The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 22nd, 2024

Today is Casual Pi Day, Fragile X Awareness Day, and National Be A Good Teammate Day

When God sneezed, I didn't know what to say. - Henny Youngman

Meal Suggestion for today - Coleslaw Recipe
Drink of the Day - Bloody Caesar
Wine of the Day - Markus Altenburger 2019 Gritschenberg Blaufränkisch (Leithaberg)
Destination of the Day - Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

Today in History:
1515 First Congress of Vienna settles issues between Poland and Holy Roman Empire - rise of the Habsburgs influence
1894 World's first competitive motor race
1933 American aviator Wiley Post becomes the first person to fly solo around the Earth

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Eidfjord, Norway 0700-1500

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 07-23

Oosterdam

Valletta, Malta 08:00 - 21:00

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Saint John NB, New Brunswick Canada 08:00 - 14:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07-23

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada eta 07-23

0722World.thumb.png.1d41bd06565a39ebb93c06ead2a8aa04.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 27

Good morning friends!  I slept pretty well last night so no surprise there.  But it's time to get up and get myself back on schedule again.  The weather at home is 70 and cloudy.  High will be 85 and we have good chances of afternoon rain.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the location maps.  An excellent collection of conversation points.  I appreciate all the reports from Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the descriptions of the coleslaw recipe, Bloody Caesar, and the wine.

Prayers for my DB, twin sister and Alex and Jordan's twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our men and women in the military overseas.  Lots of prayers for our Care list folks who are in need of them.  I admit I haven't read all of the the last two days of Daily reports but will do that ASAP.  I hope Jacqui @kazu, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando are doing okay.  Congrats to all celebrating special events and the cruisers.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up with us all and making the lists.  

The port of the day is a new one!  Newcastle Upon Tyne, England!  This destination is very close to where Graham @grapau27 and Pauline live so I'm sure he can tell us a thing or two about Newcastle.  We visited Newcastle Upon Tyne in 2018 on the Prinsendam.  I'll collect my photos shortly.

I hope everyone has a good day today.  Stay safe and keep well.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

NoGood morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 important days.

Today's port is 15 miles from our home.

There is an outside shopping outlet around 1000 metres up the road from the terminal.

There are lots of things to see nearby especially lots of fantastic beaches.

I hope everyone is well and looking forward to a new week.

Screenshot_20240722_113626.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_113722.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 18

In 1969, the owners of the Calgary Inn in Calgary, Alberta, asked Walter Chell, the Montenegrin who presided over their Owl’s Nest bar, to create a recipe to represent their new Italian restaurant in a contest. So Chell took some vodka, a bit of Worcestershire and a little Tabasco, added a mix of clam and tomato juices and dubbed it the “Bloody Caesar.” It sounds rather odd, but it’s the national drink of Canada and has been so practically since Chell invented—or should I say “invented”—it.  Which kind of inventor was Chell?

Chell was a h***l of a bartender, there’s no doubt about that. But as far back as 1953, Walter Winchell was writing about a Smirnoff Smiler, which called for vodka, clam juice, tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce. And in 1968, Clamato (that’s the duo of clam and tomato juices) was pushing a Clam Digger, which is basically the same drink without the spices. But nobody asks for Clam Diggers or Smirnoff Smilers these days.
Ingredients:
Celery salt to rim glass
1 1/2 oz. vodka
4 oz. Clamato juice
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 dases Tabasco sauce
Prepared horseradish, to taste
Garnish: celery stalk
Garnish: cucumber spear
Garnish: lime wedge
Directions:
Coat the rim of a tall glass with celery salt, fill with ice and set aside.
Add the vodka, Clamato juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and horseradish into a mixing glass with ice.
Pour back and forth into another mixing glass a few times to combine.
Strain into the prepared glass.
Garnish with a celery stalk, cucumber spear and lime wedge.

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 6.49.08 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 24

Newcastle upon Tyne, England UK

On Sept. 2, 2018 we boarded the Prinsendam for our Irish, Scottish and European River cruise.  It was a great itinerary.  At our first port of call, Tyne, we took a shuttle bus to Tynemouth to the train station.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We walked around town a little bit before going to the train station.

With the help of a train station employee at the Tynemouth station, we purchased tickets to the town of Newcastle upon Tyne.

The city is located on the Tyne River.  The pedestrian bridge here is called the Gateshead Millennium Bridge.

The Glasshouse International Centre for Music

Newcastle Castle

St. Nicholas Cathedral

Walking along the quayside we saw this little sandy beach they had fashioned with beach chairs and cabanas.  The day was cloudy and in the upper 50's so that was pretty optimistic!

At left is St. James' Park, home of the Newcastle United Football Club.

Nearby is the Chinatown "gate".

If I ever go back to Newcastle Upon Tyne, I'll be happy to have the opportunity to meet my new friends Graham @grapau27 and Pauline. 😉

• Like 27
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Happy Monday.  Thanks for the Report.

A lot cooler this morning, only 9°C (48°F) but it should warm up this afternoon.

Three good days to observe.

Amusing quote.

I like coleslaw, I don't like Bloody Caesars, I hope I'll like the wine.

I haven't been to today's port, but I watch Vera so I've seen some of it.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Happy Monday!  Let’s eat some pie today! Last night I was looking at tomato pie recipes.  It’s that time of year.

IMG_0696.jpeg.7e74f7deb3b3008f6d72cc46e096007c.jpeg

Casual Pi Day (or Pi Approximation Day) is celebrated 22 July. The fraction 22/7 is an approximate value of Pi, and it is for this reason that this day is commemorated on July 22. 

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I’ll celebrate good teammates but have no idea what the other 2 days are.  Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  

A funny quote by Youngman.

I was in Newcasttle just once, way back in 2003 to board the ferry Prince of Scandanavia on the way to Gothenburg..

wrld1180.jpg.8787e34cad389d3c734ffc0389167828.jpg

Three very diverse days in history but certainly a great one for aviation..

I’ll pass on the meal. , My alternative will be on a 2-day hiatus.

Not sure how today will go.  I have my routine oncology appointment, my computer at the fire house seems to have been caught in the CrowdStrike mess, and I have a bank account that has to be reissued in the wake of my data hack..

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

I have a sunset today, not a sunrise.  It's from my 2007 upper Amazon cruise, taken shortly after boarding La Amatista in Iquitos 17 years ago today.

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.1b1789a6a9210926d3af1

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuckk’s immunotherapy today

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Vict0riann’s DD having Covid

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Superoma and DH recovering from Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 45th Birthday to NextOne’s DS!

Cruzin Terri’s water leak stopped

RMLincoln’s DH having some good eye pressure readings this week

Kazu’s Ivan did well with dental surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam July 27 to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland

Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to July 23) 5d Bermuda Cruise, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Thanks for the daily and maps Rich and good morning everyone.  Thanks for the pi definitions Graham and Tina and Graham for Fragile X definition.  Not a team member but I guess I could count my garden club.  Funny quote.  I like Cole slaw, pass on clammy cocktail and probably will enjoy the wine which I think is Austrian.  Thanks for researching these for us each day. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for Tana, Terry, Chuck, Annie, Terri, Jacqui and Bonnie.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

A beautiful day ahead here.  If there are clouds I might go fishing.  The lake is so clear and if there are no clouds or wind on the water fishing is difficult in a large pontoon boat.  Have a lovely day!   Nancy 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Newcastle upon Tyne, England UK

On Sept. 2, 2018 we boarded the Prinsendam for our Irish, Scottish and European River cruise.  It was a great itinerary.  At our first port of call, Tyne, we took a shuttle bus to Tynemouth to the train station.

We walked around town a little bit before going to the train station.

With the help of a train station employee at the Tynemouth station, we purchased tickets to the town of Newcastle upon Tyne.

The city is located on the Tyne River.  The pedestrian bridge here is called the Gateshead Millennium Bridge.

The Glasshouse International Centre for Music

Newcastle Castle

St. Nicholas Cathedral

Walking along the quayside we saw this little sandy beach they had fashioned with beach chairs and cabanas.  The day was cloudy and in the upper 50's so that was pretty optimistic!

At left is St. James' Park, home of the Newcastle United Football Club.

Nearby is the Chinatown "gate".

If I ever go back to Newcastle Upon Tyne, I'll be happy to have the opportunity to meet my new friends Graham @grapau27 and Pauline. 😉

Lovely photos Sandi.

Hopefully some day we will have the opportunity to see you both and be your hosts for the day.

This first picture is the beach at South Shields which  is beautiful and behind you can see the pier of the River Tyne and also Tynemouth castle that Sandi mentioned and the cruise terminal is a couple of miles up river.

Picture 2 is Bamburgh Castle which overlooks the North sea.

Picture 3 is Seahouses with the Farne Islands in the background.

Both are around 35 miles from the port.

There is only the shopping outlet near the port and you need tours to see the various attractions.

Tours of Hadrian's wall a Roman wall is interesting.

Alnwick castle and gardens is around 30 miles away.

The city of Durham and the castle and cathedral are well worth seeing on tours.

Screenshot_20240722_120130.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_114937.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_120051.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 12

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I’ll celebrate good teammates but have no idea what the other 2 days are.  Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  

A funny quote by Youngman.

I was in Newcasttle just once, way back in 2003 to board the ferry Prince of Scandanavia on the way to Gothenburg..

wrld1180.jpg.8787e34cad389d3c734ffc0389167828.jpg

Three very diverse days in history but certainly a great one for aviation..

I’ll pass on the meal. , My alternative will be on a 2-day hiatus.

Not sure how today will go.  I have my routine oncology appointment, my computer at the fire house seems to have been caught in the CrowdStrike mess, and I have a bank account that has to be reissued in the wake of my data hack..

Roy

Best wishes and good luck today Roy.

• Like 20

Good Morning and Thank you for the Daily Reports!!

Casual Pi Day...  I guess any Pi deserves a casual day, too!!

I love coleslaw, but am picky about the base...  Mayo vs oil and vinegar.  I'm a Mayo Gal and a basic blend of spices.  But, I'm excited to see the variations and recipes!

I'll pass on the Bloody Caesar, but I'll try the Austrian Wine.  And i'd love to see the Destination of the Day!!  The highlight being to meet @grapau27 Graham and Pauline!!

Have a fun day and enjoy yourself!!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

I am so happy @StLouisCruisers Sandi and Dennis made it home safely.  I don't think I can do that kind of drive with no sleep anymore.  Sure would like to hear from @kazu Jacqui on how she is doing.  

Nothing on the agenda today except the gym.  We hit the grocery store on the way home from brunch yesterday, so that chore is taken care of.  It is supposed to be a nice day with partly sunny skies and a high temperature of 81F.  There is a chance of rain early pm, but we shall see. 

It seems like we just had coleslaw as a recipe, but here it is again.  That is ok!  Put some burgers on the grill - real ones, not those zucchini imposters - and mix up the coleslaw and you have dinner.  Easy Coleslaw

coleslaw5.thumb.jpg.a7365434038cb39db87a22b4c6f79c60.jpg

This next recipe adds in scallions and celery seed.  Both provide great flavor.  Creamy Coleslaw

coleslaw6.thumb.jpg.9bd1b140ded0c2e2433a75aeee7f87f7.jpg

Here Chef Dennis offers his favorite coleslaw recipe.  Homemade Coleslaw

coleslaw7.thumb.jpg.4eef7c87ce29f6eb2e089e843e9d709a.jpg

Happy Birthday to @NextOne's DS!

Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Checking in with a quick post - seems all I can do.  Finally got 7 hours sleep the night before last but alas not again, last night.  Feeling unwell and very tired.  But sutures are holding and it will all pass (I hope).  It’s hard for me to keep up with much right now, so please forgive me missing cares and celebrations.  Prayers to all in need.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 36

4 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

Good Morning and Thank you for the Daily Reports!!

Casual Pi Day...  I guess any Pi deserves a casual day, too!!

I love coleslaw, but am picky about the base...  Mayo vs oil and vinegar.  I'm a Mayo Gal and a basic blend of spices.  But, I'm excited to see the variations and recipes!

I'll pass on the Bloody Caesar, but I'll try the Austrian Wine.  And i'd love to see the Destination of the Day!!  The highlight being to meet @grapau27 Graham and Pauline!!

Have a fun day and enjoy yourself!!!

Thank you for your nice comments Lambie.

We have been CC friends for 4 years and we both would love to meet you in person some day.

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A lovely morning graced with the presence of the full moon. Lots of deer out enjoying breakfast.  We had a great deal of sheet lightning last night. No thunder; no rain - just a light show. 

Vanessa, thank you for taking such great care of our lists. Hopefully you feel a bit better. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, maybe some pool time. Normal day!

IMG_3118.jpeg.1efb5b03d133b57bce0a0de82290e810.jpeg

IMG_3173.jpeg.b99aa89fbe3e01cffc48fed8aa6ca131.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg.a6045981da69c637cf826b6a3e31b501.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying that Tana and Chuck each have a good day and eat well. 

Prayers for our caregivers. Who give so much, even when exhausted. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Markus Altenburger 2019 Gritschenberg Blaufränkisch (Leithaberg)

This Austrian red might be too much for me, but I would love a taste. It is elusive, but I found one online distributor who ships to me. It is also a bit pricey - the distributor I found offers it for $49.00.

96 Wine Enthusiast 

Smoldering charcoal note opens up this velvety red, followed by notes of ganache and cassis. Its core is pretty muscular, as this firms up with the ripe tannins, begging for a bit more time and patience, but nevertheless, it is still quite impressive at this stage. The wine shows a slight perky mineral on the distinctive finish. It will benefit from cellaring, yet with the right meal, it would be a great companion. Best after 2025. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 5

Good morning. Three good days to celebrate with thanks for explaining them  Graham @grapau27. I love seeing Newcastle in the Vera shows but would enjoy being there in person especially if I could meet Pauline and Graham.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I am so glad that you are safely home and marvel at your energy level. Just thinking about that drive makes me tired. Thank you for the pictures and commentary on your latest cruise. I enjoyed your daily updates.

Happy Birthday to the DS  of @NextOne!

My DB leaves today and will be sorely missed. He is a tremendous help in so many ways but is looking forward to seeing his granddaughter this week.

Have a great day everyone and stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. Three good days to celebrate with thanks for explaining them  Graham @grapau27. I love seeing Newcastle in the Vera shows but would enjoy being there in person especially if I could meet Pauline and Graham.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I am so glad that you are safely home and marvel at your energy level. Just thinking about that drive makes me tired. Thank you for the pictures and commentary on your latest cruise. I enjoyed your daily updates.

Happy Birthday to the DS  of @NextOne!

My DB leaves today and will be sorely missed. He is a tremendous help in so many ways but is looking forward to seeing his granddaughter this week.

Have a great day everyone and stay safe.

Thank you for your nice words Terry and we would love to see you too.

I hope Tana is okay.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Another beautiful day in store for us.  Thanks for all of the daily updates.  

I’m confused about the difference between casual pi day 22/7 and pi day 3/14.  I guess you can never have too many reasons to eat pie!  Hopefully more research in fragile x will lead to advances in the treatment of autism.  It’s important for all to be a good teammate.

The quote is funny!

I’d like today’s recipe as a side dish and pass on the drink.

I have not been to today’s port, thanks for sharing all of your lovely photos of it.  

Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 26