Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

I get it, we have no idea what any entity pays for these or whether what they do have is reasonable or not. My point in mentioning Disney was that they try and do damage control as well she bad things happen (and they do, to all cruise lies and resorts, despite the misguided views of some here).
I agree. No line will disclose their security budget. You can only speculate if one line's security is stretched due to budget issues.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

I don't think this was a money issue, it was an 'attitude' issue!

A large group who thought because they were a large group could do/say/act any way they wanted!

99.9% of large groups would never think of acting like this, cause it's not normal, it is mentally ill! From the reporting, this large group had an 'attitude', as those on the ship stated, they were looking for trouble from day one!

It’s referring back to statement at the beginning of the thread that said these brawls happen because the new lowered rates are allowing “ferals” to cruise.

Voyager of the Seas 11/03

Enchantment of the Seas 3/17

Radiance of the Seas 6/18

Airlines tack on a security surcharge for TSA. Maybe a security surcharge is in order on Carnival to help fund the cost of improved onboard security in the future?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Who knows, maybe this is a one off we have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCL has no limit on their drink pkge. while Carnival has a 15 drink limit! Not sure it matters, but it might!:confused:

But they either already do or will shortly. 99% of that decision is cost based and not from control.

There now are more articles being printed about the melee. They are saying that the perps are Italian and were picking on any Aussie they could find trying to edge them into fighting. IMO they should have been put off the ship long before it got to the final brawl. The act of ship security and other ship personnel kicking pax pinned on the floor is not professional by any means. Have you seen any law enforcement kicking people on the ground while not trying to break it up. One article said that security at one point was holding broken bottles to ward off the perps. It all points to Carnival's lack of training and equipping their security forces. Seeing this what would happen if a terrorist managed to get aboard intent on taking down the ship? Not very reassuring in the least.

The Captain claiming there was nothing he could do to stop the altercations when they first started is inexcusable. He is responsible for the safety of all aboard and that is what we the pax expect. He needs to be reprimanded for his cavalier attitude. When this occurs on an aircraft, the captain finds an immediate place to land and summons the police to remove the perp.

Finally Carnival offering everyone a 25% discount on future cruises is as lame as they come. Really, 25% off a future cruise? Carnival now has a major hit on their brand and had better step up and address it. Sweeping it under the rug will result in loss of pax and revenue.

I don’t think the drink package can be blamed. There’s a limit on how many can be purchased, and there’s no package on that ship in that part of the world.

Even if there were, people are responsible for their own actions. For every person who has a package, there many more who have one and act accordingly.

From what I read, these two groups were itching to fight for days. Carnival could have heeded the warnings through observation and possibly intervened earlier.

A swift response from carnival can help alleviate some of the damage control they now need to do. Has anyone heard from carnival regarding this incident?

It’s referring back to statement at the beginning of the thread that said these brawls happen because the new lowered rates are allowing “ferals” to cruise.

Voyager of the Seas 11/03

Enchantment of the Seas 3/17

Radiance of the Seas 6/18

Carnival is not the cheapest ship cruising in Aussie waters. They were just unfortunate to have a large ethnic family group onboard with a ‘chip on their shoulder’, intent on causing trouble. I have read accounts from passengers onboard / they threatened people who dared look sideways, calling them ‘Aussie Dogs’ etc and worse names. Passengers also stated they were relieved that security broke up and stopped the frightening brawl. As I’ve stated earlier in the thread, though I believe they should have been put off earlier. As it was, security were following them around, passengers had reported them. Many passengers were afraid of them. They were threatening and aggressive around the pool area during the day. Security even warned people to stay away from them. I don’t even think they drank that much, just nasty people.

Security behavior was abysmal.

No, the behavior of the family group was abysmal.

Agree! Let's put the blame on the perpetrator(s). Had it not been for their behavior it wouldn't have gotten to the point it did.

It does appear though that once it did, Carnival staff's approach ( according to video) was suspect.

You can train the staff all you want, but once adrenaline kicks in ( no pun intended) you never know what one is capable of.

Disiplinary action in 2013 on the Carnival Splendor was pretty quick when a woman slapped the Captain across the face for missing the Chilean fjords due to weather and again when someone threw the shoe that was reserving a seat in the balcony in the theater to the lower level.

Both were confined to cabin and let off at the next port which was Ushuaia (at thebottom of the world :D!)

No comparison of course to the current situation, but I think Carnival missed many warning signs about this group and did little to avoid an escalation.

Our last trip with Carnival was in January 2016 out of New Orleans and I do have to say that were several groups of people who made other passengers uncomfortable and their experience on board unpleasant. Haven't sailed with Carnival since.

The drink pkges on RCL are 'not' limited, can't say what they will do in the future!

right around the corner.... got it straight from the horses mouth. Already announced is now all adults in a cabin and the rest right around the corner.

Have read several media reports about this cruise. There was a family group of about 26 feral animals who had been aggressive and causing scuffles including among themselves from the day the cruise started, and they were also threatening and abusive to others. Their behavior included scuffling with themselves and others in public spaces including in front of frightened children.

I believe that Carnival security failed initially by failing to clamp down on this behaviour on day one.

When the final mass brawl broke out it looks like there may have been some loss of self control by security but without knowing and seeing the full situation we can't know. I do believe however, that if the security people saw an individual as being a direct threat to their own and other's safety, for example they possess a weapon, that they may have been justified in kicking a person on the ground to incapacitate them and prevent them from getting up and using the weapon. We just don't know.

I feel very sorry for anyone else on that cruise and it reinforces my own rule about not going on any cruises of less than 7 days. The shorter ones have a habit of being drunken party cruises.

I feel very sorry for anyone else on that cruise and it reinforces my own rule about not going on any cruises of less than 7 days. The shorter ones have a habit of being drunken party cruises.

Of course this was a 10-day cruise.

Hey if kicking works to break it up and I'm on the bottom getting smothered or strangled by some smelly violent drunk (And I don't see where it was the person on bottom at all btw) kick away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Keep looking. There's video of him circling the melee, stomping 4+ times (about evenly distributed, top and bottom). He wasn't trying to break it up, he was administering "street justice".

Then there is the white-shirted security female assaulting the holder of a smartphone.

Then there is Captain Gazzano, on scene that night, and allowing both. And who, knowing days before

that until the Legend got near enough to land, he was stuck with escalating trouble from the group, but

failed to cut off their bar privileges.

Then there are the bartenders who didn't 86 them on their own initiative when they had a mean drunk on

their hands.

Then there is Captain Gazzano, on scene that night, and allowing both. And who, knowing days before that until the Legend got near enough to land, he was stuck with escalating trouble from the group, but failed to cut off their bar privileges.

Was that Captain Gazzano towards the beginning? The older gentleman in a white uniform walking away towards the camera?

I just saw the one video and the one shot. I will stand by my original statement and add that this was a really bizarre occurrence and I think the crew members acted as they could. That's a small portion of what was actually happening on that ship. I saw a video of people cheering that they were finally removed. I really blame carnival for not removing them earlier or putting them in brig. That's where carnival erred. Not kicking some sloppy drunk. I'd kick him too for ruining my vacation.

So many conclusions based on about 2 minutes of video. Blame carnival for overacting response, not acting sooner, lack of training, alcohol involvement, whatever. No one on cruise critic yet knows the full story. Let’s take a breath before condemning anyone.

I just saw the one video and the one shot. I will stand by my original statement and add that this was a really bizarre occurrence and I think the crew members acted as they could. That's a small portion of what was actually happening on that ship. I saw a video of people cheering that they were finally removed. I really blame carnival for not removing them earlier or putting them in brig. That's where carnival erred. Not kicking some sloppy drunk. I'd kick him too for ruining my vacation.

(y)