The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 15th, 2024

richwmn

Today is Chauvin Day, Check The Chip Day, and Green Data Day

There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together. - Josh Billings

Meal Suggestion for today - Avocado Tuna Spinach Salad
Drink of the Day - Cucumber Martini
Wine of the Day - 2021 Portugieser/Lemberger/Cabernet Sauvignon, Melchior, Markus Heid, Württembe
Destination of the Day - Amami (Naze), Amami Oshima, Japan

Today in History:
1620 Mayflower sets sail from Southampton, England, with 102 Pilgrims
1969 The Woodstock Music & Art Fair opens its doors to participants and spectators

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Ketchikan, Alaska 0630-1300

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Skagway, Alaska 0530-2100

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer

Nanortalik, Greenland 0700-1300

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1700

Oosterdam --- 21 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

Rhodes, Greece 0800-ovn-

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Britain, Scotland Ireland

At Sea Destination Zeebrugge (Bruges), Belgium eta 08-16

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland

St Johns, Newfoundland 0800-1700

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska eta 08-16

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings

At Sea Destination Qaqortoq, Greenland eta 08-17

0816Alaska.thumb.png.3ec1ce26b16b294425b6befb22b44f1e.png

0815Atlantic.thumb.png.303b4477fe0c075d556d26418b7ddfcb.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 28

Good morning friends!  It’s early morning here in Frisco, TX and we have a temp currently of 81F.  It will be sunny today and 101 degrees.  I posted last night of our experience arriving here yesterday in case anyone wants to read it.  At least we made it safely and on time which is most important.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn and the other helpers, Vanessa @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for getting the Daily published!  

Prayers for all the Care list group and any others that may need them. 🙏 I'll also include my DB, twin sister whose shoulder surgery is tomorrow, and DD.  Never forget the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages there and our military members overseas.  Congrats to all celebrating and cruising.🎂🥂

Today's port is a new one, Amami (Naze), Amami Oshima, Japan.  I haven't been there before and also have no links to provide of course.  Thanks in advance to any and all who post photos and tell us of their experience there.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day today.  Stay safe, well and hopefully cool.

• Like 29

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Summer has returned here since Debby has left. I definitely miss those 80 degree days! 🙂 

Work is going well and keeping me busy.

I hope everyone has a great day!  

20231102_043539.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It’s early morning here in Frisco, TX and we have a temp currently of 81F.  It will be sunny today and 101 degrees.  I posted last night of our experience arriving here yesterday in case anyone wants to read it.  At least we made it safely and on time which is most important.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn and the other helpers, Vanessa @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for getting the Daily published!  

Prayers for all the Care list group and any others that may need them. 🙏 I'll also include my DB, twin sister whose shoulder surgery is tomorrow, and DD.  Never forget the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages there and our military members overseas.  Congrats to all celebrating and cruising.🎂🥂

Today's port is a new one, Amami (Naze), Amami Oshima, Japan.  I haven't been there before and also have no links to provide of course.  Thanks in advance to any and all who post photos and tell us of their experience there.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day today.  Stay safe, well and hopefully cool.

Best wishes to your twin sister for her shoulder surgery tomorrow Sandi.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich and thanks to our F & B team.

Love the quote.  So true.  Another fun day in the world of showing houses.  Ivan has got it figured out.  When we come in he watches to see if I put the cover back on the couch.  If it goes on, he knows it’s over with LOL.

IMG_3120.thumb.jpeg.28c320deb4a74cfbe593c2f1e9699ff2.jpeg

We are set up under the pergola with a cooler, one toy, dish of water (of course), treats  for Ivan & cold water and drinks for  me (except this morning it will be coffee).  

IMG_3125.thumb.jpeg.b0503776cefdad40cf3753a8c23dd06c.jpeg

It was on of DD DH’s favourite spots to sit and the clematis have climbed to the top of it, covering much of it providing shade.  I got a bit reminiscent yesterday as I looked through it and saw the clematis in my view underneath.  It’s hard to get good pics but they are in this post.

IMG_3124.thumb.jpeg.827ecd0237fe585f39096cb8ba759438.jpeg

Got to get moving - early morning showing and then a break until the afternoon.  prayers for those on the Care lit & all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_3123.thumb.jpeg.f91e01cc477e1cc9e8b7794ed4484a4a.jpeg

• Like 43
  • Thanks 6

Thank you to everyone who helps get these Dailys out!!  They're always fun, informative and appreciated!!

I'm not sure I want to be a Chauvin-ist -- so I may not celebrate him...  😉

Check the Chip day honors those who micro-chip their pets!!  YES, let's honor this!!!

Green Data Day should be on St. Patrick's Day -- but I know -- this is probably about environment and ecology.  So I'll let it be!

Avocado Tuna Spinach Salad I think is a great honor for Green Data Day!!

As is Cucumber Martini!!

The wine and the destination of the day are great, too!

Mr. Billings -- I'll agree, Short and Sweet and to the point!!  That's where the power can be!!  As long as we all speak the same language...

• Like 34

Dearest Daily-ites,

A number of you have wondered about me and my doctors have, too. Since mid-May I have been doctoring to determine the cause of very unexpected gynecolical symptoms.

All the usual and even the gold-standard tests came back negative. So, my doctors continued the search with additional tests in the works. Then, two weeks ago, my routine annual mammogram wasn't as it found a reactive lymph node leading to more testing, biopsies, and a very unwelcome diagnosis two days ago.

I have cancer. Lymphoma. It is likely the cause -- albeit a rare cause -- of my gynecological issues and the reactive lymph node that led to my diagnosis is likely a metastasis. I have appointments next week for a full body PET scan to determine how far the cancer has spread and an immediate follow-up with a well-respected oncologist specializing in lymphoma.

So, I am now starting a new journey but, unfortunately, not on a blue hulled beauty. I don't know if I will ever be able to return to the sea, but I have years of cruising memories to visualize as this new, unwanted trip begins.

Thank you for wondering about me. Please understand if I don't respond to what I know will be your many good wishes. It's not that your care and prayer doesn't matter. I treasure it. But, I need to spend this time planning for my ever-declining DHs care amidst my cancer journey.

With a grateful heart,

-Melisa

• Like 15
  • Thanks 45

Cucumber Martini Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts EFFEN® Cucumber Vodka
1 1/2 parts dry vermouth
Cucumber Wheel

Instructions
Shake over ice, strain and serve in martini glass. Garnish with a cucumber wheel.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 7.09.48 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 20

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Heartgrove’s DSIL with fall and tri-malleolar ankle fracture

Vict0riann’s DH Pat having an angiogram today

Lazey1’s DH with multiple medical issues

Hal Sailer with Lymphoma

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

StLouisCruisers’ twin with upcoming shoulder replacement

Smitty3487’s untiring caregiving

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu’s house is on the market, with lots of interest

Kochleffel feeling better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for 0106 (Rotterdam Aug 17 to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway

5 days for TiogaCruiser (Volendam Aug 20 to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery

7 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 22 to Aug 31) 9d Cabada/New England

Haljo1935 (MSC Magnifica to Aug 16) 4d Bahamas ski ww (Rotterdam to Aug 17) 14 Night Britain, Scotland & Ireland, Luvteaching (Discovery Princess to Aug 17) 7d Alaska Inside passage w/Glacier Bay National Park, Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings,  RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 22

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  I'll celebrate relaxation day, thanks @GTVCRUISER.  I promise not to write you many run on sentences in my posts.   I'll celebrate Woodstock and all that great music that came from that era.      I haven't been to today's port.   I'll pass on the avocados and cucumbers and the wine seems to be a Portuguese wine from Austria.  @cat shepard will have to get her decoder ring out.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann and Bonnie.  Prayers for everyone else who needs them, either ailing or grieving.  Thanks for the photos Jacqui and the update on your home sale process.  So cool Ivan has picked up on the drill so fast.  Prayers for all in war zones. 

Our day 2 in town was a mess.  John missed the start time of our dinner 2 hours away.  He thought 4 o clock was the time.  Dinner was at seven.  He called and confirmed time when we were 45 minutes on the road.  Since we had time to kill we went to a movie, only one that fit our schedule was a Minions movie.   I cannot recall the last time I saw an animated movie in a theater, maybe Fantasia re release in the 60s.  Then the dinner was a disappointment.  Few people signed up so the food was not to their usual standards.  Oh well.  It was in the high 80s yesterday so not bad going on a wild goose chase after all.   Have a great day!  Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D     Not really sure I understand any of today’s days.  .    Special prayers for Melissa, Bonnie,  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I like the Billings quote..

I’ve not been to Amami..

Two very nice days in history.,

I’ll pass on the meal.  .My alternative is Sunset Salad, Orange and Grapefruit Medley and Spaghetti Amatriciana with Grilled Chicken Breast which might have been my choices on MS Prinsendam August 4, 2011 had I not had lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.

Getting a bit hotter but a max of 90 without added humidity.  Morning mostly at home followed by PT, Fire House, UPS store, and grocery store..

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this AM with a high of 93.

Interesting days as is the quote.

I’ll pass on the meal.

My knees are still sore from all the walking we did on the MSC Seashore last week.

Have a great day and stay well and safe.

• Like 27

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool morning, but this afternoon will be hot.  I'm going to visit my mum and take her shopping and to lunch.

Interesting days to celebrate.  Bertie has been chipped, I try to be green but I'll pass on honouring Chavin.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, not sure about the wine.

Prayers for so many.

Have a good day.  Stay cool.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Rich! It’s a muggy morning, without even a hint of a breeze.

IMG_3294.jpeg.d0b5f20b5ef6e0244a1d1b38fc8b9eb4.jpeg

Lots of deer out this morning, including our last fawn of the season. It still has its spots!

Vanessa, I am so sorry to read that the dizziness has migrated. Hopefully a “one and done”. When I list the folk I want uneventful medical lives for - you are there. Thanking for keeping up with us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, a visit to my pharmacy to start my vaccines needed for Egypt and maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3295.jpeg.b5be6f97945ad14dd43e1791f6e4cd27.jpeg

IMG_3290.jpeg.fa5d495c122127e02534922e3913433f.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg.4a4bb30b653454231b9dab4f525edbd4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Melisa, stunned by your news. I pray that whatever treatment is prescribed is successful. Tana, Terry, Chuck, Annie, Jacqui, Jane’s son Tony, Bonnie, Pat, Ann, and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2021 Portugieser/Lemberger/Cabernet Sauvignon, Melchior, Markus Heid, Württembe

What a name! This light & fruity German red blend sounds like a fun one to try. I usually prefer medium bodied - bolder wines, but it is priced to try. I found a few online distributors, but none that shipped to me. Online prices start at $9.83.

Distributor notes

Weingut Heid are a certified organic, 12 hectare farm in Fellbach, Wurttemberg, which is widely considered as Germany’s leading region for red wine.  The Melchior is an enticing blend of Lemberger, Cabernet Sauvignon and Portugieser that is delicate with crunchy red fruits, hints of parma violets and an elegant, dry finish.  Delightfully different and a great wine to drop into a blind tasting.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is raining here at the moment.

3 interesting days.

I will pass on the food and drink.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240815_113644.jpg

IMG_20240815_111323.jpg

Ok, I give up. What is it? A new and improved diet wafer? 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

DSIL was moved to a rehab center yesterday. She is in better spirits and sees the Orthopedic surgeon  tomorrow. After that we should know the date for her surgery.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

28 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Cucumber Martini Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts EFFEN® Cucumber Vodka
1 1/2 parts dry vermouth
Cucumber Wheel

Instructions
Shake over ice, strain and serve in martini glass. Garnish with a cucumber wheel.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 7.09.48 AM.png

Too many of these drinks and I become pickled!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11