The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 16th, 2024

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

Are you doing that, too?!  Just that segment or others as well?

We're going to do the whole thing! 🤞 (I can barely believe it).  Our first world cruise.  It's the first one that has ever tempted us 🙂  

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We're going to do the whole thing! 🤞 (I can barely believe it).  Our first world cruise.  It's the first one that has ever tempted us 🙂  

Oh that's awesome!  We'll be late to the party, but after we do that part, we'll have circumnavigated the globe.

Some years ago we rented a car in Lisbon and drove south and around back to Lisbon.  We fell in love with Portugal.  This time we'll head north.

I'm thrilled you'll be onboard!  😊

• Like 16

Before I could get out in the port to move some big boxes around, the rain came shortly after 10am.  Right now, we are in a lull between areas of heavy rain.  Both rain gauges seem to agree we received more than 1/2 inch, and it was really coming down along with a strong north wind.  I could see the rain hitting the port way under the roof.  I just looked and the grass seed I put down in some bare spots was still there, and did not wash away.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy May Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.

Three very good days to celebrate.  I have not cruised to Korea but had a couple days stopover in Seoul on the way to Bali in 2014.  A great day in religious history.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Grilled Herb Strip Loin Steak, and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam May 16, 2016.

Not the best of starts to the morning , On heading out to my walk I skinned my hand and got a huge gash that required about 20 minutes for bleeding control.  Started out chilly but will rise to almost 80 this afternoon.

Roy

Roy, I'm sorry you hurt your hand, but glad you got the bleeding under control.

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Well lovely - my post disappeared. Take 2...

Currently 72° headed to a wet 75°. It's spittering now w/rains expected to arrive around 11, so I should be driving in it going to/from eye dr for today's procedure - oh joy. 🙄 nothing more fun than driving in a rainstorm during a flood watch, unless maybe a tornado 🌪 watch; thank goodness we don't have that today.

Stars 🏒lost, Mavericks🏀 won last night so we go to game 6 in both series. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240516_065424.thumb.jpg.bbe8850c300e715db007e3351f1dde08.jpg

Elizabeth, I hope the eye procedure goes well, and I hope you do not have much trouble getting there and home with all this rain.

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Elders should be honoured every day, no matter who they are or who they love.  Definitely appreciate light and living in peace.  

It's a foggy time out there for us this morning; maybe it had something to do with the rains that came late yesterday evening.  At first I thought it was smoke from the forest fires, but when I opened the door to get the paper, realized it was fog.  And, I just heard on the radio that a couple of moose have been spotted about a mile from here and that police and animal control are trying to direct them to the river - I wonder if we'll see them in the park at the end of our block when they finally decide to follow the river northward?  

@aliaschief and @DWAliaschiefwishing you a very Happy 32nd Anniversary; let the love and laughter continue!  What a memorable way to spend your anniversary - thanks so much for the photos, I'm totally enjoying your voyage.

I've got a couple of things to do today - heading out on the stepladder to clear off the winter spruce needle drop from the shed at the end of our deck, and while I'm on the ladder, will clean out a portion of our neighbour's gutter that looks full of needles as well.  Looking at the branches, I'm thinking we might have to hire someone to clip some of the overhanging branches or they'll start interfering with the neighbour's shingles.  

I'd like to try the drink of the day (vodka and cranberry juice always go nicely together), say yes to the wine, and we've had Mizuna in salads when we were in Japan - it's a nice change from regular lettuce, but I haven't seen it around here.   The other day I bought a couple of packages of barbecue pork button bones that will be cooked in the oven and served along with baked potatoes and green beans at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and in the paths of destructive storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

Gerry, please be careful on the ladder.  I hope your DH will be holding the ladder while you are on it.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

3 good days to think about. Funny quote. I'll pass on the meal and the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Incheon. A good day in history. 

It's cloudy here, 69F, with 76% humidity. I think there's supposed to be sun later. I guess I was tired yesterday. I slept until about 6am, posted the Cares List, then fell back asleep until 8:30! I intend to not do much today except maybe catch up on some recordings from my DVR. I was sore yesterday, as I've been doing a lot more in taking care of BFF. But the leg has been doing well, with no pain and a bit of numbness from the knee down occasionally.

@aliaschief and @DWAliaschief Happy Anniversary! Thanks for the photos of the progressive dinner.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you and your fellow crafters found a better time to come together.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you're lining up fun things to do, and I know you'll manage the eye routine amongst your goings on. Sorry to hear your DGD had a kidney stone, but glad that she passed it. Those columbines are lovely.

@rafinmd Oh no! Are you ok?

@Haljo1935 Best of luck with your eye procedure today.

@ger_77 Be careful on the ladder. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos from South Korea.

@marshhawk Thinking of you and DH.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you're feeling better today.

@kazu I hope here's less pain today and that you are getting some answers to your issue.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you are taking today easy, after the busy last few days.  It's good news your leg is not hurting, and there is very little numbness.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Three worthy days to celebrate today.  I'll pass on the red wine and the meal, but would like to try the drink.  Have not been to Seoul, thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser for the great photos.  

Today is also our oldest grandson's 11th birthday.  Where has the time gone?? 

Our weather has turned cloudy, drippy and cooler, so no gardening today unless it improves this afternoon.  We do have to get groceries, but that's all on the agenda for now.

Happy 32nd anniversary Bruce and Sue @aliaschief!

Roy @rafinmd Yikes about the bleeding!  Did you take a fall or scrape your hand on something?  Take care.

Carolyn, please wish your grandson a  🎈  VERY HAPPY 11TH BIRTHDAY  🎈  for us.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's a grey day today and I have no plans for going anywhere so that's ok. 

@aliaschief and @DWAliaschief Happy Anniversary! 32 years is quite the accomplishment. 

Mostly routine things around here. I did the two water classes at the pool yesterday and then wandered the big box store for a bit getting in my steps. I did but a lovely bouquet of tulips and a few other things. I was getting the tulips into a vase and felt a sting on the underside of my wrist. Saw a small spot so something got me. All is well. 

PT on Tuesday went well and I'm making progress on the stuck hip flexor muscle. Now if I could just get people to stop commenting on my gait and trying to offer advice. I'm not very confrontational at all and most people have no idea that my pain level has really decreased, that I am walking better and the leg feels better, etc. Oh well, I'll figure it out! Meanwhile 17 days until the Majestic Princess and a week away. 

Today is getting housework done and working on grad cards. I send a card to all my former students I can track down that are graduating. I'm getting confirmations from friends, etc. about the status of many so getting the cards done and ready to go is on the top of the list. Grad is June 7th and I had 24 kids that year. My last class graduates next year. 

Karen

Karen, that is good news you are walking better and that the leg feels better.  I guess you won't be able to stop people from commenting, but you could just smile and say "thank you, but what I am doing is working as I'm walking better and the leg feels better".

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, richwmn said:
6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the Day - The Prisoner Red Blend

I agree that The Prisoner is a very good wine.  As another, somewhat similar wine, I would suggest the Ridge Lytton Springs bottling.  

IMG_3014.jpg.b5c30d7a1e4d8e063d7f750e23650630.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg.7e77b530393986c7f985530761dbb293.jpg

Ridge is a very highly regarded winery,  While it produces wines from multiple grape varieties, it seemed to build its reputation on Zinfandel bottlings.  In the 1990s Zinfandel buffs referred to the "Three Rs" -- Ravenswood, Ridge and Rosenblum.  Of three, Ridge now stands alone.  (Ravenswood has ceased operations, and Rosenblum just seems to have lost its way.)  I have been enjoying Ridge wines since the 1970s.  It has never let me down.

Lytton Springs is a historic Dry Creek Valley vineyard.  It was originally planted (to multiple varieties in the the first decade of the 20th Century.  Ridge started bottling wines from Lytton Springs in 1972 and purchased the vineyard in 1991.  

Ridge produces varietal wines--e.g., Merlot, Petite Sirah, Zinfandel--from this same vineyard under the name "Lytton Estate."  The "Lytton Springs" bottling is a "field blend"--i.e., multiple varieties from the vineyard are harvested at the same time and co-fermented.  You may or may not be able to read on the front label of this one that it is a blend of 72% Zinfandel, 18% Petite Sirah, 8% Carignane and 2% Mataro.

Ridge Lytton Springs is a tad more expensive than The Prisoner, but it is widely distributed.  Anybody who lives near a Total Wine store can probably find it there.  If you can't find this bottling, I also enthusiastically recommend the Ridge Geyserville (another field blend) or the Pagani Ranch Zinfandel wines.

One last thing.  Notice on the rear label, they actually print the ingredient deck.  Not too many wineries do that.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.... just barely. Sunny and cool....not bad at all.

I took the dogs out to board this morning.... they were really excited and bounced right into the kennel. Guess I don't really have to worry about leaving them. I am headed down to New Mexico to the dog show in Farmington. Hopefully I will be back on Sunday evening and can pick up the dogs then. Speaking of dog shows.... I watched Westminster.... did any of you see that little Agility dog named Nimble run?? Incredible. Glad to see an "all American" win for a change. He is a border collie cross but still a cross. I keep telling people with mix-breeds you can have so much fun with them.

Better get to packing. Will try to check in while away.... but I never know how I will do.

Susan

• Like 23

23 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, please wish your grandson a  🎈  VERY HAPPY 11TH BIRTHDAY  🎈  for us.

Thank you Lenda, I will!  🙂  

24 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Oh that's awesome!  We'll be late to the party, but after we do that part, we'll have circumnavigated the globe.

Some years ago we rented a car in Lisbon and drove south and around back to Lisbon.  We fell in love with Portugal.  This time we'll head north.

I'm thrilled you'll be onboard!  😊

And I'm thrilled to meet you -- as I recall, there was a near-miss not long ago. 🙂  

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Oh geez - I think the need for bubble wrap continues.🫣 Hope it heals quickly w/no complications. 

DH frequently comes home with rather large dried blood "trails" and says he wasn't aware he'd done anything when I point them out. I'm sure it's a consequence of the blood thinner he now takes.

Mine did too but now he's off the anti-coagulants.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

I took the dogs out to board this morning.... they were really excited and bounced right into the kennel. Guess I don't really have to worry about leaving them. I am headed down to New Mexico to the dog show in Farmington. Hopefully I will be back on Sunday evening and can pick up the dogs then. Speaking of dog shows.... I watched Westminster.... did any of you see that little Agility dog named Nimble run?? Incredible. Glad to see an "all American" win for a change. He is a border collie cross but still a cross. I keep telling people with mix-breeds you can have so much fun with them.

Better get to packing. Will try to check in while away.... but I never know how I will do.

Susan

I had to laugh at your dogs 'bouncing into the kennel'  -- took our dog to his groomer which is also where he boards....he wanted to go in the house not the grooming barn....

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Susan

Susan, safe travels to Farmington, and enjoy the dog show.  I also laughed about the dogs bouncing into their kennel.  We were lucky that our DDs would keep our dogs when we traveled, and the dogs were very happy.  When our older DD and DSIL had to travel, they boarded their dog and our dog at their vets.  The dogs were in the same kennel, and were very pampered.

Lenda

• Like 16

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ............................, International Day of Light, ......................

Electricity Humor - Educational Innovations Blog

Electricity Humor - Educational Innovations Blog

125 High-Voltage Electrician Jokes to Electrify You | Bored Panda

My Favorite Postcards: A Few Electricity Puns

Electricity jokes – Jokes by Scout Life

7 Electricity Jokes ideas | jokes, punny, electricity

Electricty jokes, Save 67% enormous deal - www.tybreton.com

• Like 3
  • Haha 27

Good Afternoon, thanks for today’s report.  I just finished a day full of meetings and may need an adult beverage. 
I saw this on my feed and thought of the gardeners in this group. It gave me a chuckle.

image.thumb.png.3589fcf164e3cc6e91f8221aa7ab8b3d.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 18

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy May Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.

Three very good days to celebrate.  I have not cruised to Korea but had a couple days stopover in Seoul on the way to Bali in 2014.  A great day in religious history.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Grilled Herb Strip Loin Steak, and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam May 16, 2016.

Not the best of starts to the morning , On heading out to my walk I skinned my hand and got a huge gash that required about 20 minutes for bleeding control.  Started out chilly but will rise to almost 80 this afternoon.

Roy

Sorry to hear about your injury Roy.

I know you have sailed on Royal Caribbean and I just heard 2 weeks ago

Captain James McDonald had a heart attack on Harmony of the seas and was medivaced to Cozumel but sadly died.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 12

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear about your injury Roy.

I know you have sailed on Royal Caribbean and I just heard 2 weeks ago

Captain James McDonald had a heart attack on Harmony of the seas and was medivaced to Cozumel but sadly died.

I think I have sailed with McDonald.  May he rest in peace.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

...Elizabeth, I hope the eye procedure goes well, and I hope you do not have much trouble getting there and home with all this rain.  

Thanks for the positive thoughts - 2 1/2 hours at eye dr resulted in me reading an eye chart, no procedure done and being sent home w/more drops & wipes to help clean the pollen from eyelids plus 2 Rx called in. Told to reschedule in 2 weeks hoping my allergies would be cleared up. She said the procedure would not be effective and would be more painful due to the current condition of my eyes because of the allergies. 

Also told to go to up to 4x/day on the $85 drops and do the new $25 drops every 1 to 2 hours. I need another income source just to fund the eye drops...

She also mentioned a plug that she could insert today or anytime. I watched the graphics she showed me & listened to explanation then declined. I need to spend some time researching and read reviews since I've never heard of it. This is in addition to the 4-step procedure she's already doing, not in lieu of.

So I'm now off to drive 🏡 in the 🌧 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

IMG_0509.thumb.jpeg.83334a9b0e6ae906fc9c3e1e0c221145.jpeg Celebrate! The work of these elders enabled my beautiful goddaughter to marry her wonderful wife.IMG_0512.jpeg.c522604cb98c23351eb3e747a67793a6.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Fabulous, and good to be reminded!  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Today has been a good day to stay inside.  It's rained almost continuously, and very hard at times.  Both rain gauges are reading 1 inch, and water is standing in the yard in many places.  We've also had lightning, thunder and winds.  Our temperature has dropped to 67F.

Driving back from Fort Worth the other day, we commented on how green everything is.  However, by July and August, most everything will be brown.  It's nice not to have to water, but I know other areas need the rain more than we do.  

This weeks edition of our weekly newspaper showed that the water level in our lake was 541 feet.  Normal is 533 feet, which means most the state park and most of the Corps of Engineers parks are closed or have areas closed.  Most of the boat ramps are closed, and in some parks the day use areas and part of the campgrounds are closed, while some of the parks are completely closed.  This is what happens when we get a lot of rain, since our lake is a flood control lake.

Lenda

• Like 15

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

...Speaking of dog shows.... I watched Westminster.... did any of you see that little Agility dog named Nimble run?? Incredible. Glad to see an "all American" win for a change. He is a border collie cross but still a cross. I keep telling people with mix-breeds you can have so much fun with them...

Favorite dog we have had was a Border Collie mix. It was fun to watch him "work" in the yard, so pretty when they run & cut. He was a brilliant, delightful dog. Thanks for the reminder of how special Border Collies are.❤️

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Happy birthday to your DGS @Cruising-along!  How exciting about the world cruise!

Thank you Brenda!

Today the company that installed our furnace and A/C came out to do the yearly check.  While here he reminded us that my plants and flowers have to be a minimum of 3 feet from the A/C or the warranty would be voided -- hmm.  So this afternoon I ripped out ferns (they pop up everywhere naturally, I never planted them), and cut back an Azalea that was getting close to being too close, along with several other things.  I had forgotten all about that rule, and honestly this would have been the first time I could have gotten back there anyway (weather).  It will be at least another month or longer before we need the A/C so no harm done. I hate ripping out perfectly good plants, but...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

No fall.  I was closing the front door and grabbed the door knob the wrong way, getting the back of my hand way too close to the door jamb.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

OK on all three of the days. The salad would be OK if I could get mizuna without growing it myself. No on the pseudotini. For the wine, Chase's Reserve from Glenora. Chase, the winery's spokespup until he crossed the Rainbow Bridge in 2016, survived Hurricane Katrina and lived on the streets before being rescued and then rehabilitated in Florida. A part of the proceeds from each bottle goes to Humane Society.

ChasesReserve251x5701.png.a79d6e13bf1eac5a61560a3c7110d5ec.png

The current spokespup, GG, was rescued from a construction dumpster and has her picture on a white blend.

I was looking earlier at Holland America's transatlantic itineraries for the spring of 2025, and I think someone was half asleep. As is HAL practice, there are multiple itineraries for each sailing: the transatlantic portion alone, and extensions of it that add ports in Europe. But the descriptions for the 14-day TATL-only itineraries include references to ports that are only in the longer itineraries. For example, a 14-day itinerary to Barcelona includes Tangier but also mentions Rome and the Côte d'Azur, even though only the longer itineraries call anywhere in Italy or France.

waitingforheaven.jpg.5e81ff5bfa4515591fbd9fad2ac8188b.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 8
  • Haha 5