Do people still hand out business cards on cruise ships

expectthebest

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Huh? We have often gotten an RCI business card with our cabin stewards name on it and a number to call him for cabin service.

We haven’t seen a steward business card, post Covid. We have seen a QR code in the cabin for housekeeping.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That's funny. We just got off a cruise on Monday. We were dining in Coastal Kitchen and a solo lady was sitting at the table next to us. We chatted about cruising, duh... and she broke out a card and said that she was a travel agent and could top any "deals' we were currently getting. And then started the hard sale on the perks she could include in our cruise because her company was so large and buys blocks of rooms on every ship, every week. Blah... Blah.. Blah... "Look at the time, we need to get to a show... bye".

We have had this happen twice over the years. Both times it was a solo female cruiser. Probably not the same lady, but they went to the same “school” of sales. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

We haven’t seen a steward business card, post Covid. We have seen a QR code in the cabin for housekeeping.

That's odd. I don't think we ever received one PRE Covid but have received one every cruise SINCE Covid. Before Covid, the stewards were always out and about and we could always ask for something if we needed it. After Covid, there seems to be less interaction so they have left their card and told us to just call them if we need something.

It’s for just this reason that I carry a small rectangular piece of rice paper in my wallet. Take the card and place it in wallet. Then take out substitute and loudly munch it down! Ask them if they have any more cards you can save for later! 

On a similar vein, I find that if I am on a park bench, say shouting at pigeons, and somebody sits next to me, it always helps to say….”did you bring the money?” Works just as well on a bus!

• Haha 3

About a year ago I was on a cruise with a woman in her early 70s. She was looking for a lasting relationship and had business cards printed with her name, number, etc. One night a group of us went for dinner with a single man she had rounded up and he spent the entire time talking about a past relationship. She was very hurt that he had returned her card.

33 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

That's odd. I don't think we ever received one PRE Covid but have received one every cruise SINCE Covid. Before Covid, the stewards were always out and about and we could always ask for something if we needed it. After Covid, there seems to be less interaction so they have left their card and told us to just call them if we need something.

Seems like there is no pattern. We haven’t seen them on Mariner, Freedom, Oasis (x2), Symphony and Harmony. 🤷‍♂️

The OP's friend would be in violation of the cruise contract by handing out his business cards. Best case, he gets told off by a ship's officer. Worst case, he gets a good picture of the ship sailing away without him after he gets disembarked.

He won't be able to just walk into the MDR to drop off cards on tables during setup, the doors will be closed. The crew will clean up any cards he leaves in the buffet.

• Like 1

Congratulations @expectthebest

Your creativity has garnered so many reasonable responses.

Surely, you wrote your original post as a hoax.

Hoping you are enjoying all the posts addressing your concerns about “Ron’s” purported sales pitch on a cruise ship.

Wondering when the Mods will lock this thread.

Enjoy your day!

MJ

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, expectthebest said:

Now he did mention going to the dining room earlier and placing his business cards on a few tables as they are being set maybe position them around the butter dish?

5 hours ago, expectthebest said:

He also mentioned maybe hanging out by where you would pick up your cruise pictures. He said that may be a nice spot that other vendors may not have thought about setting up shop. 

If "Ron" is truly thinking outside the box, he should approach the MDR maître d to place the cards on the tables for him and maybe also hand some out as people are entering the venue.  The photographers could also simply hand them out to each passenger who has a picture taken and also stuff them in each picture pack.  I bet if he offered to cut them in on his resulting future sales commissions they would jump at the opportunity to help!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That's funny. We just got off a cruise on Monday. We were dining in Coastal Kitchen and a solo lady was sitting at the table next to us. We chatted about cruising, duh... and she broke out a card and said that she was a travel agent and could top any "deals' we were currently getting. And then started the hard sale on the perks she could include in our cruise because her company was so large and buys blocks of rooms on every ship, every week. Blah... Blah.. Blah... "Look at the time, we need to get to a show... bye".

I became a travel agent 22 years ago.  We were told never to bring business cards or talk about being a TA  Things have changed

49 minutes ago, cruise77 said:

I became a travel agent 22 years ago.  We were told never to bring business cards or talk about being a TA  Things have changed

NO...they haven't. I JUST started doing it a little on the side, and the first thing my agency told me when I mentioned I was going on a cruise- do not approach or try to sell anyone a trip while you are on the ship

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scottdalfonso said:

NO...they haven't. I JUST started doing it a little on the side, and the first thing my agency told me when I mentioned I was going on a cruise- do not approach or try to sell anyone a trip while you are on the ship

Sage advice as most people on a cruise have either booked directly, and are happy with that option, or have a TA that booked them on the cruise already. IMO it would be bad form to initiate a conversation that could compromise an existing TA / client relationship.

• Like 1

I'm doing good to tolerate the RCI people who try to sell me special tours or whatnot. But that's only on embarkation day. The rest of the cruise they leave you alone. And every once in a while, they offer a good deal - like the galley tour followed by a special lunch, and the price was worth it.
I remember one of my greatest pet peeves was having the PA system tell me 20 or 30 times about the art auction. They stopped doing that because so many people complained about it on the surveys. It was like paying for Netflix and then getting commercial breaks anyway!

• Like 2

I am currently using a scooter and, while on a cruise a couple of years ago, saw a man driving his scooter, who had some great mirrors on the handles, so he could see behind him! I asked where he got them, as I had been only able to find bike mirrors, which are too short and don't work for those on scooters. Lo and behold, the gentleman makes them out of his garage as a hobby! He always brings extra pairs while cruising and I bought a pair on the spot ($50)! Make it so much easier to back up my scooter, enabling me to see what's behind me! Anyway, I always carry a few of his business cards in my scooter for those who ask about them. I don't solicit. He calls his hobby business "See Behind Mirrors" and he lives here in Florida.

Also, regarding the leaving business cards on tables, when the spa and jewelry people walk around placing their flyers on our table, they usually get thrown in the trash. I tell them no thanks but they still leave the flyers. Hate that! But, maybe some people don't.

This post reminds me of the time my husband and I went to the wedding of one of his friends. The bride’s father was a stock broker and he approached my husband about investing with him. I guess he was trying to find a way to help cover the cost of the wedding. 
Pretty tacky for anyone to do but especially for the father of the bride. 

Edited by rncruiser
  • Like 1