. Pro surgery: the arm was functional, the morning after the surgery, even if initially too painful and stiff to do much. Con: the tissue damage from the surgery required many weeks of physical therapy.

That was indirectly responsible for my first cruise. PT started at the end of December and I had to cancel a January vacation. A cruise in the spring seemed like the best and least stressful replacement.

Was that tissue damage muscle?  Good things to think about.  The doc evidently told her that it was a "grey area" - whether or not to have the surgery would be up to her.   We will discuss on Wednesday at the hospital.  

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I like your new picture - how did you change the ship into a gingerbread man?

The gingerbread man is a 'badge' from CC at Christmas time.  You can change your picture by clicking on it an then clicking on the 'Profile Photo' at left hand side.

Todays picture is a bowl of shamrock, but will be back to the ship tomorrow or maybe the HAL 150 stamp.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, Dixie, and Graham/Father David.  Happy Saint Patricks day, and Happy Anniversary @irishjim.  Welcome home @0106.

I'll celebrate Campfire Girls and Doctor-Patient trust. 

I wish the quote were true.

I visited today's port just once on the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore.

An interesting group of days in history.  Saint Patrick's story shows how a bad situation can evolve into good.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Braised Lamb Shank, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam March 17, 2019.  The monkeys which became the voyage mascots for  the final segment of the voyage were dressed for the occasion:

dishes17.jpg

monkeys.jpg

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

She’s 94, 95 in September. She is so healthy even with two different bouts of cancer, colon and lung. Both caught really early. Her doctor told her Friday that all her blood work is good and she said something about wondering when it won’t. He said that her most troublesome concern should be falling and breaking something. She said that’s why I use a walker. Anyway, your words are so true and I’m sure she hates me helping her so much. And yes, the facility would contact me if they notice something off. Thank you Debbie!  I miss you!

Right there with you in many ways.  My DM is 95, God willing 96 this August.  She lives alone, still drives during the day and drives well I  might add, often too heavy foot on the gas!  She goes to the gym 3x a week at 5:30 am still cooks for herself and is an avid reader and former golfer she also  enjoys doing puzzles.   Ironic story, my DM is the oldest of 7 siblings and besides herself only 2 others are alive.

It has been a BIG learning curve for me, DD who is 71, to learn about the aging process with a parent.  What I have  learned is to not treat her like a child or an elderly senior.  

Her health is good considering her age but the normal aging process has  taken its toll on her physical body.  She  wants desperately to fly from Boston to California to visit with her sister one final time.  I have been the go between person to put this together.  Looks like it will happen end of April BUT!

The BUT is that my sister in law, who will be traveling with DM on this trip recommends that DM use a wheel chair at the airport.  SIL is concerned DM will protest as that equals "old" in her mind.  I said I would deal with it and I was very pleasantly surprised  that DM agreed to the wheel chair and it was much easier than I anticipated.

I took the approach that "DM I  am going to say something and you are not going to  like it; all I am asking is if you will please thinK about it."  DM response was OK I am sitting down (this was a phone conversation).  I proceeded to tell her how my SIL had suggested to me when I was flying across country after my TKR last year that I  utilize a wheelchair at the airport and I was offended but I agreed to it and OMG it was amazing.  No crowds, such great service, no dealing  with crowds getting on the plane etc etc dash thru security.   Guess what...DM said OK I'll do it!

Best of luck with your mom I am sure she gets tired easily and frustrated with herself as  well.  It is a very difficult situation dealing with our brains telling us we are not old but our bodies telling us something different.

Thanks to all for the Dailys, enjoying following.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Pat commented this morning that when he was growing up in Ireland, the feast of St. Patrick was a Holy Day of Obligation ( must go to Mass), and all the pubs were closed.  Funny to think of that now.

DD had a call this morning from the hospital, orthopaedic surgeon recommends surgery.  She doesn't think she wants to do it.  We may not be cruising next month...

Ann, although she doesn't want surgery, it may be a matter of getting good function back. She will need to talk to the doctor to discuss things like that. Prayers for her and I hope you do get to cruise.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Corned beef is in the Instant Pot. I debated, but since it will cook in 90 minutes, it's not too late. I don't usually eat dinner until around 7 any way.

@dfish Thanks for the link to the stew recipe. I want to try it.

• Like 17

and my name is Jovial McNaughty.

I would love to have corned beef and either cabbage or sauerkraut however with my sodium restricted diet I can't.

A question for any of you who may have cruised while on a restricted diet. My T.A. has notified HAL of the dietary restriction. How is this handled by HAL? Am I given a special menu to choose from; am I given a list of foods with the sodium content listed; am I expected to know the sodium content without help or ???

Jane

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

DD had a call this morning from the hospital, orthopaedic surgeon recommends surgery.  She doesn't think she wants to do it.  We may not be cruising next month...

I hope you can cruise next month 🤞 

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

The doc evidently told her that it was a "grey area" - whether or not to have the surgery would be up to her.   We will discuss on Wednesday at the hospital.  

Hmm - there is a risk she heard what she wanted (since she doesn’t want surgery - trust me - I’ve been there) since your first post was recommends surgery.  Definitely discuss on Wednesday - I assume you see the orthopaedic surgeon then?  If she needs surgery, the sooner it is done, the better and the easier the healing.

I have not broken that bone but I’ve had the misfortune to break two elbows and I know all too well the time line.  The sooner the better.  I’m mystified by “grey” - she needs to know the repercussions if it’s not done and if it is.  Once it starts to knit - it’s too late.  Hopefully you will be there with her for the discussion.  it’s better to have two sets of ears as the person getting the news doesn’t always absorb it all.

13 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I would love to have corned beef and either cabbage or sauerkraut however with my sodium restricted diet I can't.

A question for any of you who may have cruised while on a restricted diet. My T.A. has notified HAL of the dietary restriction. How is this handled by HAL? Am I given a special menu to choose from; am I given a list of foods with the sodium content listed; am I expected to know the sodium content without help or ???

Jane

I don’t have dietary restrictions but I have been with people who do, Jane.  HAL does it well.  In the MDR, they give you the menu the night before and you select from it.  You are not alone watching sodium content and there will be guidance for it.  HAL does this very well.

Eating in the Lido, you will need to remind them of your dietary restrictions.  I believe my friend usually spoke to the Lido manager.  She also reminded her waiters the first night after introductions of her dietary restrictions if they didn’t say anything.  On our cruise, they did right away but she advised that’s how she approached it.

She enjoyed all her meals.  Her selection for the next day was a fun event.  It was back in the day when we didn’t see menus in advance so she gave us the low down on the choices for the next night as she selected.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

25 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

Jane, I'm sure others will have better information, but usually if your one a special diet you will be given the menu the night before to select your choices.  I think in your case, you make you selections no salt or low sodium.  Be sure to tell your server about your sodium restrictions, and he can probably help you with your selections.  If they know in advance, many dishes can be made without salt.  Well, I see Jacqui @kazu told you the same thing while I was writing this.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Pat commented this morning that when he was growing up in Ireland, the feast of St. Patrick was a Holy Day of Obligation ( must go to Mass), and all the pubs were closed.  Funny to think of that now.

Ann, I know your DD does not want the surgery, but I hope she waits until she sees the orthopedist before making her decision.  With the upper arm and shoulder involved there are so many variables, an informed decision is necessary.  I hope you can still go on your cruise.

We still have sun and made it to 60F.  It's still breezy, so I'll wait another day or two to spray the ground clear.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Happy St. Patrick day to all.

It’s a beautiful day in Cebu, Philippines and our thirsty ship is taking on fuel. Nice  dinner under stars last night along with great entertainment.

Got to run but thanks for postings. Will catch up later. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.2a9df06810ed0a72a913206b3651174c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.abcbf8a08299c27a269d7f9a622c8702.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3d63b02c947f7e9055bdf4aac85e8328.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9e515f41f96ec08560872fb476cda7e1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.760c16988a7991c986823ffef2ce9dce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5bee3ac9385af0cff23cf67da97b0168.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c5d0dcaf05d0990514024587bc171850.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80929981bf19137fd59f684162c75d43.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

8 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny morning. It’s currently 56 and breezy and supposed to be cool tomorrow.

Happy St Patrick’s Day . I was in Ireland, 17 years ago this summer, I still have a jacket from the Cliffs of Moher. 
Happy Birthday to my fellow Camp Fire Girls. 
I was a Bluebird thru adult leadership. Many good memories.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

Blue Bird thru Horizon Club here...

• Like 8

2 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

Contact Ship Services/Special Needs & fill out the form....on board each evening you'll be given the next night's dinner menu & at the top of it note your restrictions.  In the specialty restaurants they seem to know but they do ask. In the Lido you're on your own.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

IMG_1069.thumb.jpeg.061924b65d8f7fdbc1922824879718ad.jpeg

A beautiful St.Patrick’s Day in Southern California! A nice start with Church, clean clothes drying on the clothes line, chicken marinating for bbq tonight. Dinner tonight is chicken, baked yams, salad and a favorite William Hill California Chardonnay (DH was responsible for the environmental documents for Mr. Hill’s winery in Northern California last century 😊). Prayers and kindness to all in need, hope for Ukraine, the war torn Middle East and Haiti. 

Edited by Norseh2o
NA
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, lazey1 said:

and my name is Jovial McNaughty....

Jane

Ask TA to submit a Special Needs (maybe Special Assistance) form to HAL where you will indicate your your need for a special diet. Then first night in MDR, tell them you have a special dietary request. They'll likely ask what it is then bring you the menu for the following night. Top of it, you will note your cabin number and "low sodium" or "no sodium" (whichever it is).

Then you'll mark your choices and give the sheet back to your server. If there is an issue w/any specific choice, they'll connect with you.

You can also go to the MDR when you first get on and let them know so that there is no delay w/your dinner the first night.

Lido you may need to be diligent about asking for a manager to be sure you get the correct dishes.

Specialty dining you'll just tell them when you are ready to order.

I do this every cruise...

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

She’s 94, 95 in September. She is so healthy even with two different bouts of cancer, colon and lung. Both caught really early. Her doctor told her Friday that all her blood work is good and she said something about wondering when it won’t. He said that her most troublesome concern should be falling and breaking something. She said that’s why I use a walker. Anyway, your words are so true and I’m sure she hates me helping her so much. And yes, the facility would contact me if they notice something off. Thank you Debbie!  I miss you!

Sharon,  just have to jump in because my experience was similar.  My mom was very bright and could cover easily.  It took a gerontologist to see what was happening.   As they explained to be by mid nineties there is likely hardening of the arteries in the brain.

At times she could take her frustrations out on me, yet she had never been a grumpy person. She would argue that I hadn’t told her things that I had.   I wish I knew earlier how best to handle this.  I didn’t realize for a long time that she had any dementia because she would seem so with it.    Best advice go with the flow as much as possible!  
Sending hugs!  

• Like 12