Getting medallions sent to you

ShelleyK

Does getting your medallion sent to you ahead of the cruise really help with embarkation? Is it worth the postage? (Did not opt for pkgs to get it free) Does it help speed up the embarking process?  It's been several years since I sailed with Princess, so this is new for me. 

Thanks!

ShelleyK

• Like 1

It really depends on the port. We've been places where the 'blue lane' was enormous and others where having the medallion in advance made little difference. We get Plus so shipping is included. If we weren't on a package I probably wouldn't pay shipping. 

• Like 3

Agree with @cruzsnooze  In my experience, green versus blue lane equals, worst case, 7-10 minutes more. 

The biggest (only?) benefit of getting your medallion mailed is an intangible one -- getting it the mail is the physical evidence that your vacation is going to start soon.  That's always an exciting thing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know if this still holds or not, but depending on your status level it might help.  We wear our medallions on the free lanyard, and being at platinum level, we have had port staff direct us to a different line we were approaching without our needing to ask somebody where to go.  If one is a lower loyalty level, I wouldn't think it would matter much.

Of course, getting your medallion shipped early and it doesn't display your loyalty level but has the logo of your favorite Curling team on it won't help either.  😄 

Again, I don't recall if platinum and elite had separate green lane lines on my last sailing.  It may have been that the loyalty level perk became available after the security lane.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

😄I don't recall if platinum and elite had separate green lane lines on my last sailing.

While it may vary from port to port. Elite had no special line, out of LA in April this year. 

To the OP, while receiving the Medallion early may heighten your anticipation of the cruise, it also raises your anxiety should you do not receive it before you leave home. Yes, you can get a new one, but you have to wonder, who might get your mail. A crook may realize you're on vacation. We've been victims of home robbery while on a cruise.

To each their own, but we'll go Blue line and make sure all is in order at the desk. I'd rather have peace of mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It really depends on the port. We've been places where the 'blue lane' was enormous and others where having the medallion in advance made little difference. We get Plus so shipping is included. If we weren't on a package I probably wouldn't pay shipping. 

Same here...we *generally* have a package but we would not spring for the shipping cost if we did not do a package. 

• Like 2

Then there is the dreaded message.  I've heard of the Medallion going from Point A to B to C to D, before coming back across the continent.  I understand that the battery doesn't last very long and hence the 14 day window.  But you would think (oops) there must be a better method of shipping.

Message has not changed in 6 days.

On Its Way to USPS

Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item

CARSON, CA 90746 

I like getting them in the mail. Do I want to pay for shipping? No. Do I get "free" shipping for only $60 per person per day? Yep. I think if I was sailing out of Vancouver I might actually pay for shipping. Boarding there is not a great experience and I would hate to make it even marginally slower.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve experienced very long blue lane lines and very short green lane lines.  To me, it’s worth the $10 to have it shipped.  That’s my personal choice, though.  

It's worth it to me too. Hubby hates waiting in lines. I like making hubby happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

does having to pick up the medallion at port IN ANY WAY delay you getting on the ship, running to the Sanctuary or Dining venues to make reservations?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

does having to pick up the medallion at port IN ANY WAY delay you getting on the ship, running to the Sanctuary or Dining venues to make reservations?

Picking up the medallion is an extra step in the check in process. It would typically delay you by one to ten minutes in my experience.

• Like 1

Living in Canada we have always had the Medallions shipped to our home. It has cost us $15US total. Once on board I purchase the Princess Plus package, then head straight to Guest Services and my wife and I each get $10 onboard credit. I have found having the Medallions and being placed in the Green Lane has resulted in very fast boarding for us - recently on a cruise out of San Pedro we were sat in the atrium enjoying a beverage at 10.30 am

• Like 2

Several people have said that getting the medallion ahead of time depends on the port. The port is Southampton in the UK. Does that make a difference? 

On 7/11/2024 at 2:28 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Then there is the dreaded message.  I've heard of the Medallion going from Point A to B to C to D, before coming back across the continent.  I understand that the battery doesn't last very long and hence the 14 day window.  But you would think (oops) there must be a better method of shipping.

Message has not changed in 6 days.

On Its Way to USPS

CARSON, CA 90746 

It's on its way from I think Singapore. This is the longest portion of the journey.  The wording of the tracking leaves a lot to be desired but if you look up the shipping company listed elsewhere on the tracking you'll see it's a chinese shipping company.  The medallion is not IN Carson, they're waiting for it in Carson.  Once it gets there it'll take however long things usually take to get to you from Southern California.

• Like 1

Not sure if this helps, but I am enrolled with USPS Informed Delivery.

This morning, I received a tracking notice from USPS that a tracking number has been assigned and to expect a delivery date notice once vendor has delivered package to USPS.

As I've not ordered anything online recently, and we are about 3 weeks away from our cruise, I expect this is early warning that our Medallions are in process and will be on the way very soon.

I hope so!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am wondering where to find tracking info? I am waiting for medallions.

You should get an e-mail about 3 weeks before your cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 2:17 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Same here...we *generally* have a package but we would not spring for the shipping cost if we did not do a package. 

exact same.  Seems 9 times out of 10 blue lane is slightly slower but not by a noticeable amount.  Seems some embarkation ports have better processes than others though because there are accounts of more significant differences where people have regretted not getting their medallion shipped.  Having said that as someone who goes almost exclusively out of FLL they have always had their act together in my experience and if I didn't have a package I probably wouldn't spring for the shipping.

On my last cruise in February, I had the Plus Package, but it was the first-generation package which didn't include free shipping.  That being said, I placed my medallion order before Princess started to charge for shipping.  I needed to update my credit card number in the app for ordering the medallion and accessories.  Princess treated the order as a new order and charged me the shipping fee.  Once I was onboard, I went to Passenger Services to request a refund of the shipping costs.  I was told I had to go to the kiosk where the medallion accessories are sold and take it up with them.  I explained the situation to the lady working the medallion area and she told me that there was always a shipping charge for the medallions.  I told her she was wrong, and she needed to double check what I told her with her home office.  Two days later there was a $10 OBC added to my folio.  💰 :classic_smile:

I have my medallion shipped, pay the $10, don't pay much attention to:

On 7/11/2024 at 11:28 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

On Its Way to USPS

CARSON, CA 90746 

Which is simply an indication that the Chinese company requested a USPS shipping #. 

Let's me know when to start thinking about what to pack. I like to plan ahead

I'll happily collect mine at the embarkation port. Just can't be bothered with all the faffing about for the sake of a couple on minutes saved in the boarding process.