What is a discontinued service/amenity you miss the most from a cruise?

13 minutes ago, mom says said:

Why? If you are always looking back, don't you risk not seeing what's in front of you?

Well, to be fair, cruise lines take more away. I remember a free welcome glass of bubbly, chocolate on the pillow, twice a day cabin service, free room service, lobster night, chocolate buffet…

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Lunch in the MDR on port days.

A good issue.  But it does come down to personal choices.  If you want lunch in a MDR on port days, it does exist on some cruise lines.  But the trend is certainly to eliminate the practice.  Most recently even Seabourn seems to have stopped the practice.  That being said, on our last Seabourn cruise, they did have the MDR opened for lunch (even on Port days) and we would walk through and see fewer than 4 folks enjoying that lunch.  On our MSC Yacht Club cruises, in the Caribbean, it was nice to have port day lunches in their dedicated restaurant.  There were times when we would be the only couple in the restaurant (for lunch) which does call into question whether it makes sense.  On MSC, the Yacht Club's restaurant is private and has its own galley and dining room staff.  So, there were probably more than 8 folks, working in that venue, just to serve one couple.

When we were on the new Explora Journey 1, they always had one restaurant (they have 4 plus a Lido) opened for lunch...even on port days.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Ncl has a full service restaurant open on port days, at least on the sailings we were on. What I really miss is not having cabin service more than 1 time per day because management has cut back on stewards and over works the staff.  They don’t even have time to properly introduce themselves and I feel guilty taking up their time.

I miss the caviar that was served. Up to a point I miss that most lines have no dress codes , I don’t want to go back to the 1970’s when everyone had a suit and tie at night but some reasonable code that is enforced should exist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1- 2 a day cabin service

2-  chocolate night 

3- full service in MDR 

4- warm bread in MDR

5- cruise compass printed

6- skeet shooting (saw this was done way back, and think it’d be fun)

7- tux rentals

8- observed dress code in MDR

16 hours ago, asouthey1 said:

Please let me know the cruise line/ship and the specific service/amenity 

A couple of line-specific examples:

First, I miss the future cruise desks and seminars on Carnival. They both seemed wildly popular, but around 2017 the future cruise incentive was changed to a code for dollars off a cruise booked within 2 weeks of returning from a Carnival cruise.

Second, on Princess, I miss their 80s themed cruises. I'm on a Princess cruise RIGHT NOW and they had a nice 80s day, but I wanted more. This one had a short life from late 2021 to early 2023, but it doesn't seem that Princess is scheduling any more of these and that makes me sad. 😢

I do miss little things. 

Most of all, I miss food quality. Started cruising in 2012 on Celebrity Equinox, the food there was better than in most restaurants on land. That is long gone.

Also miss the personal touch in MDRs. Those guys on that cruise knew all my preferences at day 2 and prepared my part of the table just the way they had observed on days 1 and 2. Not to mention the whole staff at the table knew my name.

I miss the cabin steward to be more of a personal butler. The guy on my first cruise even came to my cabin to help my adjust my rental tuxedo because I never had worn one and did not know how to wear it correctly. Not to mention he took his time for a minutes long chat almost every day.

I guess that is the second part I mist the most. Personal feel.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

skeet shooting (saw this was done way back, and think it’d be fun)

First and last time we experienced this was 1992 on RCCL.  Don't recall it on any of their ships after that.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

1- 2 a day cabin service

2-  chocolate night 

3- full service in MDR 

4- warm bread in MDR

5- cruise compass printed

6- skeet shooting (saw this was done way back, and think it’d be fun)

7- tux rentals

8- observed dress code in MDR

If you choose to sail on a great cruise line, you can still have most of those things.

The fare you pay for that great cruise - factoring inflation - will be about the same you would have paid decades ago.

If you choose to take a cheapatoni mass market cruise today, you will not get those things.

Tux rentals are gone, and dress codes in MDRs are disappearing - mainly because the majority of today's cruise passsengers prefer to dress as if they are on a camping trip.

Skeet shooting is gone because many local and international laws prohibit cruise ships bringing guns into other countries.

But we are considering re-instating skeet shooting, to be scheduled right after the whiskey tasting.Since the Medical Department is now considered a revenue department, this should help them reach budget goals.

Edited by Donald
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On our very first cruise after we reached the end of the gangway and were greeted by white-uniformed ship’s personnel, a nearby steward offered us a glass of Champagne.

That was the last time that happened, but change is the spice of life.  Our current workaround is to bring our own bottle and enjoy it on our balcony as we are motoring out to sea.

Life is good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Did you try it?

No.  It was our first cruise and we happened upon it and just watched.  They obviously only did it on sea days and on that cruise only scheduled it on one day, which was booked by the time we realized it.  But it did look like fun.

• Thanks 1

Just a better customer to staff ratio.

Although, on our last cruise this past January on Celebrity Silhouette it was better than the last several cruises. BUT, not like it used to be. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Just a better customer to staff ratio.

Although, on our last cruise this past January on Celebrity Silhouette it was better than the last several cruises. BUT, not like it used to be. 

Yes, it was nice when your cabin steward instead of being vastly overworked had time to have a conversation with you.

• Like 2

On the other hand when I started cruising there were no balconies. Our last cruise had huge balcony with a couple of lounge chairs chairs and table and hot tub , of course it was a suite . Plus butlers didn’t exist at least not in the inside cabins I used to book. As Bob says the times they are a changing.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 4:38 PM, George C said:

I miss the caviar that was served. Up to a point I miss that most lines have no dress codes , I don’t want to go back to the 1970’s when everyone had a suit and tie at night but some reasonable code that is enforced should exist.

If you like caviar, that is one reason to cruise on Seabourn.  On that line you can order decent Caviar (at no additional cost) from Room Service, whenever (and as often) as you please.  I will often order a double portion (which comes with a large round tray of fixens) when I am enjoying a cocktail before dinner.  The bar tender puts in the order, and in a few minutes a large portion of caviar appears :).  That line also has "Caviar in the Surf" when cruising in the appropriate warm waters, and other times will have the senior officers serve caviar in the ship's pool (off a surfboard).  Lots of fun for caviar lovers.

Hank

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you like caviar, that is one reason to cruise on Seabourn.  On that line you can order decent Caviar (at no additional cost) from Room Service, whenever (and as often) as you please.  I will often order a double portion (which comes with a large round tray of fixens) when I am enjoying a cocktail before dinner.  The bar tender puts in the order, and in a few minutes a large portion of caviar appears :).  That line also has "Caviar in the Surf" when cruising in the appropriate warm waters, and other times will have the senior officers serve caviar in the ship's pool (off a surfboard).  Lots of fun for caviar lovers.

Hank

Re caviar...can you get it wherever you 'sleep' on the ship. I just LOVE those little eggs. (And, hey, come to Seattle where we have Seattle Caviar.  https://caviar.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Re caviar...can you get it wherever you 'sleep' on the ship. I just LOVE those little eggs. (And, hey, come to Seattle where we have Seattle Caviar.  https://caviar.com/

Absolutely.  We have one cruising friend that puts in a standing order for caviar to be delivered in late afternoon, so they can enjoy during shower time,  Seabourn has a long-time reputation for their caviar (which is very good domestic).  Their "Caviar in the Surf" is one of the most memorable events we have experienced in the cruise world.

When we were in the Carribean, they rented the entire Carambola Beach Club on St Kitts.  The passengers were all tendered ashore to a full day beach party (including BBQ lunch with items like grilled lobster, steak, etc).  We  were laying on the beach around noon, when we heard a loud siren.  In came a speed boat (from our ship) with the Captain, Hotel Manager, and a few other officers,  When the boat stopped off-shore, the Hotel Manager, in his dress whites, jumped into the water (about chest high) and waded over to a nearby surf board.  He carried, over his head, a large container (about a kilo) of Caviar,  Passengers were invited to wade out to the surf board where they were served champagne and caviar.  Was truly a fun moment.  This only happens when they have the right port (such as with St Kitts or a small island in Greece).    Is Seabourn perfect?  No, they have their negatives just like every line.  But they often do get things right.

Hank

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Absolutely.  We have one cruising friend that puts in a standing order for caviar to be delivered in late afternoon, so they can enjoy during shower time,  Seabourn has a long-time reputation for their caviar (which is very good domestic).  There "Caviar in the Surf" is one of the most memorable events we have experienced in the cruise world.

When we were in the Carribean, they rented the entire Carambola Beach Club on St Kitts.  The passengers were all tendered ashore to a full day beach party (including BBQ lunch with items like grilled lobster, steak, etc).  We  were laying on the beach around noon, when we heard a loud siren.  In came a speed boat (from our ship) with the Captain, Hotel Manager, and a few other officers,  When the boat stopped off-shore, the Hotel Manager, in his dress whites, jumped into the water (about chest high) and waded over to a nearby surf board.  He carried, over his head, a large container (about a kilo) of Caviar,  Passengers were invited to wade out to the surf board where they were served champagne and caviar.  Was truly a fun moment.  This only happens when they have the right port (such as with St Kitts or a small island in Greece).    Is Seabourn perfect?  No, they have their negatives just like every line.  But they often do get things right.

Hank

What a great story! Thanks...a kilogram or two 🙂