The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 11th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning all!

It's another cloudy morning, but it will clear up later.  The forecast calls for 10 days of cooler weather, maybe even some rain later this week.  It almost feels like summer is over, but I'm sure we'll get more beautiful weather in late Aug-early Sept.

Interesting days, and funny quote.  I've always liked Jay Leno -- and there are very few comedians I could say that about.  I would like the last recipe, but pass on the drink and red wine.  We've been to this port, we went to Olympia and then a wine tasting.  

Today Smudge and Soot (grand-kitties) will arrive for a week's stay.  I've left all the kitty-proofing in place from their last visit -- but it will sure be nice to get the house back in order after this week! 😂

Cheers to all who are celebrating or cruising, and prayers for all on the Care List.  

Our day in Olympia:

Olive trees

936478173_olivetrees.jpg.2fcf1cea6efc61bd9db97e3e3eab7cc7.jpg

877829006_Olympiasite.jpg.af4ce514b9da8d981bb6a399adb68b88.jpg

401083684_Olympiaruins.jpg.7399d9daaf4e6847b2290c4f594ff14e.jpg

76107940_Olympiacolumns.jpg.d6ce5553eb2aeef73bdc52e1a22a022d.jpg

Olympia.jpg.fcef447a492a5cdaec7c389e242e3baf.jpg

233209220_tumbledcolumns.jpg.335831d10e8e2016db0a18ae46c80b2b.jpg

Bowl where the flame sat

810786081_bowlwhereflamewaslit.jpg.bbab058209c05689d7903e1a1b348d95.jpg

Footprint of the 9-foot statue that had been on this pedestal

359486540_9-foottallstatuefootprint.thumb.jpg.02505b7746794c1294edcefd14cbea2a.jpg

entry.jpg.0c97078561459d9ff277dae1cde5b234.jpg

1425303361_tallcolumns.thumb.jpg.4082659a8791621e3c2eef7d17e3f715.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

@marshhawk have you considered a river cruis in US?  ACL does some in Tennessee and some inland waterway trips near you.   Very low key, okay for mobility / stamina challenged. Many included excursions.   Wine/beer with lunch and dinner included, as well as most (maybe not ALL depending on time of day, but hard to find times not included) other bar drinks.   Local, but low key , onboard entertainment and lectures/ presentations (all very good on my recent Tennessee River cruise).

food is good, cabins are very spacious    Ships are relatively new and light/bright.

not a far travel, but a bit of a “break” from home.

we were very surprised at just how green Tennessee was and how pretty the rivers are.

just a thought….

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Just checking in. Good morning on a lovely cool (67F) and rainy morning. We had a couple of thunderstorms last night and the rain has continued into today. According to forecast it will move out in an hour or so, but return again this evening. I'll take it. Just have to time my doggie outings as Monty thinks he will melt.

Today will be a very low key day.... actually, that has been the case for the last week. While I am not getting much done on the downsizing each day.... I do get somethings taken care of, but I have many boxes to sort and several closets yet to go and those are packed with boxes full of who knows what. And of course, lots of books to read .... I still am trying to get some of my many scottie/westie "collectibles" up to scottie rescue in Denver, but having no luck. Too expensive to ship.... and, I cannot drive up over the mountain passes or into Denver traffic. Well, I probably could if I had to... but I don't want to. Too far and I have gotten used to the lack of traffic here.

Sending best wishes to everyone.

Susan

• Like 25

We have had the pleasure to get to Katakolon about seven times now , and besides going to the museum we have done olive oil and wine tasting on some of these visits .
I will check if I have some favourite pictures at hand to share with you from a few of our different cruises , because I think we will again get lots of pictures today 

DSCN4385.thumb.jpg.5f345a06ac4365f1ca780e5fcf7736a5.jpg

DSCN4405.thumb.JPG.a659da8b12875cce41952fd3aa1cd5c7.JPG

DSCN4418.thumb.jpg.8b2fbfb106d3e4f3a2596e1a04621ec7.jpg

DSCN4419.thumb.JPG.1a6319a810fb19e582ed1318fd4da38e.JPG

Very nice how they placed all of these pieces back together to show us what it looked like 

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.162202191876c6aab60ba085e366b489.JPG

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.a23be5cb658d87643684ced643a2c704.JPG

IMG_0338.thumb.JPG.c651b01d492c700c3df1e8008c48abdf.JPG

With our grandsons , first time Europe for them , what an eye opener specially for Spencer who's favourite subject was Greek Mythology

69494628_10157522079069134_3875773303884873728_n.thumb.jpg.69d552ce593c260e850300b2c80ce3dd.jpg

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.0d3dc6edf9ec24aea4cb35653ca90d51.JPG

Premier Cruise Koningsdam 

DSCN8197.thumb.JPG.1f8c8043e158a3e025f0e4195582b92c.JPG

IMG_3640.thumb.JPG.64c41d2ba54bf17e45411bee44de840e.JPG

DSCN8203.thumb.JPG.102aba78d2e60de9bcd795bee34c2645.JPG

DSCN8213.thumb.JPG.9be1db10e3a8882d74842d4fb5fb939a.JPG

DSCN8215.thumb.JPG.507e481531ad243750eb411feed77e61.JPG

DSCN8224.thumb.jpg.fb02637e79c0d92a81e8cf45ee4905d8.jpg

….and another 100 meter dash  …. Ready …..Start …….Go ! 

DSCN8226.thumb.JPG.4e3a67cfd01817271b292fbad417d49f.JPG

They set a new Olympic record  ! 

Great memories of all the times we were there .

This was my very first attempt to copy and paste on my new iMac which was a lot different to do than with the 12 year old one .

Best Wishes to all the Dailyites and have a nice Sunday everybody ! 

Tony 😄
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 9

Aboard Emerald Princess! Drive to pier was easy. Parking was easy. Shuttle was easy. Checkin was easy just long lines but they kept moving. Took maybe 45 mins. Rooms just opened. Time to recover and begin relaxing. Thank you all so very much!  May we all stay well and safe!

Maureen

• Like 29

The chicken would be OK, but the drink makes no sense. Historically, claret, from French clairet, denoted a pale red wine, sometimes achieved by blending in a white wine, but since the time in the Middle Ages when Bordeaux was under the English crown, it has described a red Bordeaux. The term has largely fallen into disuse and even disfavor, but is legally protected in the EU and the UK, and since 2006 in the US. I'll nominate the Fox Run 2022 Cabernet Sauvignon, $25. "Aromas of raspberry and black currant are augmented by sage and herbal notes. Medium-bodied. Bright and lively in the mouth with sweet fruit flavors and very fine-grained tannins."

I coughed very hard for several hours in the middle of the night, but then slept until 11:55 a.m.

coffeeandwine.jpg.f4865be8b593f33ec459d49014b42408.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is currently a chilly 58F with a promise of warming to 75F.  Yesterday's promise didn't happen and it was rather chilly for the family picnic.  That didn't stop the fun and enjoyment, though.  Everyone had a good time holding Baby Addie.  She is a good sport and plays well with others.  

Today friends from Toledo are driving up for a visit.  If the rain dries up we may go over to Dow Gardens for a bit.  If not, we'll enjoy a few games of Farkle.  

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for checking in.  We are a bunch of worry warts, you know. 

@superoma Hope things are all going well for you.  You've been quiet.

Who doesn't like BBQ Chicken?  Nothing says summer better than BBQ chicken on the grill and that is how the first recipe prepares it. You can use any part of the chicken you prefer.  The recipe calls for legs, but we leave those to River to eat.   BBQ Chicken Grill

BBQchicken1.thumb.jpg.0e64ae89fbc0e493dfbe3b37acef3026.jpg

This next one uses chicken breasts and has instructions for grilling or using the oven.  If it is raining, the oven may be a good thing!  BBQ Chicken Breasts

BBQchicken2.thumb.jpg.b27ccd5d5ab431643dedf865599cb751.jpg

In this recipe the Pioneer Woman adds peach preserves and hot sauce to your favorite BBQ sauce and cooks the chicken in the oven.  That would be a great way to extend summer into the winter months.   Oven BBQ Chicken

BBQchicken3.thumb.png.43c990fe51f743f3ab45ff8c3e6421b6.png

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Thank you Debby. Made me hungry.

• Like 13

I have never heard of Ingersoll the person, so I thought of Ingersoll watches.  The company made inexpensive watches from the late 1800s and were the first to come out with a dollar watch.

Ray

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just checking in on a warm summer day.  I guess since it's 94F and feels like 105F, it's more of a hot summer day.  Watched the women's basketball final, and cheered the USA team for their win.  Will watch the closing ceremonies in a little while.  Otherwise, not much going on today.  

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites! It's 8:30 and 73 degrees.  Sunny, need rain, again, and I just heard something fall over....just checked, not Chuck, something cat involved, sure I will trip over it later.  I was so tired last night, I packed up my pillows and slept in the bed, well mostly on, since I get way too hot without 3 fans going,  I woke up at 6 something to find Tazi on my pillow, and one of the babies- Quiff by my feet.  During the night there was lots of hissing, and then DH started lots of howling... So I got up, and am trying to face today. That and the fact that my left foot and ankle just kept cramping.

Sometime in the night,one of the larger critters pulled out the bird seed and pried the top off, and got into the seed, so that's  something else that needs cleaning up. 

Saw on the news this morning that Atlanta is #1 in being the buggiest city in the country.  Yippee! @Nickelpenny if you ever decide to move to the southeast, we have your bugs.🕷️

Hurricane Debby did lots of damage to Cedar Key, and with Ernesto developing Dh and I are trying to come up with a plan B for our group vacation.  We've come up with, do a last minute cruise, drive around Georgia seeing all the things we have said we wanted to do,   visit the Botanical Gardens in Georgia,Alabama, and maybe NC or Tennessee,  go to Jekyll Island, ?  Any other ideas will be most appreciated.

OUr Rome to Home trip did include  Katakalon, we had planned to walk off, have lunch, eat real greek food, find the museum, and spend some money at the store that sells carved  olive wood.  Instead, by then I could barely breathe, looked at the long walk down the pier to town, and instead we stayed on the ship.  I was still holding off going to the medical center, because I didnt want them to leave me in Greece, but maybe I should have.  So no pics. Just the memory of looking longingly at that long pier.

Today we are planning on going to Penny's to swim.  My only concern is getting DH up the big hill to get to the house.  I may text her, and see if she can back her car down the hill, pick him up and take him in the house from the garage.  He says he wont get in the pool, but I so desperately need to do something besides sit, I may just leave him home if he gets wonky by 1:30.

@Tbaybelated-birthday-images-cute-cat.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.2c39b28ecf08b8a281a92861ecd29700.jpeg

Annie, I hope you got a chance to get in Penny's pool, and have a nice, relaxing afternoon,

3 hours ago, tupper10 said:

@marshhawk One place we have wanted to visit but haven't gotten to yet is Great Smoky Mtns. National park. It doesn't look too far from you by car.   There are loads of cabin rentals there on the two web sites that I can't name here.    Just a thought.  

We are so happy to be back home from our long cruise and then the visit with our grandkids traveling down the NE coast.    We did enjoy it but there is nothing like sleeping in your own bed.  

We booked a very short cruise, for November,  on Royal Caribbean with our grandkids to the Bahamas - by the time we unpack it will be over. Then we have a nice cruise to the Caribbean on the Eurodam this winter - and for us, that just means a short drive to the port.  We also planned a Xmas trip to St Petersburg. I want to visit the Dali museum and a week at a gulf beach with less waves sounded wonderful.  Usually our kids visit for Xmas but this year no one is coming.  It is interesting that in Fl after Xmas the rates go way up for the entire gulf coast - we think it is because the snowbirds all come down after the holidays for the 3 months of winter.   

I enjoy reading the daily every day but I don't post much.  I was sad to read about all the issues with so many people here and of course the loss of Sam - so hard to lose a pet.  

Thank you to all who post here.  

Welcome home, after your extended post-cruise trip, Debbie.  Your cruise in November with the grandkids sounds like fun.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Just checking in. Good morning on a lovely cool (67F) and rainy morning. We had a couple of thunderstorms last night and the rain has continued into today. According to forecast it will move out in an hour or so, but return again this evening. I'll take it. Just have to time my doggie outings as Monty thinks he will melt.

Today will be a very low key day.... actually, that has been the case for the last week. While I am not getting much done on the downsizing each day.... I do get somethings taken care of, but I have many boxes to sort and several closets yet to go and those are packed with boxes full of who knows what. And of course, lots of books to read .... I still am trying to get some of my many scottie/westie "collectibles" up to scottie rescue in Denver, but having no luck. Too expensive to ship.... and, I cannot drive up over the mountain passes or into Denver traffic. Well, I probably could if I had to... but I don't want to. Too far and I have gotten used to the lack of traffic here.

Sending best wishes to everyone.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad you are getting more much needed rain.

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Aboard Emerald Princess! Drive to pier was easy. Parking was easy. Shuttle was easy. Checkin was easy just long lines but they kept moving. Took maybe 45 mins. Rooms just opened. Time to recover and begin relaxing. Thank you all so very much!  May we all stay well and safe!

Maureen

Maureen, good to know you are on board and in your cabin.  

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Maureen

Enjoy your well deserved cruise. Bon Voyage!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Woke up to rain this morning-well, maybe drizzle. But just enough to totally soak the car seats because I left the windows open yesterday. I hope the sun comes back to start drying them out. Guess I should have listened to the late news! Hope everyone has an easy, enjoyable week ahead.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Woke up to rain this morning-well, maybe drizzle. But just enough to totally soak the car seats because I left the windows open yesterday. I hope the sun comes back to start drying them out. Guess I should have listened to the late news! Hope everyone has an easy, enjoyable week ahead.

I was surprised to see that the deck was wet -- didn't expect that!  My forecast says no rain until next weekend -- but we all know how those forecasts are!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Kudos to Ingersoll, aligning of teeth and I'm neutral on Hip Hop. I have a couple of teeth that could be straightened, but there's no space since I have all my wisdom teeth. Typical Leno joke. I like BBQ chicken, although I've only made shredded BBQ chicken. I'll pass on the drink and maybe on the wine. I haven't been to Katakolon. The peace treaty was a good day in history, although short lived. Many shopping malls are struggling these days.

It's a nice sunny day here, not too hot (77F) and lower humidity. It was 57F earlier this AM! I've just been doing some things around the house.

@RMLincoln Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Very nice Katakolon/Olympia photos.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photos.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos.

@marshhawk I hope you could nap today. Sorry to hear your vacation spot was damaged by the hurricane. I hope you and DH get to use the pool today.

@grapau27 It looks like a very nice day at the beach.

@tupper10 Welcome home.

@Cruising-along Thanks for sharing your time in Olympia with excellent photos.

@sailingdutchy Great photos.

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for checking in yesterday.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@RMLincoln Bon Voyage!  Have a wonderful time!  And Happy Birthday!

kliban-c1.jpg

Many thanks Annie!  I do appreciate you thinking of all of us during this difficult time for you. 

I finally got this phone to work… still not sure what combination of buttons I’m glad. Delayed departure today, still here in Boston due to bunkering by TRUCKs!  New etd 2100 hrs!  I might be asleep by then. I’m really drained. I would like to go to dinner but not at 8:20. Tomorrow is a sea day, a day of rest!  

May we all be safe and well!

m—

• Like 21

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I recall that you’ve been to the Viking site near St Anthony NL… 

The ship excursions there are sold out. We’re on the two way lists. I’m hoping of course that we’ll get a cancellation   Any memory if there were tours available on the pier?  Thanks, m—

• Like 9

A great big thank you to everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes yesterday.  You made me feel very special.  It was a quiet day, and we will be celebrating 5 family birthdays at a party in a couple of weeks. 

I don't often post on here, but I do read the Daily. 

Thank you to all who help keep the Daily going.  Your hard work is appreciated.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are grieving or suffering ill health.

To the caregivers.....you amaze me with your spirit and dedication. It is such hard work.

Safe travels to all those who are traveling.

@TiogaCruiser We will be boarding the Volendam as you get off.  Looking forward to three weeks aboard, celebrating our 50th anniversary. 

• Like 21

47 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I recall that you’ve been to the Viking site near St Anthony NL… 

The ship excursions there are sold out. We’re on the two way lists. I’m hoping of course that we’ll get a cancellation   Any memory if there were tours available on the pier?  Thanks, m—

No, we don't remember any tours available at the pier.  I'll keep my fingers crossed they come up with some tickets for you two!

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

No, we don't remember any tours available at the pier.  I'll keep my fingers crossed they come up with some tickets for you two!

Many thanks!  🤞m—

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

@RMLincoln We were there as well and did the ship tour to L'anse aux Meadows. They used old school busses.    In town there are a few stores to walk around and some craft places.  As @StLouisCruisers said I don't recall seeing any taxies or private tours offered at the port.  There is one taxi company there- from what I read  they will drive you to see the sites - it is Town Taxi phone # 709-454-3500.  I don't see a web site.  There seems to also be one car rental place as well.  Hope this helps.

Edited by tupper10
correction
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

En route to airport on this very hot, dry day. Miami sounds good about now.🫠

Have an 11:30am boarding time w/diamond status, so hoping it goes smoothly. Regardless, it's an adventure on a new cruise line.

Hoping to sleep soundly tomorrow night in a gently rocking cabin. After enjoying wine on the deck 😎

• Like 19