The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 9th, 2024

Today is Martyrdom of The Bab, National Dimples Day, and National No Bra Day

I love fools' experiments. I am always making them. - Charles Darwin

Meal Suggestion for today - 15-Minute Broiled Cod with Tomatoes & Herbed Mayonnaise
Drink of the Day - Mint Mojito
Wine of the Day - Chris Ringland Shiraz
Destination of the Day - Fairbanks, Alaska

Today in History:
1877 First ever Wimbledon tennis championship begins - first official lawn tennis tournament - men's singles only

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0630-1500

Oosterdam

Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece 08:00 - 23:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Reykjavik, Iceland eta 07-10

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 09:30 - 17:30

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 21:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 07-10

Zuiderdam

At Sea Scenic Cruising Greenland

0709Alaska.thumb.png.7d0ad6dabf999c748d7938f786a1c82d.png

0709Atlantic.thumb.png.d95d3dcd1ed537d19679e23f134bff67.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 28

Good morning friends!  We are slowing down today as we get closer to Nuuk, 12 or 13 knots.  Perhaps because they are on the watch for bits of icebergs and it’s pretty foggy out most of the time.  Temp was 39 this morning and I don’t think we’ll get too many degrees higher.  We have a long day in Nuuk tomorrow, 8 a.m. until 11 p.m.   I hope we can gradually acclimate to warmer temps each day as we stop in the Maritime Canada ports of call.  And perhaps the temps in the U.S. will begin to cool down 5 or 10 degrees to give everyone some relief!  Last night we moved our clocks back one hour so we are now 3 hours ahead of Eastern time.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  Hopefully Graham @grapau27 will explain the Martyrdom of the Bab.  I like dimples but won’t be observing no bra day.  I’ll pass on the cod, mint mojito and Shiraz.  I’m trying to picture the first men’s singles tennis championship at Wimbledon back in 1877.  That’s quite a long time ago.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Prayers to all here on the Daily.  Hoping that Debbie @dfish feels better today, sending warm thoughts to Jacqui @kazu as she awaits her surgery and prepares for her next big adventure.  Praying for comfort and a better appetite for dear Tana, and an easy day for Terry @smitty34877and family.  Hoping for a very good day for Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando – stay cool!  Prayers too for my DB, Alex/Jordan and the babies, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the poor hostages who must be giving up hope, and to all the men and women of our military stationed in the region.  I hope all the cruisers are enjoying themselves and to all celebrating a special event – Congratulations!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for maintaining the lists and getting up to post them for us each day.

The port today is Fairbanks, Alaska.  We’ve had it twice before on April 13, 2021 and Nov. 19, 2022.  I haven’t been to Fairbanks but my BFF from high school lived there for a while early in her first marriage due to her husband being stationed there.  I used to send letters to her and that’s as far as my relationship with Fairbanks goes!  I’ll post the links to the former dates for your convenience in retrieving your photos.  And thanks in advance for posting them. 

Have a terrific Tuesday and try to stay safe and keep well! 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

DD sent me photos of her tree for this month.  Very patriotic!  I see by the lights out photo that she added some red and blue lights.  No fireworks allowed in the house though!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

I see some colored lights here.

I wonder what's next??

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this AM heading up to 93 with a chance of showers, we have gone 3 days without our usual summer PM showers, sort of weird.

Some silly days.

Pretty funny quote.

I’m in on the meal.

We have been to Alaska but not Fairbanks.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Headed to the eye doctor this morning for a 2-3 hr. measurement test to prepare for catarac surgery.

Mint Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients:

10 fresh mint leaves
1/2 medium lime, cut into 3 wedges, divided
2 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste
1 cup ice cubes, or as needed
1 1/2 oz. white rum
1/2 cup club soda, or as needed

Directions:

Place mint leaves and 1 lime wedge into a sturdy glass. Use a muddler and crush to release mint oils and lime juice.
Add remaining lime wedges and 2 tablespoons sugar, and muddle again to release the lime juice. Do not strain the mixture.
Fill the glass almost to the top with ice.
Pour in rum and fill the glass with club soda.
Stir, taste, and add more sugar if desired.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 6.41.42 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 22

3 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Headed to the eye doctor this morning for a 2-3 hr. measurement test to prepare for catarac surgery.

Mint Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients:

10 fresh mint leaves
1/2 medium lime, cut into 3 wedges, divided
2 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste
1 cup ice cubes, or as needed
1 1/2 oz. white rum
1/2 cup club soda, or as needed

Directions:

Place mint leaves and 1 lime wedge into a sturdy glass. Use a muddler and crush to release mint oils and lime juice.
Add remaining lime wedges and 2 tablespoons sugar, and muddle again to release the lime juice. Do not strain the mixture.
Fill the glass almost to the top with ice.
Pour in rum and fill the glass with club soda.
Stir, taste, and add more sugar if desired.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 6.41.42 AM.png

Good luck at the appointment!  I hope there's no discomfort involved in it.  I keep waiting for the eye doc to tell me I need something like this done.  I'm a big chicken when it comes to the eyes.🐔

• Like 24

Happy Tuesday! Another hot one, perfect day for a mojito.  Aren’t they all made with mint?

Unfortunately, most of us know someone who has suffered with breast cancer.  No Bra Day is an annual observance on October 13 on which women are encouraged to go braless as a means to encourage breast cancer awareness. No Bra Day was initially observed on July 9, 2011, but within three years it had moved to the 13th day of the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, October.  Please get your mammograms!

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Good sunny and humid morning. It already feels like the mid 80’s and no real relief in sight. Tomorrow will bring the remnants of Beryl. 

Stay cool and drink water. 
Blessings to all on our journey.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Heading up to almost 100 today. Yuk. At least I do not have to drive in it. This weekend I packed up my office as the lease is expiring. I just have to move out some of the big furniture. Somewhat sad as I had been in that office since I started my clinical practice five years ago. Working from home is fine, it can be a challenge at times especially when Fancy wants attention, and I am seeing a client. I had a breakthrough with my dissertation. It has been many years since I took my research classes and I have been relearning statistical analysis. With the help of YouTube, I figured out how to work with the data and I am now getting the last two chapters done. Whew! What a relief!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. Stay cool!

Tuesday humor | Animal funny | Cute cat | Work week | Exhausted already ...

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Heartgrove’s DSIL with upcoming surgery

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin seeing the doctor about her arm injury

Luvteaching's DM with a fall and pacemaker placement

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US (Beryl)

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Heartgrove’s DW’s DBIL with pancreatic cancer

Catmando’s DB Scottie post stroke

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

RMLincoln’s DH weaned off eye drops

Mr. Boston’s furniture/belongings delivered to the new house 

Dfish meeting her new great niece Addie

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina July 16 to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th Anniversary

luvteaching (Westerdam to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 21

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the daily and maps @richwmn.   @0106 thanks for the reason for no bra day and the new date to celebrate it.  I get my mammograms annually.   I had dimples when I was young. A good quote from Darwin.  I have not been to today's port.  Today's cod dish would be good but we are not turning on the oven with no AC and days in the 80s and warm nights in the future.  Pass on the minty cocktail.  I think our vino is a good one.   Thanks for researching these for us each day.

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports each day @JazzyV@summer slope Good luck and wishes for great results at your eye procedure today.   Prayers for Tana, Terry, Chuck, Annie, Terri, Bonnie and Jacqui.  Prayers for everyone else in our group who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.   Prayers for everyone cleaning up and without power after Beryl.  That storm in heading towards our downstate home and I saw they were in the bullseye for 6"+ of rain.   They need it more than we do,  it seems it has rained every day here.  @Heartgrove prayers for your DSIL.   I have a friend who is a 10 year survivor of pancreatic cancer, the surgery is massive but with new treatments the success rate is creeping upward.  @StLouisCruisers  great tree!  

With all the windows open I got down to 65 degrees last night.   It is only supposed to get into the high 70s today but I am going to close the place up and shut the drapes.  I saw the weather forecast yesterday so John and I broke down and attached the shade sail to the west side of the cabin.  The logs are dark colored and heat up in the sun and the sail has made a a noted difference.  My DS leaves today.  I am glad she had a brief visit up here so we could give her a break from cooking meals back home.  Her DHs parents moved in with them last month.  It has been a major upheaval in her life, coupled with a wedding shower for her DD this weekend and a destination wedding near Jackson Hole next month.  Have a lovely Tuesday!  Nancy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

56 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this AM heading up to 93 with a chance of showers, we have gone 3 days without our usual summer PM showers, sort of weird.

Some silly days.

Pretty funny quote.

I’m in on the meal.

We have been to Alaska but not Fairbanks.

Have a great day and stay well.

Mister 67. I did not know there a day celebrating golf balls; National Dimples Day! 😀

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

I wish I could send this little iceberg to y'all to help cool you down.  Just passed by on the port side.  Taken with my IPhone 8 which has little zoom though.  About a mile away.

I also took photos with my camera which has a much better zoom.  Those I don't have access to right this second.  With the temp at 39 or 40 and the wind chill on the deck it was literally freezing out there!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good luck at the appointment!  I hope there's no discomfort involved in it.  I keep waiting for the eye doc to tell me I need something like this done.  I'm a big chicken when it comes to the eyes.🐔

Me too.  But I have several friends who have had this done here and say it is not something to be anxious about.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Our breeze woke up early this morning and last evening’s T-storms helped clear out the humidity - for now. I was surrounded by storms, but none passed overhead, so no rain. I need to water a few things this morning. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I could not handle your house. Stairs are a real problem for me. Long story. So I would need to relocate the laundry or move. And I saw that you are lifting BFF’s scooter, too. No pain? What a recovery!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, and pool time. I need to follow up with my lawn service of my pest control company. Again. 

IMG_3126.jpeg.a9e1ad84fd0ed2d21ec85918ce062fad.jpeg

IMG_3122.jpeg.9f0279da21cd3c4e93fbcf1a46555e75.jpeg

IMG_3127.jpeg.51a28cc2996ea2d4caee91a011c874ee.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you have a good day. Prayers for all the caregivers. You make it happen. Every day. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @RMLincoln Maureen no eye drops! A true reason to celebrate!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Chris Ringland Shiraz

Shiraz lovers may have heard of this Australian vintner. Though not elusive, the latest vintage of any of his three labels I could find for sale was the 2019 and it was offered for $150.00. Earlier vintages’ & his flagship label prices increased exponentially. 

Distributor notes

Chris Ringland is one of the foremost winemakers in Australia. He produces Shiraz-based wines from both his own Barossa vineyard and from those managed by the North Barossa Vintners company; both bear his name. The flagship wine is the Chris Ringland Dry Grown Barossa Ranges Shiraz, which is one of the most highly priced wines made in Australia, and is produced in tiny quantities. It is known for its rich texture and weight, and has received 100-point ratings from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate on five occasions.

Since 1995 the wine has come from the unirrigated Stone Chimney Creek Vineyard, a 2 hectare (5 acre) block of very old vines in the Barossa Ranges. It is typically fermented in new French oak open top vats and aged in new French oak hogsheads (300 litres) for 48 months. It is then matured in bottle for several more years before release. The Dry Grown Barossa Ranges Shiraz has been known to reach as much as 17 percent alcohol. A second wine from the property, Randall's Hill, is made from parcels deemed less ageworthy, and is only released in certain years. Just a handful of barrels of each wine are made.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 18
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here

DSIL had her appointment with the thoracic surgeon. It is scheduled for August 20 and the doctor went through the whole procedure with her. She will be using robotic assistance for the laparoscopic procedure. Probably one night stay in the hospital and soft food for six weeks. The doctor said that Sue and I shouldn't cancel our Transatlantic on the Rotterdam.

It will be a busy August as Lily has her second birthday, DSIL's surgery -  and the birth of  Lily's sister!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 35

8 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Mister 67. I did not know there a day celebrating golf balls; National Dimples Day! 😀

Good one RNB.

• Like 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's already very warm here, we had some rain overnight.  We have a special weather statement advising of possible heavy rain over the next few days as the remnants of Beryl affect us.

I don't know about the Martyrdom of Bab (guess I should ask Mr Google), I don't have dimples and the reason for bra-less is important.  I had a mammogram last fall, I have them on a regular basis.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink and I'd like the wine, if I win the lottery.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations. 

Have a great day.   Stay cool.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Me too.  But I have several friends who have had this done here and say it is not something to be anxious about.

Praying that you find there is nothing to be anxious about!

• Like 28

Good morning to all.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for your dedication to the FR&D

interesting days.  Thank you to to Tina for the info on National No Bra Day.  i don’t think I can do it though.

We have a lot of things happening.  Yesterday I had a busy day.  I had a meeting with the attorney in order to modify my estate documents.  Given the situation with DH I had to make sure that my Will and POA and Health Care Proxy are in order.  it does not seem that DH should be the one making any important decisions at this point.  i find this very sad—especially that I could not even tell him where I was going and what I was doing.

We also found two water marks on our Master Bath ceiling.  I have to find out the source and get this fixed.  The last thing I need is another water event in this house.

The surge protector for our AV equipment died and I had to contact the electric company to replace it.  

The Grandfather Clock is off.  It is not chiming correctly.  I have to call a clock company in Savannah to come and look at it.

I have been in touch with the nurse at the Orthopedic Dept. at the Mayo Clinic.  I have had no relief at all from the pain in my right arm.

Shall I go on? 

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 19