The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 9th, 2024

Today is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Awareness Day, International Box Wine Day, and International Buy A Priest A Beer Day

There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings

Meal Suggestion for today - Loaded Black Bean Nacho Soup
Drink of the Day - Revolver
Wine of the Day - Vinedo Chadwick 2021 (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Jeju (Cheju) City, South Korea

Today in History:
1776 Congress officially renames the country as the United States of America (from the United Colonies)

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Juneau, Alaska   1230-2200  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0900-0930
1330-2230

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Alaska   eta 09-10  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome
Portland, England   0700-2200  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Hubbard Glacier, Alaska   1500-1800  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece   0800-1600  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Rotterdam
Grundarfjordur, Iceland   0700-1300  

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
Portland, Maine   1100-2300  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
At Sea Destination Dutch Harbor, Alaska   eta 09-10  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Halifax, Nova Scotia   1000-1800

image.thumb.png.0c157642527faca1e71bb36da901d59e.png

image.thumb.png.b5664759fabec19bdadca21f717086c9.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  The weather is pleasant today.  Currently it’s 61F and we will enjoy a sunny day with a high temperature of 85.  Not too shabby.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for preparing the Daily and Fleet Report content ahead of your cruise.  Some good days to recognize although there seems to be a theme, alcohol!  It’s too early to be thinking about quotes.  The soup sounds interesting, but I’ll pass on the cocktail and am unsure about the wine.  It was a big day for our country when it was renamed from United Colonies to United States of America.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers today for our Daily Care list folks with Roy at the top of the list.  Also Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Melanie and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie who is undergoing more surgery today, Nancy’s DB Nick, Ann and Pat, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Terry and Jim, Bruno and Vanessa. 🙏 I hope Roy is better quickly, that Tana feels a little better today, that Terry’s hip is not as painful, that Bonnie has a successful surgery, and some positive news, that Nick quickly overcomes the UTI and that the heparin is working well, that Jacqui’s foot and legs are not as painful and she has a good day today, and all on the list show improvement.  Prayers too for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, our troops overseas in harm’s way, and for the families affected by the recent school shootings. 🙏 Meanwhile, cheers to all celebrating something, cruising and preparing to cruise. 🎂🥂 Thank you so much Vanessa for your hard work on the Lists.

The port of the day is Jeju (Cheju) City, South Korea.  This is a port I have never been to before (just Busan).  This was the port of the day before on Feb. 15, 2022 and Oct. 9, 2023.  Here are the links for those dates to help you retrieve your photos.  Thanks in advance for posting them.

Happy Anniversary to Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Hope you all have a great day and please, stay safe and keep well.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, in the hospital on IV abx, PE

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, more surgery 9/9

Rafinmd (Roy) in the hospital with vertigo, probable rehab after discharge

Marshhawk’s DH having immunotherapy today

Families of those killed & injured in GA school shooting; Maryland school shooting

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 15th Anniversary Marshhawk (Annie & Chuck)!

Jodi58’s new grandchild Thomas, born 9/7!

Ger_77’s DH getting a good report at the cardiologist, cruising in February

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Luvteaching (Eurodam to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 24

Revolver cocktail:

The Revolver is a caffeinated twist on the classic Manhattan that was created by San Francisco bartender Jon Santer in the early 2000s. It first appeared at Bruno’s before Santer took the drink with him to Bourbon & Branch, the acclaimed cocktail bar.
The original Revolver was locked and loaded with the spicy bite of rye-heavy Bulleit bourbon, which was new on the scene then. The drink can be recreated with any good bourbon, but if you want to stick true to the original, you can’t go wrong with Bulleit.
Rather than reaching for a bottle of sweet vermouth, à la the Manhattan, Santer employs a slug of coffee liqueur to give the cocktail depth and a hint of sweetness. A couple dashes of orange bitters round the drink’s edges, lending subtle brightness to that dark and mysterious duo.
Ingredients:
2 oz. bourbon
1/2 oz. coffee liqueur
2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: flamed orange peel
Directions:
Add the bourbon, coffee liqueur and orange bitters to a mixing glass filled with ice, and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Flame an orange peel over the top of the drink to express its oils, then garnish with the peel.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 6.15.23 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 22

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

I have a busy day here today. Work until 11 am, then take Suzi to the hospital for ten-year colonoscopy. They are also doing an endoscopy as she has been losing iron from internal bleeding. Hopefully, they can burn those parts off like last time and she will get her iron count back to normal. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

IMG_0211.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another Monday, I hope it's the start of a good week for everyone.

The sun is just starting to rise, there's just a bit of light in the sky.  We've got a few showers in the forecast for this afternoon, I hope it's not too cold.  Bertie doesn't mind.

Interesting days to celebrate.  I love boxed wine.  I don't know a priest.  Funny, how those days are the same day as Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Awareness.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I'll try the drink, I hope the wine is tasty too.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a great day .

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good Monday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi and Rich.  A good quote by Billings.   I'll pass on the meal, the cocktail and will learn something when we read about today's vino.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  I hope that you had a good day and evening with no dizziness. @seagarsmokerI hope everything goes smoothly for Suzi today.   Prayers for Roy that you get released to rehab and will be able to retrieve your electronics on the way.  Continuing prayers for Tana and Terry, Jim and Terri, Annie and Chuck, Melissa, Bonnie, Sandi's DB, Pat, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones and the remaining hostages.  

A beautiful day ahead so that calls for yard work.  The day started with the temps in the 50s.   We will probably working on pulling the dock out too.   Have a nice Monday.   Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good Monday morning to all.

Thank you to Sandi, for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Thank you to Vanessa for keeping us with us with all our illnesses and celebrations.

Thank you to the F&B crew — Debbie, Ann and Dixie for your dedication to keeping us fed and hydrated.

@rafinmd Roy, I hope you are on the mend.  While it is no fun to be heading to a rehab facility, it is better to have some help right now than trying to wing it on your own.  I hope you will be better and on your own very soon.

@sea sick sailor  Prayers for your DS as she undergoes surgery again.

@smitty34877 Prayers for you and Tana.  I hope you will soon be able to get a good rest.

@seagarsmoker Prayers that Suzi’s procedure goes well today.

Cheers to all who are cruising and celebrating.

Today I am driving my friend Jackie to Savannah for her pre-op testing.  Her niece is unable to drive her today because she has to work.  Thankfully there is no rain in the forecast.

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Thank for today’s FR&D, Sandi (for Rich)!  Praying that Roy gets back on his feet again soon. We had more torrential downpours and T-storms throughout yesterday afternoon & evening. And still no flooding on the road I take to my gym. They finally must have fixed the drainage problem. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that your symptoms disappear & stay gone for good - soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, I need to update my password list badly, so that will be a perfect rainy period activity. Now watch - it won’t rain here today. 

IMG_2026.jpeg.56f34ff803518b8cf5de827e76c5f193.jpeg

IMG_2074.jpeg.7b2baed15ab38b9a1d2e5d580fb5d00b.jpeg

The second in our Denali National Park sign series…

IMG_3372.jpeg.ec1830b78cd140f1b55bb81573141b3a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Bonnie, may her surgery capture every speck of cancer. Praying that Tana gets her “feisty” back. For Terry, may her hip issue get fixed fast and permanently. And may her day be uneventful. Praying for Melisa & DH, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Pat & Ann, Annie & Chuck, Suzi, Jacqui, Tony, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Happy Anniversary Annie & Chuck!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Viñedo Chadwick 2021

This Cab from Chile has a tiny bit of Petit Verdot (3%). It has lots of fans amongst the critics. I confess I can’t imagine paying that much for a bottle of wine. But perhaps if I were a gazillionaire, I wouldn’t think it was too expensive. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $352.99.

And the critics say…

ROBERT PARKER (100)

The 2021 Viñedo Chadwick fermented in stainless steel and troncoconic concrete vats, spent some 10 months in barrique, and then part of the wine (some 20%) was sent to the Stockinger foudres. The nose is reminiscent of a super elegant and sleek Bordeaux, pure and clean, less balsamic than in previous years and less herbal. It's perfumed and floral, precise, fresh and elegant, with very fine tannins, and despite the grape, it is more Pomerol than Graves, with 14% alcohol on the label but without any heat at all. It's velvety and luxurious, juicy and tasty, with fine-grained chalky tannins and the elegant stoniness that the best Maipos are capable of. It has structure and power, like the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove. This has to be the finest vintage for Chadwick; the wine made my heart beat faster—it's a wine of emotion. This is also my first 100-point wine from Chile! The final blend contains around 3% Petit Verdot from vines planted in 2005. There are some 10,000 bottles of this, and it was all bottled all at once on January 31, 2023.

JAMES SUCKLING (99)

Number 66 in the Top 100 from 2023
Beautiful nose with lots of currants, red cherries, flowers, roasted chili and dark chocolate. A fine hint of balsamic. More red fruit than black fruit here with bright cherries and a hint of cigar box. Really even on the palate, with a medium to full body and effortless tannins -- plentiful and silky. Extremely fine-grained and long. Very young but the superb freshness and the tannin quality of this vintage makes you think this is already drinkable.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 5

Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information.

Boy, oh boy, did we have some crazy weather and other happenings this weekend! First you know it’s been hot hot hot. Saturday we had FOUR earthquakes nearby in less than 2 hours, ranging from 2.6 to 4.1 magnitude. I only felt one of them. First time I felt an earthquake while in the car. I was in line at the Starbucks drive thru. At first it was kinda scary because I thought someone was shaking my car. But when I realized what it was it felt like a ride. 😛 

Yesterday when I left the house for church I could smell smoke from the “nearby” Line Fire but the sky looked OK. By the time church was out you could definitely see smoke from the fire and our air quality was unhealthy. Then later in the afternoon we got a flash flood warning! I hope the rain helped with the fire. 

Prayers 🙏 for the Care List and Cheers 🎉 for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good Monday morning everyone.  It’s sunny and cool (51F) here this morning.  Thanks for the daily report.  If I run into a priest today I will offer to buy him a beer 🍺.

It’s too early to try and make sense of today’s quote.

I think I’ll pass on the meal and drink suggestions today.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  I hope @rafinmd’s stay in rehab is successful and short.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!  Happy anniversary to @marshhawk and @catmando 🥂

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It was only 51 earlier and I had to find my jacket! The kids heading for the school bus are of course dressed for summer in shorts and tees….

I am thinking this morning of Bonnie undergoing surgery and pray all goes well. Prayers too for Roy as he continues to recover.

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome  Awareness is so serious and I was surprised to see  it observed  on the same day as the other alcohol related drinks. I have  not been to the port .

My DSIL has to go home today but DB will stay for a few days. We are managing here but it is quite hectic and I am finding I need more physical help. Tana is not a big woman but she can help very little at this time with position changes and transfers. 
Take care everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Thank you Sandi, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Somehow during the summer when it was so hot a wasp nest established itself in a planting bed in our yard. I have been trying to eradicate it for the past week. Luckily we have had cool mornings where I try to attempt to uncover it to spray. Trying again this morning for the third time. I need to be careful as I disturbed a nest onetime when we were in Maryland without realizing it. They chased me into the house and stung me about 12-14 times when it was all done. I don't need that again!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Revolver cocktail:

The Revolver is a caffeinated twist on the classic Manhattan that was created by San Francisco bartender Jon Santer in the early 2000s. It first appeared at Bruno’s before Santer took the drink with him to Bourbon & Branch, the acclaimed cocktail bar.
The original Revolver was locked and loaded with the spicy bite of rye-heavy Bulleit bourbon, which was new on the scene then. The drink can be recreated with any good bourbon, but if you want to stick true to the original, you can’t go wrong with Bulleit.
Rather than reaching for a bottle of sweet vermouth, à la the Manhattan, Santer employs a slug of coffee liqueur to give the cocktail depth and a hint of sweetness. A couple dashes of orange bitters round the drink’s edges, lending subtle brightness to that dark and mysterious duo.
Ingredients:
2 oz. bourbon
1/2 oz. coffee liqueur
2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: flamed orange peel
Directions:
Add the bourbon, coffee liqueur and orange bitters to a mixing glass filled with ice, and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Flame an orange peel over the top of the drink to express its oils, then garnish with the peel.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 6.15.23 AM.png

I’ll take a shot at this drink. Does a six shooter equal six shots! 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 7
  • Haha 10