How does everyone feel about specialty restaurants for lunch?

We are going to be sailing on Grandeur of the Seas here soon and the prices for lunch at the specialty restaurants are a great price right now! We have the options of Giovanni's Table, Izumi or Chops Grille. Leaning more towards Giovanni's, currently $19 a person. How does everyone feel about doing lunch at a specialty restaurant in the middle of a sea day? We haven't done a lunch before; we have only ever done specialty restaurants for dinner, and we absolutely love doing that. Thank you!! 🤗

We almost always book a specialty restaurant on boarding day to avoid the crowds at the buffet. Great meal and calming atmosphere. Or, go for it with the Ultimate Dining Package, and embarkation day lunch, as well as lunches on sea days, are included!! If on a bigger ship, there are a lot more restaurant options vs the smaller ships!

• Like 4

IMO specialty dining lunches are one of the few bargains left on Royal Caribbean, especially when booked pre-cruise, for a discount. I hope JL does not read this blog !

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

IMO specialty dining lunches are one of the few bargains left on Royal Caribbean, especially when booked pre-cruise, for a discount. I hope JL does not read this blog !

Definitely agree with this. The menus are usually limited, so you don't get every option you would at dinner, but it is a nice way to have a change for lunch from the buffet.

• Like 2

We love specialty lunches! Sometimes there is something better than what's at dinner, and you can't beat the price.

My choice would be Giovanni's, I love the branzino.

• Like 4

I must disagree with the posts here. I prefer to eat in the Main Dining Room and the Windjamner, as I think the food in those areas is delicious and more than adequate for my needs. Why should I pay for a specialty restaurant when I’ve already paid for my meals in the MDR and the Windjammer? 

I don’t condemn those who choose to eat in the specialty restaurants, but it’s not something I choose to do. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, RCTransatlanticLover said:

I must disagree with the posts here. I prefer to eat in the Main Dining Room and the Windjamner, as I think the food in those areas is delicious and more than adequate for my needs. Why should I pay for a specialty restaurant when I’ve already paid for my meals in the MDR and the Windjammer? 

I don’t condemn those who choose to eat in the specialty restaurants, but it’s not something I choose to do. 

Oh we love eating in the main dining room and windjammer as well! It's just nice to have those other options, yes they cost extra, but it's a nice change of food and atmosphere! 🙂 

• Like 5

We think lunch at the specialty restaurants is a great deal, especially if you can book them during a sale.   We've booked Izumi for lunch at less than 1/2 the price of dinner with virtually the same menu.   Also booked Giovanni's lunch for under 15.00 pp.    

We normally eat in the MDR (dinner) or Windjammer (lunch) but it's a nice change once in a while.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, livetravelcruise07 said:

Oh we love eating in the main dining room and windjammer as well! It's just nice to have those other options, yes they cost extra, but it's a nice change of food and atmosphere! 🙂 

I see your point. I think the MDR usually has a great selection of choices and I like what they offer. Now I will say that I tried the 9 oz filet from Chops in the MDR once and it was good, but I thought it was too small and not worth the nearly $24 price with gratuity. I won’t get it again. See the attached picture. 

Another advantage of eating in the MDR is that you get to know your servers and they get to know you. That’s another thing I enjoy about cruising. 

IMG_1584.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm tempted, the sale price is great.  But on my last cruise the WJ was amazing for the sea days lunch.  They really laid on a great spread.  Great seafood display one day and a great charcuterie display with amazing cheeses the next. 

Also had over a dozen different cakes to choose from.

20240722_122749.thumb.jpg.a3ee7f335e3945330978b0ae32b49b53.jpg

• Like 1

Using BOGOs....we enjoy them on sea days as a less crowded, more relaxed, and quieter experience.   

We also enjoy having lunch out on port days.   Yes...having to PAY for the food at those venues also.  😄 

• Like 3

I always book lunch at a specialty restaurant for embarkation day.  I just don’t enjoy the large crowd, lack of seating and luggage everywhere experience in the Windjammer. I prefer to start my vacay with a more relaxed meal.  It’s one of the things I don’t like about Royal — no MDR lunch service that day.  When we are on NCL or Princess, we opt for the MDR.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

I always book lunch at a specialty restaurant for embarkation day.  I just don’t enjoy the large crowd, lack of seating and luggage everywhere experience in the Windjammer. I prefer to start my vacay with a more relaxed meal.  It’s one of the things I don’t like about Royal — no MDR lunch service that day.  When we are on NCL or Princess, we opt for the MDR.  

Same here! Always enjoy the specialty restaurant on embarkation day for peace and relaxation! However, there is lunch in the MDR on embarkation day for The Key cruisers, as well as the B2B'ers, which we also enjoy!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Same here! Always enjoy the specialty restaurant on embarkation day for peace and relaxation! However, there is lunch in the MDR on embarkation day for The Key cruisers, as well as the B2B'ers, which we also enjoy!

I never add the Key, and we’ve only done one B2B — and very much enjoyed the MDR lunch on that occasion.  We were hoping to do a B2B for our upcoming Radiance cruise (I believe you are also on it?  Sept 27) since our good friends are, but by the time we looked into it, the fare was way too high for us this year.  It’s been a home re-novation year for us which definitely puts a dent in the cruise budget, lol

• Like 1