The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 20th, 2024

Today is National Care for Kids Day, National Fried Rice Day, and National String Cheese Day

I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then I want to move in with them. - Phyllis Diller

Meal Suggestion for today - Veggie Kabobs
Drink of the Day - Dirty Martini
Wine of the Day - Mary Taylor 2019 Marine Descombe (Juliénas)
Destination of the Day - Sakata, Japan

Today in History:
1519 Spanish expedition led by Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan sets off on the 1st successful circumnavigation of the globe (Magellan killed on route)
1973 Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs in battle-of-sexes tennis match
1990 Both East and West Germany ratify reunification

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Victoria, British Columbia   2000-2359  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada   eta 09-21  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome
At Sea Destination Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy   eta 09-21  

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer
Kodiak, Alaska   1000-1800  

Oosterdam --- 10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus-Athens
Cannes, France   0900-1800  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas
At Sea Destination Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland   eta 09-21  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
Quebec City, Quebec   0700-2000  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska  

1000-1030

Juneau, Alaska                                                                              1330-2200

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston

Portland, Maine   1100-2100  

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Yokohama, Japan   -ovn--2100

image.thumb.png.10b65a4e09e0d542a1fc75f1d75e5fdb.png

image.thumb.png.3cd98e359e84e34f7d6cf608c6beb5bd.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 26

Thank you for the Reports!!  I look forward to recipes and more information!

The Days all seem good to celebrate!  And, as we grow older... Phyllis had the right idea!!!

The destination of the day is one which my child loves!!  They try to visit Japan, once or twice each year!!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's a nice morning with a temp of 63 and clear skies.  High today will be a warm 88F with sunshine all day long.  It's Friday so I think we will head to Kroger and stock up.  I'm craving ice cream and there's none in the house. 😉

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily content.  I'm happy to celebrate caring for kids.  I 'm not surprised there's a fried rice day, and I never eat string cheese but know it's a staple in some kids' school lunches.  I just love Phyllis Diller quotes!  Veggie kabobs are good but can you add a bit of chicken or beef to mine?  I wouldn't be able to drink a martini for sure and have no idea what type of wine today's is.  A great day in history for Spanish expeditions (but poor Magellan), women's equality in the tennis world and Billie Jean King, and of course progress in Berlin for peace between East and West.  Thanks to our gals Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports each day.  

Prayers for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Dixie, Terry and Jim, and Carol and Sam. 🙏 Special prayers for my DB, all the people in Israel and Ukraine, the last of the hostages still held, and our brave men and women of our military in the region. 🙏 Hurray for everyone celebrating special events, cruising and preparing to cruise. 🎉🥂 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for getting up early and posting your lists for us each day.  Great job!  Hope you are doing better each and every day!

The port of the day is a brand new one, Sakata, Japan.  I have not been there before but hope someone here has been and can share your photos and experiences.  No links to post.  

I hope everyone has a lovely day today.  Try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Happy Friday.  End of a very busy week.  MRI, Dental clean, and follow-up to Cataract surgery.

Dirty Martini:

Ingredients
2 1/2 ounces gin or vodka
1/2 ounce dry vermouth
1/2 ounce olive brine
Garnish: 2 to 4 olives
Steps
Add the gin or vodka, vermouth and olive brine to a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a skewer of olives.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 6.15.54 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15

35 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy Friday.  End of a very busy week.  MRI, Dental clean, and follow-up to Cataract surgery.

Dirty Martini:

Ingredients
2 1/2 ounces gin or vodka
1/2 ounce dry vermouth
1/2 ounce olive brine
Garnish: 2 to 4 olives
Steps
Add the gin or vodka, vermouth and olive brine to a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a skewer of olives.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 6.15.54 AM.png

DH gets martinis on the BHB's with no vermouth, vodka (Chopin or Grey Goose), and olives but the olives can't be in the drink itself.  They lay the olive skewer across the top of the glass.  So I guess no dirty martinis for him!🍸

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning,

Just a quick note before I fix breakfast and get DH out of bed.

Thank you all for the well wishes as we travel to Jacksonville today.

Please say a prayer for my friend Jackie who had hernia surgery yesterday.  I heard from her daughter last night and she told me that Jackie was kept in the hospital overnight and they plan to discharge her today.  Don’t know anymore.  

I will post later if I am able.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Happy Friday.  Thanks for the report.

Another cool start to the day, only 8C (46F) brrr.  Good thing that the afternoons are warm and sunny.   I'll wait a little while before I take Bertie for a walk, my neighbour reported seeing 4 skunks at the sports field yesterday morning when she walked her dog.   She walks her dog around 6:30 before she heads to work, I'll wait until after 7 when the sun is up.

I support Caring for Kids, not a fan of string cheese or fried rice.

I like the quote.

Veggie kabobs would be a good side dish for chicken kabobs.  I'll pass on the drink.  I'll have to wait until I read about the wine before I decide if I'll like it and can afford it.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

I just heard today is National POW/MIA Day which is an important day to recognize and honor.  God bless them and their families.

And for Gerry @ger_77, if tonight is going to be pizza night, today is also National Pepperoni Pizza Day.  Now you don't have to make a decision on what kind of pizza to order. 🍕  😁

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

Cruzin Terri and Jim safe travels to Jacksonville and back

Cruzin Terri’s friend Jackie post hernia surgery yesterday

JazzyV battling leg swelling and pain

Rafinmd (Roy) in rehab

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Ottahand7’s DB post 2nd TKR, in rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 88th Birthday to HAL Sailer’s DH!

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, lymph nodes neg 2nd surgery

Denise T’s dissertation draft not needing editing so far

Kazu moved into new home; house sold

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Tbay (Volendam to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, St Pete Cruiser (Serenade of the Seas to Sept 22) 4d Caribbean,  Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 22

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Warm and sunny today. Tomorrow is my nephew's wedding. It will be so nice to be with family. I expect lots of tears as we honor his mother, my sister who passed away four years ago. Should be good weather. 

Today I have a dentist appointment and finishing up all my class work. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Friday Work Meme Cat

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

I woke up at six with a backache and couldn't get back to sleep.  It is still hurting a bit after walking around.  That generally gets rid of the pain.  I had an MRI on Wednesday night and I'm hoping they can find the source of that pain.  I do remember that the last time we did an MRI looking for the source of the flank pain I had it sent me on a course of surgeries - gall bladder, parathyroids, adrenal, and hernia.  I think we removed everything that was thought to cause that pain, but obviously not.  

Nothing much on the agenda today.  I'll hit the gym and then we are hosting Farkle Friday.  I'm making the grilled lemon garlic pork roast that was the meal of the day last week.  It sounded good to me so I wanted to try it.  No one better to be my taste testers than the Farkle gang.  

Safe travels today to @Cruzin Terri.  I hope your friend has a speedy recovery.  My hernia surgery was the most painful.  

Happy Birthday to @HAL Sailer's DH!   I hope things are going reasonably well for both of you.

I love grilled vegetables and have often grilled onion slices, tomatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers.  This site gives some good tips on grilling a variety of veggies.  The grilled veggies are a good side dish for grilled chicken or steaks or fish or burgers.....  just about any protein you want.  Easy Grilled Vegetable Kabobs

veggiekabobs1.thumb.jpg.afb46e241f64af140a2f8a6c498cdcc1.jpg

Lots of good information here on what kinds of vegetables are the best for grilling.  This recipe calls for a garlic herb sauce to brush on the veggies after grilling or during grilling.  Grilled Veggie Skewers

veggiekabobs2.thumb.jpg.57bf709c212044f9fd77adc08242d590.jpg

This one adds pieces of corn on the cob to the skewers and brushes them with barbecue sauce.  Veggie Kabobs

veggiekabobs3.thumb.jpg.185d430530d3e1f61f81e7654f05aee6.jpg

Do you have a favorite veggie you like to grill?   I've also done eggplant and it comes out really good.   Share with us!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi - for Rich! Yesterday was the second day this week with no rain. Hoping for two in a row today. And even better the humidity has dropped a bit. Maybe Fall is really coming soon!🤞🏻

Vanessa, praying that the swelling continues to go down and the pain goes away. Thank you for keeping up with all of us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, major cleaning of my outside furniture cushions - since I am having the gang back to my place for supper after tomorrow’s wine tasting at our local bar. I would like for us to sit outside and watch for deer. 

IMG_3455.jpeg.faf9cf65d4e482f13f208485555ef229.jpeg

IMG_3456.jpeg.b3408d9e1039dd8dbc61b6a21ffd9d94.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg.377cc9f93523dfe558c5e1f306b77951.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @HAL Sailer Happy Birthday to your DH!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Mary Taylor 2019 Marine Descombe (Juliénas)

If we drop the vintage year, this wine’s name sounds like the name of a friend. This wine sounds lovely, but I would need to taste it to be sure it wasn’t too sweet for me, before I bought a bottle. Easy to find. Online prices start at a reasonable $17.97.

Winemaker notes

From the northernmost of the cru villages in the Beaujolais, this small appellation is known for its steep and ancient bluestone schist slopes.  The Descombe family has farmed these south-facing slopes for more than 120 years in the heart of Beaujolais at an altitude of 400 meters. The farming and winemaking practices are committed to sustainability and respect for their soil and their vines.

Ensuring the highest quality of fruit for this bottling starts in the fields, with hand harvesting and strict sorting of the clusters in the vineyard and cellar. Whole clusters are fermented in concrete tanks and assisted by native yeasts for a nineteen-day maceration before pressing. The wine then rests in more concrete for 15 months to age.

Hand harvesting, biodiversity in the vineyards with rows of forest lining the plots, partial destemming, natural yeasts and ageing in gentle cement vats leads to a wine of elegance and grace.

Size: 750ml
Appellation: Juliénas
Soil Type: Blue stones, slate, and diorite
Varieties: 100% Gamay
Farming: Sustainable
Alcohol: 13.5%
Aging Details: Concrete

Wine Enthusiast Best of Year 2023 Buying Guide: 91 Points, Editor’s Choice

“Deep ruby in color, this wine has a perfumed nose of raspberry, black tea and red currant with a hint of blueberry. Slightly grippy tannin affords added texture with some savory notes on the back palate. This Juliénas tends towards ripe summer fruit tempered by forest floor. Mary Taylor Wine. Editors’ Choice.”

– Reggie Solomon

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone.  I thought I would be typing my comments today on my.brand new laptop.  CC seems to be taking on an endless circle of passwords and verification.   Thank goodness my phone works.  Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi and Rich.  Three good days, I enjoy fried rice as a very rare high carb treat.   A funny quote and I look forward to seeing photos of today's port.  I'll pass on the meal and cocktail but today the vino sounds good.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Continuing prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Terri and Jim, Roy, Sandi, Sandi's DB, Melissa, Jacqui, Bonnie and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones.   

Today will be a mani and Pedi and then a visit to my DB taking my DS along.  I got aot of my weeds pulled and plants in small pots moved to larger pots.  Today is rather a day of rest instead of heavy gardening in high heat.  Have a great Friday! Nancy the

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates.  I’ll celebrate caring for kids and fried rice.  I don’t think there’s much to celebrate about string cheese it’s usually a diet food for me.

The quote is pretty funny, I loved watching Phyllis Diller performing. She always cracked me up.

The meal suggestion sounds delicious but I’ll pass on the drink.  Like @StLouisCruisers DH, us martini drinkers are very particular about what does or doesn’t go into the glass and olive brine would be a definite no no in mine.

I have not been to today’s port.

Praying for those on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!   Happy Friday!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday! 😀 Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information.

We’ve had nice cool weather for the past week but it will start to get warmer tomorrow. Not a heat wave, hopefully just warm enough not to wear socks all the time. 

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. I have nothing planned, just volunteering at church. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.  Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon and thank you Sandi for today's daily reports.

It is 60°F but cloudy.

We picked up our lovely new Automatic hybrid car this morning.

3 good days and quote.

I will pass on the food and drink.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are unwell.

I hope everyone has a great day.

17268329486596646703671474512257.jpg

1726833025025304181160599101570.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

@Mr. Boston I forgot one very important thing.  The martini must be shaken so it's got those tiny shards of ice in the martini when they deliver it.  Yes, martini drinkers are very particular about their drink.

Graham @grapau27 love the new car pic.  Looks great!  Just one important thing.  Does it have space on the dashboard for your sandwich and/or coffee cup?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Mr. Boston I forgot one very important thing.  The martini must be shaken so it's got those tiny shards of ice in the martini when they deliver it.  Yes, martini drinkers are very particular about their drink.

Graham @grapau27 love the new car pic.  Looks great!  Just one important thing.  Does it have space on the dashboard for your sandwich and/or coffee cup?

Thank you Sandi.

The inside is plusher and top of the range but very similar to my previous car inside and the car colour which we love is the same.

IMG_20240920_130244.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good evening from the beautiful Westerdam. It is Friday Sept 20th here.

We had a great but VERY HOT day in Yokohama. Allen decided to stay onboard. I walked almost 4 miles, through beautiful gardens, promenade, and China Town. I thought I was melting by the time I returned to the ship.

Tomorrow I will go in search of some souvenirs since I got a tip on shopping today from a fellow guest.

Prayers lifted for our Dailyites and others on @JazzyV list. Vanessa, I'm 98% sure @lindaler is not on our cruise. 

Thinking of our Roy and Sandi.

Blessings to you all.

20240920_094826.thumb.jpg.9a7b668efd5207e626eadd6d4c331944.jpg

20240920_095538.thumb.jpg.3f418b319c048a6061fded9855f8d54d.jpg

20240920_095609.thumb.jpg.50cb2c2426824b90e1be5ee3efbefcfc.jpg

20240920_095802.thumb.jpg.a1db42921d2a4fee7ba459a7c3cb6f1d.jpg

20240920_100557.thumb.jpg.2d24551c6b67dec401b95fd93aa9db1a.jpg

20240920_102759.thumb.jpg.8d95fbdecd569c9491d52da2751e92d4.jpg

20240920_102804.thumb.jpg.353bac4593c1188a5c96482f099374d5.jpg

20240920_102850.thumb.jpg.8f2260daae9fc12b1a64b5e5520b8e58.jpg

Canaletto tonight:

20240920_184559.thumb.jpg.51dc376da5089d4736ed60e53d576710.jpg

20240920_184604.thumb.jpg.c3d8f849b77ba77f058c6854eb29d432.jpg

The view of Yokohama from our balcony:

20240920_204121.thumb.jpg.247999884f73fcb92a701b1a9bf73f87.jpg

20240920_204130.thumb.jpg.1a850d658404303f962062c8a952a2b2.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Good morning all. Our string of really lovely weather will most likely end this afternoon as thunderstorms are predicted. It will still be warm tomorrow and Sunday but rain, in varying amounts is predicted for all next week. Will clean the garage this morning so the coming rain won’t hinder the few inside things I have left to clean and sort thru- closets in bedrooms,  file cabinet, etc. i have a few sewing projects, too, that will keep me occupied during the rains.

the garden is winding down, mostly the fall vegetables left - parsnips and leeks as well as endive for salad. That usually lasts until the first heavy frost. The bed for next year’s garlic has been readied and it will go in late October, early November. 

wishing everyone a good Friday and safe travels if on the road. Prayers for those that need them and a shout out for those celebrating.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Planning our Spring cruise for next year, we ran into a snag. We are planning a trio of cruise and then a week or so in Italy before returning home. It begins with a HAL Transatlantic, a same day cross pier transfer in Barcelona to Celebrity that will end in Civitavecchia. The next leg is again a cross pier transfer to MSC. But the other day the MSC site went blank for that ship!  I happen to call our MSC Concierge who told me that they were changing ship assignments for that cruise. Yesterday the revised assignments are on the website. Our planning can now continue. An added bonus is that I have been checking the Icelandair website for the return flight home. We may do the Icelandair stopover for a few days in Iceland as well.

Have a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 33