The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 14th, 2024

Good afternoon. I am very late today. i got very little sleep last night  but had a few hours this morning. DB surprised us with delicious swordfish and halibut. He has become friendly with the fish store manager and got wind of the upcoming delivery for Friday morning . It was a very tasty meal last night.

I salute sobriety day and remain grateful for mine. I would love any of delicious dishes for caprese salad  with pasta. I haven’t been to the port.

@mamaofami, Carol, so sorry to hear about Sam but I know Hospice will be able to help with the pain.

@rafinmd, Roy, it certainly sounds as if you are headed in the right direction. Do they have therapy on Sundays?

@StLouisCruisers! Enjoy the wedding! Very exciting!

@JazzyV, I am sorry that the cellulitis is taking so long to resolve and is still so painful. 

@Cruising-along, Carolyn, Tana and I love “Call the Midwife”. We watched a few episodes with DB and  he grudgingly admitted it was an interesting show. We have three left for this season to watch…..

• Like 23

31 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 
We’ve enjoyed the wonderful snorkelling in Roatan,   It was quite undeveloped when we visited so no photos. 

@mamaofami I’m sorry to hear your news but glad that you can get the help needed at home for Sam. 

We love Malasadas which our Portuguese filled donuts that are found in Hawaii.  Love the guava and lillikoi flavours,  

@doobieb beautiful flowers!  brave to get all those shots together.   I’m trying to space mine all out. 

@ellbelle those games are fun,  great you use the same words.  Now I’ll have to see how I do 😁

To those on the Hawaii cruise I highly recommend a visit to Paradise Bakery,  across the street from Target  in the International marketplace! 
image.thumb.png.3d966a066d7636e97a3b858769592c1b.png

IMG_2649.png

Brenda, somehow, your post did not make the multi-quote list.  Those donuts look amazing.  If we get Krispy Kreme donuts, it's their glazed donuts, especially when they are still warm.  Locally, I prefer the iced chocolate donuts, but when they were out a few weeks ago, I got the cream or custard filled ones, and they are good.  If there are still donuts on the third morning, the cream filled ones are still moist and fresh tasting.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

One of my cousins was a U.S. Marshal. He never spoke about his work.

I wouldn't object to the pasta caprese but wouldn't make it. I might like the cocktail, if the elderflower liqueur is sweet enough to offset the sourness of the lime and the bitterness of the absinthe. For the wine, let's splurge on the  2017 Brut Rosé from Ravines Wine Cellars, $39.95. "Like all Ravines Sparkling wines, it was made using the traditional "méthode champenoise" process. After the initial fermentation of 100% Pinot Noir grapes from the Argetsinger Vineyard, it is aged for many years on the lees in bottle and then hand riddled. The wine is rich and lifted with bright orange and red fruits, along with a creamy texture and long finish. Drink now, or let it age for another 5-8 years for continual evolution."

@mamaofami A friend who was a hospice nurse practitioner says that most families don't know how many ways hospice services can help and don't call as early as they might.

The contractor doing the smart-meter installation called to schedule an appointment--the technician who was in the neighborhood last week had neither the correct meter for a photovoltaic net-metering system, nor the training to install one. It's now supposed to happen October 31.

mrcantore.jpg.6803f60dc28342e4d1a07d28b652c7bd.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 16
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon. I am very late today. i got very little sleep last night  but had a few hours this morning. DB surprised us with delicious swordfish and halibut. He has become friendly with the fish store manager and got wind of the upcoming delivery for Friday morning . It was a very tasty meal last night.

I salute sobriety day and remain grateful for mine. I would love any of delicious dishes for caprese salad  with pasta. I haven’t been to the port.

@mamaofami, Carol, so sorry to hear about Sam but I know Hospice will be able to help with the pain.

@rafinmd, Roy, it certainly sounds as if you are headed in the right direction. Do they have therapy on Sundays?

@JazzyV, I am sorry that the cellulitis is taking so long to resolve and is still so painful. 

@Cruising-along, Carolyn, Tana and I love “Call the Midwife”. We watched a few episodes with DB and  he grudgingly admitted it was an interesting show. We have three left for this season to watch…..

They do but they give one OT and one PT each weekend.  Since I got both today I expect nothing tomorrow.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

...Good news, apparently Disney/ABC have settled the dispute with Direct tv. The blackout lasted 2 weeks. I missed my soap opera and Jeopardy...

Yes they did. And it's only costing us $9/month 🥴

Seems like the blackout was longer than 2 weeks, but maybe I just didn't like seeing the no service notice & it just felt longer.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

You're ahead of me.  I can't believe how far behind I am!  I have 8 to watch.  It always amazes me how they can always come up with new ideas for shows! Every one of them excellent.

• Like 13

Good morning Dailyites from the beautiful Westerdam. 

Our crossing,  as expected, has been rocky. Last night in Pinnacle Grill the waves washed right over the windows. 

Sandi Wishing blessings upon the bride and groom on their wedding day.

Roy, I hope you get stronger each day and you are in my prayers. 

Prayers lifted to each of our Daily friends. 

It's odd to see the Saturday Daily when it's Sunday here onboard.

We have a wine tasting invite today at 1:45. We may go and check it out. I remember @Sharon in AZ saying she enjoyed it.

Take care and have a great day. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry, I'm sorry you got so little sleep last night, especially because of the implications of what that means.  I hope tonight is better for everyone.

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites from the beautiful Westerdam. 

Our crossing,  as expected, has been rocky. Last night in Pinnacle Grill the waves washed right over the windows. 

Sandi Wishing blessings upon the bride and groom on their wedding day.

Roy, I hope you get stronger each day and you are in my prayers. 

Prayers lifted to each of our Daily friends. 

It's odd to see the Saturday Daily when it's Sunday here onboard.

We have a wine tasting invite today at 1:45. We may go and check it out. I remember @Sharon in AZ saying she enjoyed it.

Take care and have a great day. 

Joy, we have done the wine tastings on the BHBs, and have enjoyed them in recent years.  I hope the seas calm down for you soon.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, 

I'm back from the Eurodam and it was a wonderful cruise. We walked off the ship at 8:45, in the car by 9:30 and home by 11:02 so pretty seamless. Now to the unpacking, etc. 

I so appreciated the "Bon Voyages" last week and the "Welcome Back" today. I read the Daily every day but, for some reason, I can't log in on my laptop so can only read. Anyway, I'll update in bits and pieces over the next few days. Let's just say that the entertainment was AMAZING (yes, you read that right) as was the food. We got up close and personal with Johns Hopkins Glacier and saw calving. The couple that traveled with me are ready to go again in a heartbeat. The friend in my room would go again if I needed company but she's not used to the level of service and pampering so it took some getting used to. 

Off to do a few things here but I'll pop in and out with some updates, etc. 

Thank you!!

Karen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

@rafinmd, thank you for letting Lenda keep us up to date!  It sounds as if you have a terrific care team, and I am certain you are a motivated and compliant patient. We all wish you a strong and rapid recovery, and safe return home. 

Oh, I do have a bit of a parental-type scold. You commented that you took time to put on some clothes before calling 911. Seconds COUNT with strokes. The paramedics will give you a blanket. No time for modesty!  Forgive me. 🤗

My best to you!

• Like 17

46 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@rafinmd, thank you for letting Lenda keep us up to date!  It sounds as if you have a terrific care team, and I am certain you are a motivated and compliant patient. We all wish you a strong and rapid recovery, and safe return home. 

Oh, I do have a bit of a parental-type scold. You commented that you took time to put on some clothes before calling 911. Seconds COUNT with strokes. The paramedics will give you a blanket. No time for modesty!  Forgive me. 🤗

My best to you!

Thanks.  Stroke was not even on my radar when I called, as there was nothing but vertigo.  Even in the hospital they had almost ruled out a stroke for a couple of days.

Roy 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. My husband, Sam, has entered hospice at home. He has a lot of pain and we’re hoping they can relieve it. I can’t even tell you how I feel because I don’t know. He’s suffered since 2021 when he had 2 strokes. 

Prayers for you both. 🙏 

• Like 13

57 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon, 

I'm back from the Eurodam and it was a wonderful cruise. We walked off the ship at 8:45, in the car by 9:30 and home by 11:02 so pretty seamless. Now to the unpacking, etc. 

I so appreciated the "Bon Voyages" last week and the "Welcome Back" today. I read the Daily every day but, for some reason, I can't log in on my laptop so can only read. Anyway, I'll update in bits and pieces over the next few days. Let's just say that the entertainment was AMAZING (yes, you read that right) as was the food. We got up close and personal with Johns Hopkins Glacier and saw calving. The couple that traveled with me are ready to go again in a heartbeat. The friend in my room would go again if I needed company but she's not used to the level of service and pampering so it took some getting used to. 

Off to do a few things here but I'll pop in and out with some updates, etc. 

Thank you!!

Karen

Karen, I'm glad you had such a good time on your cruise.  Hopefully, your friend will adjust to all the service and papering.  It didn't take me long to adjust to the all the pampering and service.  We've been lucky on our recent cruises to have bar staff that pampered us even more than usual.  That's what is great about cruising.

Lenda

• Like 15

A man trying to reach rescue services in Dover, UK, called dispatchers in Dover, Delaware, in the US.

Recognizing that trying to refer the frantic caller to authorities in England could cost valuable time, Communications Operator MacKenzie Atkinson kept the man on the line and began collecting critical information. The caller provided the coordinates of the vessel, and Atkinson, who had recently acquired certification from the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch, followed protocols for a vessel in distress, officials said.

Meanwhile, Communications Officer Connor Logan began making international notifications. Within four minutes, he established contact with the several agencies, including the U.S. Coast Guard, French Coast Guard, His Majesty’s Coastguard in England, the United Kingdom’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency’s Coordination Center, and police stations in Dover, England, officials said.

https://apnews.com/article/boat-rescue-english-channel-dover-delaware-england-a593da7a90e80d2be621ba2291877cc0

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

As @kochleffel sad, “A friend who was a hospice nurse practitioner says that most families don't know how many ways hospice services can help and don't call as early as they might.”

i agree. Without my niece, who is a Hospice pediatrician, I doubt we would have sought out that support for my mom who moved in with us just as covid was shutting down senior living facilities across the country.  I was much too afraid of sending the wrong message as we tried to navigate daily care in the midst of the quarantine. .  Many of  my friends have traveled this same path and never knew the support Hospice can provide. Our Hospice nurses told me that local doctors do not usually suggest this to patients simply because they do not want to send business away.  My mom’s doctor was a good example- he was angry when we told him we were choosing Hospice care.  It was the right choice for us at the right time. I want to be an advocate for investigating Hospice care. 
Debbie

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

When we say “nothing much happened here this weekend….” we mean it.

When @durangoscots says it, a bear knocks down a fence nearby and then a passel of people show up  to  gather apples, that’s more than nothing!  

And just what is a gleamer?

Our  neighbors would probably all be out on the sidewalk if a chicken was in the area!  But a bear………yikes!

Debbie

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, doobieb said:

When we say “nothing much happened here this weekend….” we mean it.

When @durangoscots says it, a bear knocks down a fence nearby and then a passel of people show up  to  gather apples, that’s more than nothing!  

And just what is a gleamer?

Our  neighbors would probably all be out on the sidewalk if a chicken was in the area!  But a bear………yikes!

Debbie

And as a matter of fact, circulating on a neighborhood site it was  reported that a CHICKEN was seen at the local middle school 2 blocks away (so technically not on our street). Great excitement around here!

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

9 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

I won’t be over for dinner; not my favorite. 😩

That's ok.  We ate out tonight.

9 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. My husband, Sam, has entered hospice at home. He has a lot of pain and we’re hoping they can relieve it. I can’t even tell you how I feel because I don’t know. He’s suffered since 2021 when he had 2 strokes. 

I am sorry, Carol, that you are at this point, but as others have said, Hospice can provide you with tons of support.  Don't hesitate to speak up.  You should have a social worker stopping in and talk to him/her about your feelings as well as Sam's.  The Hospice nurses are wizards at dealing with pain effectively.  I wish you and Sam all the best and may he finally find comfort.

Our day was a good one.  The game was good and then we had a nice visit with River's great grandma.  We then went for ice cream before dropping River off at home.  We stopped at a favorite restaurant for an early dinner on the way home.

IMG_3612.thumb.JPG.d2e1b75c1ea2b2b3a6db4e27fd781137.JPG

This is River kicking the ball.  I was naughty and posted this picture and some others on FB and called out her derelict father for abandoning her.  I don't care if it makes him mad.  

• Like 24