Aquaclass - is the service better than the food?

Posted (edited)

I’ve just returned from 14 nights onboard Celebrity Eclipse. I used the move up program to successfully bid on an Aquaclass stateroom. 

What are people’s thoughts on the food quality and selection in Blu?

I found myself ordering from the main restaurant menu while in Blu more often than not. Does anyone else do this?

I can’t fault the service in Blu. Some of the best I’ve had at sea!

I’ve made a video about my experience, it is quite a long video but if you’re interested in seeing the food quality then it might be worth a watch. Wait till you see the “afternoon tea!” 🤣

Edited by luv2cruzuk
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luv2cruzuk said:

I’ve just returned from 14 nights onboard Celebrity Eclipse. I used the move up program to successfully bid on an Aquaclass stateroom. 

What are people’s thoughts on the food quality and selection in Blu?

I found myself ordering from the main restaurant menu while in Blu more often than not. Does anyone else do this?

I can’t fault the service in Blu. Some of the best I’ve had at sea!

I’ve made a video about my experience, it is quite a long video but if you’re interested in seeing the food quality then it might be worth a watch. Wait till you see the “afternoon tea!” 🤣

I skipped the long video, but I can say that we did a MoveUp to AQ for the first time ever on Solstice last December and I ordered something off the MDR menu every evening when we dined at Blu. Nice service and ambiance but I didn’t care for the food as much. 

• Like 1

I kind of felt like I was eating in Blu, so I should give it chance, so I purposely avoided the MDR menu other than appetizers.  I got to try some new things and enjoyed every meal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I skipped the long video, but I can say that we did a MoveUp to AQ for the first time ever on Solstice last December and I ordered something off the MDR menu every evening when we dined at Blu. Nice service and ambiance but I didn’t care for the food as much. 

To piggyback off this, I was pretty much thinking the same.  The biggest advantage to Blu is the ability to order off both the Blu and MDR menus yet some ships (perhaps per the M'Ds request?) restrict MDR ordering.  Blu's food is the same quality as the MDR however you get some more premium selections.  On a typical 7 nighter, assuming nothing recently changed, Blu will offer filet, duck, and lamb at least twice.  Also, assuming nothing recently changed, you can get as many lobster tails as you want for free

I didn't watch the video yet if the topic is appealing, I'll happily watch an individual's YT video.  In this case, it's a double whammy no as it's long and I really don't care what others think about the food.  If a first-time X cruiser says the mast grill burger should be awarded 3 Michelin stars, it doesn't change my actual opinion that I believe it's the worst complimentary burger served on a mass-market cruise line.  X doesn't seem to care that Carnival puts out a good burger.  I've always thought they should spend the money on comfort food items so one is more likely to fill up on it and eat less at the MDR which I'd imagine the MDR food is more costly

• Like 5

The only two advantages for us (we don't do the spa stuff) is the shower heads in the shower on the E class are great and Blu ONLY in the Solstice class.  We do not care for Blu on the E class and on the E class you are unable to also order from the MDR menu's but it is allowed on the solstice class, so consider this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched the entire video and was very glad I did.  He did a very good job covering the venue's and gave his honest opinion.  There are a couple of things I wish he had commented on, e.g. the room service coffee and orange juice.  I keep telling myself to try Blu and may do that on our next cruise. 

• Like 4

I did Blu once, unless I got a cheap move up bid I doubt I'd do it again.

I honestly did not like the food there at all which is what a lot of people rave about.  Personally I like the thermal suite on E class so makes more sense to get a regular room and then purchase a pass. The service was great but then I also have had great service in the MDR.

Posted (edited)

I can’t find fault with the food in Blu..but I’m not a picky eater. I’m not a MDR guy at all..I don’t remember the last time my Wife and I ate there on a cruise..Specialties or Blue or Luminae. Usually some late night pizza. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

I recently did Blu and Aqua Class on the Reflection.  I liked the ability to order from both the Blu menu and the MDR menu.  Even when I'm dining in Luminae, I many times order off the MDR menu.  The service was just as good as the service I've experienced in Luminae.  My last experience in the MDR was dismal from a service standpoint.  Aqua Class seems like the new sweet spot for me since suite prices have gone astronomical.  

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts on food reviews is they are always subjective.  It is one person's pallet and sharing how they feel about it.

Example, I cannot stand the canapes in Concierge Class, others love them. 

• Like 1

We find the food in Blu to be very good to excellent.  We prefer Blu to Luminae.  
We have been only on E class the past year would not book AQ on E class as we feel the 4 MDRs offer very good food with more options.  
On S or M class we would choose AQ however we have a S class cruise booked and the price difference for AQ was $151 a night over a Deluxe veranda. We don’t use the Spa and only get up for breakfast on debarkation day so paying $151 a night for dinner in Blu was a no go.  Murano and Tuscan here we come.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The biggest advantage to Blu is the ability to order off both the Blu and MDR menus yet some ships (perhaps per the M'Ds request?) restrict MDR ordering.

For me the biggest advantage to Blu is that it’s a small venue and has superior service. I’m especially fond of breakfast there.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

My thoughts on food reviews is they are always subjective.  It is one person's pallet and sharing how they feel about it.

Example, I cannot stand the canapes in Concierge Class, others love them. 

Those can be a crap shoot, but I do like trying the different things that I probably wouldn’t try at home..

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We find the food in Blu to be very good to excellent.  We prefer Blu to Luminae.  
We have been only on E class the past year would not book AQ on E class as we feel the 4 MDRs offer very good food with more options.  
On S or M class we would choose AQ however we have a S class cruise booked and the price difference for AQ was $151 a night over a Deluxe veranda. We don’t use the Spa and only get up for breakfast on debarkation day so paying $151 a night for dinner in Blu was a no go.  Murano and Tuscan here we come.

I understand that logic perfectly…we usually get up too late for a sit down breakfast too..

We've sailed in AQ probably 15 times and the only reason we pay the premium is for Blu. The menus are not new to us and during the worst of the cost cutting (2021 and 2022), there were a few nights when the food disappointed but we've never ordered from the MDR. Not once. I do order the everyday favourites fairly frequently.

The only truly 'bad' service we've had in Blu was  Vancouver to Hawaii last fall. Awful. The service generally on that ship was bad so I'm chalking it up to poor management since we've had probably 14 other good experiences - before and after. 

I will add ... we're watching the price differential these days. We won't bother with AQ (or even a verandah) on E class because the whole window balcony thing isn't worth the extra cost.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I watched the entire video and was very glad I did.  He did a very good job covering the venue's and gave his honest opinion.  There are a couple of things I wish he had commented on, e.g. the room service coffee and orange juice.  I keep telling myself to try Blu and may do that on our next cruise. 

Noted. Will definitely do that next time. I love feedback ❤️❤️

• Like 1

We  enjoy the menu, food prep, service and ambiance in  BLU.  We break things up with Specialty Dining...works well for us!

• Like 2

We cruised Aqua 2 weeks ago on the Beyond. The quality of the food was always excellent but the menu choice is terrible. One night there were 2 pasta dishes, 1 vegetarian dish, duck and lamb as mains (entrees).

It's a shame, because the service was amazing, loved the smaller restaurant, and the quality of the food was always good, but the menu selection needs updating.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, xxpinksaltxx said:

We cruised Aqua 2 weeks ago on the Beyond. The quality of the food was always excellent but the menu choice is terrible. One night there were 2 pasta dishes, 1 vegetarian dish, duck and lamb as mains (entrees).

It's a shame, because the service was amazing, loved the smaller restaurant, and the quality of the food was always good, but the menu selection needs updating.

Not sure what's terrible about those options. What were you wanting? What did you have and was it good?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Not sure what's terrible about those options. What were you wanting? What did you have and was it good?

We only ate in Blu twice, because of the menu. On that particular day, there was no beef, chicken or fish, that just seems odd to me. Sometimes you just want something simple, so we would go to the MDR because they have the classic options available. 

• Like 1

I just got off 3 weeks on the Eclipse (1 week in Aqua Class from Buenos Aires to Rio and then 2 weeks not in Aqua Class for Rio to New York) and wrote about it in 2 separate reviews that I posted recently.

I was not impressed with Blu after having had high expectations and I agree with your assessment.  The service was really good, but not noticeably better than the MDR where the service was also really good even though we did My Time Dining.  The food was not better in my opinion, just different (and even then sometimes items on the Blu menu were the same as the MDR).  Where we thought Blu was much better was the ability to walk in any time and sit down  with no line  and it was definitely calmer and less frenetic (not sure if is always like that, but it was our experience).

The only time we ordered food that wasn't on the Blu menu was at breakfast.  We word order oatmeal, which wasn't on the menu but should have been.  Our server would get it for us, but it took quite a long time each time.

It would be so nice if Blu were a truly more elevated dining experience, but it just wasn't in my experience.  I would pay $100 pp more per week for it just to be able to have dinner without a wait.  But, I wouldn't pay more for that.

• Like 1