The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 18th, 2024

Today is Chiropractic Founders Day, Hug A Greeting Card Writer Day, and International Equal Pay Day

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself -- Harvey Fierstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian All-American Portobello Burgers
Drink of the Day - Last Word
Wine of the Day - Bogle Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Punta del Este, Uruguay

Today in History:
1914 Irish Home Rule bill receives Royal assent

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Sitka, Alaska   0800-1600

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Skagway, Alaska   0700-2100

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome

Valencia, Spain    0800-1700

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer

Anchorage, Alaska   1400 arrival +1 overnight

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona

At Sea Destination Barcelona, Spain eta 09-19

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas

Sandnessjoen, Norway   0700-1500

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal

At Sea Destination Saguenay, Quebec eta 09-19

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Vancouver, BC, Canada 0700-1600

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston

Sydney, Nova Scotia   0800-1600

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan

At Sea Destination Yokohama, Japan eta 09-20

image.thumb.png.9309d654987e3083f29385e759fdbfb8.png

image.thumb.png.aa1d37a67ee844548f3de1f7442264c9.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 26

Good morning friends!  Today it is 63F and will be partly cloudy with a high temp of 81.  DH and I have our semi-annual dental cleaning this morning.  Perhaps we’ll go out for lunch afterwards.  Then home to work on my cross stitching – AGAIN! 🪡

Thanks to you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily information that you provide.  I hope everything in Japan is going well and you’re really enjoying it there.  Let's recognize our chiropractors (I don't have one but was once a neighbor and friend to one), appreciate greeting card writers for getting the words just right, and agree we should all get equal pay for equal work.  I totally agree with the quote by Fierstein.  I'll pass on portobello burgers.  Interesting name for a drink but I would probably pass and have a glass of wine.  Unfortunately not a red wine but today's wine would be fine for DH.  An important day in Ireland's history.  Another big thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and beverage reports. ♥️

Prayers for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Dixie, Terry and Jim, and Carol and Sam.  Virtual hugs to Terry today as she remembers her DD DH Lou. 🙏 Sending good thoughts to all for less pain and a big improvement for everyone’s condition.  Special prayers for my DB, all the people in Israel and Ukraine, the last of the hostages still held, and our brave men and women of our military in the region. 🙏 A big noisy salute to those celebrating special events today and those cruising and preparing to cruise. 🎉 Many thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for holding down the fort with our Care and Celebration lists.  Less than two weeks until your New England/Canada cruise!  Hopefully your leg will be much improved by then.🤞

The port of the day is Punta del Este, Uruguay.  I don’t believe I’ve ever been there before so no photos today from me.  This was the port before way back on Aug. 18, 2021 and more recently on Jan. 26, 2023.  Here are the links in case you’d like to re-post your photos from then.

Hoping for a good day for everyone here.  As usual, stay safe and keep well!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

It's a muggy morning here in SC. 70 degrees and the humidity is 98%. The forecast is a good chance of rain with a high of 80 degrees. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. 

IMG_1032.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Last Word cocktail:

The Last Word is a gin-based cocktail originating at the Detroit Athletic Club in the 1910s, shortly before the start of Prohibition.
Ingredients:
1 part Gin,
1 part Green Chartreuse,
1 part Lime juice,
1 part Maraschino liqueur
Preparation:
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 6.19.44 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Hump Day!   It's hard to believe it's Wednesday already.

Cool and clear this morning, but should warm up to a lovely 26C (79F) this afternoon.  We've really been enjoying these temperatures, but the days are already too short, sunrise isn't until after 7am.  Bertie and I will go for a walk then.

I don't know any chiropractors, I don't know any greeting card writers, but I definitely believe in Equal Pay.

I like the quote

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate, no matter how small.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting rain today. Here it is dark out. Fancy will not be happy. 

All checked in for my cruise! In three weeks, I will be boarding the NCL Sky for 10 days cruising from Quebec. All that is left is the packing and I am working on that. The official packing will start after my nephew's wedding. Everything else is ready unless there are last minute flight changes. Today, I am grading five classes of assignments so wish me luck there. Luckily since I work from home, I can lay done if needed. Sometimes reading essays from these students causes a rather large headache. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

111 Awsome Hillarious Funny Wednesday Memes Of All Time

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi - for Rich.  Praying that your biopsy results are negative. I am so sorry you have to wait to have the biopsy. 

Yesterday we did not have one drop of rain here! Not one! The sun was spectacular and there was no humidity. And this morning is also cool with an amazing full moon. Hoping for another dry day. 

IMG_4893.jpeg.90c797b41a567a5153a83b9bb43cb8cc.jpeg

Vanessa, praying that your leg’s pain and swelling go away. Soon. Thank you for sharing our cares & celebrations!

Gym, Bindi walks, lots of chores, maybe some pool time - though I suspect the water will be too cool for me. Just an average Wednesday. 

IMG_3438.jpeg.379889ef9eb05186b5080cd5fbde1873.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg.0e8376f07b4cbecb98b9fcafa1eaf9e8.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg.936169e13064d7148cb3e5d8bfcf7b28.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support: Tana, Terry (and Lou), Melisa & DH, Chuck & Annie, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Bonnie, Sandy, Dixie, Roy, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Bogle Cabernet Sauvignon 2022

I used the 2022 vintage info, since that seems the easiest to find. And it is easy to find. Even Walmart!  And it is priced to try. Even if you just need some red wine for a recipe. Online prices start at $8.98.

Winemaker notes

The 2022 California Cabernet Sauvignon is a remarkable reflection of the vintage, with a deep garnet color that alludes to its depth and intensity. The nose is greeted by inviting aromas of cherry, cassis, tobacco and plum, further enriched by nuances of clove, vanilla and hazelnut—a testament to its aging in American oak barrels
for one year.
Upon entry, the wine delivers a rich and full mouthfeel that envelops the palate. The tannins are supple and well-integrated, leading to a long, lingering finish that invites you to savor each sip. This Cabernet Sauvignon is both elegant and powerful, making it a perfect pairing for hearty dishes or enjoyed on its own.
This versatile wine pairs well with a variety of foods like rib-eye steak with blue cheese butter, roasted eggplant with provolone cheese and dark chocolate mousse with fresh berries.
12 months in one-year-old American oak

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 4

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

0106’s DH fell on cruise, required spine surgery, now recovering

JazzyV battling cellulitis, leg swelling and pain

Ottahand7’s DB post 2nd TKR, on IV abx, in rehab

Rafinmd (Roy) in rehab

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Mamaofami’s DH Sam having pain, in home hospice

Haljo1935 with kidney stones and needing shoulder surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage St Pete Cruiser!

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, lymph nodes neg 2nd surgery

Denise T’s dissertation draft not needing editing so far

Kazu moved into new home; house sold

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Tbay (Volendam to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, St Pete Cruiser (Serenade of the Seas to Sept 22) 4d Caribbean,  Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 25

Thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy hump Day!   A beautiful cool morning which is a blessing because the house cooled off to 68 in some rooms and 70 in the main room.  More days in the 80s and no AC.   Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich and Sandi.  A good group of days and a good quote.  I'll pass on the meal and the drink and wine.  We have been to Punta del Este in February 2023.

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa. Prayers that your cellulitis continues to improve.  Prayers for Roy in rehab, Tana and Terry, Elizabeth, Sam, Sandi's DB, Terri and Jim, Melissa, Bonnie, @0106 DH, Chuck and Annie, and those who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine.   

We are heading to Costco and then I will join my DS and we will visit my DB.  Have a lovely day! Nancy 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

Another chilly start to the day with the promise of sunshine and a high in the low 80s.  The house cools down nicely at night and that keeps it from getting too hot during the day.  I love it when I don't have to run the AC.  

Nothing much on the agenda today except a haircut.  I am so glad I changed hair stylists.  My new one is so much better than the one I had before.  

@0106 Oh, my gosh, Tina!  I am so glad your DH is well on the road to recovery now and will be in good shape for the Hawaii cruise.  But, how scary at the time.  I'm glad you had insurance to cover the situation and few home in style!  

@marshhawk Hoping all is going well with you and Chuck.

@mamaofami Has Sam been able to get some relief with Hospice?  They are usually pretty good with managing pain.

@JazzyV I sure hope there is marked improvement in your leg.  

@StLouisCruisers One day at a time.  

@rafinmd Work hard, but rest easy.

@smitty34877 You and Tana are always in my thoughts.

I have had portobello mushroom burgers before and they were good, but if I am going to fire up the grill and have a burger, it will be beef.  I would grill some portobellos as a garnish or a side dish, though.  Vegetarian All American Portobello Burgers

portobelloburgers1.jpeg.5ba9c31131615e167f521a4aaf60ea15.jpeg

This recipe marinates the portobellos in worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder.   Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers

portobelloburgers2.thumb.jpg.ccc953ca5a37f7d9d2af7081754917b6.jpg

Epic Portobello Mushroom Burger also marinates the portobello but has a slightly different marinade.  

portobelloburgers3.thumb.jpg.88198e1f353d6d1d5b408eccde703808.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 19

We visited Punta del Este on the Grand South America on the Volendam.  It is a beautiful city with gorgeous beaches.  It was probably my favorite city on the voyage.  Part one of a wonderful HA shorex. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Hello Dailyites and Thank You for the Reports!!

The days to celebrate are good -- but I especially will celebrate and enjoy Cheeseburger Day that was added in the thread!!!

And...  portobello burgers are yummy...  so they can be part of this!!!

the drink and the wine sound wonderful, too!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is gloomy and cool at 64 degrees now. We have rain expected and there are flood warnings for our usual coastal locations.

I fully support equal pay but don’t expect that to happen in my lifetime anymore. The portobello burgers would be a big hit here . I have not been to the port but it looks great.

@0106, Tina, I am so glad to hear that you and DH got safely home  and that he received  excellent care. I hope you both continue to recover at home.

@seagarsmoker, it was nice to see your pictures yesterday, thanks.

This is an old picture of DD DH on our Bermuda cruise in 2010 on the Veendam. Good times!

IMG_0942.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning and thank-you for today’s report, recipes and lists.  I’ll replace hug a greeting card writer day with cheeseburger day.  Most cards that I read when shopping for one are cringy and most cheeseburgers that I eat are delicious.

I like today’s quote especially the never let yourself be a victim part.

I’m going to skip the meal.  I’ve made today’s drink several times in the past and all you need is one!

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events.  Bon voyage to @St Pete Cruiser! 🛳️🍾

• Like 25