The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 2nd, 2024

Today is National Gun Violence Awareness Day, National Rotisserie Chicken Day, and St. Erasmus Day

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.--Joan Powers, Pooh's Little Instruction Book

Meal Suggestion for today - Healthy Chocolate Tart with Raspberries
Drink of the Day - Frangelico Sour
Wine of the Day - Carpano-Antica-Formula-Vermouth
Destination of the Day - Moorea, French Polynesia

Today in History:
1896 Italian engineer and inventor Guglielmo Marconi applies for the first ever patent for a system of wireless telegraphy in the United Kingdom
1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in Westminster Abbey, London, England

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06-03

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska eta 06-03

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Oslo, Norway 10:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 19:30

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oslo, Norway eta 06-03

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Stockholm, Sweden 08:00 - 17:00

0602Alaska.thumb.png.75802b8a6787a4b31261efeba8f610cf.png

0602Atlantic.thumb.png.39090d91f73d6d6d77bb6979e499d769.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 25

Thank you for the report and Daily!!!  Happy today!!!

I think I'd try the meal today!!!  I'm not sure I like that the word "healthy" is in there...  but, it also has Chocolate and Raspberries!!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Vict0riann’s biopsy results

Rafinmd’s church member Paul with pneumonia

Smitty34877 have a safe trip home

Flooding and storms across the US, with loss of life: PNG landslides

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery

Marshhawk’s DH Catmando in a lot of pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Luvteaching!

Happy Retirement to Horizon chaser 1957’s DH!

Quartzsite Cruiser’s new golf cart

Nickelpenny post back surgery, doing well, good report from surgeon

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Suslor (Rotterdam June 8 to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends

7 days for Cruzn single (Westerdam June 9 to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice

Mr. Boston (Volendam to June 8 ) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), Luvteaching (Majestic Princess to June 9) Alaska Inside Passage, StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Mtn2Sea (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels

• Like 17
  • Thanks 26

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

73 this AM with a sunny 89, a tad cooler than the 90s we’ve had all last week.

Good selection of days and I like the quote.

Anything with chocolate is good. 
I remember at 7 years old watching on TV the coronation of Queen Elizabeth, 6 years later in 1959 my mother and I made it down to Grant Park in Chicago to greet the Queen with many many others on her visit to the Windy City.

Have a great day and stay well and safe.

IMG_1918.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Description

The Frangelico Sour is a delicious and refreshing cocktail that is perfect for those who enjoy the combination of sweet and sour flavors. This cocktail is made using Frangelico, a hazelnut-flavored liqueur that adds a unique nutty flavor to the drink, along with lemon juice and simple syrup, which provides the sour element. The Frangelico Sour is typically served over ice and garnished with a lemon wedge, making it a visually appealing drink as well. This cocktail is perfect for sipping on a warm summer day, or as a refreshing after-dinner drink.
Ingredients:
1 oz. lime juice
1 egg white
2 oz. frangelico
Directions:
Add Frangelico, egg white, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker without ice and shake well.
Add ice to the shaker and shake again until chilled.
Strain into a chilled glass and garnish with lime(optional).

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 6.37.11 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 22

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Ann & Dixie.

Gun awareness day is ever so important.  Grateful to be living where there are strict gun laws.  Love the quote - DD DH used to use it on me.  Loved Moorea despite the very dark and dreary weather that we had.

I finally have an appointment with the vascular surgeon post cat scan -but not until July.  Sheesh.  Between my aching back, legs and foot I’m starting to get into a funk with the waiting and difficulty.   I’m going to have to find someone to help with the weeding in the gardens.  No way can I pull that off right now.  Trying to work on some exercises to help - can’t make it any worse.

IMG_1861.thumb.jpeg.5478a3a727c2e6d9afd3800475696a71.jpeg

On the bright side, my BFF cheered me up on my birthday with a flower delivery.  Very pretty.  When i thanked her she told me they were called the “jacqui bouquet” - named for one of their loyal clients (not me - I don’t think).

IMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.84b0cbbe1257a4b01105174bc9b99b37.jpeg

They are doing very well.

IMG_3026.thumb.jpeg.354eb2d6e3bdb38359405cc745776dac.jpeg

Everything is very late this year.  Solomon’s Seal is just blooming now.  

IMG_3028.thumb.jpeg.711a671a30576b1ee899f442a705096a.jpeg

Hoping to get remaining dahlias in today.  I really have this down to a fine art to try not to strain anything.  I’ll see if the legs and foot will allow it.  Ivan loves to help and is in and out as I take my breaks.

IMG_1858.jpeg.e64e9387a93eda800a803cbd0e9102e3.jpeg

Prayers to those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems and those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.3c2e8f24547d6b5fa70b71efeac7e6ac.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Good morning friends!  Here in Stockholm there are mostly sunny skies and it's 71F.  We walked from the ship to the city center and saw most of the things we saw 13 years ago.  Total walking distance round trip was 5.7 miles.  I deserved a Dive In burger and Diet Coke for lunch today.  It was fun watching a parade of sightseeing boats sailing past us as we ate lunch at a window table near the pool.

Last night we turned the clocks backward one hour as we moved west to Stockholm so we're back to 6 hours ahead of east coast time.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting the Fleet Report and Daily this Sunday morning.  Gun violence awareness is important to us all, no matter where you stand on the 2nd amendment.  I looked up St. Erasmus and he is one of the patron saints of sailors so that is a good one.  A rotisserie chicken sounds good.  Thumbs up to the quote and chocolate tart.  Unsure of that drink and wine.  I celebrate with all who appreciated Queen Elizabeth and the date of her coronation so many years ago.  Thanks to our F&B ladies Debbie @dfish,  Dixie @summer slope,and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers for all on the Care list here on the Daily, DB, Alex’s twins, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the region.  Hoping for better days for everyone! 🙏 Congrats to everyone celebrating a happy event and cruising! 🎉 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping again today!

Thanks for the comments yesterday regarding the sad situation about the home break in near us in Georgia.  My next door neighbor texted me that there was a lot of fear, anxiety and speculation until the truth came out.   But she feels as devastated as I do for those poor people.  Imagine what this does to the entire family relationship - kids, parents, grandparents.  Pennie @Nickelpenny, you were in a really tough spot and had to step up when you had a similar situation.  I commend you for your bravery.

The port today is Moorea, French Polynesia.  This was the port many times including April 23, 2021, March 28, 2023, July 13, 2023 plus two similar locations that some may have used to post their Moorea photos…Dec. 21, 2023 and March 16, 2024.  Here are the links.  Following that some photos.

Here is the Vaiare, French Polynesia post.

And the Bahia d Opunoha, Moorea, French Polynesia post.

I wish someone could explain why that same photo shows up in four of the links above.  So odd but at least they post and refer back to the correct dates.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!  It seems like the elevator mat for Sunday came quickly this past week.  We have many ports in a row here in the Baltics and hope we can keep up the pace.  Meanwhile, stay safe and keep well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

We've been to Moorea twice, once on Golden Princess in 2014 and again on Maasdam in 2017.  In 2014 we went on a private tour with a CC group.  It involved a Polynesian BBQ, ray and shark feeding, sightseeing at a barrier reef, snorkeling, etc.  The day after this we were scheduled on a tour with Patrick in Bora Bora so they were essentially the same description tours, but Patrick's was much better!  Still, I can show you a few photos from Moorea. 

Arrival at the pier.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Welcoming committee.

Scenes along the way

Stingray feeding

I was a little nervous watching this from the boat.

I did go out when they spread out a little bit and that was fun, but when the sharks came I got back in the boat to watch.

Arriving at the motu for the BarBQ.

Not quite the same as Patrick's pig roast in a pit!

The food and drink was good though, and after we ate you could take a little dip in the water to cool down.

In 2017 on the Maasdam, we sailed from Papeete to Moorea in the early morning because they are only about 18 nautical miles apart.  A beautiful sunshine-y day!

The reefs visible in the water

When we reached shore on our tenders we were met with dancers and musicians, local foods and lots of jewelry.  We stayed in town this day since we hadn't done that last visit

Free food!

We bought a pair of black pearl earrings for me that day.

We walked around the village and then peeped into the Ebenezer Church.  It was Easter Sunday.

And a look at a unique treat at dinner that night for Easter Sunday.

Sorry about the number of photos!  So much to see there.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the FR &D.

Good morning.

We had a lovely church service this morning.

3 good days and nice quote.

Pauline's late dad was a soldier on guard on The Mall on her Majesty the Queens coronation day.

Prayers said in church for our care list.

I hope everyone has a great day.

IMG_20240602_100723.jpg

IMG_20240602_113749.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We've been to Moorea twice, once on Golden Princess in 2014 and again on Maasdam in 2017.  In 2014 we went on a private tour with a CC group.  It involved a Polynesian BBQ, ray and shark feeding, sightseeing at a barrier reef, snorkeling, etc.  The day after this we were scheduled on a tour with Patrick in Bora Bora so they were essentially the same description tours, but Patrick's was much better!  Still, I can show you a few photos from Moorea. 

Arrival at the pier.

Welcoming committee.

Scenes along the way

Stingray feeding

I was a little nervous watching this from the boat.

I did go out when they spread out a little bit and that was fun, but when the sharks came I got back in the boat to watch.

Arriving at the motu for the BarBQ.

Not quite the same as Patrick's pig roast in a pit!

The food and drink was good though, and after we ate you could take a little dip in the water to cool down.

In 2017 on the Maasdam, we sailed from Papeete to Moorea in the early morning because they are only about 18 nautical miles apart.  A beautiful sunshine-y day!

The reefs visible in the water

When we reached shore on our tenders we were met with dancers and musicians, local foods and lots of jewelry.  We stayed in town this day since we hadn't done that last visit

Free food!

We bought a pair of black pearl earrings for me that day.

We walked around the village and then peeped into the Ebenezer Church.  It was Easter Sunday.

And a look at a unique treat at dinner that night for Easter Sunday.

Sorry about the number of photos!  So much to see there.

We love your photos Sandi.

Thank you so much for sharing them.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a beautiful morning here.  Mona tried to get me out of bed a 2:30 finally I kicked her out and she came back demanding breakfast, I finally gave in a 4:30.  I think I cruise to catch up on sleep.😂. Late yesterday I got word that two more hospitals are ready to start coming back online, this will take up part of my day.  Today’s agenda will also include a trip to Aldi and some weed pulling.

Last night I was finally able to get a picture of a beautiful visitor.

image.thumb.png.cf6351ce364d88487e76b64a14541bab.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Rich. Another lovely morning. The marine layer is just starting to burn off. Last night’s dinner was a success. The air fryer salmon was delicious & moist. Thank you for all the words of encouragement!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. You are one busy woman & seem to be recovering nicely. Hope you don’t overdo. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, a visit with my Sister & Brayden and some pool time! This weather is spoiling all of us. 

IMG_2947.jpeg.5f67cd42a088aa2b9191d440d691d8d4.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg.d193dae6f5246a477591a15721c3e302.jpeg

IMG_2948.jpeg.1c98d988859fca0131c9eac46ed9678a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, keeping you, Tana and your families at the top of my list. Praying that something is found to help Tana and those suffering from her condition. Soon. 

Cheers to all who need our support. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Carpano-Antica-Formula-Vermouth

This is the first sweet vermouth that I have seen with a Wine Enthusiast score. Widely available & a bottle would most likely last awhile, so the price seems reasonable. I confess I do not remember the last time I bought vermouth. Online starting prices range between $17.99 - $35.48 depending on the size of the bottle. 
Distributor’s note

Step into the world of Carpano Antica, where Italian grape varieties blend seamlessly with meticulously crafted botanicals to create a masterpiece of flavor. Elevate your experience of a classic Negroni, marrying the rich vanilla, saffron, and wormwood with the boldness of gin and the bitterness of Campari. Sip, savor, and surrender to the timeless allure of this legendary vermouth.

In Torino, 1786, Antonio Benedetto Carpano invented the commercial model for what we know today as red vermouth, possibly even coining the term "vermuth." The Carpano brand was formalized some years later by Carpano's nephew. The red vermouths of subsequent producers, such as Cinzano and Gancia, were their own riffs on what Carpano first successfully marketed. Today, production is in Milano, Italy. 

Country of Origin: Italy

Alcohol %: 16.5%

Score Wine Enthusiast:  95
This dark, mysterious vermouth is rich, complex and layered, boasting aromas of mint and other herbs, plums and figs, reminscent of Madeira. The rich flavors are hard to pin down: cocoa, red wine, almonds, bitter marmelade, hints of spice and toffee all play across the palate, finishing with a bracing bitter edge. This delectable sweet vermouth would shine in a Manhattan.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's raining.  Bertie doesn't mind getting wet, but I think it will be a short walk for us this morning.  The plants are happy to get the rain.

Gun violence seems to be growing.  Rotisserie chicken is a handy meal.  St Erasmus (St Elmo) is the patron saint of sailors.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds tasty, but not a meal.  The drink and wine sound great too.

Praying for peace for our world.

Hope everyone has a pleasant day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Friday I happen to check the MSC website and found that the MSC Divina was doing a 19-Night Grand Voyage (Transatlantic) Late October 2025. This is the same cruise that was cancelled on us for this October. That started the ball rolling for re-adjusting our Spring 2025 cruise!

Upon arriving in Dover aboard the Nieuw Statendam in April, we had planned on a land trip around parts of England before flying home. We are now seriously considering adding an 8-Night cruise aboard Fred Olsen's Bolette to Norway and Faroe Islands that leaves RT from Liverpool. The Bolette is the former HAL  Amsterdam. That way I also fulfill bucket list items of sailing on a R-class ship and visiting the Faroe Islands.

Sam's harness arrived yesterday. I'm not sure if it will work as it is not intended to be left on at night. We will give it a try though.

Have a great Sunday!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

In Dubrovnik, Croatia today. We had a private day long excursion but my back has been acting up so I have stayed onboard to rest up. Sue is on it. I believe the long car ride yesterday was the cause.  Tonight’s is our Azamazing Evening so may attend that. It’s a nice day here but weather report calls for 80% chance of rain around 6:00 PM. We’ll see if that changes plan.

Just had a light lunch and I’m headed for a nap.

Thanks for the reports and postings. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Ann & Dixie.

Gun awareness day is ever so important.  Grateful to be living where there are strict gun laws.  Love the quote - DD DH used to use it on me.  Loved Moorea despite the very dark and dreary weather that we had.

I finally have an appointment with the vascular surgeon post cat scan -but not until July.  Sheesh.  Between my aching back, legs and foot I’m starting to get into a funk with the waiting and difficulty.   I’m going to have to find someone to help with the weeding in the gardens.  No way can I pull that off right now.  Trying to work on some exercises to help - can’t make it any worse.

IMG_1861.thumb.jpeg.5478a3a727c2e6d9afd3800475696a71.jpeg

On the bright side, my BFF cheered me up on my birthday with a flower delivery.  Very pretty.  When i thanked her she told me they were called the “jacqui bouquet” - named for one of their loyal clients (not me - I don’t think).

IMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.84b0cbbe1257a4b01105174bc9b99b37.jpeg

They are doing very well.

IMG_3026.thumb.jpeg.354eb2d6e3bdb38359405cc745776dac.jpeg

Everything is very late this year.  Solomon’s Seal is just blooming now.  

IMG_3028.thumb.jpeg.711a671a30576b1ee899f442a705096a.jpeg

Hoping to get remaining dahlias in today.  I really have this down to a fine art to try not to strain anything.  I’ll see if the legs and foot will allow it.  Ivan loves to help and is in and out as I take my breaks.

IMG_1858.jpeg.e64e9387a93eda800a803cbd0e9102e3.jpeg

Prayers to those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems and those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.3c2e8f24547d6b5fa70b71efeac7e6ac.jpeg

Daffy Duck was spot on.

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich!  All of us cruisers will celebrate St. Erasmus.  I would love a rotisserie chicken but town is a 45 minute drive away.  We are heading there tomorrow, maybe tomorrow.  Can't barely turn on the TV to be very aware of gun violence.  A beautiful quote.  I look forward to everyone else's as we are heading there two years in a row beginning next year.  Thanks for the photos today Sandi.  I will pass on all three comestibles.  Thanks for researching them for us each day.

Thanks for the Cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.    Prayers for Chuck, Tana, Jacqui, @Vict0riann and everyone else who is ailing or grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

I had a relaxing day and got little done other than resting.  All ready for a big day of work in the garden.  We got a lot of basically nuisance rain yesterday but it was enough to keep me from having to water all of my Hosta starts, 7 small new trees and the annuals.  Hopefully we get more tomorrow when we go to town.  I am going to start with weeding first then string trimming.  That way if I am in pain I am done for the day.  This is usually a twice a season job to keep trees and giant weeds from coming up in our cleared area.  Now that all the plants are growing up the mass of weeds that germinated in the mild winter so I am not so stressed to get them our all at once.  Have a lovely Sunday.  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4