The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 20th, 2024

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  When I wake up I always have to check my computer to see what day it is!  For all Canadians:

ScreenShot2024-05-20at07_53_38.thumb.png.e3e7aeaa440946aab4be09f1bd35d5ab.png

I have always said my last husband thought I was Eliza Doolittle but he didn't like that I became a lady so I will definitely celebrate the day.  HR? Some are ok and others - not so much!  I refuse to even acknowledge the other day as it is mean and cruel!  Not sure of the quote, yes to the meal, no to the wine, never been to the port, cool about Lindbergh and Spritz!  ❤️ I found it when I backpacked Italy 3 years ago and it is my go to drink on a BHB.

IMG_2630.thumb.jpg.4539284d848af3cb600e962007b2df00.jpg

We will be cooler today but still very nice.  Presently it is 77F under mostly cloudy skies on our way up to ~90F. We will get some wind today at almost 20 knots.  

I did go to both farmer's markets yesterday (but didn't see my old boyfriend!  LOL!!).  Ended the day with over 1000 steps which, according to my research, is about 1/2 a mile. I do have to remember to walk upright and I am using a walking stick.  @JazzyV I didn't get any "don't drive" instructions on discharge but I am not a very good patient anyway.  🥴 My legs are sore/achy as I am using them more and/or in a different way than pre-surgery.  I probably should lie down more during the day but that is so hard; I am not a napper and lying down just goes against my grain! I took off the large opsite yesterday; it was irritating my skin and I do have some abrasions from where I was scratching.  But it doesn't look too bad - no redness but lots of itchy skin!! I am not a fan of the shower chair so I think the purchase was a waste.  🤷‍♀️

I have a torn earring hole that I have to get fixed so I inquired with a dermatologist/plastic surgeon to see about the cost of a repair.  Waiting on a call back.  

ScreenShot2024-05-19at15_24_11.thumb.png.7eee2f0786d894aeb0aeecbb7c6e4d70.png

I need to figure out where to place the motion sensor flood light that arrived yesterday.  The lock will arrive today.  I did let the management company know about the intrusion.  I am pretty sure it was some homeless person as you can't see my place from the street and I have seen homeless people traipsing around our parking lot in the past.  

Thoughts for @kazu @RMLincoln and @JazzyV BFF with their medical concerns.  Cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great .......... that's right, it is Monday........day!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

It's a beautiful morning, lots of sunshine for the whole day.  I was going to get my hair cut today (very much needed, last time was on the ship 6 weeks ago) but I've decided to put it off until tomorrow when the weather isn't as nice. 😉  

I'll pass on the drink but would like the wine and the meal -- especially the last recipe.  Have never been to Japan, thanks for ANY photos!

HAPPY VICTORIA DAY to our Canadian friends!  DH was commenting on the number of Canadian license plates on the road (we live fairly close to the border) I was able to inform him of the holiday because I learned it here 😉  People out and about, and shopping!

Lorraine @cruising sister Darn, I didn't like hearing that you've canceled the '26 World.  I knew it was a possibility, from talking to you, but I'm still disappointed we won't be seeing you. 😞  BTW, I see that you and Caron @Cruiserclwill be on another cruise with Carla!  I'm sure she'll come up with some fabulous private tours like she did for the GANZ!  Jealous!

@Heartgrove I'm so sorry to hear that Sam fell down the stairs -- so sad to see our pets failing.  😞  

@marshhawk Wow on Mama cat in heat already!  I'm looking forward to any kitten photos you can share. 🙂 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Those cake displays always overwhelm me haha -- and I always seem to choose one that isn't so great.  Your choices sounded great!

For the Garden Club, thought I'd get a pic of these Azaleas before they fade. 🙂  

Azaleas2024.thumb.jpg.7d0666b0b2a8783bed63182cee942ebc.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Sorry to hear about your back pain today and I hope the Ibuprofen works for it.

Thank you. I'm just in from the last bit of mowing.

• Like 18

Good morning and thank all! Happy Victoria Day on a drizzly day, but our province is glad because it’s helping the fires! 

@ger_77 hoping Maurice is recovering well.   Just a thought on the delay, perhaps there was a reason like a panic attack.  Those can happen, although wouldn’t be anyone’s intention.  We never really know what is going on in others’ lives. 

@Cruising-along beautiful flowers! 

@Heartgrove hope poor Sam is ok! Heartbreaking!

@smitty34877 glad you have a place that gives some solace!  Pace yourself! 

Love hearing all the cruising plans! 

@marshhawk love the photo, here’s another of Lake Louise named after Queen Victoria's daughter.   Very appropriate for Victoria Day. 

IMG_2555.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Got back from the dog shows yesterday evening and picked up the dogs on the way home. They seemed happy to see me, but they do like the excitement of boarding. The shows went well without incident but I am tired. I think this will be the last year I will go down to Farmington to work them. Just too much of a mental strain.

Weather there was hot.... in Durango it is cooler. Today's high will maybe be 70 and it was just above freezing when I walked the dogs about 6:30. It is supposed to stay that way and dry the rest of week. Flowers are slow blooming this year. I will take it for now and hope the lawn survives.

Off to unpack, do laundry and put things away in the right places. I would like the salad. Would not draw Mohammad even if I could draw. That seems to be needlessly mean suggestion.

Will try to keep up during the day.... someway I think my pace today will be slow.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad you got home safely and that the dogs were glad to see you.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'll celebrate Eliza Doolittle, will respect the religious beliefs and won't draw Mohammad, and have a dear friend who worked in Human Resources for most of her career - not an easy job.

Happy Victoria day to my fellow Canadians - I hope you enjoy this long weekend!

It's a cloudy, windy morning out there for us and according to the forecast, we have a 65% chance of rain today.  Last night the temperature went down to +1 so we covered the Boston fern and dipladenia that DH decided to put out yesterday; the rest of the plants came in and are hanging out in the dining room.  

@Heartgroveoh my gosh, my heart hurt when I read that Sam fell down the stairs; that's sad.

@kazuplease take it easy and only do a little until you can find out exactly what's wrong with your foot!

@57redbirdI've been meaning to ask how your mouth is after your major dental implant surgery?  I hope it's healing well.

@Quartzsite Cruisergood luck to you at the dentist's this afternoon.

We heard from DH's daughter yesterday (she was flying to PV for dental work); the plane was delayed in Calgary because just before the aircraft was to depart, someone decided they didn't want to go to Mexico after all.  Who does that???  The flight was delayed 1.5 hours while they took all the luggage out to find the reluctant passenger's suitcases.  She was not impressed, nor would I have been!

Before Christmas DH and I decided that we didn't need anything, so we purchased tickets to "It's a Kinda Magic", a tribute to Queen - I bought the tickets as soon as they were available so we were able to get 2nd row from stage, directly in the middle.  Well, the concert is Friday night and I'm certainly not going to be taking DH out to mingle, push and shove at a large venue like that right after his surgery, so I'm giving the tickets to our friends Wayne and Fran.  I'm sure DH has totally forgotten that we even had them, so I'm not even going to tell him about it.  Although Wayne was insistent about paying for them, I declined, saying rather that they could take us out for dinner once Maurice was feeling better.   

I will definitely accept the drink of the day (my go-to cocktail in the summer), will pass on the wine, and we have salads at least 4 times a week, often using spring mix with whatever else is in the fridge.  Wayne wanted us to come over for a burger barbecue today, but knows DH is isolating, so he said they would barbecue and deliver dinner for us tonight - how sweet is that?  I'm sure we'll enjoy whatever he and Fran cook up for us at the table on our deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, or in the path of destructive storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!   ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I can't believe someone wanted off the plane at the last minute, and caused a 1 1/2 hour delay.  It's nice of Wayne and Fran are bringing you dinner tonight.  Thanks for the good wishes for this afternoon.

2 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Good Morning to all the Dailyites! 
Thank you for all the Victoria Day wishes from our American friends.

We were actually in today’s port of Miyako 3 weeks ago today. This was our first trip to Japan and loved it and the Japanese people. 

On arrival at the port we had many locals out to great us, including schoolchildren and dancers. When we left many townspeople lined the port to wave us off. (Very poor picture taken from the dining room shown). This happened at multiple ports in Japan and warmed our hearts each time.
This is a small town which suffered flooding and great losses in the tsunami  of 2011. In the years since they have built amazing infrastructure to protect against this happening again. 
We walked about 10 kilometres passing a lot of the new building to get to Jodogahama Beach. It was a beautiful sunny day. Sorry I don’t have any pictures of the town area.

IMG_3391.jpeg

IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3394.jpeg

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

Good luck at the dentist!  I'm 4 days out & don't look like my DH punched me in the mouth - go back on the 30th to get the sutures out.

Thanks for the good wishes.  As of right now, I don't go back for the next appointment until late August.  When I had the first implant 20 years ago, they used dissolving stitches.

45 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Happy Victoria Day to all Canadians. I like the character Eliza Doolittle; I'm a big My Fair Lady fan. HR can be an important department, if run well. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine. I haven't been to Miyako. An important day in history.

It's partly sunny right now, and already 76F. It's going to be hot. I'm starting to gather some things to take with me tomorrow, in preparation for staying at BFF's house. It's confirmed we have to be at the hospital at 5AM! My stomach was upset yesterday and I don't know why. So I'm eating gingerly today, as I don't need that today or tomorrow. It's 4 weeks today since my back surgery! I can't see the incision, so BFF has been taking photos of it for me.

@superoma I hope your cough goes away soon.

@MISTER 67 I can commiserate with you on the knee pain. Good luck with your golf game today.

@StLouisCruisers I hope you can fight off the possible cold. Those cakes look delicious, especially the chocolate ones. 

@0106 Thanks for the explanation. I've never seen South Park.

@smitty34877 I'm glad you got a bit of a break this weekend. I hope your week goes smoothly. 

@kazu Don't try to do too much in the garden. Thanks for the wishes, although it's BFF that's having surgery tomorrow.

@Heartgrove I'm sorry to hear that Sam fell down the steps last night. 

@ottahand7 I'm glad you had a safe and pleasant trip to the cabin.

@aliaschief I hope your lower back is feeling better soon.

@marshhawk Oh no on mama cat in heat again. 

@kochleffel Sorry to hear about your back pain today and I hope the Ibuprofen works for it.

@durangoscots I'm glad you're home safely, and I'm sure the dogs were happy to see you.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good luck at the dentist today.

@ger_77 I've not heard of someone deciding they want to get off the plane at the last minute, then inconveniencing all the other passengers by a delay. I hope Maurice is feeling better. Nice of Wayne to offer to bring dinner over.

@sunviking90 Welcome back to the Daily and thanks for sharing your photos!

@Copper10-8 Great photos and video of Eliza Doolittle.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, thanks for the good wishes today.  When DH had his back surgeries and shunt placement, I took pictures of the incisions as they healed.  I hope your stomach feels better, and I also hope BFF's surgery goes well tomorrow, and he can begin healing.  I don't envy you the 5am arrival time.  I'm glad you are staying with him for a while.

Lenda

• Like 22

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Good Morning to all the Dailyites! 
Thank you for all the Victoria Day wishes from our American friends.

We were actually in today’s port of Miyako 3 weeks ago today. This was our first trip to Japan and loved it and the Japanese people. 

On arrival at the port we had many locals out to great us, including schoolchildren and dancers. When we left many townspeople lined the port to wave us off. (Very poor picture taken from the dining room shown). This happened at multiple ports in Japan and warmed our hearts each time.
This is a small town which suffered flooding and great losses in the tsunami  of 2011. In the years since they have built amazing infrastructure to protect against this happening again. 
We walked about 10 kilometres passing a lot of the new building to get to Jodogahama Beach. It was a beautiful sunny day. Sorry I don’t have any pictures of the town area.

IMG_3391.jpeg

IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3394.jpeg

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

Nice photos and Happy Victoria day to you.

Graham from England UK.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thank all! Happy Victoria Day on a drizzly day, but our province is glad because it’s helping the fires! 

@ger_77 hoping Maurice is recovering well.   Just a thought on the delay, perhaps there was a reason like a panic attack.  Those can happen, although wouldn’t be anyone’s intention.  We never really know what is going on in others’ lives. 

@Cruising-along beautiful flowers! 

@Heartgrove hope poor Sam is ok! Heartbreaking!

@smitty34877 glad you have a place that gives some solace!  Pace yourself! 

Love hearing all the cruising plans! 

@marshhawk love the photo, here’s another of Lake Louise named after Queen Victoria's daughter.   Very appropriate for Victoria Day. 

IMG_2555.jpeg

Thank you for the kind words about Sam. We knew going in that his hip dysplasia would be the undoing. He has lost so much muscle in his rear legs that he is able to walk on all fours but the rear legs are basically dragged. He has an uneven gait (if that makes sense) where all four legs are almost independent when he walks. He did not hesitate going down the stairs this morning so he has not gotten to the point of being afraid of them.

Your photo is nicely composed. It reminds me of our land trip to Lake Louise and Banff in 2005. We were younger then and able to do the hike up to the Lake Agnes Tea House. We also witnessed an avalanche which was miles away to the left in your photo.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the Day - 2021 Pinot Blanc, Haus Klosterberg, Markus Molitor, Mosel

h

Hmm. A Pinot Blanc from "Riesling Country."

I like to say that California has such a wide range of geography and climate that any grape variety can be successfully grown somewhere in the state.  However, I am completely unaware of anybody in the state that releases a Pinot Blanc varietal bottling.  I guess that if I looked hard enough, I could find a maker who adds some Pinot Blanc into a blend.  @kochleffel did a g od job of finding a Finger Lakes example.  When you think of it, the Finger Lakes region is also well-regarded as a source for Riesling.  So, some things are starting to make sense, now.  

I enjoyed this white blend a few weeks ago.

IMG_2951.jpg.c78f1959064955689a79723b395eeba3.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg.350f70e3c01c8ff2c6fe4e7f5fe831c9.jpg 

As you can see from the back label, this wine is a field blend (Do you remember field blends?) made from Riesling, Trousseau Gris and Gewurztraminer.  So, I am stretching, a bit, by offering this wine, but those grapes would be found in the Alsace, which is one area that immediately comes to mind when I think of Pinot Blanc.  (The other area would be Northern Italy--Alto Adige or Sudtirol.)  

Carrying the "That wine from There? question a bit further, Sonoma Valley, where the grapes for this Carlisle wine were grown is more well-known as "Zinfandel Country" than anything else.  Even more off track, Mike Officer, owner and winemaker of Carlisle, is regarded as one of the best Zinfandel makers around.  All that notwithstanding, I, very much, enjoyed this Compagni Portis bottling.  Fruity and refreshing.  A terrific summer wine.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

@marshhawk, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @ger_77, @57redbird, @Haljo1935

Thank you all for the concern towards Sam. I am so glad he rallied when we had made the decision to put him down March 4 and were able to change our mind! At some point though there will be a time when ...

Right now we take it day by day. This morning he was so silly getting us up to feed him at 6:30 this morning. Head butting me to let me know what he wanted. And I have two 25 lb. bags of food for him to finish first!

Happy to see us again after our cruise last week.

IMG_E19911.thumb.JPG.a12dd4e84d552284f5fac9dd7e3c0dfc.JPG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you all for the concern towards Sam. I am so glad he rallied when we had made the decision to put him down March 4 and were able to change our mind! At some point though there will be a time when ...

Right now we take it day by day. This morning he was so silly getting us up to feed him at 6:30 this morning. Head butting me to let me know what he wanted. And I have two 25 lb. bags of food for him to finish first!

I'm happy Sam has rallied Jack.

He is a lovely dog.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Just to educate us Yanks:

Victoria Day / Fete de la Reine, literally 'Celebration of the Queen', is a federal Canadian public holiday observed on the last Monday preceding May 25 to honor HRH Queen Victoria (24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901), who is known as the "Mother of Confederation". The holiday has existed in Canada since at least 1845, originally on Victoria's natural birthday, May 24. It falls on the Monday between the 18th and the 24th (inclusive) and, so, is always the penultimate Monday of May (May 20 in 2024 and May 19 in 2025). Victoria Day is a federal statutory holiday, as well as a holiday in six of Canada's ten provinces and all three of its territories. The holiday has always been a distinctly Canadian observance and continues to be celebrated across the country. It is informally considered the start of the summer season in Canada.

Victoria wearing a lace cap and diamond jewellery

Happy victoria day canada instagram post Template | PosterMyWall

And finally; Go Canucks, beat the Oilers tonite in Game 7 😉 

Official Vancouver Canucks Website | Vancouver Canucks

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Jacqui, I am concerned there is still so much pain. If you don’t hear back today you need to call them. If the infection was cleared up the pain should be gone. Did they do an MRI?

there is no one to call today.  It’s a holiday.  I’m sure if need be the vascular surgeon will find out tomorrow - doubt I will have time between when my doctor’s office opens and travel time,

no on the MRI.  Big wait.  X-ray was done and it should show it.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu Don't try to do too much in the garden. Thanks for the wishes, although it's BFF that's having surgery tomorrow.

I didn’t.  I failed, but I did get the fencing in - does that count?

oops apologies for missing your DH in my post 😞

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

that’s all you can do Jack and the best approach.  Good to hear he is still feeling his oats with his the head butting.  Hang in there ❤️

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Azaleas2024.thumb.jpg.7d0666b0b2a8783bed63182cee942ebc.jpg

GORGEOUS ❤️❤️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Such a sweet picture. 

I love that he head butts you - our fur babies instinctively know the way to our hearts.💕 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Re:  Victoria Day

I learned this little ditty years ago, and somehow, it stuck in my head (that's why there isn't room for more important stuff)

The 24th of May

is the Queen's birthday

If we don't get a holiday

we'll all run away!

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

Good afternoon.  I survived the dentist visit, but have been taking it easy since I got home.  I've said before, I really like my dentist, and I'm so glad he does implants and I don't have to go to Waco.  Originally he planned to pull the two teeth and put in the bone graft material.  After he administered the three shots of anesthetic, he asked if I wanted the implants done too if there was enough healthy bone.  Naturally, I said yes.  He checked the x-rays from my last visit, and found he could do the implants too.  That will save one visit.

The dentist is good and fast.  Once he started, it was less than 30 minutes before the teeth were out, the bone graft material and the implants were in, and he'd finished with the stitches.  I go back in a week for them to check the incision site, but otherwise, that's it until late August.  I'm still bleeding, probably a bit more that I should be, but I think I did something to dislodge the clot.  I also learned something new.  If the dental gauze does not stop the bleeding, moisten a tea bag and put it on the wound.  The tannins in the tea help promote clotting.  It was interesting since the only tea bags I have family size.  I know I have a big mouth, but it's not that big.  Right now, I'm not keeping anything in my mouth and seeing how that goes.  I think the bleeding is slowing down.  

I'm still partially numb which makes drinking fun.  I almost need a bib. I'm just glad the worst is behind me.  The Dental tech showed me the extracted teeth, but I told her they could keep them.  I doubt the tooth fairy would visit me at my age anyway.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just to educate us Yanks:

Victoria Day / Fete de la Reine, literally 'Celebration of the Queen', is a federal Canadian public holiday observed on the last Monday preceding May 25 to honor HRH Queen Victoria (24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901), who is known as the "Mother of Confederation". The holiday has existed in Canada since at least 1845, originally on Victoria's natural birthday, May 24. It falls on the Monday between the 18th and the 24th (inclusive) and, so, is always the penultimate Monday of May (May 20 in 2024 and May 19 in 2025). Victoria Day is a federal statutory holiday, as well as a holiday in six of Canada's ten provinces and all three of its territories. The holiday has always been a distinctly Canadian observance and continues to be celebrated across the country. It is informally considered the start of the summer season in Canada.

Victoria wearing a lace cap and diamond jewellery

Happy victoria day canada instagram post Template | PosterMyWall

And finally; Go Canucks, beat the Oilers tonite in Game 7 😉 

Official Vancouver Canucks Website | Vancouver Canucks

Thanks  for your lovely explanation.   Giggling about the playoffs,  even though we’re from Alberta we can’t cheer for Edmonton. So Canuck’s it is! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bennybear said:

........................................  Giggling about the playoffs,  even though we’re from Alberta we can’t cheer for Edmonton. So Canuck’s it is! 

YES!!!!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2