Plastic zip ties to prevent reclining?

Multiple people on other social media sites have reported that Celebrity is now putting plastic zip ties on chairs to prevent them from reclining.  You can't be serious!  Has anyone else experienced this?  The ship in question happened to be Reflection.  First they take away loungers (sometimes it seems) and now you can't recline the chairs?!?  How is one supposed to comfortably enjoy the balcony we paid so many $$$ for?  Sitting upright all day like you're in a school classroom?  One of the reasons I am willing to pay more to book suites and/or cabins on the hump is for the larger balconies which I use a lot.

This may seem like a trivial thing to many who don't use their balconies much, but for those of us who do this is a game changer.  I have many cruises booked with Celebrity in the next year and a half and now I'm wondering if some of them need to be cancelled as we spend tons of time relaxing on our balconies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 39august said:

Surely this isn't true! But we always have heavy nail clippers with us. That should work!

Yup..... that zip tie wouldn't last long for a chair on my balcony.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

does anyone know why??

Probably for the same reason as they were removing some of them.  Not enough space available to assure that a quick recline wouldn't come into contact with the glass sliding door, possibly taking it out. 

Given the spacing on some of the crazy small balconies where recliners have been placed in the past, that was my original assumption on the 'removal' issue/thread when 'safety' was mentioned by Celebrity.  Someone even posted a photo of a piece of upright reclining furniture placed directly in front of the stationary glass partition of a slider, and while the poster didn't recognize it, the photo made the possibility for issues pretty graphic.

• Like 5

Insane.  We have oversized verandahs on our next couple cruises.  
So one would not expect to find zip ties.  

But I will be sure to pack the hoof clippers just in case.😂

Before the next cruise I’ll test them out at home on a heavy-duty zip tie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Probably for the same reason as they were removing some of them.  Not enough space available to assure that a quick recline wouldn't come into contact with the glass sliding door, possibly taking it out. 

Given the spacing on some of the crazy small balconies where recliners have been placed in the past, that was my original assumption on the 'removal' issue/thread when 'safety' was mentioned by Celebrity.  Someone even posted a photo of a piece of upright reclining furniture placed directly in front of the stationary glass partition of a slider, and while the poster didn't recognize it, the photo made the possibility for issues pretty graphic.

They haven't deviated from safety as the reason for the change. If people want to cut the zip ties, I guess they should be prepared to exit at the next port of call and not be allowed on another RCG cruise...

Not saying it will happen, but that is the ultimate remedy for a safety violation. It doesn't matter whether you believe it's a safety issue or not!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, markeb said:

They haven't deviated from safety as the reason for the change. If people want to cut the zip ties, I guess they should be prepared to exit at the next port of call and not be allowed on another RCG cruise...

Not saying it will happen, but that is the ultimate remedy for a safety violation. It doesn't matter whether you believe it's a safety issue or not!

I disagree. If I boarded a cruise ship and found my reclining lounger zip tied, I would assume it was the idiot who had the same cabin on the last sailing, not some safety protocol.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We had no zip ties on our lounger on our Reflection cruise a few weeks ago. But last night a huge storm blew through our area and our pool loungers outside were blown all to heck. Perhaps if there are zip ties on the loungers (and I call BS on this) then maybe it’s to keep them from blowing all about. In fact, that’s not a bad idea..hm🤔

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I disagree. If I boarded a cruise ship and found my reclining lounger zip tied, I would assume it was the idiot who had the same cabin on the last sailing, not some safety protocol.

Yes, but you’ve been on Cruise Critic throughout this discussion and the ONLY story from Celebrity has been safety. So you’ve heard the safety story for months. Maybe not everyone, but you and me and many others.

And why would the idiot in the cabin before you be traveling with zip ties?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, markeb said:

people want to cut the zip ties, I guess they should be prepared to exit at the next port of call and not be allowed on another RCG cruise...

I’d be like, zip ties?  What zip ties? 💁‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, markeb said:

And why would the idiot in the cabin before you be traveling with zip ties?

It could be this idiot.  I always have a few zip ties in the bag with my electronics.  One never knows when you may need one or two. 

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

So if this IS a safety issue,  then why would Celebrity use such a temporary fix?  Zip ties break easily...  If this was for real I would think that they would weld or permanently connect the chair together.

Edited by NMTraveller

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

then why would Celebrity use such a temporary fix?  Zip ties break easily... 

Exactly.  They become brittle in the Caribbean sun and crumble to bits. 

Microplastics aren’t exactly great for our seas and their inhabitants.

• Like 2

What next? Oh, you want a reclining chair on your balcony? Pre-reserve for 25% off, othewise pay full per diem prices!  Seriously, Celebrity is just learning that the balcony chairs don't fit? 

DH always packs nail clippers and yes, we do have a few zip ties in our luggage - just a level of security for luggage transfer when I attach a tie to the zippers. 

Darcy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RichYak said:

This was my first thought too. 

Im so sick of the 'safety ' excuse being trotted out when there are other issues at play but now we can not argue against 'safety'. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pushka said:

This was my first thought too. 

Im so sick of the 'safety ' excuse being trotted out when there are other issues at play but now we can not argue against 'safety'. 

The other excuse is it is from the home office.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On the Beyond now and there are 2 loungers on our MC SS.  Chairs don’t recline so no zip ties needed.  

We’re happy to be seeing many crew from past cruises.  Best was running into our cabin attendant from 18 months ago who has had 2 promotions.  He is now a Officer, great to see hard work rewarded.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We had no zip ties on our lounger on our Reflection cruise a few weeks ago. But last night a huge storm blew through our area and our pool loungers outside were blown all to heck. Perhaps if there are zip ties on the loungers (and I call BS on this) then maybe it’s to keep them from blowing all about. In fact, that’s not a bad idea..hm🤔

many times the  crew uses bungee type cords to tie loungers down together..in bad, windy weather.  upper sun decks also closed off..

Since LLP,  X does not match  chairs very well with cabins,  balcs or public areas..Chairs ill fitted to desk, rocking chair fiasco etc.. Needs a

re-think

• Like 2