Bringing sand chairs on board

I looked at the prohibited items and did not see sand or beach chairs on the list.  If yes, will the porters take them for delivery to your room or do you have to walk around with them until room is ready?  Also, will the shuttle buses going to the beach allow them on?  I heard that many beach chair rentals throughout the caribbean have raised prices and if you have a cruise that goes to several public beaches the cost can add up.  BTW driving to port, no flying.

I don't know the answer any of your specific questions but this whole idea seems like a lot of work to save a few dollars. I have not seen chair rental prices going up. We rented chairs and umbrellas at 3 different beaches in March and all 3 were reasonable.

• Like 5

I feel like chair rentals are priced within reason in most ports.  For example, we rented chairs, again, in Saint Martin.  $40 for two chair with umbrellas and a bucket of drinks (whatever you like, sodas, beers, etc.) and wifi.  Pretty reasonable to me.   

You might consider bringing a large beach blanket and using that. I have one that rolls up nicely that my whole family can lay on. It's waterproof on the bottom, soft on the top. I think I bought it a Costco. If you want shade with it, there are assorted compact shades/umbrellas you can search for on Amazon.

Posted (edited)

Just not worth the hassle.  Never seen anyone carry any onboard.  When we still did beaches, we always just rented chairs and an umbrella.  For two people it's usually about $25 at most places.  Possibly a bit more now, but not the least bit unreasonable.   I doubt the porters will take them.  Even if they did, the odds of them getting to you undamaged is pretty much zero.  Everything is stacked and can be tossed around.  They don't take cases of water anymore.  Luggage is all I ever see.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

We have camping chairs that fold as small as a bottle, an umbrella that fits inside a 25” suitcase and even a small table that rolls up.  They all fit inside a suitcase. We’ve used them on beach trips that don’t offer chairs but don’t take them on cruises.  It’s just too much to lug to a beach off a ship.  Renting isn’t that much for the convenience. $20 to $40 for all day isn’t that much compared to excursions. 

• Like 1

It IS worthwhile to take inflatable chairs or noodles for water use, though.  We do large noodles and have seen many folks with floating chairs.  

• Like 1

“IF” you do manage to get them onboard be prepared to carry your chairs around with you until the rooms are ready about 1pm.  No way are porters going to accept beach chairs!!

• Like 1

A family member gave me a folding camp chair called moon lence for a Bermuda trip years ago.  It folds up small.....decent for back support at Horseshoe Bay ...not amazing but decent.  We paid $50 for 2 chairs and umbrella at Eagle Beach Aruba last Nov even though we only planned to be there 4 hours ..they did not offer half day rates etc.  As we tend to only stay at the beach a few hours vs a full day at each port of call it can get expensive. 

17170190255087836077379552133263.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

“IF” you do manage to get them onboard be prepared to carry your chairs around with you until the rooms are ready about 1pm.  No way are porters going to accept beach chairs!!

When I was dropping off luggage in March, the porter just tagged two beach chairs still in the factory plastic wrap for the passengers in front of me, and put them in with the rest of the luggage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Why not?  If they are in the normal bags, they are little different than a duffle bag.

Honestly, I couldn't be bothered lugging around any more stuff than I already do. I'll shell out for the beach chair and umbrella without regrets. 

Teddie

• Like 1

Can't Imagin be carrying sand chairs on & off the ship. Then worrying about getting them to & from the ship. Much easier to pay the money 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

YES, porters do accept beach chairs with a luggage tag on them.

15 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

I feel like chair rentals are priced within reason in most ports.  For example, we rented chairs, again, in Saint Martin.  $40 for two chair with umbrellas and a bucket of drinks (whatever you like, sodas, beers, etc.) and wifi.  Pretty reasonable to me.   

What beach did you go to?

3 hours ago, BopRN said:

What beach did you go to?

We took the water taxi over to “town” and turned left, lol. Usually we go to the right but we mixed it up this last trip. The resorts and restaurants have people renting out the chairs and they usually include use of their facilities with the chair rentals. So we rented from the white resort on the left. Can’t remember the name but they had very clean bathrooms and a nice dining area outside. It’s easy to see if you taxi over. 

14 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Why not?  If they are in the normal bags, they are little different than a duffle bag.

But chairs, while not super-fragile, are easier to damage than clothing.  I'd be a little concerned about them being tossed around in the suitcase soup.  

13 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

This is the type of content that keeps bringing me back. 

Yep.  Unbelievable what people come up with.  They might want to bring along a toaster and microwave too.

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

But chairs, while not super-fragile, are easier to damage than clothing.  I'd be a little concerned about them being tossed around in the suitcase soup.  

The luggage bins they put suitcases in are loaded to around 8' high.  Have seen luggage fall off the top onto the pier when the tractors round a corner.  Of course it isn't a big loss if the lawn chair is damaged, but ones on the bottom could puncture a soft-side suitcase.

15 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

YES, porters do accept beach chairs with a luggage tag on them.

have many, many cruises under my belt and have never seen that happen