The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 7th, 2024

Today is Dive Bar Day, Father-Daughter Take A Walk Together Day, and Global Forgiveness Day

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Meal Suggestion for today - Shrimp Salad with Peanut Dressing
Drink of the Day - Pina Colada
Wine of the Day - Outnumbered Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - A Coruna, Spain

Today in History:
1990 Wimbledon Women's Tennis: Martina Navratilova wins her record 9th Wimbledon singles title beating American Zina Garrison 6-4, 6-1

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-08

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska eta 07-08

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 19:30

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Iceland

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00

Oosterdam

Split, Croatia 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland eta 07-08

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

At Sea Scenic Cruising Greenland

0707Alaska.thumb.png.d13b7115c8eaad21f12c36c3b6a798c5.png

0707Atlantic.thumb.png.bbb1d18d4c5e511f66754231d9bfc774.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 27

Pina Colada cocktail:

As the story goes, the Piña Colada debuted in 1952, when it was first mixed by Ramon Marrero Perez, the head barman at the Caribe Hilton in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. Perez had blended up a winner, and the tropical drink enjoyed its place in the sun for decades, finding its way to American shores and faraway isles. However, the quality took a nose dive around the 1970s when barkeeps began making Piña Coladas with cheap, bottled mixers and serving them in comically large glasses.

Fortunately, the drink has enjoyed a renaissance in recent years, as craft-focused bartenders reclaimed the original recipe, once again focusing on solid ingredients and proper proportions. Some also opted to sub shaker tins for the traditional blender, creating a lighter, less-icy cocktail.

Ingredients
2 ounces light rum
1 1/2 ounces cream of coconut
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
Garnish: pineapple wedge
Garnish: pineapple leaf

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 6.16.53 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports on this the 6th Sunday after Trinity.

We had a nice church service this morning.

3 interesting days and quote.

We have been to a Corunna several times on cruises most recently on P&O Arvia on June 11th 2024.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240707_113305.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Good morning friends!  The Zuiderdam is on its way to Nuuk, Greenland today going 21 knots.  The TV says it is 48F and skies are mostly sunny.  We arrive at our destination on Wednesday the 10th

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  I can honestly say there are no dive bars on the Zuiderdam.  Father-daughter taking a walk is a lovely thought and memory.  Global forgiveness would be ideal but I wonder if it’s possible in all cases.  An interesting quote by Rowling.  I’ll be checking out the shrimp salad with peanut dressing recipes Debbie digs up.  Yes to Pina Coladas and Sauvignon Blanc wine.  Martina Navrilatova was such a great tennis player.  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their super reporting skills on our food and beverages.

Prayers for my DB and Alex/Jordan’s twins, the people of Israel  and Ukraine, the hostages still held and our troops in the region holding down the fort.  Many prayers for our group of Dailyites, and I hope Tana is resting comfortably this weekend.  Prayers for her and Terry’s @smitty34877 family, Jacqui @kazu, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Maureen’s @RMLincoln Richard, Roy @rafinmd and all others with health problems and worries.  Congrats to everyone celebrating special events and to our cruisers.  Thanks again to Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up with us all. 

Our port today is A Coruna, Spain which was posted here previously on July 16, 2021, Sept. 2, 2022 and July 15, 2023.  We have not stopped at A Coruna before.  I’ll post the links to help you out retrieving your photos.

I’m sad to hear Dr. Pol is finishing up his TV program.  I’ll miss him!  I have a lot of hunting to do to find all the episodes of the TV programs I’ve missed during my 10 weeks away from home!  I told my DVR to take a break because I knew it would record everything and start deleting the oldest recordings and it would be a jumbled up mess. 

Hope all are enjoying their holiday weekend.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this AM with a high of 91 with usual summer afternoon showers, not a drop yesterday which is unusual.

Good selection of days.

I guess the quote makes sense.

I’ll pass on the meal.

I like a Pina Colada once in a while.

Back in the days when I was playing and into tennis we saw Martina Navratilova play in person a few times, I liked Chris Evert but Martina was the better player.

We sail on the MSC Seashore a month from today, had a nice upgrade yesterday from MSC, we had booked a guaranteed oceanview cabin and were upgraded to a deluxe veranda.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Heartgrove’s DSIL with upcoming surgery, and DW’s DBIL with pancreatic cancer

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Rafinmd’s church member Paul post pneumonia, slow recovery

Lady Hudson’s friend post stroke, with some paralysis, moved to rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage luvteaching (Karen)!

Welcome home Cruzn single!

Dfish meeting her new great niece Addie

Luvteaching’s DM did well with heart procedure and is back home

RMLincoln’s DH’s satisfactory eye doctor visit

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

luvteaching (Westerdam to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 24
  • Thanks 21

After a lovely church service we brought our picnic to the beach car park and got some takeaway hot drinks on the way.

I always show my car Multimedia screen because we often park in the same place and  it shows the temperature,date and time

IMG_20240707_114537.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good humid morning, it’s already 75 with 80% humidity. The heat wave continues thru Wednesday. 
I haven’t had a pina colada in ages. I will pass on the shrimp salad as I am allergic to shrimp.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

Stay cool.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Dailys!!   Oh how I'd LOVE to go on just one more walk with my Daddy!  AND, what a cleansing and refreshing thing as Forgiveness Day!!!  Take a moment to think of whom we should ask for forgiveness and sincerely speak to them!

As for J.K. Rowling -- I think I'll seek wit -- but I won't treasure it beyond another, greater gift!!

I LOVE peanut dressing in Thai foods!!  I'll bet the shrimp recipe will be wonderful!!  I love a Pina Colada and a Sauvignon Blanc!  And, someday I'll visit somewhere in Spain...

I haven't been watching Wimbledon -- but have been watching the Football/Soccer and LOVED that the Netherlands is still in the play!!!  Karen, my sister and I texted after each goal!!  She said there were fireworks on her street in the Hague, after the victory!!

I'm off to church...

• Like 34

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning and it should warm up to 28C (82F) this afternoon.

I don't know much about Dive Bars.   I'd love to go for just one more walk with my dad, but I treasure the memories of him.   Forgiveness is a wonderful gift to oneself.

I don't think I agree with the quote.

I'd like to try the meal.  No thanks for the drink but I know I'll like the wine.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 31

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A bit warmer this morning, and a bit more humid. Yesterday was one of those perfect Summer days. High 80s, no humidity & the strong onshore breezes made it special.  I finished off the night at my neighbor’s experimenting with vodka & Limoncello for our own version of the “Lemon Drop”. Perhaps we should call it the “Limon Drop”. She has sold her house and is heading to Utah in August. Her daughter & son-in-law have created an apartment for her that gives her her own space. She will be sorely missed.

Vanessa, thank you for doing all you do. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, and pool time. 

Thought of you @smitty34877
IMG_3114.jpeg.39484bfedf69e8c53f1841c949484c09.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg.44d7aff145be4097d1907180d34591e8.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg.a4f4c65d46c9b49b303e0b694aebfbaa.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying for you. Praying for all the caregivers. I know how exhausted I was the month that my Sister was in the hospital and rehab, and I did not half the responsibility that you do & you have been doing it for years. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Outnumbered Sauvignon Blanc 2022

I used the 2022 vintage info for this New Zealand SB. Lots of consumer fans. Easy to find & priced to try. I love the idea of the sheep roaming freely through the vineyards. Their label even has sheep on it. Online prices start at $11.00.

Winemaker notes

This vibrant, aromatic wine displays aromas of gooseberry and citrus, with a refreshing lime and passion fruit finish.

At Matahiwi Estate we let our happy sheep roam the vineyards as they take care of weeds and keep the grass short over the winter months.  Using sheep lowers fossil fuel use, and therefore carbon emissions, by reducing the number of passes with a tractor.

We may be outnumbered by our woolly companions, but we wouldn’t have it any other way.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 4

Good morning. It is cloudy here with a temperature of 76 and 79% humidity. Ahhh New York in summer! We who live here could never get why tourists come in summer…..

I have been to the port and found it fascinating. The travelers on El Camino were arriving in the plaza when we got to the cathedral. It really is a special place.i like the quote and certainly visited a dive bar or two in my drinking days. My father was not inclined to do much with any of us. I am always so happy to watch my son interact with his children. My DD DH used to tell me that it was possible to do things differently with our own children and he was so right.

@luvteaching, Enjoy the cruise with your friend and Bon Voyage! I was so glad to read your mom made it home and is doing well.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A bit warmer this morning, and a bit more humid. Yesterday was one of those perfect Summer days. High 80s, no humidity & the strong onshore breezes made it special.  I finished off the night at my neighbor’s experimenting with vodka & Limoncello for our own version of the “Lemon Drop”. Perhaps we should call it the “Limon Drop”. She has sold her house and is heading to Utah in August. Her daughter & son-in-law have created an apartment for her that gives her her own space. She will be sorely missed.

Vanessa, thank you for doing all you do. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, and pool time. 

Thought of you @smitty34877
IMG_3114.jpeg.39484bfedf69e8c53f1841c949484c09.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg.44d7aff145be4097d1907180d34591e8.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg.a4f4c65d46c9b49b303e0b694aebfbaa.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying for you. Praying for all the caregivers. I know how exhausted I was the month that my Sister was in the hospital and rehab, and I did not half the responsibility that you do & you have been doing it for years. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Outnumbered Sauvignon Blanc 2022

I used the 2022 vintage info for this New Zealand SB. Lots of consumer fans. Easy to find & priced to try. I love the idea of the sheep roaming freely through the vineyards. Their label even has sheep on it. Online prices start at $11.00.

Winemaker notes

This vibrant, aromatic wine displays aromas of gooseberry and citrus, with a refreshing lime and passion fruit finish.

At Matahiwi Estate we let our happy sheep roam the vineyards as they take care of weeds and keep the grass short over the winter months.  Using sheep lowers fossil fuel use, and therefore carbon emissions, by reducing the number of passes with a tractor.

We may be outnumbered by our woolly companions, but we wouldn’t have it any other way.

I look like an alpaca for sure! The only saving grace is a hat!

i appreciate your kind words and I think I am crawling out of the pit I was in now. I can tell things are better when I  can laugh again, easily. Did your sister swim in your pool at her last visit?

• Like 30

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, Dixie and Graham for the Sunday FR&D.  I’ll celebrate global forgiveness day but pass on the other twol..    Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana.  Bon Voyage Karen

I like Rowling’s quote.

I have not been to today’s port..

Martina Navratilova was awesome.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Tim Hortons Chicken Noodle Soup and Panera Mac & Cheese, my lunch and dinner in New York July 10, 2018, before boarding trains to Vancouver and my Volendam/Westerdam Grand Alaska trip.. 

dishes10.jpg
It will be hot today but not as humid, and I plan to be inside to stay about noon, shortly after church.

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

After a lovely church service we brought our picnic to the beach car park and got some takeaway hot drinks on the way.

I always show my car Multimedia screen because we often park in the same place and  it shows the temperature,date and time

IMG_20240707_114537.jpg

I guess we had a breakfast lite today!

• Like 18

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Years ago I went to a Dive Bar and met a girl named Pina Colada and became love drunk!  😬

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, RedneckBob said:

I guess we had a breakfast lite today!

Pauline made some sandwiches before we went to church and we took them with us and got a hot chocolate and coffee at a takeaway on the way to the beach after church.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

we had a lovely family fish fry yesterday. Pickerel (walleye), French fries, corn on the cob, bean salad, German potato salad, creamy coleslaw, fresh buns. We were enjoying ourselves so much that no one took pictures! My sister and brother in law and their son and family live in the county with open fields behind them. The breeze was lovely, no humidity, no mosquitoes and lovely sunshine. You couldn’t ask for a better day.

we are trying to make this an annual tradition. My mom and dad both had birthdays in July (94 this year). My mom passed away 34 years ago on July 15 and dad last year in late may. So July is a fitting time to celebrate them. As my sister said, I wish they could see this. The group will shrink as the great grandchildren get jobs and move away but hopefully we can entice them back each year. We were 21 people this year.

another beautiful day today before heat, humidity and rain take over the week. Looks like we may get remnants of rain from beryl later in the week.  Have a great day everyone.

• Like 36

We were on the Zuiderdam last year when we stopped in A Coruña, our port for today.  We took an excursion that took us to Lugo, the only city in the world to be surrounded by completely intact Roman walls, which are now protected as a UNESCO World Heritage site.  We took a short walk on top of the walls, which are 33 to 49 feet high, and then wandered around the town before having lunch and our return to the ship.IMG_5945.jpeg.2675c22a713b106db584bd4e229797f5.jpeg

IMG_5944.jpeg.8521f1246b81a4c48821f41779debbb1.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg.be19bde6233700f568247fd15d7c33fd.jpeg

IMG_5942.jpeg.063f014cc6ab13ecb41fa9fb6016415b.jpeg

IMG_5941.thumb.jpeg.22810c6e3b537d6b7b83c2e698667cd4.jpeg

IMG_5940.thumb.jpeg.ab0bacdf9cbe1b509a89f7f4b1dfd935.jpeg

IMG_5939.jpeg.8dc41f5a6ba490b82a9fc27a2329cf24.jpeg

IMG_5938.thumb.jpeg.be81d0e91823f69de107034b12453d3b.jpeg

IMG_5937.thumb.jpeg.c3b8a8156b97bef763216ab0f377998f.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10