S class and M class Drydocking and refresh.

D. B.

Posted (edited)

With the big $$$ spent on new Edge class ships Celebrity will never Revolutionize any More of it's older ships.

We have all figured this out and those of Us who like these ships will continue to sail on them.

I was wrong to think Celebrity would only spend the Minimum required to keep them usable.

In Business one of the Rules to be successful if Find the Demand and Fill it.

The Demand for more and better amenities for Suite Guests has Celebrity spending on the Infinity to Improve the Suite Guest experience.

This from Keith Lane Senior VP of Hotel Operations....

The enhancements to Celebrity Infinity, Particularly the Transformation of the Retreat Lounge, epitomizes our commitment to providing an unmatched experience for our (Suite- my word not his) guests, ensuring that  every journey with Celebrity Cruises is memorable.

The demand for an upgraded Suite Guest experience must be worth spending money on. 

Your Inside cabin probably got a new coat of paint.

Edited by D. B.
added content.

2 minutes ago, D. B. said:

With the big $$$ spent on new Edge class ships Celebrity will never Revolutionize any of it's older ships.

We have all figured this out and those of Us who like these ships will continue to sail on them.

I was wrong to think Celebrity would only spend the Minimum required to keep them usable.

The Demand for more and better amenities for Suite Guests has Celebrity spending on the Infinity to Improve the Suite Gust experience.

The enhancements to Celebrity Infinity, Particularly the Transformation of the Retreat Loung, epitomizes our commitment to providing an unmatched experience for our (Suite- my word not his) guests, ensuring that  every journey with Celebrity Cruises is memorable.

The demand for an upgraded Suite Guest experience must be worth spending money on. 

You Inside cabin probably got a new coat of paint.

Several of the older ships were revolutionized before covid

• Like 1

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

Several of the older ships were revolutionized before covid

Yes like Mille and Summit. The other M class ships were scheduled but the lost revenue from the Covid shutdown and the rapid buildup of the Edge class put an end to the Revolutionizing program.

I have sailed on Mille 6 times (1st. time when it was New) and Summit 3 times and I like the results of the Revolutionized program.

58 minutes ago, D. B. said:

With the big $$$ spent on new Edge class ships Celebrity will never Revolutionize any More of it's older ships.

The Demand for more and better amenities for Suite Guests has Celebrity spending on the Infinity to Improve the Suite Guest experience.

The enhancements to Celebrity Infinity, Particularly the Transformation of the Retreat Lounge, epitomizes our commitment to providing an unmatched experience for our (Suite- my word not his) guests, ensuring that  every journey with Celebrity Cruises is memorable.

Your Inside cabin probably got a new coat of paint.

I need a facelift, but that's not going to happen.  I settle for a little Botox here a little Botox there, Celebrity seems to take the same approach, I'm OK with that.

Why throw huge amounts into the M class especially, personally I love these ships, they're at 20 year old point so more or less 10-15 years in the fleet left Im guessing, probably less, max for them.  Yes they keep up with the soft goods, ie carpets, upkeep etc but to totally refurbish would be wasted money for the company.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Not sure what your point is.  

I guess it's that Celebrity finds the money to upgrade the Suite guests experience on it's older ships but not for the rest of us.

The Revolutionizing program made improvements to Mille and Summit to every part of the ship.

I can't blame them for going where the money is as that's good business.

Edited by D. B.
added content.

4 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Why throw huge amounts into the M class

There was talk in the past that they would be put up for sale, but I’ve not read anything recently.

5 hours ago, upwarduk said:

There was talk in the past that they would be put up for sale, but I’ve not read anything recently.

There has been talk of them being sold for the 8-9 years that I’m aware of. 

It will depend on the cost of the renovation 

How much does it cost to meet the port’s future environmental rules

How much does it cost to install port side electrical connections?

Will they need to install even cleaner scrubbers on the exhaust of the diesel engines ?

you would have wonder about Azarama as all their ships are just as old as m class , are they getting new builds 

17 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Why throw huge amounts into the M class especially, personally I love these ships, they're at 20 year old point so more or less 10-15 years in the fleet left Im guessing, probably less, max for them.  Yes they keep up with the soft goods, ie carpets, upkeep etc but to totally refurbish would be wasted money for the company.  

That was the hint in the Webinar from Laura when asked about upgrading.  

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That was the hint in the Webinar from Laura when asked about upgrading.  

The whole webinar was hints, no straight answers.😱

• Like 1

Equinox has a 3 1/2 week dry dock in Apr-May this year.  They are renovating 4 rooms at front of ship into "Horizon Suites."  I don't know what else is planned for the ship but have read posts about ongoing work on balconies, scraping old finishes and repainting.  I think part of the plan is to finish the "revolutionizing" on this ship.  It was only partially done due to damage at the original shipyard scheduled for it's dry dock back in 2018 or 19.  

So at least "some" work is being done on these older ships.

7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

The whole webinar was hints, no straight answers.😱

Yea ... she is an expert at glossing over a question and say nothing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I did enjoy the Millenium.  My favorite Celebrity ship.

The decor did seem very gray though ...  Perhaps a renewal vs. a Revolution would be better ...

Edited by NMTraveller

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The decor did seem very gray though ...  Perhaps a renewal vs. a Revolution would be better ...

I booked Millie based on itinerary (Bali) before I knew about the Kelly renovation.  My husband won't be happy that all the storage and shelves were taken out of the Sky Suite bathrooms and cabins.  I've warned him so he should be prepared.  I like the colors that I see on videos but why remove so much storage?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I booked Millie based on itinerary (Bali) before I knew about the Kelly renovation.  My husband won't be happy that all the storage and shelves were taken out of the Sky Suite bathrooms and cabins.  I've warned him so he should be prepared.  I like the colors that I see on videos but why remove so much storage?

The colors were a decorating fad...  Not bad,  but perhaps a timeless design would have been better...

I am painting over a similar design in my house ...

Edited by NMTraveller

23 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

On the Connie they redid some of the lounges with the grey tones , I thought it look much better than the dark colours they had before 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

On the Connie they redid some of the lounges with the grey tones , I thought it look much better than the dark colours they had before 

From one decorating fad to the next ...

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 7:21 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It will depend on the cost of the renovation 

How much does it cost to meet the port’s future environmental rules

How much does it cost to install port side electrical connections?

Will they need to install even cleaner scrubbers on the exhaust of the diesel engines ?

you would have wonder about Azarama as all their ships are just as old as m class , are they getting new builds 

The luxury lines will purchase some of the cruise lines older ships.  Probably not M class as too many passengers.

They are able to make it work as they charge more for the cruise fare.  

I was scheduled on a smaller Princess ship to Tahiti during the pandemic.  Princess sold the ship to a lux line.  The lux lines seem to be able to make it work with the older ships and the fares they charge.  The mass market lines end up charging a lot less for the older ships and not making enough revenue.

Edited by NMTraveller

19 MARCH 2024

Celebrity Infinity has returned to service following refurbishment and will spend the 2024-2025 season sailing European itineraries. 

The Celebrity Cruises vessel now has, in the rear of the ship, new Sunset Suites that include large private balconies designed specifically to give passengers the opportunity to watch the sun set during their cruise.  

The Retreat Lounge (formerly Michael’s Club) has been given a refreshed look and new colour palette for a warm and intimate atmosphere. The private restaurant Luminae at The Retreat has been expanded, giving more space for suite guests to enjoy the complimentary beverages, gourmet bites, live entertainment and more. 

“We strive to exceed guest expectations, from elevated service onboard and thoughtful amenities through to interior spaces designed to make guests feel at home in their surroundings,” said Keith Lane, senior vice president of hotel operations at Celebrity Cruises. “The enhancements to Celebrity Infinity, particularly the transformation of The Retreat Lounge, epitomises our commitment to providing an unmatched experience for our guests, ensuring that every journey with Celebrity Cruises is memorable.” 

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

19 MARCH 2024

Celebrity Infinity has returned to service following refurbishment and will spend the 2024-2025 season sailing European itineraries. 

The Celebrity Cruises vessel now has, in the rear of the ship, new Sunset Suites that include large private balconies designed specifically to give passengers the opportunity to watch the sun set during their cruise.  

The Retreat Lounge (formerly Michael’s Club) has been given a refreshed look and new colour palette for a warm and intimate atmosphere. The private restaurant Luminae at The Retreat has been expanded, giving more space for suite guests to enjoy the complimentary beverages, gourmet bites, live entertainment and more. 

“We strive to exceed guest expectations, from elevated service onboard and thoughtful amenities through to interior spaces designed to make guests feel at home in their surroundings,” said Keith Lane, senior vice president of hotel operations at Celebrity Cruises. “The enhancements to Celebrity Infinity, particularly the transformation of The Retreat Lounge, epitomises our commitment to providing an unmatched experience for our guests, ensuring that every journey with Celebrity Cruises is memorable.” 

So nothing for the minions 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

The luxury lines will purchase some of the cruise lines older ships.  Probably not M class as too many passengers.

They are able to make it work as they charge more for the cruise fare.  

I was scheduled on a smaller Princess ship to Tahiti during the pandemic.  Princess sold the ship to a lux line.  The lux lines seem to be able to make it work with the older ships and the fares they charge.  The mass market lines end up charging a lot less for the older ships and not making enough revenue.

Azamara bought R class ship from Princess, that is 2025 years old 

Azamara Journey was our first cruise ship we were on back in 2009 

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I like the Rev. changes on Mille and Summit more for the redesign/layout of the Oceanview cafe than the color changes.