Swim diapers for toddlers and younger

We took our son, DIL and grandson (1 year old at the time) on a Carnival cruise.  Sail away our GS (with crew looking on) had a great time in the pool, no issues. Then the remainder of the cruise we were told he couldn't go in the pool, splash pad...nothing. (of course he was in a swim diaper) We heard after the cruise that RC allows infants and toddlers in the pools, splash pad etc. So before we consider another cruise I want to confirm that is the case.  

14 minutes ago, snorkler8 said:

We took our son, DIL and grandson (1 year old at the time) on a Carnival cruise.  Sail away our GS (with crew looking on) had a great time in the pool, no issues. Then the remainder of the cruise we were told he couldn't go in the pool, splash pad...nothing. (of course he was in a swim diaper) We heard after the cruise that RC allows infants and toddlers in the pools, splash pad etc. So before we consider another cruise I want to confirm that is the case.  

Kiddos in swim diapers are limited to the baby splash facilities. No swim diapers allowed in the pools or Splashaway bay. 

• Like 3

Toddlers in swim diapers are not allowed in the pools.  If the pool has a splash pad, toddlers in swim diapers are allowed to use that.  And, of course, you can always plan a beach day for your island stops.  

Swim diapers hold in poop but not pee.  I had to learn that the hard way:  I was caught out of the house without a diaper ... but I remember that I had a pack of swim diapers in the trunk!  Saved!  Nope ... the toddler wet that swim diaper, and it ran allll over her car seat.  Doesn't hold in any pee.  

On the other hand, if the disposable swim diaper's not been pooped, you can wash it (in the washing machine) and let it air dry ... money saved.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I didn't know those facts about swim diapers! 

The frustrating part was they were adamant my GS couldn't even go in the splash pad. It was a big downer for the cruise. I felt bad I had not done my homework on that part of the planning. Other wise we would have gone with RC instead of Carnival. 

DH and I are trying RC for the first time in July to Alaska. It will be fun to see if we like it...whats not to like, Right?! lol So far we have loved Celebrity, Carnival and Holland. 

4 hours ago, snorkler8 said:

The frustrating part was they were adamant my GS couldn't even go in the splash pad. It was a big downer for the cruise. I felt bad I had not done my homework on that part of the planning. Other wise we would have gone with RC instead of Carnival. 

DH and I are trying RC for the first time in July to Alaska. It will be fun to see if we like it...whats not to like, Right?! lol So far we have loved Celebrity, Carnival and Holland. 

Not all splash pads meet the regulations to allow children who are not potty trained.  They are pretty detailed.  The carnival personnel didn't allow him in their splash pad because it would have been a violation of the regulations.  Even on Royal ships, the splash pads that allow swim diapers are usually quite small.  They have to be separated from the other swim facilities by some kind of barrier (from what I understand this is often plexiglass).  Most cruise lines have decided it's not worth the dedicated space just for young children who are not yet potty trained.  

• Like 2

Swim diapers are allowed in the Coco Cay pool though. 

I can't believe I am the first to mention this in this thread.... Adults are also allowed to sit at the swim-up bar at CocoCay all day without leaving the pool either. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I can't believe I am the first to mention this in this thread.... Adults are also allowed to sit at the swim-up bar at CocoCay all day without leaving the pool either. 😉 

I know this happens in hot tubs (that I avoid), urine isn’t a big problem. Fecal matter, even in swim diapers definitely is. Water flows through resulting in fecal tea which is definitely a problem. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Only place i get wet on a cruise is in my shower . 😂

• Like 3

We ( DW and I) have just returned from a 7 night cruise on Oasis around the Med and will be going on the same trip at the end of September with our two daughters and their families, ten of us in total. There will be 4 granddaughters and the youngest will be 10 months old when we travel, she obviously will not be potty trained so we know she can only go in the splash pool by El Loco fresh as this is right next too but separate from the children's splash area. However whilst on this cruise and sitting by the pool area one day a family came and got into the main (salt water) pool with a child in swim diapers, the pool attendant asked them to get out but they argued with him and to be honest made him back down. A lady who was in the pool got out and spoke to another member of the staff  to complain ( My DW spoke to her later and she was concerned over an operation she had had and was not happy for obvious reasons with a child who was wearing a diaper). The family got out in the end but it took a few more words for them to do so. Some people unfortunately think the rules do not matter to them and they can do as they please.  

• Like 10

12 hours ago, snorkler8 said:

Just wondering if you'll be on one of the RC ships that allow swim diapers (hopefully). Happy cruising in Alaska (it's really beautiful in July)! Cheers!

2 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Eewwwwww  OMG 

Now I will have to re think that large pool.  But honestly if one gets there really early, ya might be able to enjoy for 15 minutes.  

30 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Eewwwwww  OMG 

Now I will have to re think that large pool.  But honestly if one gets there really early, ya might be able to enjoy for 15 minutes.  

I hope you know swimming diapers are allowed in all land based hotels. Ships are just very different animals

Everyone complains about urine in pools and hot tubs, but how many people go out in the ocean with all the marine poo, urine, and who knows what else?  

Sorry, I just don't get the "ick" factor.  Honestly, I don't think about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Everyone complains about urine in pools and hot tubs, but how many people go out in the ocean with all the marine poo, urine, and who knows what else?  

That's why the pool and hot tub are chlorinated. Still though don't want urine in pool and definity not fecal matter. All kinds of sewage in ocean but it is diluted. Many public beaches in more advanced countries the water is tested. In any case that is one of the reasons I got the Hep A vaccine it is not just for foreign countries. Lot of sewage gets dumped in US waters. Also so I don't get sick from food in underdeveloped countries. 

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Same here. Pools and hot tubs don't bother me at all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roybthered said:

We ( DW and I) have just returned from a 7 night cruise on Oasis around the Med and will be going on the same trip at the end of September with our two daughters and their families, ten of us in total. There will be 4 granddaughters and the youngest will be 10 months old when we travel, she obviously will not be potty trained so we know she can only go in the splash pool by El Loco fresh as this is right next too but separate from the children's splash area. However whilst on this cruise and sitting by the pool area one day a family came and got into the main (salt water) pool with a child in swim diapers, the pool attendant asked them to get out but they argued with him and to be honest made him back down. A lady who was in the pool got out and spoke to another member of the staff  to complain ( My DW spoke to her later and she was concerned over an operation she had had and was not happy for obvious reasons with a child who was wearing a diaper). The family got out in the end but it took a few more words for them to do so. Some people unfortunately think the rules do not matter to them and they can do as they please.  

Which is why a lot of people get sick on a cruise!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Toddcan said:

You beat me.

Also include those who wear incontinence briefs and pads while not in pool and hottub.

On 5/29/2024 at 10:06 PM, snorkler8 said:

FYI, only DCL splash pads, and some RCCL splash pads (not all ships) allow for swim diapers. There are zero ships that allow swim diapers in pools.