Tuesday, October 8, 2024 Fleet Report & Daily

Posted (edited)

A quick good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas where it is 77F.  I had an early dentist appointment to have my teeth cleaned.  Everything looked good to the hygienist, and I don't have to go back until April.  I also got an unintended mini shower when the button stuck on the water line.  The rest is what I posted earlier that disappeared.

Ann @cat shepard and Sharon @Sharon in AZ  Thank you for reposting the FR/D.

Three interesting days to celebrate today.  Fortunately, neither of us have needed a podiatrist.  We may have salmon for dinner tonight.  Hydrogen and fuel cells could be a game changer.

I like the Helen Keller quote.

The apple muffins might be good for a quick breakfast.  We'll pass on the drink and probably the wine since I don't know what it is.  After seeing Ann's @cat shepardpost about the wine, we'll pass.

We have visited Nagasaki twice, and I'll share my pictures when I get back from

the dentist.

A good day for Captain James Cook in 1769 when he landed in New Zealand.

Where would we be without our microwave ovens.

This morning I sent Elizabeth @Haljo1935 an email, but it could not be delivered.  Also, the blue bubble is AWOL right now.  I'll try to resend the email and see what happens.

Nagasaki has been our port of the day three other times.  These are the links to September 1, 2023, January 22, 2022, and April 8, 2021, if anyone has pictures they would like to share.

I see Sandi @StLouisCruisers was posting the links at the same time I was posting them.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good evening.

Thank you Ann and Sharon for posting today's reports.

I got the All Clear from the skin cancer clinic at the hospital this morning and it has been strange not being able to post on CC until now.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 30

ScreenShot2024-10-08at09_28_53.thumb.png.5063576380c338fb537e7cee79334614.png

Whoa, what a morning!!  With CC down, it totally disrupted my morning routine!!  But, alas, the first world problem was solved!  Thanks for everyone stepping up and starting the daily and fleet report!!  I will celebrate the 3 days and Helen Keller with an apple muffin but no way will my lips touch the drink!  Never been to Nagasaki, and the days in history are very interesting.  I remember getting my first microwave for ~$700 and that was so pricey then but it lasted for years.

We are slowing heading to temps below 100F but not quite yet.  I have been enjoying the milder days; I have a feeling I will be freezing on my cruise.  🤷‍♀️

I have to find a pharmacy that has the Moderna vaccine but that might be a challenge.  I will get the flu vaccine at my yearly appt but they don't have the covid vaccine.  I may just need to settle for Pfizer.  I also made an appt with a perio dentist; my regular dentist at the last cleaning in June wanted to give me a referral but it left without one and I didn't follow up.  So at my cleaning last Friday I asked for one and I have an appt on Thursday.  Not a fan of any kind of oral docs but this problem has lasted for so long (years) that I need to have it looked at or I will lose that tooth - which will open up a myriad of other problems.  Oh, well, what can you do, ya'ni!

The hurricane looks horrendous and I hope anyone in its path stays safe and evacuates if asked.  The news from @rafinmd, @StLouisCruisers, and @aliaschief sound good and I hope healing continues.  @bennybear beautiful aurora pics!!

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, it's pleasant here, but I'm saying prayers for all in the path of Milton.  Sounds very scary there...

I'm making lasagna soup, maybe I got the recipe here.  We're going by DSIL to get rid of her old bed.  The frame broke last week, so a new one has been ordered...this one is at least 50 years old!  Lasted a long time!  I'll bring her a bowl, she doesn't like to cook anymore.  

Thanks for all of the info here...prayers for all in need. @StLouisCruisershoping you're feeling better after your biopsy yesterday.  

Have a good day, Karen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all - it looks like there was a lot of confusion on CC earlier.  I hope things have settled down.  Interesting days, I do use the microwave quite a bit, and even DH finds it useful to make his porridge in the mornings.   I have only been in Tokyo airport, so I really cannot include Japan in my list of countries visited.  I like muffins, but it frequently seems to me they are more cupcakes than muffins.

Screenshot2024-10-01at2_04_46PM.thumb.jpeg.f6522891b1b1c44028d91eeff72b3815.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Haha 13

26 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 
Thanks @dfish for the recipe as just we picked about 50 pounds of apples at D son’s  home.   Can’t believe he had so many without being able to water! 

Hope all can stay safe! 
@aliaschief take care! Yikes! 

We had an amazing aurora display last night! 

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

IMG_2414.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

This is when we need a WOW emoji!! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, happy to see CC up and running again.  @St Pete Cruiser I hope you stay safe and sorry about the bleeding from your biopsy.  

Prayers for all in our group in the path of Milton.  I have to go to a testing appointment prior to a doctor's appointment tomorrow.  Two days in a row a road trip of 20 some miles.  Prayers for everyone needing them. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I certainly wouldn't want muffins made from unhealthy apples. The cocktail formula doesn't seem right to me: Chambord is a raspberry liqueur, not grape. Grape liqueurs exist but aren't common; DeKuyper markets a grape pucker schnapps that is easier to find.

Although Cornell is in the Finger Lakes and developed the Chardonel grape at the New York Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva, at the north end of Seneca Lake, there are very few commercial producers of it here, maybe because, even though it's hardier than Chardonnay, it ripens very late. Commercial production seems to center on Virginia and Missouri. I did find a 100% Chardonel varietal, although not labeled as such, from Stever Hill Vineyards in Branchport, N.Y., as its house white, $16.

nopancake.thumb.gif.aad823aad6051dc28df217936f4357a2.gif

• Like 20
  • Haha 4

I've finally caught up on the Daily, and just in time.  We will have to leave in about 30 minutes for DH's PT session.  It will take a little longer since they are paving the highway into town, and it's down to one lane.  Another first world problem.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

As with the rest of you, had trouble getting on to CC.

I have another busy day.  

I already finished one appointment, have PT at 1:15 and then DH has a root canal at 2:45.

Meanwhile, I did something to my left knee and am having trouble walking.  I will go to an Orthopedic Urgent Care tomorrow.  There is just no time today.

Don’t know if i will be able to post later, but will try.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I hope all goes well for your DH when he has the root canal.  I'm sorry your knee is bothering you, and I hope it is nothing serious.

52 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good Morning. My my, anyone having anxiety reactions? CC is back up and running. Woke up finding out I had been bleeding during the night. They really did take a good hunk of flesh out of my calf yesterday. Hopefully, the sheets can be salvaged. Sue saw ortho yesterday and they are now going to do knee replacement on left leg as that one is really acting up. Eventually it will be both knees.

We’re falling apart. 
Thoughts and prayers for our fellow Floridians who are going to be hit by Milton. Here, it’s going to be sunny all week with some high surf along our beaches.

A late start but we are back in business. Thanks for the future featured reports and post. I saw where Sandi had gotten post #1 in but that disappeared. Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.6242500a3073a84c7565963d23383916.jpegimage.jpeg.ce3c9d5df4fed4fa281c8af99fa02e6d.jpegimage.jpeg.df21ce0f83410ad12c5ee8b9d82653bc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.21ab45da28824b336c7219a94fb7e9a4.jpeg

Bruce, a little more advice.  I'm sure Sue know to wash the sheets in cold water to get the blood out.  My I suggest a non-stick leak proof bandage, that can be held in place with the stretchy wrap.  Just be careful, because the wrap shrinks when wet.

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I am back from the dentist and sorry about all the worry this morning.  Apparently CC was out a long time because Graham emailed me he had been checking it since 6:30 a.m. UK time and it was down.  Thanks to Ann and Sharon for stepping in.  I was able to get a post in just before we left for the dentist, but the map wouldn't paste to the page so I left it off.

Here are the locations of the fleet currently.

image.thumb.png.b0698a9098281138586bcde3e63b2a61.png

and here are the links for Nagasaki, Japan.

Now we need to eat some lunch and I can come back and chat.  Thanks for everyone's patience but it was out of everyone's control here.  

Sandi, I saw your first post, and posted a quick one, but they both disappeared.  It looks like we were both posting the links at the same time.  I wasn't sure how soon you would be back from the dentist.

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

Thank you Ann and Sharon for posting today's reports.

I got the All Clear from the skin cancer clinic at the hospital this morning and it has been strange not being able to post on CC until now.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

That's great news, Graham.

12 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

ScreenShot2024-10-08at09_28_53.thumb.png.5063576380c338fb537e7cee79334614.png

Whoa, what a morning!!  With CC down, it totally disrupted my morning routine!!  But, alas, the first world problem was solved!  Thanks for everyone stepping up and starting the daily and fleet report!!  I will celebrate the 3 days and Helen Keller with an apple muffin but no way will my lips touch the drink!  Never been to Nagasaki, and the days in history are very interesting.  I remember getting my first microwave for ~$700 and that was so pricey then but it lasted for years.

We are slowing heading to temps below 100F but not quite yet.  I have been enjoying the milder days; I have a feeling I will be freezing on my cruise.  🤷‍♀️

I have to find a pharmacy that has the Moderna vaccine but that might be a challenge.  I will get the flu vaccine at my yearly appt but they don't have the covid vaccine.  I may just need to settle for Pfizer.  I also made an appt with a perio dentist; my regular dentist at the last cleaning in June wanted to give me a referral but it left without one and I didn't follow up.  So at my cleaning last Friday I asked for one and I have an appt on Thursday.  Not a fan of any kind of oral docs but this problem has lasted for so long (years) that I need to have it looked at or I will lose that tooth - which will open up a myriad of other problems.  Oh, well, what can you do, ya'ni!

The hurricane looks horrendous and I hope anyone in its path stays safe and evacuates if asked.  The news from @rafinmd, @StLouisCruisers, and @aliaschief sound good and I hope healing continues.  @bennybear beautiful aurora pics!!

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone.

Pennie, I hope you are able to find the Moderna vaccine, but a work of warning.  It seems to cause more of a reaction.  I hope your dental issues can be solved quickly and easily.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Like all of you, I was frustrated this morning when I couldn't get on CC.  CC and the first cup of coffee go hand in hand!   No yoga today as the instructor is out of town.  I went for a walk instead and made it two miles. I did have some pain the last tenth of a mile, but that is not from the back.  It is the rod in my femur from when I broke my hip.  It doesn't seem to like cold weather and it was cold last night.  It was 64 in the house again when I got up so I turned on the heat.  It is now comfortable in the house.

I was able to read Sandi's post earlier before it went poof.  I hope we can get it back.  Thank you, Ann @cat shepard for getting us started again.  Glad to see the blue bubble back.

Sue and I are planning to go north for a few days to do a color tour of northern Michigan.  We're going up for River's last soccer game and then we'll continue north.  I'd like to hit the eastern upper peninsula and then we'll come down and go to DS Barb's near Elk Rapids.  We especially want to do the Tunnel of Trees. The bad news on that is that it is supposed to rain all day on Sunday, so we may do the Tunnel of Trees on Monday when we leave Barb's.  

I am very concerned for those in Florida in the path of Milton.  I hope everyone is going inland and north.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope DGD Morgan is safe.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, thank you for sending an email to Elizabeth  @Haljo1935

I sent a message to Jake @Crazy For Cats, but have heard nothing back.  At one point he said he was trying to spend less time in front of the screen.

I'm also missing the messages from Tina @0106.  I hope her DH is doing well after his fall on their last cruise.  

Today's meal would be great for a quick breakfast.  Cookie and Kate recommends a slather of peanut butter on these muffins.  Healthy Apple Muffins Recipe - Cookie and Kate

applemuffins1.thumb.jpg.2296e7afd52297106f39c311662afdce.jpg

I had gotten this far the last time when everything went poof.  I hope this post lasts a little longer!  Here's another take on it,  Healthy Apple Muffins - Sally's Baking Addiction (sallysbakingaddiction.com)

applemuffins2.thumb.jpg.bb2f131ec4f90945a8af0550f3d017a8.jpg

This one also contains rolled oats.   Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins

applemuffins3.thumb.jpg.8c5dbd0e5be509026a6654e942a5bc23.jpg

apple muffins 1.jpg

Wishing you a wonderful day!

Debbie, I hope you and Sue enjoy your road trip this weekend.  I also hope River's team wins Saturday.

34 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks @dfish for the recipe as just we picked about 50 pounds of apples at D son’s  home.   Can’t believe he had so many without being able to water! 

Hope all can stay safe! 

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

IMG_2414.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

Brenda, thanks for the spectacular pictures.  WOW!

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Hope all can stay safe! 

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

IMG_2414.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Heading out for our walk this am! 
Brenda just stunning! Beautiful! Love the photography and how you capture the moment! These are keepers

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Denise😌

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

We have been to Nagasaki twice -- 2002 on the APEC cruise on Volendam and 2005 on the War in the Pacific Theater cruise on Pacific Princess.  It is an easy town to walk in and to use the tram to get around.  This is the first group of pictures I posted of our stops in Nagasaki.  

These are pictures of the Peace Park, an extensive area and these are just a few of the monuments.

The bomb was dropped on August 9, 1945 at 11:02 am.

IMG_1052.thumb.JPG.3685949743f01f99a79fcf5605ee83e5.JPG

As in Hiroshima, a portion of a building was left standing as a memorial.

IMG_1054.thumb.JPG.914591a07a2500700a784569a57038b8.JPG

These are just a small sampling of the Peace Park.

IMG_5125.thumb.JPG.01365bf0adcafc0e56dffe2be196e10d.JPG

IMG_5127.thumb.JPG.82265da47db02e650b71aa87c85fd43c.JPG

IMG_5131.thumb.JPG.a9efa1379e71ef088e68e7b1bd6ca00f.JPG

IMG_5133.thumb.JPG.c5e38640927b46400c5e1f1b1cbf0a93.JPG

IMG_5138.thumb.JPG.f2a0b3e1a019b2a43e70478a3474a1f2.JPG

The park and the entire 2005 cruise commemorating the various battles to take back the Pacific Islands was a very moving experience.

There will be more in another post.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

The first picture is related to our first visit to Nagasaki.  In 2002, while the Diamond Princess and the Sapphire Princess were being built there, the Diamond caught fire and was pretty much gutted.  In order to meet the launch deadline, the Sapphire became the Diamond, and the original Diamond was renamed Sapphire.  This is what greeted us when we arrived in Nagasaki.

IMG_1025.thumb.JPG.f990d2b7f3d3dd0b7fde4dfb670131ee.JPG

These pictures were taken in the older part of the city.

IMG_1038.thumb.JPG.51eaa3c12dc809ed2533d8e797115b02.JPG

IMG_1041.thumb.JPG.bac39a2d94a75c8ae5adb05672e8e422.JPG

IMG_5141.thumb.JPG.4b745127d44c6a07793b99b85d01bfaa.JPG

This a typical shopping arcade that is found in many Japanese cities.  There was a pachinko parlor part way down, and DH went in to see if he could figure out the game.  Even then, I'm not sure if we really understond it. 

IMG_5149.thumb.JPG.0554699fddf3da0b23e5382a4b318ae8.JPG

These next pictures show a small part of the more modern city.

IMG_1035.thumb.JPG.cdfd0a6af77c762d328f728e6acb9983.JPG

IMG_5147.thumb.JPG.22d7c802dacd846811e9c8a5b9b72762.JPG

This was taken looking at the city as we sailed.IMG_5163.thumb.JPG.19ac421ed28d64a86da75449915b5e66.JPG

This is a comparison of the send offs between the two stops in Nagasaki.  The first two were in 2002 on the Volendam, and the last was taken in 2005 on the Pacific Princess.

IMG_1063.thumb.JPG.1275feca52c93aba01c5ed2e513781a8.JPG

IMG_1065.thumb.JPG.9e54af56bb63f78c09e1bff7b99426a6.JPG

IMG_5160.thumb.JPG.df182df1697fa5d1a41b8494db86f06f.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. I got caught in the disappearance of CC earlier and then no time to come back as my cable company was coming by to install a new receiver box. This is the last day my old one would work. They were scheduled between 9 and 10 and at 9:03 he walked through the door. He was out of here by 9:30. I rarely watch TV and have an old one and I was very suspicious of the new box, but it seems to work ok. I probably need to replace it (the TV) but the picture is good and I get what I want.

So back to sorting with some breaks to read and since I did not sleep too well last night, probably nap. Dogs will need to be walked shortly. Several errands to run. All I need to do is get up from this chair and get started.

Am thinking of all in the path of Milton... it sounds awful.

Susan

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Pennie, I hope you are able to find the Moderna vaccine, but a work of warning.  It seems to cause more of a reaction.  I hope your dental issues can be solved quickly and easily.

Lenda

👍  I am team Moderna all the way as I was in the original Moderna Covid vaccine study.  Of the 6 (?) shots I have gotten for Covid, all have been Moderna.  Plus it is such a small company, compared to the behemoth Pfizer (👎)..........  LOL!!! 

• Like 24

51 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Well Dailyites. What a morning. I know Sandi succeeded in posting what I just did, and at least two people had a chance to reply. My attempt failed. And now those posts are gone. Truly a first world problem. But we all worry. 

Just a fast post from me. Bindi is giving me “the look”. 

@cunnorl Charlene & @St Pete Cruiser Please be careful. Milton is predicted to head a bit more Northeast before making landfall. 

iPhone 14 & later owners - be sure to read the Apple support page on how to send text messages if you lose cellular power. 

Everyone be safe. 

2021 Enotah

This is a first. The best I can do is  label & 3 year old consumer review of this Georgia wine. This is either the second or third from this state. 

We might need our Georgian Dailyites to research the price for us. I could not find one, even after clicking the “Check for price” link. 🤔

Sandi, I know you like whites. If you ever come across it, and it is not super expensive, perhaps you could try it & share thoughts with us. 

$????

IMG_3581.jpeg.011ecee92aedd8adab883f4f4f82a241.jpeg

I will do my best!

• Like 15

Bit of a panic this morning when I couldn’t start my day with the daily! I did leave to do my weekly shopping and hoped I would get access when I got back and here we are!

heard from my 90 year old friend who evacuated to Alabama. They were happy to have left before the roads got clogged with evacuees fleeing but think their bigger challenge will be driving home after the storm. Our friends in Clearwater are well out of the mandatory evacuation zone and have hunkered down for the duration. The huge old trees on the complex could be the issue unfortunately.

prayers for all in the path of Milton 

• Like 25

I am worried about Morgan in Tampa/Clearwater.  She was told today the Florida Aquarium will NOT be open for her to stay there to feed the "fishies".  I don't know if they will be fed at all but that's not my worry.  She now has nowhere safe to stay, and the gas stations are pretty much without gas.  She found one but when a fight broke out she got away from there before the guns were pulled out.  Her words according to her mom, my DD.  We are all sick with worry!  DD had to take a break and the principal taught her students for a bit because she is so emotional.  I wish our offer to host Morgan and her boyfriend here had been taken up a few days ago.  Now might be too late.  I'm tempted to beg someone in a safe area out of the evacuation zones in Florida to take her and Rossi in.  We can't do a thing for her up here now.  Please pray the news is better for her very soon.  I'm hoping the Tampa Bay area isn't hit the hardest.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Greetings from a nervous and stressed St Petersburg.  Milton is still forecast to approach us late tomorrow (WED) with cat 3 winds and storm surge.  Hopefully by tomorrow morning, we will know if we have to move to a higher location.

We were able to fill our gas tank last night after finding most gas stations were sold out earlier.  Expecting to loose power, we have several blocks of ice in the freezer along with extra water and canned goods.  

Prayers for all those in need to today!  

We did venture out to friends for dinner last evening, knowing it might be our last chance to do so for days. On I275 southbound we saw this beautiful 1953(?) Chevrolet Deluxe Sedan evacuating with many others.

20241007_165736.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

👍  I am team Moderna all the way as I was in the original Moderna Covid vaccine study.  Of the 6 (?) shots I have gotten for Covid, all have been Moderna.  Plus it is such a small company, compared to the behemoth Pfizer (👎)..........  LOL!!! 

My understanding is it has a higher dose,  so may also be more effective.  We’ve had mostly Pfizer but Moderna was very similar for us, perhaps a bit better.  The easiest is Novavax for side effects and supposed to last the longest.  But alas not available in Canada. 

Thanks for all the nice comments about the aurora.  We were so fortunate that it was right at our home.  Some in our backyard,  the photos I posted are all unedited.   We see lots where people really enhance them. 

@StLouisCruisers hope Morgan can find somewhere safe.  Yikes!

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We did venture out to friends for dinner last evening, knowing it might be our last chance to do so for days. On I275 southbound we saw this beautiful 1953(?) Chevrolet Deluxe Sedan evacuating with many others.

20241007_165736.jpg

Correction: 1951!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

For Sandi, regarding Morgan:

Shelters are opening up. There are numbers to call for free rides to shelters. 311 in most of the urban areas.  Bring ear plugs, pillow and a book. They’ll be safe. And hopefully they’ll have a generator at shelters to charge phones. Let us know what you hear!  
Maureen  

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am worried about Morgan in Tampa/Clearwater.  She was told today the Florida Aquarium will NOT be open for her to stay there to feed the "fishies".  I don't know if they will be fed at all but that's not my worry.  She now has nowhere safe to stay, and the gas stations are pretty much without gas.  She found one but when a fight broke out she got away from there before the guns were pulled out.  Her words according to her mom, my DD.  We are all sick with worry!  DD had to take a break and the principal taught her students for a bit because she is so emotional.  I wish our offer to host Morgan and her boyfriend here had been taken up a few days ago.  Now might be too late.  I'm tempted to beg someone in a safe area out of the evacuation zones in Florida to take her and Rossi in.  We can't do a thing for her up here now.  Please pray the news is better for her very soon.  I'm hoping the Tampa Bay area isn't hit the hardest.

Sandi - you have mail. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hello my Daily friends.  Thanks for thinking of me Debbie @dfish.  My DH is ok but I have been very busy taking care of him; I was not cut out to be a nurse.  Managing his medications and doctor’s visits is a full time job.  Previously,  I was in charge of the kitchen…grocery shopping, meals, and laundry.  Now I am in charge of everything; I forgot how much I hated to vacuum and clean the bathrooms.  I did enjoy gardening this weekend.  I had to move several sun loving plants from the shade of an oak tree that has flourished since we planted it 20 years ago.  I’m nervous about the peonies, they were from my grandmother’s yard.  I think I’ll go out to water them now.

Thinking of everyone in Milton’s path.  Positive thoughts to those suffering emotionally or physically.  Cheers to those with something to celebrate.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

37 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

We could only find Pizer here so we figured it was better than nothing. 

• Like 13