Paper straws on Celebrity?

I haven’t sailed Celebrity in probably eight years and am wondering if Celebrity has jumped on the “environmental bandwagon” and transitioned to paper straws on ship? I detest those straws, so if they’re using paper straws I’ll just bring my own glass straws. The glass straws make for a much better “beverage experience”. 

• Haha 2

You can buy a pack of 100 plastic straws at the grocery store for around $1 of so.  Bring your own with you on the cruise.  I wouldn't mess with any straws that I had to clean.  Use once and throw away.  

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, bigbadandugly said:

I haven’t sailed Celebrity in probably eight years and am wondering if Celebrity has jumped on the “environmental bandwagon” and transitioned to paper straws on ship? I detest those straws, so if they’re using paper straws I’ll just bring my own glass straws. The glass straws make for a much better “beverage experience”. 

I can't speak to Celebrity as I haven't read anything about it.  5yrs ago Royal Caribbean used paper straws. There were threads of complaints and suggestions that you bring reusable straws. Just what I want to do on vacation, wash straws. It took me 3 straws to get through one frozen coffee and I would ask for 3 when I ordered.  So much for saving the bottom line. I guess I'll find out next month if Celebrity made the switch which I think they would have since it's the flavor of the day.

Edited by Iamcruzin

i actually forgot what they have now..

We bring our own plastic disposable straws   and a few food containers in case we have to forage at the buffet.

1 hour ago, bigbadandugly said:

Since your beverage experience is so much better with glass straws, why not just bring your own glass straws. That way it doesn't matter if the straws are plastic or paper. 

• Like 1

I went back to a drink picture because I couldn’t recall bad straws from our cruise on Edge two weeks ago.  I started these drinks at Eden (two bartenders were one upping each other, I didn’t order multiples) and sipped them over several hours and have a picture in my room with the straws still in so I do not believe they are paper or they would’ve been gone.  

IMG_7576.jpeg

• Like 1

We were just on the Apex last month and the straws in my drinks were some sort of environmentally ok ones (I think coconut?) that were much more like a plastic than paper.  We didn't get any paper straws on the cruise.  I agree they really don't work well.  I'm glad they're trying to move away from plastic though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snohorules said:

Looks like they are made out of sea shells. Cool!

https://www.strawfish.co/about-us

Yes, they are some of the good ones yet many "biodegradable plastics" are greenwashing made by oil companies, and while they degrade, they are very dirty to create and can leave behind chemicals.  Yet, "green" aside, there is the overlooked major benefit of even "dirty" biodegradable plastics which is every piece that breaks down is no longer a physical threat to animals and marine life

Now if only we could do something with all those plastic cruise ducks...

image.thumb.png.0f10167e527bc5f2cfbdc41463c0463a.png

• Like 1

They are paper but they hold up well. I dont care for the taste of them so I bring my own. Used to bring a stainless steel straw but forgot to remove it from my drink one too many times. Now I bring a supply of plastic straws. On our last cruise someone offered to buy a few from me bc they were desperate. I gave them a few… no charge. 

I'm picky about my straws as well.  The Strawfish ones that were used on Ascent and Reflection on our last two cruises were great - couldn't tell the difference between them and plastic straws.

6 hours ago, bikerunner said:

I dont think I have used a straw in over 20 years.   really do not find a use for them.  

Have you ever watched someone “wash” a glass?  I have.  I use a straw.

59 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Have you ever watched someone “wash” a glass?  I have.  I use a straw.

Most bars have glass washers, they don't wash them by hand. Wash and rinse cycles are normally 60-65 celsius which sanitises everything. 

Straws aren't a necessity and I cannot stand plastic straws. The idea of using a piece of plastic for a few minutes that then ends up in landfill (where it will stay for hundreds of years) or drifting around in the ocean drives me mad.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Most bars have glass washers, they don't wash them by hand. Wash and rinse cycles are normally 60-65 celsius which sanitises everything. 

Straws aren't a necessity and I cannot stand plastic straws. The idea of using a piece of plastic for a few minutes that then ends up in landfill (where it will stay for hundreds of years) or drifting around in the ocean drives me mad.

So glasses in your room are taken out and cleaned the same way?

Removing plastic straws is a good thing.  What can we do to reduce the environmental impact of cruising?  The best way is by not cruising.

Edited by zitsky

Okay strange question regarding the straws.   Does anyone know if they are gluten free?   I ask because most paper straws use a glue/paste that isn’t.  I am used to bringing my own plastic straws so I guess I will be packing them for next cruise.

I see cruising as visiting the home of sea creatures.  Just like visiting friends I wouldn’t bring anything potentially toxic to their house so I will gladly give up plastic straws on my cruise.  Glass straws do make drinks better.  Plastic straws are harmful to our friends who live in the ocean.  Happy cruising