Parents can't make the cruise due to injury, any ways to reduce / minimize the loss?

Long story short, my dad just recently got injured and there is a good chance that he will not be able to make the cruise, and so is my mom (to take care of my dad), and I am looking for suggestions / ideas to minimize the loss.

Our cruise is departing in less than a month (so well passed final payment), and we have two room booked, one room with 4 people (me, wife, and 2 kids), and one room with 2 people (my parents). We do not have travel insurance (for a reason), so going through insurance is a no go.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to cancel and get future cruise credit instead? I don't have any hope on this, but just want to get a definitive answer.

2. Is it possible to give / switch the name of the guests to other people who are not originally part of the group, for example, my cousins? According to my TA, this is also not possible, but want to get second opinion on this.

3. Is it possible to move the two guests from my room to my parents' room so we are still paying the same amount, but get to keep the room? According to my TA, this is also consider "double switching names", but want to get second opinion.

4. Related to #3, is it possible to move one guest from my room to my parents' room, knowing both of my parents will be no-show, but we can still keep the room?

I fully expect many comments around "you should have travel insurance", but that ship has sailed. I really appreciate any relevant feedback.

2 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

Long story short, my dad just recently got injured and there is a good chance that he will not be able to make the cruise, and so is my mom (to take care of my dad), and I am looking for suggestions / ideas to minimize the loss.

Our cruise is departing in less than a month (so well passed final payment), and we have two room booked, one room with 4 people (me, wife, and 2 kids), and one room with 2 people (my parents). We do not have travel insurance (for a reason), so going through insurance is a no go.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to cancel and get future cruise credit instead? I don't have any hope on this, but just want to get a definitive answer.

2. Is it possible to give / switch the name of the guests to other people who are not originally part of the group, for example, my cousins? According to my TA, this is also not possible, but want to get second opinion on this.

3. Is it possible to move the two guests from my room to my parents' room so we are still paying the same amount, but get to keep the room? According to my TA, this is also consider "double switching names", but want to get second opinion.

4. Related to #3, is it possible to move one guest from my room to my parents' room, knowing both of my parents will be no-show, but we can still keep the room?

I fully expect many comments around "you should have travel insurance", but that ship has sailed. I really appreciate any relevant feedback.

What was the reason for not getting insurance? Curious.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

My questions are:

I'm sorry your dad got hurt and both your parents will be missing this cruise.  I hope he gets well soon. 🙏

This is an interesting thread and I'll follow along.  I'm not optimistic, but good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure if this can be done but maybe others will chime in. Perhaps you could switch your wife and from your mothers and cancel your mother then on cruise day make your father a no show. 

no reimbursement will happen for cruise but you will keep cabin 

• Thanks 1

I am sure this has been considered and without info on said injury may not be feasible or something your dad would want/consider, but people often stay on the ship at ports, use scooters, walkers, wheelchairs to get around and still go on a cruise.  Again, may not be a reasonable option to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

My questions are:

generally no.  You can always ask but don’t get your hopes up.

no.  One guest from the original booking must remain on any altered booking.  Your TA is correct.

3. Is it possible to move the two guests from my room to my parents' room so we are still paying the same amount, but get to keep the room? According to my TA, this is also consider "double switching names", but want to get second opinion

again your TA is correct.  One person from the original booking has to stay the same 

it is highly unlikely that this would work.   You would be trying to change the parents’ double occupancy room to a triple occupancy room. They would re-price the room, for one thing.   That room might not even be authorized to be a triple occupancy room, since not all rooms are.  If they allow this, it would certainly cost you more money because they would not adjust the quad occupancy fare.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DennysDad said:

What was the reason for not getting insurance? Curious.

5 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

I really appreciate any relevant feedback.

There ya go.  I KNEW someone wouldn't resist the opportunity to go down that road.

• Like 7

All you need to do is change passenger 2 in your parent's room to your wife.  Keep passenger 1 on. Passenger 1 no shows.  Now you have 2 rooms.  You can get extra keeps and do sleeping arrangements however you want. 

• Like 11

You book through a travel agent for a reason,, they are compensated for a reason,, to deal with your vacation,,, the cruise line will or are hesitant dealing directly with you because of your agent,, as previously stated contact cruise line direct

• Like 1

Since you're booked through a TA, you'll need to work through them, so if your TA is not going to process these changes, you'll have to escalate above the TA to a supervisor.  Who, frankly, is most likely going to parrot the TA's points, as those are the standard rules.  I think the only real recourse is if they can plead mercy on your behalf to see if the cruise line will grant some sort of waiver for some of this, which they may do if you're willing to pay the same amount you're currently going to be paying anyway.  Something like keeping the second cabin so you have more room for you and the kids to spread out.

Another alternative would be to see if mom would consider still going and have someone else help dad at home for a week.  Maybe invite another relative to join her.  If she's having to be a caretaker, then she needs a break from that periodically.

• Like 1

Some have had success transferring the cruise to a new date/ship with $100 pp fee if that would work for you.  Could go on a later date and won’t lose the total amount. Of course one of those in the cabin would have to sail on the changed date.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

I’m not sure if this can be done but maybe others will chime in. Perhaps you could switch your wife and from your mothers and cancel your mother then on cruise day make your father a no show. 

Actually this is exactly what I have in mind. If this is possible, I will proceed with the TA to see how it can be done. Thank you!

4 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I am sure this has been considered and without info on said injury may not be feasible or something your dad would want/consider, but people often stay on the ship at ports, use scooters, walkers, wheelchairs to get around and still go on a cruise.  Again, may not be a reasonable option to consider.

Thank you, we have considered this, but this cruise is actually part of bigger trip that includes land travel, so while the cruise part I can try to make it as effortless as possible, the other part of the trip can still be tricky.

36 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Thank you, we have considered this, but this cruise is actually part of bigger trip that includes land travel, so while the cruise part I can try to make it as effortless as possible, the other part of the trip can still be tricky.

Got it.  That stinks but maybe there’s a way?  They could skip the land part and join for the cruise.  I’m sure you’ve thought of all of this…

Depending on the fare paid for guest 3 and 4, they can be fully refunded if X feels generous. YMMV, but my experience was that. My husband broke his ankle 5 days before departure and he was the 3rd in my cabin. We got a full refund (unexpected, thought it was going to a partial FCC). 

The other alternative to consider is you may be able to change the names of others on your cabin if you know of another family member willing to travel on the cruise portion.

4 hours ago, jwlane said:

There ya go.  I KNEW someone wouldn't resist the opportunity to go down that road.

Yep.  Nosey at best and judgmental at worst. 

• Like 4

To the OP, I feel for your situation and hope the best for your parents.

To those reading this post in the future because it came up in a search, it is for the unexpected reasons like this that it is prudent to purchase insurance.

• Like 2

If you are trying to reduce the monetary loss, that is highly unlikely. You would still have to pay additional funds to put the third guest on the no show cabin if they even allow it. It’s ultimately going to be up to the TA to work something out. I would have very low expectation of any flexibility which is unfortunately how it should be. You can check your credit card coverage as a last resort. 

7 hours ago, newtocruisingcdn said:

You book through a travel agent for a reason,, they are compensated for a reason,, to deal with your vacation,,, the cruise line will or are hesitant dealing directly with you because of your agent,, as previously stated contact cruise line direct

The cruise line won't even talk to you to make changes if you have a Travel Agent which is why I never use one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If you are trying to reduce the monetary loss, that is highly unlikely. You would still have to pay additional funds to put the third guest on the no show cabin if they even allow it. It’s ultimately going to be up to the TA to work something out. I would have very low expectation of any flexibility which is unfortunately how it should be. You can check your credit card coverage as a last resort. 

Thanks. I am not expecting a refund, if by any chance I can get FCC or keep the cabin, that would be great.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

How will they keep the room if nobody checks in and boards the ship?

OK, this might, might work. Switch the two male passengers.  Put your father in the quad and you go in the double with your mother.

then both parents are no-shows and you have kept both rooms. That’s if the TA will do it .

• Like 1