The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 5th, 2024

Today is International Day of Charity, Be Late For Something Day, and National Cheese Pizza Day

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.--Bob Marley

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Steaks with Kale Pesto
Drink of the Day - Gummy Bear
Wine of the Day - Matua Marlborough Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - General San Martin (Pisco), Peru

Today in History:
1958 1st color video recording on magnetic tape presented, Charlotte, North Carolina

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Ketchikan, Alaska   0630-1300  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Juneau, Alaska   0800-1700  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun
Edinburgh, Scotland   0800-1700  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Skagway, Alaska   0700-2100  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens
At Sea Destination Rhodes, Greece   eta 09-06  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Reykjavik
Akureyri, Iceland   1000-1900  

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
St Anthony, Newfoundland   1000-1900  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Sitka, Alaska   0800-1700  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska   eta 09-06  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston
Saint John, New Brunswick   1000-1800

image.thumb.png.a293bce3ec982975711557e0d5b44619.png

image.thumb.png.c5148a1307d40bc247a8564d31875322.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 24
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends!  Right now it is 66F and later will be 81F with mostly cloudy skies .  The weather this week has been much cooler than last week, but rain is on the way, probably late tonight. 

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily info.  I agree all should recognize the act of charity, I like my pizza with toppings along with my cheese, and always try to not be late so I won’t be celebrating that particular special day.  The quote is pleasing.  I’ll take my steak with no pesto/toppings/sauces, etc.  It should be an interesting report on the cocktail called Gummy Bear.  No thanks to the Pinot Noir.  Today was an important day for the future of color recordings.  Thanks go to Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and drink reporting.

Prayers today for the loss of 4 people in Winder, Georgia yesterday and the wounding and injuries to so many more. 🙏 I worry about my DD as a teacher when I hear stories like yesterday’s.  May the lost souls rest in peace and the injured people recover fully.  Prayers too for DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the families of the slain hostages, and our military members in danger.  Last but not least, our group here on the Daily including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Terri and Jim, , Ann's cleaning lady Leanne, Edi's DSIL Sandy, and Bruno awaiting his ultrasound later this week. 🙏  A salute to those of us celebrating special occasions, cruising and preparing to cruise. 🚢🎂 Thanks so much Vanessa @JazzyV for continuing the hard work of compiling lists for us. 😊

The port for today is General San Martin (Pisco), Peru.  This was the port of the day before on Sept. 25, 2021 and Feb. 1, 2023.  I was at this very unique port only once, and will show the pictures soon.  Here are the links for your convenience in grabbing your photos.

Hoping for a calm and peaceful day for us all.  Stay safe and keep well.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report.  Don’t know why I’m up so early but it is what it is.  I can’t believe that it’s Thursday already.

We have three fine days to recognize especially international day of charity.  

I like today’s quote from Bob Marley, what an interesting man.

Think I’ll pass on both the meal and drink suggestions.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on the prayer list and for those in need of them.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

I remember General San Martin, Peru on our 2015 South America Cruise on Ruby Princess.  I've never seen a more dismal docking spot!  We didn't make plans to go to Pisco since DH was suffering from a total body rash due to his allergy to the more exotic mushrooms.  So instead I paid a small fee for a ship shuttle bus to the village of Paracas.  Some new friends I met on the ship went with me.  

Here's the port of General San Martin, left to right.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjC0DXbkIDIuBu4dk0Zqtt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216761

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINqT8LHqNxWMqeCvpar5dn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216763

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIo75_7qhuND0sGqK1PsNZ2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216764

So unless you plan on staying on the ship all day, you have to plan something away from the port because you can't get off and walk around the town like we love to do.  The bus ride takes maybe 20-25 minutes to reach Paracas.  This is the scenery along the way.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLor8xOoC7LsPbZt9Z-02ak?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216778

Here is the "Memorial to Simon Bolivar" seen on the route.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

There's a nice visitor center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPcAqAxlHrADwP8vkoX5rx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216800

Once outside you see a lot of fishing boats.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJG_PlSueIRgP_CWFkaVovQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216800

There are plenty of places to eat and drink.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIspldBOl2evizkUw98agp0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216808

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLyFfOvky-tVtet0HBh62e3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216815

Lots of shopping too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSKYUsuNLa9f2G_bW3a7Hp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216820

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeZussoRnHbEJS6apCkOwi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216818

A friendly pelican  In the background you can see the Ruby Princess on the opposite side of the "bay".00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-BugoOiM9EgW_y8Y_VnZO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216825

Interesting art displays00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRtsHqvgn2ZfTV5fd1lqfY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216822

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLseKoxqvzKYO99AhC9PjpF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216832

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlXRclKc7rY9GwNaZ0Y6sE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216839

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIloZgaQantRrAF_1QLla67?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216835

Not just the ship passengers here, the locals enjoyed their free time here too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKN_w8C7JBbV-KyUs2e4Mgn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216847

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLE__ZEg9dPlh9RZogJZkGQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216847

Driving back to the ship, along the road is the entrance to the Paracas National Reserve,   which protects the desert and marine ecosystems here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsRYjPeYsTC5ZjyR5ZgoVk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216866

This was my day in General San Martin. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

Muggy (95% humidity) cool (69 degrees) morning here with a wonderful cool high of 83 forecasted. 🙂 

Nice Bob Marley music quote today.

My favorite was by Brian Wilson "Music is in my soul". 🙂 

I hope everyone has a great day! 

20231107_061441.jpg

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another summery day in the forecast for us today.  It's supposed to be a sunny 26°C (79°F) this afternoon.  We'll enjoy it while we can.  I need to pick up some groceries today, get dog food and wine. 

Charity is always important.  I won't be late and don't appreciate other people being late.  I'll pass on cheese pizza.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink, I'll try the wine.

Prayers for so many.

Have a great day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Dailys and Reports!

I'm not often late for anything!  But, If I'm not at least 15 minutes early, I consider myself late...  So I'll be on time to celebrate this day!  Yes for Charities!  When we can be generous with our funds...  it's great to find a charity that reflects your spirit and support it!  Cheese Pizza is my River's favorite...  Maybe we'll do that for dinner!!

Kale Pesto?  Hmmm...  STEAK, yessirreeBob!!!

Maybe the drink, since drinks aren't chewed.  I've never liked the feel of gummy-anythings...

Pinot Noir, that will be fine!

I've never been to Peru...  Have you???

Prayers and wishes and warm thoughts for each of us!!

OH YES...  I'm donating blood today...  I am giving to a charity!!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Eva, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days.   Special prayers for Jacaui Ann, Pat, Terri, Jim,  Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I like the Marley quote...

I visited Pisco 3 consecutive years, 2016 and 2018 on Crystal Symphony, and 2017 on MS Zaandam.

A great day in video history.

Probably on the steak..  My alternative is on hiatus until late September.

A nice day with a chilly start.  Mall walk this morning and UPS Fire House, and grocery this afternoon..

Roy

• Like 29

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, ill, back in the hospital

Seasick Sailor’s DS Bonnie seeing the surgeon today

Families of those killed and injured in GA school shooting

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Heartgrove’s DSIL recovering from ankle fracture surgery

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

StLouisCruisers’ twin getting good report at surgery post-op check

Denise T submitting her dissertation to her committee for review

NextOne doing well post hip surgery, cleared to drive

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Luvteaching (Eurodam Sept 7 to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi.  Lots of T-storms overnight, but not too much rain.

I got an “all clear” at my dermatologist’s yesterday, though she did “freeze” a spot that was either the site of my yellow fever vaccine, or it was pre-cancerous. We both agreed - better safe than sorry. It has been four years since my melanoma was removed, and I do not want a repeat. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. So happy that things are improved for you!

Gym, Bindi walks, haircut, a chat with the head of sales at the retirement community I have chosen to see which model(s) I would qualify for, a call to Bindi’s vet, chores and if weather permits - pool time. 

IMG_3351.jpeg.aeda746415150cc92538920d482a4727.jpeg

IMG_2114.jpeg.a1c2f6b9673b33f84ca773cf88575094.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg.780e159ef8d02ddeb8a45350e2c8e88b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying you have a feisty day. Terry, praying that yours is uneventful. Praying for Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Nancy’s DB, Tony, Annie & Chuck, Jacqui, Ann & Pat, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Matua Marlborough Pinot Noir

One of my local wine bar’s monthly themed wine tastings focused on Pinot Noir wines from around the world. My notes said the one from New Zealand was a bit too light for me, but it was not Matua. So perhaps a bit of time in oak would make this more to my liking. In the interest of science, I would try it. 😎 Easy to find, and certainly priced to try. Online prices start at $11.98.

Winemakers notes

Here at Matua, we think that New Zealand Pinot Noir has potential to be the next big thing. Marlborough creates incredibly bright and smooth Pinot with red fruit flavors. For our Marlborough Pinot Noir, we pick parcels from various sites to maximize regional fruit expression and mature it in oak just enough to compliment the incredible fruitiness.

Flavour notes

With a sweet raspberry aroma and vibrant cherry color, the Matua Pinot Noir is as alluring as it is flavorful. Your palate will be met with notes of red fruit and soft, supple tannins, seasoned with a dash of oak providing a light, toasty taste. On the end is a delightful fresh finish that you won’t soon forget.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

Grilled steaks with kale pesto

Everyone has a way they grill steak and a favourite cut they use. I won’t presume to post a recipe for grilling steak but here is a kale pesto recipe to go with your best steak. Kale is more peppery than basil and is a good companion to steak.

Easy Kale Pesto Recipe - Love and Lemons

image.thumb.png.65ac6d9fb6a4e339087eedb10ba527b7.png

Super Kale Pesto Recipe - Cookie and Kate

This recipe uses hemp seed and flaxseed oil

image.thumb.png.184ac291221fd9166762b1dfb3c41801.png

Edited by superoma
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 15

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich and Sandi.   I'll celebrate cheese pizza, especially those great slices in NYC. I tried to be late today by sleeping in but I woke at my usual time.  A nice quote from Bob Marley.  We have been to today's port.  I'll pass on the pesto, I like my steak plain. A gummy bear cocktail is probably too sweet. A tasty Pinot Noir today. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa. I hope your dizziness continues to wane.  My DB is still in the hospital on IV antibiotics.  He will probably have another long rehab stay because of the need for IV antibiotics.  Prayers for everyone else on our care list, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Jim and Terri, Sandi's DB, Melissa, Ann, Bonnie, Leanne, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.   

A long morning of rain today.  Our boat was pulled out and shrink wrapped on our driveway.  I got a lot of cut back done and decided to call it quits at 1:30.  Perfect timing, our lake neighbors from Joliet showed up for a brief visit.  He missed the entire summer up here do to a severe eye infection.  A lazy day here because I cleaned the house yesterday while doing two loads of laundry.  Big night tonight, the NFL Season kicks off with Ravens Chiefs game.  @rafinmd and @0106 let's cheer on a Ravens win!  Nancy 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thursday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another cool morning. As I have my breakfast this morning, I am watching the Saguenay port cam with the Emerald Princess coming in. I must be a cruise nerd. 34 days until my cruise. I put in for my mail to be held. Finishing up my shopping this weekend. First will be my nephews wedding on September 21 and then the cruise. Other than that, grading assignments and I have my live class this evening. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Throwback Thursday Cat Meme

• Like 29

I don't approve of Be Late for Something Day. Why be late intentionally?

I had cheese pizza on Monday, so no more for a while. Grilled steak would be welcome but kale is almost the only green that I dislike the flavor of. I agree with Lambie about gummy things. A Pinot Noir might go with the steak, so let's have one from Heart & Hands Wine Company on the east shore of Cayuga Lake: 2021 Pinot Noir, $27.99. "Cherries, chalk and earth on the nose. Tart cherries continue on the palate along with hints of cranberry, followed by a long, satisfying finish with medium tannins. Drinking beautifully already!" This winery bottles several single-vineyard Pinot Noirs at about double this price.

Not only have I not visited today's port, but I also doubt that I ever will. I'm feeling more and more negative about travel; hoping that this feeling subsides before December.

I was awake at 5:15 a.m. again, and I'm not pleased.

I intend to wait for my flu vaccination until the last weekend in October, because I'm scheduled to donate blood on the 24th, although a recent flu vaccination is not a disqualification.

books.jpg.630a83fea03dde0ec802228ce7fc5441.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 5

We were in General San Martin in January 2023 on the Volendam Grand South America.  We took a bus ride to Paracas and boarded an open boat to see the nature preserve which was packed with sea birds and sea lions.  I would recommend this tour.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230116_105317415_HDR.jpg

oyster catcher 11623 resized.JPG

dolphins Peru 11623 cropped.JPG

guano  sea lion 11623.JPG

cropped-1.JPG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

We started a jigsaw puzzle this morning and time got away from me.  Sorry.

Gummy Bear Cocktail:

The Gummy Bear cocktail is a sweet and colorful drink that's sure to brighten up any occasion. It's a playful and fun drink that's perfect for parties, or for anyone looking for a little bit of nostalgia in a glass. The cocktail gets its name from the fruity gummy candies that are a popular treat among many. With its sweet and tangy flavor, the Gummy Bear cocktail is sure to become a favorite for those who love a sweet and fruity drink.

Ingredients:
1 oz. Pineapple juice
.25 oz. grenadine
3 oz. cranberry juice
1 oz. peach schnapps
2 oz. raspberry vodka

Directions:
In a shaker with ice add raspberry vodka, peach schnapps, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and grenadine then shake well until chilled.
Strain the mixture into a glass filled with ice and garnish with a few gummy bears(optional).

Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 9.10.53 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  The last two days I have had to be up at 6 and out the door by 7 something, both days we arrived just on time!  And then the rest of the days were work, break work, break not being long enough to come back to the daily, I feel like I missed two days of my life.

DH pulled his back out yesterday pulling on socks, and by the time we got to the hospital he couldnt walk, I got him as far as the check in for the PET scan, and mentioned I should probably get him a wheelchair, which he stayed in to get into the exam, and back to the car.  He moaned and groaned all day.  In fact a woman who was waiting for her hubby, said there was someone who was yelling in pain in the scanning area.  Yup, that was hubby.  But I couldnt get him to relax the rest of the day.  I set him in front of the tv at home, and he watched TV, but he kept getting up to do something, and yelled pretty much all day.  I worked, collected the trash (garbage day got changed due to the holiday) ,made tuna salad for lunch, and used the leftover steak for beef curry.  It was the best one I have made yet, and I think the secret was I cleaned out the fridge and put left overs in the curry.  Like chopped tomato, which sweetened it a bit, and a sweet onion, green beans, and the steak.  

And then most of the day, when I did get a free moment, I was watching the news about the shooting in Winder.  Yes, this 14 year old will be tried as an adult, but 10 to 1 his parents will also be charged with negligence and a few other items.  And the "authorities" knew he had been talking about doing this last year, talked to his father, who said the kid didn't have access to his guns, and hey parent, when there is a will there is a way, and he should have been seen medically to find out where all the hate came from.  So adults dropped the ball on that one.

As a woman said to me last night, I dont go out anymore, I'm old, and I am scared to go out.

Speaking of going out, our local symphony Dekalb Symphony Orchestra which used to perform around the corner from us, moved due to construction on the theatre they were using, and the concerts this year will be spread out in churches around the county.  The cost went down, but money has been tight with getting these cats spayed and neutered, and I was not sure how far I wanted to drive in the dark to new places.  So I didnt renew, this really was something that we love doing, and supporting, but we already knew we didnt want to go to one concert because of the location. So we procrastinated, and then the president left me an email, and then a telemarketer called, I made a payment plan suggestion to her, then bounced it off the president, who while loves creative thinking, didnt want to think like I did.  I checked out the next email from her, and checked one of credit cards, I had enough to pay in full, and renewed on line. So, we renewed.  And now I am going to drive around this weekend, to find the first location.  Something to do to get us out of the house!  We also have a free concert tomorrow at noon at Emory, I am hoping that DH will be able to be more mobile tomorrow.  I have to admit, if not, I may just leave him at home.

Time to walk the dog, and I am so glad that I found time to be with you this morning.  I hope you all have a great day.

This is a picture from Elche in Spain.  I sent DH with my camera, as this was one excursion I really wanted to do, but was stuck in the ship hospital.  Its a World Unesco Site.

image.thumb.jpeg.5f21daae42a760ef4d6900837c670d3b.jpeg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning from an overcast day at the beach

I dont like being late and never intentionally do so. the worst is "those people" on an excursion. Cheese pizza is my favorite. I have never been to todays port- thanks for the pictures.

I am not a fan of kale but do eat it on occasion.

Waiting on the launch, it was scrubbed yesterday. Rescheduled until today. Very cloudy so dont think I will see much.

DH is out cleaning the garage. I suppose I should help!  Golf this afternoon. Yeah!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25