Question for Recent Passengers on a RCL Ship

My DH saw some information online that recent RCL passengers were being required to wear masks.

I am not sure that he is reading the most recent cruise information.

Curious if this requirement,infdeed, 

now exists on RCL ships. 
Thank you for your responses.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

My DH saw some information online that recent RCL passengers were being required to wear masks.

now exists on RCL ships. 

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Utter rubbish. He’s probably reading something written 3 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, pcur said:

I've been on 3 different ships from November 2023 to April 2024.  There is no mandatory mask requirement.  Some passengers prefer to wear masks in crowded situations (like me) as a personal health protection choice.

I do this because I came home from a cruise late September last year with COVID, so I mask in airports, on airplanes, in crowded elevators, and other crowded places where I'm standing/sitting close to other people.  Just a personal choice.

It's funny:  I meet lots of people commenting on my blingy masks.  I put a cut down N95 mask inside the blingy mask.

Jewel?

@pcur Thank you for your kind and insightful response.

We have taken close to 20 cruises

beginning in 1987 on the Big Red Boat.

Our last cruise was June of 2024 on Celebrity Summit. We had stopped cruising during the years of Covid, but decided to take a chance and take a trip to Bermuda.

I contracted Covid on that cruise. I had intestinal symptoms that resolved in two days.Fatigue remained when we got home,so, I took  a Covid test and was positive.

It took me two weeks to fully recover.

We would like to take another cruise, but we are a bit leery about getting on another ship.

My DH is concerned about Covid given our ages and health conditions. I would be willing to take another cruise, but he has to have a positive outlook before we consider booking another one.

Today, he was looking for info regarding health situations on cruises and thought that mask mandates were back.

I did not have the same thought, hence the “discussion”.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

That’s the trouble with Google.

Type in “Do I have to wear a mask on a cruise ship” and this is what you get:

IMG_0830.thumb.png.ba5075278af539b18340411d1eb45d2f.png

Click the link and you’ll see Google has just taken a selective quote from a similar question on CC 6 months ago, and presented it totally out of context.

You can see why people get confused.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Our last cruise was June of 2024 on Celebrity Summit. We had stopped cruising during the years of Covid, but decided to take a chance and take a trip to Bermuda.

I contracted Covid on that cruise. I had intestinal symptoms that resolved in two days.Fatigue remained when we got home,so, I took  a Covid test and was positive.

We would like to take another cruise, but we are a bit leery about getting on another ship.

My DH is concerned about Covid given our ages and health conditions. I would be willing to take another cruise, but he has to have a positive outlook before we consider booking another one.

Today, he was looking for info regarding health situations on cruises and thought that mask mandates were back.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Sounds like me late last September with COVID after my cruise.  Since then I have been on 6 ships with no health problems except temporary stuffy sinuses from the a/c in my cabin.  Have your husband keep a mask with him for crowded conditions, and go cruising!!!

Keep up with the vaccinations, too.

Edited by pcur
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, pcur said:

I just got off the Jewel on 4/20. No mandatory mask requirement.

I was talking about the cruise you got off of in September 2023, not a recent cruise you took in April 2024.

Wasn't talking about mask requirements either, just wondered what ship you got off of where you got covid.

Edited by Jimbo

19 hours ago, MJSailors said:

now exists on RCL ships. 

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Off Anthem Easter sail and no masks were required.  However, some staff and passengers had masks on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MJSailors said:

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I certainly understand the concerns about getting sick. Our last cruise I got bronchitis and my husband got pneumonia, which he took almost 3 months to recover from. We, personally, choose to wear masks inside crowded areas as we are tired of others not covering up and making us sick. So far, we've gone 5 months without catching anything additional. That's a long time for us! Better for us to mask than give up traveling.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

I certainly understand the concerns about getting sick. Our last cruise I got bronchitis and my husband got pneumonia, which he took almost 3 months to recover from. We, personally, choose to wear masks inside crowded areas as we are tired of others not covering up and making us sick. So far, we've gone 5 months without catching anything additional. That's a long time for us! Better for us to mask than give up traveling.  

I got covid on my third cruise post start up. I'm very confident that the elevators had a big part in that. People cram into a small space and feel the need to talk and laugh and spread their respiratory secretions further. People just don't think.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I was talking about the cruise you got off of in September 2023, not a recent cruise you took in April 2024.

Wasn't talking about mask requirements either, just wondered what ship you got off of where you got covid.

Sorry, misunderstood your post. 

It was the Adventure, and I probably got it from one of the passengers who I spent time with and had a bad cough in the last week, or on the airplane flying home.  I was wearing a mask on the airplane, but that goopy-cough passenger was directly behind me.  I tested positive 2 days after I got home.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I got covid on my third cruise post start up. I'm very confident that the elevators had a big part in that. People cram into a small space and feel the need to talk and laugh and spread their respiratory secretions further. People just don't think.

That's why instead of wearing a mask full time like I did just after covid, I keep it with me and put it on in crowded situations on a cruise ship.  Elevators being my most "masked" venue....😁

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, MJSailors said:

now exists on RCL ships. 

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Not super recent, but DD and I were on Allure a few months ago (Nov 2023) and no mask requirements.  It was purely personal preference based on individual comfort level.  We had a couple masks packed in our suitcases just in case something popped up...but again they were not required.  This was our first sailing since we stepped off Allure days before the COVID lockdown of March 2020.

She is sailing on Symphony in a few days and I will be on Radiance in a few weeks...and there has been no indication of a mask mandate for those upcoming sailings.

Edited by SuzD123
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

That’s the trouble with Google.

Type in “Do I have to wear a mask on a cruise ship” and this is what you get:

IMG_0830.thumb.png.ba5075278af539b18340411d1eb45d2f.png

Click the link and you’ll see Google has just taken a selective quote from a similar question on CC 6 months ago, and presented it totally out of context.

You can see why people get confused.

I thought if it was on the internet, it must be true!  😄

M

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

...... Not to mention plenty of times the website is not even up to date.

Indeed. Example: I was sharing RCI's mobile app online check-in user's guide from the web site (which is two years old) with my DD's and it's still showing vaccination as a step for check-in. How many posts have there been on this board in the last six months or so asking if vaccination proof is still part of check-in based on that document?

• Thanks 1

Last year and a half we see maybe 30 people on a ship with masks.  Twelve cruises on Royal, Celebrity and Princess.  Similar to what we see in local grocery. 

• Thanks 1